OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:05:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rite Catechism?  (Read 928 times) Average Rating: 0
jwinch2

Faith: Catholic

« on: February 05, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »

This may be a dumb question and I apologize if it bothers anyone. 

In the Catholic Church, there is the Universal Catechism, but also regional Catechisms specific to certain countries or cultures.  And, in addition, there is a Catechism specifically for the Ukrainian-Greek Catholic Church.  The fact that Eastern Catholics have a catechism designed present Catholic teaching in a manner applicable to Eastern Christians caused me to ponder whether or not there is an Orthodox Catechism which has been written to present Orthodoxy in a manner applicable to Western Christians.  A quick online search showed me a few different Orthodox Catechisms, none of which I know anything about in terms of their quality, but nothing which suggested a Catechism for the Western Rite.  My initial impression is that this is relatively new so that a resource like this might not have come along yet. 

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:25:36 PM »

The faith is catholic (according to the whole), which means that everyone should hold the same faith regardless of rite. My personal opinion, it would be nice to see a catechism that explains the faith using fathers both east and west.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »

Fr. Michael Keiser, of the Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate, wrote a book called "Children of the Promise," which is a Western Rite catechism.
jwinch2

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »

The faith is catholic (according to the whole), which means that everyone should hold the same faith regardless of rite. My personal opinion, it would be nice to see a catechism that explains the faith using fathers both east and west.

I wouldn't expect different teachings, but I can easily see how things are presented differently between east and west. 
jwinch2

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 11:20:49 PM »

Fr. Michael Keiser, of the Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate, wrote a book called "Children of the Promise," which is a Western Rite catechism.

Very interesting.  Thank you Father. 
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 01:06:40 AM »

I didn't find  to be a very catechetical catechism.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
jwinch2

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »

I didn't find  to be a very catechetical catechism.

The one and only review which is posted on Amazon would seem to agree.  Its pretty short, so I would doubt it can go into any real depth. 

With that in mind, perhaps there is a better question I can pose.  What is a good catechism on Orthodoxy for someone who is a Roman Catholic to read? 
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »

If you're looking for traditional question-answer format, there is The Longer Catechism of The Orthodox, Catholic, Eastern Church and The Orthodox Confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church.

jwinch2

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »

Thank you. 
Prufrock

Jurisdiction: MP

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 06:16:18 PM »

Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) has also created an online Orthodox catechism here:- http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/10/1.aspx
jwinch2

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 01:39:11 AM »

Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) has also created an online Orthodox catechism here:- http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/10/1.aspx

Thank you. 
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »

Father Aidan,

I see you have time to post on forums.  Perhaps if you could find the time to send my prayer book to me I would gladly appreciate it. Its been nearly five weeks since I sent the money order.  Thank you.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »

We watched videos in my catechism.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
jwinch2

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 12:27:19 AM »

We watched videos in my catechism.

DVD's, or videos which are online? 
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 12:42:26 AM »

If they did come out with a new catechism it would be published through the parish office.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: