OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 04:45:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brother Nathaniel  (Read 31647 times) Average Rating: 0
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #630 on: October 28, 2013, 06:57:41 AM »

Actually, not keeping Pascha with the Jews is kinder to the Jews than much of the verbiage in the weeks prior to Pascha.  We do not keep Pascha with the Jews because it is important that the Passover be served before the Pasha, since the Passover was the prototype of the Pascha.  The finish product cannot come before the prototype.
Perhaps there is more than one reason we do not have Pascha before Judaism does?
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #631 on: October 28, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »

Actually, not keeping Pascha with the Jews is kinder to the Jews than much of the verbiage in the weeks prior to Pascha.  We do not keep Pascha with the Jews because it is important that the Passover be served before the Pasha, since the Passover was the prototype of the Pascha.  The finish product cannot come before the prototype.
Perhaps there is more than one reason we do not have Pascha before Judaism does?

Such as?
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #632 on: October 28, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »

Such as?

The controversy was formally resolved by the Council of Nicea, which determined that a single system should be adopted by all the churches, and that this system should be independent of the Jewish calendar.
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Paschalion#Shortcomings_of_the_Julian_Paschalion
Because we have our own calendar calculations?

We propose a date for the ancient Passover and then pick the Sunday after it, however the rabbinical calendar today maybe point to different dates for Passover than those our calendar would.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:28:12 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #633 on: October 28, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »

Making a direct link between the condemnations in our Liturgies and hymns and the crazy political theories Br. Nathaniel spews is a stretch.

Not really.  In fact, not at all.  The political theories of Brother Nataniel can be traced down a long and direct path to those writings.  However, much like the game of "telephone", being able to trace something to the source does not mean that the message that got through was the message intended.  He is not the only one.  When my relatives were enjoying their road trip through Orthodox countries in the 1940's, they did not have to look too hard for Jews.  The "Orthodox" populations of those countries were more than happy to turn them over.

Just as the population of Russia and Ukraine handed over Orthodox Clergy, monks and nuns to the Stalinists...

Both are examples of evil doing...

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #634 on: October 28, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »

Making a direct link between the condemnations in our Liturgies and hymns and the crazy political theories Br. Nathaniel spews is a stretch.

Not really.  In fact, not at all.  The political theories of Brother Nataniel can be traced down a long and direct path to those writings.  However, much like the game of "telephone", being able to trace something to the source does not mean that the message that got through was the message intended.  He is not the only one.  When my relatives were enjoying their road trip through Orthodox countries in the 1940's, they did not have to look too hard for Jews.  The "Orthodox" populations of those countries were more than happy to turn them over.

Just as the population of Russia and Ukraine handed over Orthodox Clergy, monks and nuns to the Stalinists...

Which Rorschach blot don't you see antisemitism in marc?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #635 on: October 28, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »

Russia and Ukraine before WWII had millions of people. Certainly among them you could find some who ranged from anti- to philo-semitic, even though the USSR officially supported all ethnicities. It should not be surprising that there were some pro-Nazis among them, but it can be remarkable that in some cases there were so-few. Poland had so few Nazi sympathizers there was no real collaboration movement there to speak of.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:52:22 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #636 on: October 28, 2013, 01:59:10 PM »

Er..So when someone actually brags that his ancestors "Happily" ( his words) turned over Jews to the Nazi's, you can't discern anything from that.. Nothing.. Neutral statement in your eyes.. I wonder what it takes?

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #637 on: October 28, 2013, 02:14:20 PM »

Er..So when someone actually brags that his ancestors "Happily" ( his words) turned over Jews to the Nazi's, you can't discern anything from that.. Nothing.. Neutral statement in your eyes.. I wonder what it takes?
He wasn't bragging, since he put the word "Orthodox" in quotation marks. Your preceding comment was not incorrect, either, I think Marc. Peace.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #638 on: October 28, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »

I think you can't begin to let yourself read Punch in a manner that would allow you to see he isn't the monster you think he is.

He is probably the only person more misunderstood here than myself and he strike a rather univocal chord it seems to me.

Look up understatement and irony, especially has they relate to satire and self-deprecation. Then reread his post.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #639 on: October 28, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »

When I was reading Quixote, Br. Nathaniel reminded me so much of him that I had pictured the Don as such.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #640 on: October 28, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »

Let's see if I can do a version for marc in his own ideolect.

LOL

What Jew hating has in common with the calendar?

Huh  Huh  Huh

http://www.hearnow.org/caljp.html

Shocked

When we were FIGHTING AGAINST COINTELPRO, the TROTS used ciphers we learned from NATIVE aMERican coal miners. A slight mistake in whether you used a SNAKE or an EAGLE could change the message.

One of my students in military TAEKWANDO who was fighting against the Japanese in WWI, ONLY NON ZEN JAPANESE, was surprised AT HOW often the Japanese SHINTO would TRY to give HIM the ZEN JAPANESE to kill.

true story.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #641 on: October 28, 2013, 02:34:34 PM »

LOL.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #642 on: October 28, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »

I'm dying.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #643 on: October 28, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »

He wasn't bragging, since he put the word "Orthodox" in quotation marks. Your preceding comment was not incorrect, either, I think Marc. Peace.
\

My comment was that happily turning Jews over to the Nazi's was evil..  That is what I said... Orthonorm added spin not mentioned by me.

Let me know which part of my observation you believe is wrong or exaggerated. 

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #644 on: October 28, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »

LOL

Huh  Huh  Huh

Shocked

When we were FIGHTING AGAINST COINTELPRO, the TROTS used ciphers we learned from NATIVE aMERican coal miners. A slight mistake in whether you used a SNAKE or an EAGLE could change the message.

One of my students in military TAEKWANDO who was fighting against the Japanese in WWI, ONLY NON ZEN JAPANESE, was surprised AT HOW often the Japanese SHINTO would TRY to give HIM the ZEN JAPANESE to kill.

true story.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #645 on: October 28, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »

LOL

Huh  Huh  Huh

Shocked

true story.

LOL you cant even muster up a decent personal attack.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #646 on: October 28, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »

My comment was that happily turning Jews over to the Nazi's was evil.. 

police

That is what I said... Orthonorm added spin not mentioned by me.

The following book covers everything on spin in the media read it before doing else. PM me for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/Pinheads-Patriots-Where-Stand-Obama/dp/B007HW1VFC

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #647 on: October 28, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »

Yeah..... No. I think I will just tip toe out of the room now and leave you to your deep insights.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:18:37 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #648 on: October 28, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »

LOL you cant even muster up a decent personal attack.
It's so transperant that...oh nevermind. Sheesh.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #649 on: October 28, 2013, 09:21:31 PM »

Yeah..... No. I think I will just tip toe out of the room now and leave you to your deep insights.

Use this mod on your Five Fingers whenever you tip toe. IT helps counteract the tension in the spine from sitting all day.

Your fran time will thank me for it.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #650 on: October 28, 2013, 09:23:21 PM »

OK, I think I am back. That was weird.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #651 on: October 28, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »

Use this mod on your Five Fingers whenever you tip toe. IT helps counteract the tension in the spine from sitting all day.

Your fran time will thank me for it.

Okay thanks..

That was incomprehensible. You should probably stop now

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #652 on: October 28, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »

Okay thanks..

That was incomprehensible. You should probably stop now

My work was then actually complete.

Thank you.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #653 on: October 29, 2013, 07:34:10 AM »

Why are you talking to yourself?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #654 on: October 29, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »

I literally understood none of orthonorm's posts on this page and that was after reading them each 3-4 times. I need an orthonorm interpreter.  Achronos, give me a hand here.  What is going on in this thread?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #655 on: October 29, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »

I literally understood none of orthonorm's posts on this page and that was after reading them each 3-4 times. I need an orthonorm interpreter.  Achronos, give me a hand here.  What is going on in this thread?

And some of my finest 2 minute posts.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #656 on: October 29, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »

And some of my finest 2 minute posts.

Although I did get some private, helpful criticism. I didn't quite capture the capitalization rules.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #657 on: October 29, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »

Orthonorm =   8D
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #658 on: October 29, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »

It is really rather simple.  You see, Orthonorm was attempting to explain Marc's thought process.  In order to do that, you must understand that the human brain is like an immense fish.  It is wet and slimy and has gills through which it can breath.  If one of these gills becomes clogged, the brain can no longer accept some ideas and it rejects others.  This causes a condition known as whooping cough.  It is really not that hard to understand.  Cough . . . cough . . . oh my, you should see what just came out of my lungs . . . cough.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #659 on: October 29, 2013, 05:10:38 PM »

It is really rather simple.  You see, Orthonorm was attempting to explain Marc's thought process.  In order to do that, you must understand that the human brain is like an immense fish.  It is wet and slimy and has gills through which it can breath.  If one of these gills becomes clogged, the brain can no longer accept some ideas and it rejects others.  This causes a condition known as whooping cough.  It is really not that hard to understand.  Cough . . . cough . . . oh my, you should see what just came out of my lungs . . . cough.

With regard to whooping cough, the CDC recommends adults over 25 receive a t-Dap booster shot before being around infants and folks with stressed immune systems - which probably covers all who post here - either category!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #660 on: October 29, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »

And what was it that set them off? I said happily turning Jews into the Nazi's was evil..  My my such a fuss.  Defensive much?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #661 on: October 29, 2013, 06:58:26 PM »

Brother Nathanael is hilarious. 

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #662 on: October 29, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »

Brother Nathanael is hilarious. 

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #663 on: October 30, 2013, 07:14:38 AM »

Laughing Germans, a laughing reenactor playing dress-up, and Monty Python.  Ok. Smiley

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #664 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »

Laughing Germans, a laughing reenactor playing dress-up, and Monty Python.  Ok. Smiley

Satire not your thing ?  Smiley

Here, maybe this one will be clearer:

brother Nathaniel is hilarious  

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:31:44 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #665 on: October 30, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »

Laughing Germans, a laughing reenactor playing dress-up, and Monty Python.  Ok. Smiley

Satire not your thing ?  Smiley

Here, maybe this one will be clearer:

brother Nathaniel is hilarious  

marc, you are the perfect straight man . . .

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #666 on: October 30, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »

Too bad they couldn't be around to laugh at Br. Nathanael.

Tags: Nathanael Kapner Br.(sic) Nathanael 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: