OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 11:48:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO Monophysite or Miaphysite?  (Read 3865 times) Average Rating: 0
Pericles

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:48 AM »

I understand this can be a controversial topic but are there any OO's that are happy to be described as, or who self-identify as, being Monophysite? How many are content that Miaphysitism is generally seen as a sub-category of Monophysitism?

It occurs to me since the lifting of the mutual anathemas that from the EO perspective there are interpretations of Monophysitism that are acceptable to Chalcedonians. Yet from what I've seen from publications on the net OO authors seem to be insisting that OO's are not Monophysite at all?

In short can I get a Proud Monophysite Grin

Monophysitism Reconsidered

Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »

Calling someone Miaphysite instead of Monophysite is a bit like calling someone a person of colour rather than a coloured person. They mean pretty much the exact same thing, but one has a pejorative connotation (in this case it is associated with a particular heresy) while the other does not.

As long as 'monophysite' continues to imply that Christ was only divine, that His divinity swallowed up His humanity, or that the two were mingled or altered as a result of the hypostatic union, most OO will probably continue to insist on being called 'miaphysites'. It hasn't completely worked though. I recently read a paper in the Cambridge History of Early Christianity where the author, keen not to offend, used the term 'miaphysite' rather than 'monophysite'. The problem was that she was using 'miaphysite' to mean the belief that Christ was only divine and not human. So perhaps better to make the distinction between orthodox monophysitism (or 'moderate monophysitism' as academics often use) and heretical monophysitism, before 'miaphysite' simply ends up taking on the old heretical/pejorative definition.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »

As I always say, if you're comfortable calling St. Cyril "Monophysite", then we're comfortable with being called that too.  The whole point is to point to the source of our beliefs, who is revered as a Church father by all.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Pericles

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »

Calling someone Miaphysite instead of Monophysite is a bit like calling someone a person of colour rather than a coloured person. They mean pretty much the exact same thing, but one has a pejorative connotation (in this case it is associated with a particular heresy) while the other does not.

So theres a prejudice implied and thats how it's perceived by OO's but it would be unusual for no one to turn around and say, well hey I'm a Monophysite and I'm proud of it!

As long as 'monophysite' continues to imply that Christ was only divine, that His divinity swallowed up His humanity, or that the two were mingled or altered as a result of the hypostatic union, most OO will probably continue to insist on being called 'miaphysites'. It hasn't completely worked though. I recently read a paper in the Cambridge History of Early Christianity where the author, keen not to offend, used the term 'miaphysite' rather than 'monophysite'. The problem was that she was using 'miaphysite' to mean the belief that Christ was only divine and not human. So perhaps better to make the distinction between orthodox monophysitism (or 'moderate monophysitism' as academics often use) and heretical monophysitism, before 'miaphysite' simply ends up taking on the old heretical/pejorative definition.

As you said above it means the same thing 'One Nature' and however that one divine nature, or monophysis, is explained and defined it will allways amount to the same thing because the humanity of Christ, and whatever is meant by that, exists only in relation to and in the context of his absolute divinity.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:41:00 AM by Pericles » Logged

Pericles

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »

As I always say, if you're comfortable calling St. Cyril "Monophysite", then we're comfortable with being called that too.  The whole point is to point to the source of our beliefs, who is revered as a Church father by all.

One Nature of God the Logos Incarnate
I don't have a problem seeing this as a Monophysite statement but then I don't mean the term in a pejorative way and don't wish to offend.

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »

I don't have a problem seeing this as a Monophysite statement but then I don't mean the term in a pejorative way and don't wish to offend.

Mia Physis tou Theou Logou Sesarkomene

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »

You may have no problem with it, but there's a hypocritical approach from scholars to call OOs Monophysite, but St. Cyril Orthodox, as if this phrase never existed in his slew of writings and thought.

It's why OOs take a stand and just say, "We're not Monophysite, get your malarkey together."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:41:29 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »

Just pronounce the o as an a and its cool.

This is Mina my monaphysite.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »

That just makes me sound black...

holla @ yo monaphysite?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:48:45 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »

If "monophysite" were used as a categorical term like "dyophysite" is sometimes, then I don't think there would be so many problems.

Dyophysite Christologies:
+ Chalcedonian
+ Nestorian
etc.

Monophysite Christologies:
+ Non-Chalcedonian (Miaphysite)
+ Eutychian
etc.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »

If "monophysite" were used as a categorical term like "dyophysite" is sometimes, then I don't think there would be so many problems.

Dyophysite Christologies:
+ Chalcedonian
+ Nestorian
etc.

Monophysite Christologies:
+ Non-Chalcedonian (Miaphysite)
+ Eutychian
etc.

Exactly!
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »

holla @ yo monaphysite?

What ever happend to those monofists?

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »

holla @ yo monaphysite?

monafizite wut?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 07:02:20 PM »

holla @ yo monaphysite?

Is that like what they do in a kung-fu movie?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:14:12 AM »

monafizite wut?

a little humor from the private forum.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 09:14:57 AM »

Is that like what they do in a kung-fu movie?

Yes, but without the bad lip-syncing.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »

Does anyone know when the term "Miaphysite" started to be used and by whom?  Would using "Henophysite" been the better way to go?

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 10:17:39 AM »

This phrase is always translated so badly. It should be, "one incarnate nature." The standard interpretation according to the Chalcedonians, like the Leontioi, Maximus the Confessor, and John of Damascus is that this formula is not monophysite at all.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:23:56 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »

Does anyone know when the term "Miaphysite" started to be used and by whom?  Would using "Henophysite" been the better way to go?

What would the difference be? In Greek the number and noun have to agree in gender. Mia is 'one' feminine. For example, in the Creed we say "hena Theon" and "hena Kurion" but "mian, agian, katholiken kai apostoliken Ekklesia"* since the word "ekklesia" is feminin. Switching to the masculine or neuter doesn't change the meaning.

* Apologies for Erasmian rather than phonetic spelling.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:17:39 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 11:30:56 AM »

monafizite wut?

a little humor from the private forum.

Less humor from the rest of the world.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »

You may have no problem with it, but there's a hypocritical approach from scholars to call OOs Monophysite, but St. Cyril Orthodox, as if this phrase never existed in his slew of writings and thought.

Actually, during the theological debates of 523, one of the Chalcedonian representatives, Hypatius of Ephesus, believed that all the references of "one nature" in St. Cyril's writings were "...the result of interpolation by heretics".

From "Nestorius was Orthodox" by Milton V. Anastos, Dumbarton Oaks Papers, Vol. 16 (1962), pp. 117-140

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1291160

The footnote on p. 120 reads:

In 532, Hypatius of Ephesus, a strict Chalcedonian, denounced the Apollinarian forgeries. He refused to believe that the highly revered Cyril could ever have been duped by them and preferred to regard the frequent appearance of the Apollinarian formula in Cyril's works as the result of interpolation by heretics: Acta conciliorum oecumenicorum, ed. Eduard Schwartz (cited infra as ACO), 4, 2 (Berlin, 1914), 171.40-173.2, 179.38-180.3; cf. note 8 infra.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »

What would the difference be? In Greek the number and noun have to agree in gender. Mia is 'one' feminine. For example, in the Creed we say "hena Theon" and "hena Kurion" but "mian, agian, katholiken kai apostoliken Ekklesia"* since the word "ekklesia" is feminin. Switching to the masculine or neuter doesn't change the meaning.

* Apologies for Erasmian rather than phonetic spelling.

My impression, if I'm not mistaken, from those posters here knowledgeable in Greek is "Miaphysite" is a distinction without a difference from "Monophysite".  But Henophysite may more clearly indicate the intent of the union of natures. I think I came across that point from something Fr. John McGuckin wrote.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »

Does anyone know when the term "Miaphysite" started to be used and by whom?  Would using "Henophysite" been the better way to go?

But then the reference to St. Cyril would be lost.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »

My impression, if I'm not mistaken, from those posters here knowledgeable in Greek is "Miaphysite" is a distinction without a difference from "Monophysite".  But Henophysite may more clearly indicate the intent of the union of natures. I think I came across that point from something Fr. John McGuckin wrote.

I don't see the reasoning behind it. 'Mono' and 'mia' are numerically the same, but at least they're different words - 'only/single' and 'one' - 'hen' and 'mia' are the same word, just different genders, so I don't see what it would change.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:11:28 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »

But then the reference to St. Cyril would be lost.

Just thinking out loud I guess.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »

I don't see the reasoning behind it. 'Mono' and 'mia' are numerically the same, but at least they're different words - 'only/single' and 'one' - 'hen' and 'mia' are the same word, just different genders, so I don't see what it would change.

Sorry, Orthodox11. This is where my ignorance comes into play. I though "Heno" meant union or joining into one, not just a single one like "mono". 

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 12:45:18 PM »

This is what I found using my mad netodox skills:

Footnote 9, p. 262:

S. Brock, ‘The Christology of the Church of the East’, in Tradition and Heritage of
the Christian East: Proceedings of the International Conference (Moscow, 1996), 163–4,
proposes Miaphysite or Henophysite as more accurate alternatives; although the
former has now been adopted by some, Monophysite remains the recognized term.

http://www.carmelapologetics.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/the_late_Geoffrey_de_Ste._Croix-Christian_Persecution_Martyrdom_and_Orthodoxy-Oxford_University_Press_USA2006.pdf

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:47 PM »

Sorry, Orthodox11. This is where my ignorance comes into play. I though "Heno" meant union or joining into one, not just a single one like "mono". 

Perhaps the 'ω' would denote some kind of joining, as in the word ἐνωσις (union). There should be a canon against discussing theology using the Latin alphabet Smiley
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »

Again, if it's semantics, I won't disagree.  But the problem again, it's not the semantic nature of it, but the pejorative way it is used.  If your most strict Chalcedonian is willing to call St. Cyril by the same terminology, then I don't mind being called whatever he's called, even a "Monosesarkomeniphysite" if that's what you want to call him.

In the end, people tend to call him "Orthodox" and so do we call ourselves.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 04:16:38 PM »

Again, if it's semantics, I won't disagree.  But the problem again, it's not the semantic nature of it, but the pejorative way it is used.  If your most strict Chalcedonian is willing to call St. Cyril by the same terminology, then I don't mind being called whatever he's called, even a "Monosesarkomeniphysite" if that's what you want to call him.

In the end, people tend to call him "Orthodox" and so do we call ourselves.

mono or mia, either way you're slang for disease or disorder.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »

Oh, mama mia!

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »

Oh, mama mia!
Mia lika this movie.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:05:07 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 12:32:22 AM »

This is what I consider to be perhaps the most concise and thorough statement of the Miaphysite Faith from St Cyril:

"Accordingly when we assert the union of the Word of God the Father to his holy body which has a rational soul, a union which is ineffable and beyond thought and which took place without blending, without change, without alteration, we confess one Christ, Son and Lord, the Word of God the Father, the same God and man, not one and another, but one and the same, being, and known to be, God and man. Therefore sometimes he speaks as man according to the dispensation and according to his humanity, and sometimes as God he makes statements by the authority of his divinity.

"And we make the following assertions also. While skillfully examining the manner of his dispensation with the flesh and finely probing the mystery, we see that the Word of God the Father was made man and was made flesh and that he has not fashioned that holy body from his divine nature but rather took it from the Virgin Mary. Since how did he become man, if he has not possessed a body like ours? Considering, therefore, as I said, the manner of his Incarnation we see that his two natures came together with each other in an indissoluble union, without blending and without change, for his flesh is flesh and not divinity, even though his flesh became the flesh of God, and likewise the Word also is God and not flesh, even though he made the flesh his own according to the dispensation.

"Therefore, whenever we have these thoughts in no way do we harm the joining into a unity by saying he was of two natures, but after the union, we do not separate the natures from one another, nor do we cut the one and indivisible Son into two sons, but we say that there is one Son, and as the holy Fathers have said, that there is one nature of the Word [of God] made flesh."
- Papa Abba St Cyril of Alexandria, Letter 45:6 (to Succenus, Bishop of Diocaesarea in Isauria)

Emphasis mine.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:33:08 AM by zekarja » Logged

Remnkemi

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »

Again, if it's semantics, I won't disagree.  But the problem again, it's not the semantic nature of it, but the pejorative way it is used....In the end, people tend to call him "Orthodox" and so do we call ourselves. 
Agreed. Just look the first post of the thread calling Metropolitan Kallistos Ware a heretic because he communed to "monophysites" which was changed to "Oriental Orthodox". The reason given for censoring the text is that monophysite is a "forbidden epithet". It is forbidden because it is always (or close to always) used pejoratively by Chalcedonian Orthodox. I wonder if it would make sense if the moderators would have changed the sentence in that thread to "[Heretic] Metropolitan Kallistos Ware confirmed in writing in 1984, that he gives Communion to the Orthodox.

I agree with the moderators. They needed to change such shameful language. In reality, the problem lies in the Chalcedonian mind that wants to distinguish Dyophysite vs. Miaphysite (or as you said Monosesarkomenesyte) but refuses to make any distinction between Miaphysite (or as you said Monosesarkomenesyte) vs. Euthycianism. And since both the Dyophysite and Miphysite Christologies validate their Christologies by St Cyril, both should clearly be called Orthodox.

Sooner or later, "Oriental Orthodox" will become a forbidden epithet. It is already forbidden by many strict anti-ecumenical Chalcedonians like this one. What word will the moderators use then?
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 03:08:38 PM »

This is kinda late...but I get it now...LOL!!!!

As opposed to the 100% mortality rate of the opposing term ;-)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:13:09 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Remnkemi

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »

This phrase is always translated so badly. It should be, "one incarnate nature." The standard interpretation according to the Chalcedonians, like the Leontioi, Maximus the Confessor, and John of Damascus is that this formula is not monophysite at all.
Sorry this seems wrong. I don't know Greek and I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong. As I understand it, "mia" is a feminine adjective, "physis" is a feminine noun. Mia is an adjective that modifies the noun physis, not the nominal phrase "incarnate nature". According to TLG, "sesarkomene" is the perfect participle mid-pass fem nom/voc sg. Doesn't it make more linguistic sense that "theou" is modifying "sesarkomene" (Incarnate God) instead of "mia" modifying "sesarkomen"?

If it were "one incarnate nature", wouldn't the Greek be "Mia sesarkomen physis tou theou" or "Mia physis sesarkomen to theou"?

zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »

Again, if it's semantics, I won't disagree.  But the problem again, it's not the semantic nature of it, but the pejorative way it is used....In the end, people tend to call him "Orthodox" and so do we call ourselves.
Agreed. Just look the first post of the thread calling Metropolitan Kallistos Ware a heretic because he communed to "monophysites" which was changed to "Oriental Orthodox". The reason given for censoring the text is that monophysite is a "forbidden epithet". It is forbidden because it is always (or close to always) used pejoratively by Chalcedonian Orthodox. I wonder if it would make sense if the moderators would have changed the sentence in that thread to "[Heretic] Metropolitan Kallistos Ware confirmed in writing in 1984, that he gives Communion to the Orthodox.

I agree with the moderators. They needed to change such shameful language. In reality, the problem lies in the Chalcedonian mind that wants to distinguish Dyophysite vs. Miaphysite (or as you said Monosesarkomenesyte) but refuses to make any distinction between Miaphysite (or as you said Monosesarkomenesyte) vs. Euthycianism. And since both the Dyophysite and Miphysite Christologies validate their Christologies by St Cyril, both should clearly be called Orthodox.

Sooner or later, "Oriental Orthodox" will become a forbidden epithet. It is already forbidden by many strict anti-ecumenical Chalcedonians like this one. What word will the moderators use then?

St Cyril of Alexandria, a mutual saint, and the infamous St Severus of Antioch and such hold to the Cyrillian Christology that denies mixture, commingling, and confusion of Christ's humanity and his divinity.

Miaphysitism: Christ in one united nature (of two natures) in one person, his divinity united with his humanity in a real and perfect union without mingling, without confusion, without alteration, without division, without separation.
Eutychianism: Christ has one Nature of God and Man that is mixed and confused.

Hermias: But if we say that the Nature of the Son is One, even though He be conceived of as Incarnate, all need is there to confess that confusion and commixture take place the nature of man being lost as it were within Him. For what is the nature of man unto the excellency of Godhead?
Cyril: In highest degree, my friend, is he an idle talker who says that confusion and commixture have place, if one Nature of the Son Incarnate and made man, is confessed by us: for one will not be able to make proof thereof by needful and true deductions. But if they set their own. will as a law to us, they devised a counsel which they cannot establish, for we must give heed, not to them but to the God-inspired Scripture... - St Cyril of Alexandria, That Christ is One

[emphasis mine]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:17:23 PM by zekarja » Logged

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 03:16:28 PM »

Again, if it's semantics, I won't disagree.  But the problem again, it's not the semantic nature of it, but the pejorative way it is used....In the end, people tend to call him "Orthodox" and so do we call ourselves.

At the very least our clinging to the term "Miaphysite" will at least put us in a position to wait for the trap of their condemnation of the term, and our validation of keeping the Cyrillian Orthodox faith Wink  I mean really that's the whole point.  If Miaphysitism is a heresy, St. Cyril is a heretic.

Patrick Barnes is a character
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:18:09 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Remnkemi

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 03:22:11 PM »

As we always have done in the past, we should cling to the term "Orthodox" before "Miaphysite" for keeping the Cyrillian Orthodox faith.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »

Aren't you studying to be a doc or something?

I really thought the brilliance in assonance and near rhyme (full rhyme if said properly) and working in mononucleosis and bulimia while suggesting we just don't like you people was great.

Glad someone got it, late or otherwise!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:58:07 PM by orthonorm » Logged

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »

Aren't you studying to be a doc or something?

I really thought the brilliance in assonance and near rhyme (full rhyme if said properly) and working in mononucleosis and bulimia while suggesting we just don't like you people was great.

Glad someone got it, late or otherwise!

Mono is popularly known...but not Mia...hence why I'm late in getting it  Wink

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 10:01:27 PM »

"Non-Chalcedonian" is a term that is acceptable to both sides, if I understand correctly.  As I said in another recent post, no one is required to call us Orthodox.  If "Oriental Orthodox" offends anyone, they can use "Non-Chalcedonian."  Calling us "Monophysite," though, is forbidden in the public forums because it is too contentious and polemics is forbidden here.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 10:31:39 PM »

I think we should start calling each other Monophysites and ban non-OOs for saying it:

Where my Monophysites at!  Monophysite please!  You know you always be my Monophysite!  Word! (Incarnate)

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »

I agree with the rest of what you said, but I think this is looking at it the wrong way, because it gives those Chalcedonians a sort of power (at least theoretically, in debate) to define what Orthodoxy is even for those who aren't in communion with them in the first place (and hence obviously likely don't see them as Orthodox in the first place). I have tried to impress this point upon many an EO inquirer on this very board, but somehow it never seems to sink in. You've read the Chalcedonian polemics, and obviously side with them, but why then do you think you can point to those same polemics (like the stuff in the link) and assume that it should leave non-Chalcedonians quaking in their boots, begging to be accepted by the Russians or the Greeks or whomever? As though these are our Fathers just because they are yours? I mean here quotes from John Damascene, or the monks of Mt. Athos, or wherever else. Sometimes they are interesting, sometimes they are insightful, but I don't care about these people when they go on and on about the "heresy of the Egyptians" or whatever, because I've studied the Egyptians in question themselves, from their own writings, under the tutelage of other actual Egyptians, too. And I'm supposed to disregard what I've learned of what they actually teach and believe because of polemics on the internet that can't even keep their story straight sometimes (perhaps you remember the great ruckus when one "Abouna" Athanasius Henein 'converted' to EOxy? There was a thread about it on here some months ago, which revealed the man to be very, very confused, accusing us of somehow being Monophysites and Nestorians at the same time!)? Fat chance. So I always say (in contexts where it comes up, as when talking to Latin friends who also have this "Orthodox = Chalcedonian" mindset, too, for obvious reasons) that when I use the word Orthodox self-referentially, I am not intending to speak for the EO in the slightest -- rather, where/when we agree, we agree. But you will never find me begging to be considered Orthodox by anyone, because I am only trying to follow what our Fathers St. Cyril, St. Athanasius, St. Basil and others laid down as fundamental to the Orthodox faith. Such strong, clear, foundational teachers of our faith cannot be degraded by internet polemic, and so neither will my faith in the Orthodoxy of our confession (which is to say, in ORTHODOXY, period).

I do not understand why every non-Chalcedonian does not take a similar approach. It has been suggested by our common friend Stavros (I think that's what he goes by on here, anyway) that the view I have been taught is something of a minority within the Coptic Orthodox Church itself, where people apparently prefer to treat EO as if they are de facto Orthodox, and so we should be in that sense pro-Chalcedonian. Well, I can't really speak to that, but abouna told me in no uncertain terms that he will not commune Chalcedonians at our church, as the Tome of Leo which they profess as Orthodox is "full of heresies" (his words). Is this extremism or anti-ecumenism? I hardly think so, as that same priest speaks very highly of the local Greek Orthodox Church, with whom we share close relations, and will even on occasion reference Greek, Russian, or Romanian saints to make a point during a talk. It seems for the most hardcore anti-ecumenists, this alone would be evidence of heresy, but I don't see it that way.  I don't think we need to be hateful toward anybody (and again, where we agree, we agree), but I fear if Stavros is correct, maybe some people get the idea that they should feel ashamed when the Chalcedonians say we aren't Orthodox or whatever. Like we have something to fix. Doctrinally, I don't see what that would be. I would hope we can be confident (not prideful) and assert the Orthodoxy of our confession before anybody and everybody (even the most hardcore anti-OO), and not apologize that we hold to St. Cyrill's formulation of μία φύσις τοῦ θεοῦ λόγου σεσαρκωμένη. In the face of this Orthodox confession, the anti-OO Chalcedonians could call us all the names in the world and I wouldn't care. We don't become Orthodox whenever they'll agree with us, only to become heterodox when some idiot shows up with links to his YouTube channel to remind us all that, surprise surprise, the EO and OO don't agree with each other on everything and so remain out of communion. This is not news, some 1600 years on...but it always is news to me when we are once again "monophysites" or "Eutychians" because some guy with more zeal than brains doesn't know what words mean. I always find myself saying "Arghh...really, again with this?" But it's not really a surprise, you know? You've read that link. You see what they have to work with. Lord have mercy.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »

I think we should start calling each other Monophysites and ban non-OOs for saying it:

Where my Monophysites at!  Monophysite please!  You know you always be my Monophysite!  Word! (Incarnate)

You can get Chris Rock to do a standup routine, "I looove Non-Chalcedonians but I haaaate Monophysites"
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: