OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:41:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brother Nathaniel  (Read 32869 times) Average Rating: 0
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »

LBK,

You wrote:
Last time I checked, Rupert Murdoch has no Jewish ancestry, nor has he ever identified himself as Jewish

What do you think about Yahoo Answers?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071025102913AAjilr3
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:34:44 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »

Ioannis Climacus,

It was curious as you pointed out:
On a side note, did anyone know Br. Nathanael was once part of the late-1960's band, Rebecca and the Sunnybrook Farmers :  http://youtu.be/Us7iCKiXZ_o
Rebecca and the Sunnybrook Farmers were a psychedelic-influenced band from Pittsburgh, PN, whose music was an interesting blend of country rock, folk rock, and sunshine pop. Featuring Ilene Rappaport on vocals, guitar, harmonica, and recorder, Ilene Novog on vocals, viola, and harpsichord, Mickey Kapner on guitar, sitar, organ, and backing vocals...
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/rebecca-and-the-sunnybrook-farmers-mn0000468010
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:32:31 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »

Yeshuaisiam,

Would you (still?) consider yourself a Messianic Christian? If so what do you think about Chr.Zionism and the State it follows? (You can mention it on the politics forum, if you prefer).
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »

is this what fool-for-christs supposed to be like? .

regardless of their attire or the lack there of, you need to consider that the abject foolishness of some has nothing to do with their love for Christ.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »

This is my favorite video by him. Who could not love monasticism after hearing his dulcet tones?
How can he talk like that?

And that was an awfully bright "midnight."
Former salesman. Possibly moonlight with artificial lighting.

I thought that particular movie (about monastery life) was good. However, I really don't think I want to donate to his foundation because he seems unhinged.

When the clip ended, my computer started playing a radio channel somehow. Clicking on different unrelated buttons on my browser seemed to interfere with it, and closing youtube didn't seem to make a difference. Anyway...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:56:38 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »

LBK,

You wrote:
Last time I checked, Rupert Murdoch has no Jewish ancestry, nor has he ever identified himself as Jewish

His grandmother was Jewish.. Do you think that's enough to drive him into the International Jewish Cabal?

I think the reality is closer to this:   

From Wikipedia:

Murdoch was born in Melbourne, the only son of Sir Keith Murdoch (1885–1952) and Elisabeth Greene (1909-2012). He has English, Irish and Scottish ancestry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2013, 05:06:25 PM »

People arguing over whether someone in the media is a Jew or not.

A lose-lose proposition.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »

LBK,

You wrote:

His grandmother was Jewish.. Do you think that's enough to drive him into the International Jewish Cabal?

I think the reality is closer to this:  

From Wikipedia:

Murdoch was born in Melbourne, the only son of Sir Keith Murdoch (1885–1952) and Elisabeth Greene (1909-2012). He has English, Irish and Scottish ancestry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch
I believe that Br. Nathanael has argued yes, on the grounds that "Jewishness" passes through the maternal line. I don't know of any evidence, however, that Murdoch identifies as such. I have found that with people like Br. Nathanael, almost anyone can be connected with almost anything if you try hard enough. He has even "implicated" the woman in my avatar (H. P. Blavatsky) in being a part of the International Jewish Conspiracy™. Much to my disappointment, I can't find the video. I have needed a good laugh recently, but not so much that I want to watch all 150+ of his rants.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:23:48 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2013, 06:28:30 PM »

I have needed a good laugh recently, but not so much that I want to watch all 150+ of his rants.

I might soon. I'll let you know.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »

Yeah, why would a monk be meek, reticent, and obedient to someone?

Wait, wut?  Wink

Smiley

I believe monks can be very strong, even outspoken, if they are speaking the truth.  Obviously his abbot approves.  He's in a beautiful setting no doubt.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »

Yeshuaisiam,

Would you (still?) consider yourself a Messianic Christian? If so what do you think about Chr.Zionism and the State it follows? (You can mention it on the politics forum, if you prefer).

Sort of.

I just try to adapt my life around the practices of VERY early Christians as much as possible.  Often this leads people to confusion and myself as well. Smiley

I keep the Sabbath (as the Early Christians) and recognize the Lord's day.  My family practices much adaptation of the early Christians in lifestyle.   We learn from some of the understanding of the Hebrew culture that the Messianic Christians (Nazarites) can teach, and how it makes the life of Yeshua even more beautiful and incredible.  However, we do believe in the Trinity, unlike many Messianic Jews.

We do not wear gold/costly array, the women in my family cover their heads as commanded because they are to "pray without ceasing".   We do not take oaths, can't hold any public or government jobs.... This is much like many of the Anabaptists.

We do also practice some of the beautiful roots of Orthodoxy.  We sing many of its hymns at home, love the stories of the Saints, traditions, etc.    As many know however, we do not practice Orthodoxy fully for reasons on many other threads.  I know to many EO is an "all or none package", which is probably why I confuse a lot. 

To answer directly, I do not believe that Jews are Zionist Jews at all.   The Zionist Jews Brother Nathanael speaks of are not the typical "Jew".

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2013, 10:40:19 PM »

Yeah, why would a monk be meek, reticent, and obedient to someone?

Wait, wut?  Wink

Smiley

I believe monks can be very strong, even outspoken, if they are speaking the truth.  Obviously his abbot approves.  He's in a beautiful setting no doubt.

Whose his "Abbot" ?.. And if you have an address for him that would be super.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »

Dear Yesh.,

Thanks for replying. I think it's an attractive idea as you say:
I just try to adapt my life around the practices of VERY early Christians as much as possible.  Often this leads people to confusion and myself as well. Smiley

I keep the Sabbath (as the Early Christians) and recognize the Lord's day.  My family practices much adaptation of the early Christians in lifestyle.   We learn from some of the understanding of the Hebrew culture that the Messianic Christians (Nazarites) can teach, and how it makes the life of Yeshua even more beautiful and incredible.  However, we do believe in the Trinity, unlike many Messianic Jews.

We do not wear gold/costly array, the women in my family cover their heads as commanded because they are to "pray without ceasing".   We do not take oaths, can't hold any public or government jobs.... This is much like many of the Anabaptists.
By "we", do you mean that there is a specific religious group that shares your orientation that mixes Messianic and Orthodox customs?

You mentioned an interesting point when you said:
As many know however, we do not practice Orthodoxy fully for reasons on many other threads.  I know to many EO is an "all or none package", which is probably why I confuse a lot.

Orthodoxy also has a goal of continuing the practices of the first Christians. It also a goal of being a full package on important beliefs, as opposed to lesser questions about customs (Greek vs Russian vs Western Rite Orthodox).

An  early Christian example of Orthodoxy being a full package on main beliefs is the Council of Jerusalem, where the Church came together to take a united belief on whether non-Jews would follow the Torah. Incidentally, that particular case relates to the issue you bring up of whether non-Jews like us should follow many things in the Torah, like keeping a strict Sabbath.

Nonetheless, I do find the Messianics' claim worthy of discussion, because early Jewish Christians did keep the Sabbath, yet Church canons prohibit anyone from keeping Jewish feasts (I know even Orthodox leaders do not always follow this). At the same time, due to a positive urge at interfaith reconciliation, as well as unfamiliarity with the gospels, one can overlook the differences that early Jewish Christians had with the larger religious community, even including Torah observance (for example, the issue of whether food can make someone ritually "unclean". Matt 15:11)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:28:10 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2013, 12:34:31 PM »

[/quote]I believe that Br. Nathanael has argued yes, on the grounds that "Jewishness" passes through the maternal line. I don't know of any evidence, however, that Murdoch identifies as such. I have found that with people like Br. Nathanael, almost anyone can be connected with almost anything if you try hard enough. He has even "implicated" the woman in my avatar (H. P. Blavatsky) in being a part of the International Jewish Conspiracy™. Much to my disappointment, I can't find the video. I have needed a good laugh recently, but not so much that I want to watch all 150+ of his rants.
[/quote]

Rabbinic Jews assert that Jewish lineage passes through the female line but the Kairites assert it passes along the male line.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2013, 12:36:55 PM »

I read here that (Br.?) Nathanael is involved with a noncanonical group to whose monastery he belonged, but that he also belongs to ROCOR, which is canonical. I am not sure whether this contradictory state of affairs is itself canonical. I mean, how can it be canonical for someone to belong to a noncanonical group or monastery?

Obviously his political views do not go against Orthodoxy's religious views. But since his main religious activity seems to be with the noncanonical group, doesn't that suggest that his anti-elitist activism and organization are more orientated to his noncanonical activity as well?
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »

Rabbinic Jews assert that Jewish lineage passes through the female line but the Kairites assert it passes along the male line.
Hmmm... This seems possible too, because I think that in the OT censuses people were identified based on male descent, like the Levites were identified based on their descent from Aaron (a paternal figure).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:39:48 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »

All the genealogies in the Bible follow the male line, not the female.

And the Samaritans bring in Jews but only females.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »

I read here that (Br.?) Nathanael is involved with a noncanonical group to whose monastery he belonged,

I went looking for the precise information on this as it has been some years since I had a brush with Nathanael over on the E-Cafe.  He was a novice in ROAC under Gregory of Colorado in 2005 when there was some form of disagreement that involve the local sheriff's office.   So it has been more than 7.5 years since he was associated with a monastery unless there's another one that he's been with since.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2013, 04:47:06 PM »

Dear Yesh.,

Thanks for replying. I think it's an attractive idea as you say:
I just try to adapt my life around the practices of VERY early Christians as much as possible.  Often this leads people to confusion and myself as well. Smiley

I keep the Sabbath (as the Early Christians) and recognize the Lord's day.  My family practices much adaptation of the early Christians in lifestyle.   We learn from some of the understanding of the Hebrew culture that the Messianic Christians (Nazarites) can teach, and how it makes the life of Yeshua even more beautiful and incredible.  However, we do believe in the Trinity, unlike many Messianic Jews.

We do not wear gold/costly array, the women in my family cover their heads as commanded because they are to "pray without ceasing".   We do not take oaths, can't hold any public or government jobs.... This is much like many of the Anabaptists.
By "we", do you mean that there is a specific religious group that shares your orientation that mixes Messianic and Orthodox customs?

You mentioned an interesting point when you said:
As many know however, we do not practice Orthodoxy fully for reasons on many other threads.  I know to many EO is an "all or none package", which is probably why I confuse a lot.

Orthodoxy also has a goal of continuing the practices of the first Christians. It also a goal of being a full package on important beliefs, as opposed to lesser questions about customs (Greek vs Russian vs Western Rite Orthodox).

An  early Christian example of Orthodoxy being a full package on main beliefs is the Council of Jerusalem, where the Church came together to take a united belief on whether non-Jews would follow the Torah. Incidentally, that particular case relates to the issue you bring up of whether non-Jews like us should follow many things in the Torah, like keeping a strict Sabbath.

Nonetheless, I do find the Messianics' claim worthy of discussion, because early Jewish Christians did keep the Sabbath, yet Church canons prohibit anyone from keeping Jewish feasts (I know even Orthodox leaders do not always follow this). At the same time, due to a positive urge at interfaith reconciliation, as well as unfamiliarity with the gospels, one can overlook the differences that early Jewish Christians had with the larger religious community, even including Torah observance (for example, the issue of whether food can make someone ritually "unclean". Matt 15:11)

By "we" I mean my family.

To go further, would heavily hijack this thread... Let's just say I disagree with your statement of the EO church's goal.  We can discuss in PM because this would be another unfortunate can of worms. Smiley  God bless.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »

I read here that (Br.?) Nathanael is involved with a noncanonical group to whose monastery he belonged,

I went looking for the precise information on this as it has been some years since I had a brush with Nathanael over on the E-Cafe.  He was a novice in ROAC under Gregory of Colorado in 2005 when there was some form of disagreement that involve the local sheriff's office.   So it has been more than 7.5 years since he was associated with a monastery unless there's another one that he's been with since.

I was under the impression that there was newer information that Nathanael had gone into canonical Orthodoxy.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »

I read here that (Br.?) Nathanael is involved with a noncanonical group to whose monastery he belonged, but that he also belongs to ROCOR, which is canonical. I am not sure whether this contradictory state of affairs is itself canonical. I mean, how can it be canonical for someone to belong to a noncanonical group or monastery?

Obviously his political views do not go against Orthodoxy's religious views. But since his main religious activity seems to be with the noncanonical group, doesn't that suggest that his anti-elitist activism and organization are more orientated to his noncanonical activity as well?

Is he with HOCNA?  I can't remember.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »

In my opinion guys, there is no use looking for "who he is with" honestly. 

He is what he is.  His abbot obviously approves.

That said -

What exactly does he say that is wrong that you can factually discredit?  Is this more of an issue that some of you would rather see a monk beaten down, silent, and a wimp?  Is this a control issue people have against monks?

I have absolutely no problem with a monk speaking the TRUTH.  I don't care how "outspoken" it sounds, as the truth stands on a rock.  I am not a person who wishes to control another human being wishing them to be wimpy and under "orders".   I believe we are all equals, who are all sinners, and we do God's will. 

Brother Nathanael -
1) Promotes Orthodoxy -  Check
2) Promotes faith in Christ - Check
3) Condemns those oppressing, wanting to oppress,  and confusing Christians - Check
4) Speaks from his own experiences in Judaism - Check
5) Supports his arguments with facts, quotes, and video excerpts - Check

I can't have a problem with him.  He's not antisemite, he's anti Zionist.

I think this is a funky control issue that many EO Christians have.  Some people seem so weak in their own lives that they'd rather shove a monk in place and make him "mind" than listen to what he has to say.  Monks are about humility and humbleness, but they are also about truth and will do right in the face of evil.  Brother Nathanael fights what he sees as evil.

Not all monks are the same.  There are hermit monks... There are your "obedient subservient" ones.  There are monks who beat iron on anvils for a good part of the day making fishing gear.  There are monks who make icons, candles, incense.  There are also monks who make coffee.  There are are monks who help in heavy duty construction projects.   Brother Nathanael, he's outspoken against evil on youtube.

His abbot approves.  Obviously.  He wouldn't be this big if not.  Web sites, weekly videos, full edits with special effects, texts, and video cut ins.  Obviously lots of time spent on this.

If his abbot approves, that's all folks. 

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »

It has not even been confirmed that he has an abbot. As a novice, he is not a tonsured monk. He has not given a vow of obedience so he can technically go and do whatever he wants, say whatever he wants, etc. He is not accountable accept as he chooses to be, and he can change on his own whim.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »

Is there anything left of HOCNA?

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »

Take Internet presence and divide by 10?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »

Well, there was a major fracturing last year, and a lot of their monks/parishes went to the GOC (Fr. Anastasios' group). That was after a couple of their bishops had made a similar move a year earlier. Not sure what the exact numbers are...

[in before Michal Kalina says "schismatics being schismatic"]

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »

I went looking for the precise information on this as it has been some years since I had a brush with Nathanael over on the E-Cafe.  He was a novice in ROAC under Gregory of Colorado in 2005 when there was some form of disagreement that involve the local sheriff's office.   So it has been more than 7.5 years since he was associated with a monastery unless there's another one that he's been with since.

I was under the impression that there was newer information that Nathanael had gone into canonical Orthodoxy.

I was merely giving the information about his being part, however briefly, with the "non-canonical group" as it unfolded on the E-Cafe more than seven years ago.

He may be associated with some canonical jurisdiction now, but I haven't seen any information about any other abbot/monastery having taken him on, as it were.  

He still has several things on his "news" site putting for the loathsome forgery "The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion" as true and real.  It isn't and it has been used for more than a century to promote antagonism against human beings. That he is also, at least a month ago, part of the "Sandy Hook is a Conspiracy" does nothing to instill faith in his particular ideas.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:17:30 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2013, 07:07:54 PM »

+Met Hilarion, hierarch of Rocor looked me in the eye and confirmed that Br. Nataniel is not a member of Rocor. This was no more than six months ago.
He went on to tell me about Br. Nathaniel's attacks on Rocor concerning reunification with Moscow  (since recanted by Br. Nathaniel).

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »

+Met Hilarion, hierarch of Rocor looked me in the eye and confirmed that Br. Nataniel is not a member of Rocor. This was no more than six months ago.
He went on to tell me about Br. Nathaniel's attacks on Rocor concerning reunification with Moscow  (since recanted by Br. Nathaniel).

That, folks should settle it. Anyone who knows HE Hilarion knows he would be telling the truth.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »

I saw some of his screeds against the ROCOR/MP reunification.  They were vile, crude and scurrilous.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2013, 07:20:46 PM »

+Met Hilarion, hierarch of Rocor looked me in the eye and confirmed that Br. Nataniel is not a member of Rocor.
He went on to tell me about Br. Nathaniel's attacks on Rocor concerning reunification with Moscow  (since recanted by Br. Nathaniel).
That, folks should settle it. Anyone who knows HE Hilarion knows he would be telling the truth.
Of course- if Met. Hilarion did say this. Is there anything to confirm that?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:22:19 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »

That said -

What exactly does he say that is wrong that you can factually discredit?  Is this more of an issue that some of you would rather see a monk beaten down, silent, and a wimp?  Is this a control issue people have against monks?

I have absolutely no problem with a monk speaking the TRUTH.  I don't care how "outspoken" it sounds, as the truth stands on a rock.  I am not a person who wishes to control another human being wishing them to be wimpy and under "orders".   I believe we are all equals, who are all sinners, and we do God's will. 

Brother Nathanael -
3) Condemns those oppressing, wanting to oppress,  and confusing Christians - Check

I think this is a funky control issue that many EO Christians have.  Some people seem so weak in their own lives that they'd rather shove a monk in place and make him "mind" than listen to what he has to say.  Monks are about humility and humbleness, but they are also about truth and will do right in the face of evil.  Brother Nathanael fights what he sees as evil.

Not all monks are the same.  There are hermit monks... There are your "obedient subservient" ones.  There are monks who beat iron on anvils for a good part of the day making fishing gear.  There are monks who make icons, candles, incense.  There are also monks who make coffee.  There are are monks who help in heavy duty construction projects.   Brother Nathanael, he's outspoken against evil on youtube.

His abbot approves.  Obviously.  He wouldn't be this big if not.  Web sites, weekly videos, full edits with special effects, texts, and video cut ins.  Obviously lots of time spent on this.

He's not antisemite, he's anti Zionist.

Naw... he's a straight up Antisemite.

Self hating Jews are not a new thing. For example, in the Warsaw Ghetto the Germans recruited a Jewish Police force to work for them. Br. Nathaniel is cut from that same cloth.. He is loathsome.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2013, 07:23:01 PM »

+Met Hilarion, hierarch of Rocor looked me in the eye and confirmed that Br. Nataniel is not a member of Rocor.
He went on to tell me about Br. Nathaniel's attacks on Rocor concerning reunification with Moscow  (since recanted by Br. Nathaniel).
Of course- if Met. Hilarion did say this. Is there anything to confirm that?

He is not a member of Rocor.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »

I just went to the About section of his web page.

http://brothernathanaelfoundation.org/about

Read carefully:

Brother Nathanael Kapner is a recognized monastic with the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Of Russia (ROCOR) where he is officially recognized as a "poslushnik"/"novice" monk.

Brother Nathanael speaks and writes as a former Jew--now an Orthodox Christian--and not in any official capacity with the ROCOR jurisdiction. He resides in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

He is actually being a little vague isn't he? He is saying that his status as a Novice is recognized by Rocor. This is true. His status as a Novice is indeed "recognized" as valid. Met. Hillarion himself mentioned to me that Nathaniel is a Novice. There is no question about that. That does not mean he is a member of Rocor....does it? It just means what he said. His status as a Novice is recognized, just like it would be in the OCA or GOA or anywhere else..

He then goes on to say that he has no authority what so ever to speak for Rocor. Yes, non members with not position of authority cant speak for Rocor.. Duh

Duplicity seems to be his game. 

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2013, 07:54:52 PM »

Whatever he is or is not he certainly appears to be a propagandist 'par excellence'. But then so was Josef Goebbels.

As to anything else, heaven only knows!
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2013, 08:01:39 PM »

Brother Nathanael Kapner is a recognized monastic with the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Of Russia (ROCOR) where he is officially recognized as a "poslushnik"/"novice" monk.

His status as a Novice is indeed "recognized" as valid. Met. Hillarion himself mentioned to me that Nathaniel is a Novice. That does not mean he is a member of Rocor....does it?
His status as a Novice is recognized, just like it would be in the OCA or GOA or anywhere else..
Marc, I am doubtful he really is with ROCOR, but it would be more helpful if there was a statement by a clergyman recorded to that effect. Not just between you and me, but so people elsewhere would know.

His statement above basically means that he is a "monk with ROCOR".
If someone says they are "a boy scout with the Boy Scouts of America but do not speak for it in an official capacity", it means they are a member of it, but do not have the role of a leader or spokesperson.
Actually I recently wrote to Brother Kapner and asked him about his status. He referred me to his Bishop, His Grace Jerome of The Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR). So, I did. He said that Brother Kapner is indeed an Orthodox Christian and while he is not a full monk, he is a novice, which makes him a monastic.
Dec 30, 2011
http://www.cathinfo.com/catholic.php?a=topic&t=19083&min=20&num=10
But then again, you said your conversation with Bp. Hilarion was more recent.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »

That said -

Brother Nathanael -

Self hating Jews are not a new thing. For example, in the Warsaw Ghetto the Germans recruited a Jewish Police force to work for them. Br. Nathaniel is cut from that same cloth.. He is loathsome.

Rly Marc? Can you knock this stuff off just a little?

You understanding of the role of Jews within the power relations of the camps in which they served is probably less than sophisticated.

But that aside, please stop posting for the most insipid of reasons photos of the misery and death of others. Your trivializing of these persons' unfortunate plight to make some tangential and confused point on a internet board strikes me a being rather tasteless.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »

His status as a Novice is indeed "recognized" as valid. Met. Hillarion himself mentioned to me that Nathaniel is a Novice. That does not mean he is a member of Rocor....does it?
His status as a Novice is recognized, just like it would be in the OCA or GOA or anywhere else..
Marc, I am doubtful he really is with ROCOR, but it would be more helpful if there was a statement by a clergyman recorded to that effect. Not just between you and me, but so people elsewhere would know.

His statement above basically means that he is a "monk with ROCOR".
If someone says they are "a boy scout with the Boy Scouts of America but do not speak for it in an official capacity", it means they are a member of it, but do not have the role of a leader or spokesperson.
Actually I recently wrote to Brother Kapner and asked him about his status. He referred me to his Bishop, His Grace Jerome of The Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR). So, I did. He said that Brother Kapner is indeed an Orthodox Christian and while he is not a full monk, he is a novice, which makes him a monastic.
Dec 30, 2011
http://www.cathinfo.com/catholic.php?a=topic&t=19083&min=20&num=10
But then again, you said your conversation with Bp. Hilarion was more recent.

I asked the Heirarch and got a direct answer.  I'm complete on the issue.

I found this post on catholicinfo.not com. I dont want to copy posts from another forum so just click on the link:

http://www.cathinfo.com/catholic.php?a=topic&t=19083&min=10&num=5

Apparently someone there wrote to Fr. Serge head of the Rocor media office and asked about Br. Nathaniel. Fr. Serge confirmed that Nathaniel is not a member of Rocor and he doesn't think that he is even a monk.

These are just posts on a forum so i suggest if you want to know more that you do the same and write to Fr. Serge as well.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »

That said -

Brother Nathanael -

Rly Marc? Can you knock this stuff off just a little?

You understanding of the role of Jews within the power relations of the camps in which they served is probably less than sophisticated.

But that aside, please stop posting for the most insipid of reasons photos of the misery and death of others. Your trivializing of these persons' unfortunate plight to make some tangential and confused point on a internet board strikes me a being rather tasteless.

Youre interpretation is muddled.

I am giving an example of the kind of person Nathaniel is, a self hating Jew.The nearest equivalent are the Jewish Police in the Warsaw Ghetto.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »

Marc,

Thanks for posting. I do think it's strange he would be ROCOR and also in a noncanonical jurisdiction at the same time. On one hand, we have your discussion with Met. Hilarion and a statement from Fr. Sergei, both from 6 months ago, and statements by Bp. Shaw and another clergyman that he was part of ROCOR a year ago.

As you point out this is all hearsay, but I guess what you are saying is right because it's strange he would be ROCOR and also a monk in a noncanonical jurisdiction, although he could have left one for the other. One could ask why he says he is ROCOR or ROCA (he has signed both, perhaps at different times), and why he would "recant" of anti-ROCOR statements if he had no interest in ROCOR to begin with.

The issue under discussion is:  Roll Eyes

Regards.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:19:33 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2013, 09:20:43 PM »

1. Br. Nathanael is absolutely a member of ROCOR, according to our bishops.
2. Br. Nathanael has made clear he is anti-Zionist, not anti-Semite. Of course, recent dictionaries equating anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism, though there is no logical basis for such a conflation, don't help the clarity of things.
3. Many Jewish faithful are also anti-Zionist, especially the Orthodox and more conservative Jews, and also Hebrew Hippies (sorry, couldn't resist).
4. The website appears non-vague in delivering two important pieces of info: that he is a novice in ROCOR and that he does not speak for ROCOR.
5. I view him as being, in our times, a sort of Cassandra of Troy. Even his (asserted) assertion that Sandy Hook was a psy-op, has quite a bit of evidence in its favor, although I am not ready to subscribe to a particular version of events behind those events. I believe there are still many unanswered questions, and am very, very reluctant to assert things which could turn out to be untrue or which can't be proven.

6. But to me the big doozy here, the elephant in the room most seem to be missing, is that we have horribly evil people doing evil and horrible things to people that are causing and can yet cause untold deaths and suffering, and deprive people of their most basic human dignity. In the context of these heinous and enormous crimes, the whistleblower is attacked. Then, instead of speaking ill of the wicked criminals who are actually harming and killing and sterilizing people and starting unnecessary wars, and doing much other mischief, our eccentric and outspoken but completely harmless Br. Nathanael is himself attacked.

There's something profoundly and extremely wrong with this picture.

P.S. While the Other Mainstream Media (Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, etc.) always speak ill of the ACLU, the fact is that on occasion they have defended the right to free speech of some  persons we cannot possibly see as exhibiting the political views which the ACLU seems to espouse. The ACLU has worked to defend Constitutional rights of various persons. So I disagree with the broad-brush and view them more as a mixed bag of advocacy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:26:19 PM by Fr.Aidan » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2013, 09:29:35 PM »

Fr. Aidan,

Can you confirm whether he is still a member of ROCOR within the last 6 months, and can I please ask what is your basis for that?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:33:09 PM by rakovsky » Logged
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2013, 10:26:03 PM »

I think the ultimate answer to Brother Nathanael is to take his videos with a grain of salt.  I have heard over and over that he is not an anti-semite yet I, honestly, can't agree with that.  However, the evidence that he backs for all his claims about ZIONISTS is very much unrefutable.  Like every guy on the internet you should take some and leave some, with Br. Nathanael you should probably leave a little more.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2013, 12:00:10 AM »

2. Br. Nathanael has made clear he is anti-Zionist, not anti-Semite. Of course, recent dictionaries equating anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism, though there is no logical basis for such a conflation, don't help the clarity of things.
3. Many Jewish faithful are also anti-Zionist, especially the Orthodox and more conservative Jews, and also Hebrew Hippies (sorry, couldn't resist).
4. The website appears non-vague in delivering two important pieces of info: that he is a novice in ROCOR and that he does not speak for ROCOR.
5. I view him as being, in our times, a sort of Cassandra of Troy. Even his (asserted) assertion that Sandy Hook was a psy-op, has quite a bit of evidence in its favor, although I am not ready to subscribe to a particular version of events behind those events. I believe there are still many unanswered questions, and am very, very reluctant to assert things which could turn out to be untrue or which can't be proven.

6. But to me the big doozy here, the elephant in the room most seem to be missing, is that we have horribly evil people doing evil and horrible things to people that are causing and can yet cause untold deaths and suffering, and deprive people of their most basic human dignity. In the context of these heinous and enormous crimes, the whistleblower is attacked. Then, instead of speaking ill of the wicked criminals who are actually harming and killing and sterilizing people and starting unnecessary wars, and doing much other mischief, our eccentric and outspoken but completely harmless Br. Nathanael is himself attacked.

There's something profoundly and extremely wrong with this picture.

P.S. While the Other Mainstream Media (Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, etc.) always speak ill of the ACLU, the fact is that on occasion they have defended the right to free speech of some  persons we cannot possibly see as exhibiting the political views which the ACLU seems to espouse. The ACLU has worked to defend Constitutional rights of various persons. So I disagree with the broad-brush and view them more as a mixed bag of advocacy.

1. He is not a member of Rocor according to Met. Hillarion
2. He is a notorious Anti-Semite, not just Anti-Zionist.. If you cant tell the difference then that doest speak well of you.
    Holding up signs that say ACLU Jews are the Anti-Christ is pretty clearly Anti-Semitic with nothing what so ever to do with Israel.

3. If you think "Brother" Nathaniel is some sort of "Whistle Blower" than you have very poor insight about such things.. IMHO..

I find it enormously disappointing that an Orthodox Priest thinks highly of such a vicious Anti-Semite and subscribes to his warped theories..At best you could dismiss Nathaniel as mentally ill but to take him seriously is rather breathtaking... I will stop at that before I say something I will regret.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2013, 12:10:02 AM »

Well, there was a major fracturing last year, and a lot of their monks/parishes went to the GOC (Fr. Anastasios' group). That was after a couple of their bishops had made a similar move a year earlier. Not sure what the exact numbers are...

[in before Michal Kalina says "schismatics being schismatic"]

I thought Father Anastasios was with HOTCA....  (acronyms seem similar)

HOCNA had some kind of homosexual scandal... I think somebody in HOCNA accused Bishop Gregory (dormition skete) of being gay.  It was one of their uppers, but I'm not well versed in all scandals.  As far as I know, totally different bunch, but I don't know much.

HOTCA on the other hand, as far as I can tell is old calendar, anti ecumenism, and very traditional.  They are the "Church of the Genuine Greek Orthodox in America" not part of GOC.  If I rejoined Orthodoxy, I would go with HOTCA myself...

Title added by moderator.
You are given 14 days of warning for not using a title for clergy. Carl Kraeff (second Chance)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:15:27 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Tags: Nathanael Kapner Br.(sic) Nathanael 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: