OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 10:48:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daily scripture readings.... ????  (Read 359 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 05, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »

Why do the daily scripture readings differ among different jurisdictions?? What are the scripture readings for today (feb. 5th)? I've seen different ones. Do you just follow the readings for your jurisdiction?  When they're different, doesn't it sort of take away from the beauty of all of us, being one Church, being unified? Wouldn't part of being truly unified mean reading the same scriptures each day??

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Ashman618
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:27:45 AM »

Whatevers on AFR baby that way I can be lazy and don't have to read, I iPhone through my car stereo on the way to work. We all should be unified in this laziness, sorta like a bell curve for the kingdom of heaven Wink
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:15:39 AM »

Why do the daily scripture readings differ among different jurisdictions?? What are the scripture readings for today (feb. 5th)? I've seen different ones. Do you just follow the readings for your jurisdiction?  When they're different, doesn't it sort of take away from the beauty of all of us, being one Church, being unified? Wouldn't part of being truly unified mean reading the same scriptures each day??

NO! The only thing the local Churches have had one of in history is one faith. There are even variations regarding the same liturgical rite. This has always been the case.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:17:27 AM »

There may be an additiona difference on daily readings based on a mistake, whether the readings are from the liturgical cycle, Old Calendar/New Calendar, Greek/Slavic, Old Rite Russian/Nikonian Rite Russian, etc.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:29:12 AM »

NO! The only thing the local Churches have had one of in history is one faith. There are even variations regarding the same liturgical rite. This has always been the case.

There are two main reasons for differences in the appointed readings for a given day: the 13-day calendar difference for fixed feasts, and accepted regional variation in which saint takes precedence on any given day. For instance, the Greek menaion for July 15 lists Sts Cyricus and Julitta for primary veneration, but the Russian menaion lists St Vladimir of Kiev for this day, as he is a saint of great importance in Russian Orthodox history. Similarly, January 14 sees the Serbian church give pre-eminence to St Sava, whereas the Georgians would favor the commemoration of St Nina of Georgia.
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:37:16 PM »

I did account for the calendar differences.  I made sure I was looking at two new calendar calendars. I just thought that everyone read the same thing each day.  I always thought it was cool that whatever scriptures we are reading in the liturgy at my home parish are the same scriptures being read in Greece or in Russia.  (Since im in the OCA, it may actually be the same as in Russia...)

So its normal for the Greek lectionary readings to be different from the Russian lectionary readings? I guess its not a huge deal, but I just didnt realize this was the case.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: