OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 27, 2014, 09:01:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which calendar does the Western Rite use?  (Read 709 times) Average Rating: 0
jwinch2

Faith: Catholic

« on: February 09, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »

Does Western Rite Orthodoxy use the same calendar as their Eastern and Oriental brethren? 

Peace of Christ,

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »

Here is an example of WRO calendar. I assume though there is some variation of calendar between different uses of WRO.

jwinch2

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »

Here is an example of WRO calendar. I assume though there is some variation of calendar between different uses of WRO.

Thanks.  That particular calendar seems to be ambiguous in that it has things like "earliest day for Ash Wednesday" or "latest day for Easter" rather than specific dates.  Basically, I am curious to know if the Western Rite Orthodox follow the same Easter schedule as the rest of the Orthodox Church or whether Easter would be at the same time as the Catholic Church. 

Peace of Christ,
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:54:38 PM »

Basically, I am curious to know if the Western Rite Orthodox follow the same Easter schedule as the rest of the Orthodox Church or whether Easter would be at the same time as the Catholic Church. 

They are Orthodox. They follow the Orthodox schedule. It's not a question of rite but a question of which local church parish/monastery is part of.

jwinch2

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »

Basically, I am curious to know if the Western Rite Orthodox follow the same Easter schedule as the rest of the Orthodox Church or whether Easter would be at the same time as the Catholic Church. 

They are Orthodox. They follow the Orthodox schedule. It's not a question of rite but a question of which local church parish/monastery is part of.

OK, thanks.  For Eastern Catholics, it seems to vary by country whether they follow the Julian or Gregorian Calendar and I wasn't sure how that worked in the Orthodox Church.

Peace,
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »

IIRC, the Finns don't follow the Eastern date.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 01:15:24 PM »

We do follow Gregorian Calendar but we aren't WRO.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »

So I did remember correctly. Cheesy Anyway, I was just commenting on when you said "they're Orthodox. They follow the Orthodox schedule."
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »

So I did remember correctly. Cheesy Anyway, I was just commenting on when you said "they're Orthodox. They follow the Orthodox schedule."

We are the exception that proves the rule. Wink

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 01:25:45 PM »

We are the exception that proves the rule. Wink
I didn't mean that. I was just making a comment. Smiley
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »

No offence taken. Smiley

TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »

No offence taken. Smiley

you Finns DO follow the Orthodox schedule :-P just, the one in Finland is unique, hahaha. and WR would follow the Calendar of the Finnish Church.

same as Christminster follows the Julian calendar, same with the rest of ROCOR
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: