OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 05:16:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Mom Gave me a Jewish Prayer Shawl...  (Read 6032 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »

YeshuaHaDerekh, do you observe/celebrate the feasts of Theophany (Baptism of Christ), the Nativity of the Mother of God, the Dormition of the Mother of God, and the Exaltation of the Cross? What is your view of these feasts?

Also, do you venerate icons?

*bump*
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox pre 100AD

« Reply #361 on: May 08, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »

YeshuaHaDerekh, do you observe/celebrate the feasts of Theophany (Baptism of Christ), the Nativity of the Mother of God, the Dormition of the Mother of God, and the Exaltation of the Cross? What is your view of these feasts?

I consider them extra-biblical feasts but yes I have celebrated them. Venerate icons...yes

If they hear not Moshe and the Nevi'im, neither will they be persuaded by one that rose from the dead.
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #362 on: May 08, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »

The Apostles did not try to convert people to Judaism. Otherwise St. Paul would never have bothered to rebuke St. Peter to his face, or write all those letters about how to convert the Gentiles.

Neither am I since I am an Orthodox Christian.  I would like to convert Jews to Orthodoxy but from the reception here I think the Messianics are doing a much better job at it...

As if Messianics (sp?) are bringing anyone to Christianity. They bring Christians and others to Judaism.

Rabbinical Jews do not believe Yeshua is Moshiach...Messianics do

If they hear not Moshe and the Nevi'im, neither will they be persuaded by one that rose from the dead.
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #363 on: May 08, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »

Of course! But to fully UNDERSTAND them, it is better within the original Jewish context of where they came from.  Orthodoxy came directly from the  Judaism of Yeshua and his messianic Apostles. It is really not a new "religion" but a continuance of it in the correct way...

Why is celebrating the feasts in the manner of their pre-Messianic form be better than celebrating them in their post-Messiah, fulfilled form?  That seems to make no sense to me...

See, you are doing it again! WHEN and WHERE did I EVER say in their "PRE-MESSIANIC" form?HuhHuhHuhHuh

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #364 on: May 08, 2013, 10:52:24 AM »

I consider them extra-biblical feasts but yes I have celebrated them. Venerate icons...yes

You speak of these feasts in the past tense. Does this mean you no longer observe or celebrate them? And what is the significance to you of calling them "extra-biblical"?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #365 on: May 08, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »

Theophany is "extra-biblical"? 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #366 on: May 08, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »

I wasn't going to say it ...  angel
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #367 on: May 08, 2013, 10:54:01 AM »

The Apostles did not try to convert people to Judaism. Otherwise St. Paul would never have bothered to rebuke St. Peter to his face, or write all those letters about how to convert the Gentiles.

Neither am I since I am an Orthodox Christian.  I would like to convert Jews to Orthodoxy but from the reception here I think the Messianics are doing a much better job at it...

Biro, you have continually tried, whether on purpose or not, to twist my words and meanings and have been a thorn in my side. It is quite obvious you have much to learn and I will continue to pray for you.

I doubt you are really an Orthodox Christian in the sense that you belong to a canonical jurisdiction that is in communion with the others.

Doubt all you want!

Quiz:

I belong to a canonical Orthodox Jurisdiction

Yes/No

I am a Jew by birth

Yes/No

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #368 on: May 08, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »

You speak of these feasts in the past tense. Does this mean you no longer observe or celebrate them? And what is the significance to you of calling them "extra-biblical"?

Strain at a gnat but swallow a camel! Well they ARE extrabiblical. They are traditional feasts made by the Church. Their dates do not correspond to any biblical feasts...that is all I mean. Quit trying to read in your preconceived notions...  Roll Eyes

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #369 on: May 08, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »

Of course! But to fully UNDERSTAND them, it is better within the original Jewish context of where they came from.  Orthodoxy came directly from the  Judaism of Yeshua and his messianic Apostles. It is really not a new "religion" but a continuance of it in the correct way...

Why is celebrating the feasts in the manner of their pre-Messianic form be better than celebrating them in their post-Messiah, fulfilled form?  That seems to make no sense to me...

See, you are doing it again! WHEN and WHERE did I EVER say in their "PRE-MESSIANIC" form?HuhHuhHuhHuh

You're the one who wrote that Orthodox Pentecost and Jewish Shavuot are the same.  Angry
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #370 on: May 08, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »

As if Messianics (sp?) are bringing anyone to Christianity. They bring Christians and others to Judaism.

Rabbinical Jews do not believe Yeshua is Moshiach...Messianics do

Not really good enough

Arians can say they believe in Jesus. So can Nestorians and Gnostics and Mormons.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #371 on: May 08, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »

Strain at a gnat but swallow a camel! Well they ARE extrabiblical. They are traditional feasts made by the Church. Their dates do not correspond to any biblical feasts...that is all I mean. Quit trying to read in your preconceived notions...  Roll Eyes

What then of your referring to them in the past tense, as in "I have celebrated them"? Does this mean you no longer do?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:58:26 AM by LBK » Logged
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #372 on: May 08, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »

Extrabiblical meaning it was not commanded to be celebrated. A date was selected and there it is.  

Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2013, 10:59:21 AM »

Of course! But to fully UNDERSTAND them, it is better within the original Jewish context of where they came from.  Orthodoxy came directly from the  Judaism of Yeshua and his messianic Apostles. It is really not a new "religion" but a continuance of it in the correct way...

Why is celebrating the feasts in the manner of their pre-Messianic form be better than celebrating them in their post-Messiah, fulfilled form?  That seems to make no sense to me...

You're the one who wrote that Orthodox Pentecost and Jewish Shavuot are the same.  Angry

Still straining at that gnat I see...how does that camel taste?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:59:45 AM by Yeshua HaDerekh » Logged

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #374 on: May 08, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »

Of course! But to fully UNDERSTAND them, it is better within the original Jewish context of where they came from.  Orthodoxy came directly from the  Judaism of Yeshua and his messianic Apostles. It is really not a new "religion" but a continuance of it in the correct way...

Why is celebrating the feasts in the manner of their pre-Messianic form be better than celebrating them in their post-Messiah, fulfilled form?  That seems to make no sense to me...

You wrote those words, Yesh, not me. Don't blame me for them.
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #375 on: May 08, 2013, 11:04:02 AM »

You wrote: Not really good enough. Arians can say they believe in Jesus. So can Nestorians and Gnostics and Mormons.

We were not discussing that. What was said was that "They bring Christians and others to Judaism."  So do Nestorians and Arians "bring Christians and others to Judaism"Huh

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:05:04 AM by Yeshua HaDerekh » Logged

Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #376 on: May 08, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »

I blame you for twisting something I already explained.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #377 on: May 08, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »

Nonsense, your words in that post are plain as day. It's bad form to blame others for your error.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #378 on: May 08, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »

Let's just jump to the chase.

It appears to me that while you call yourself "Orthodox" you are not a member of any canonical Orthodox Church.

It appears to me that you are a Gentile who wishes to convert Jews ( by somehow mixing the two religions). Yet, there are  at least three Jews who have posted in this thread who are telling you, a Gentile, not to do that. The Orthodox Church and it's faithful are the new Israel and that Judaizing is a heresy.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #379 on: May 08, 2013, 11:11:25 AM »

You wrote: Not really good enough. Arians can say they believe in Jesus. So can Nestorians and Gnostics and Mormons.

We were not discussing that. What was said was that "They bring Christians and others to Judaism."  So do Nestorians and Arians "bring Christians and others to Judaism"Huh

You said Messianic Jews beleive in "Jesus".

I am pointing out that this is incomplete information. Mormon's can make the same claim.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #380 on: May 08, 2013, 11:17:43 AM »

What then of your referring to them in the past tense, as in "I have celebrated them"? Does this mean you no longer do?

*bump*
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #381 on: May 08, 2013, 11:23:35 AM »

It appears to me that while you call yourself "Orthodox" you are not a member of any canonical Orthodox Church.

It appears to me that you are a Gentile who wishes to convert Jews ( by somehow mixing the two religions). Yet, there are  at least three Jews who have posted in this thread who are telling you, a Gentile, not to do that. The Orthodox Church and it's faithful are the new Israel and that Judaizing is a heresy.

I have already told you I AM A MEMBER. Why do I have to always keep repeating myself to you? Cant you read? Do you need glasses?  Roll Eyes

Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #382 on: May 08, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »

You said Messianic Jews beleive in "Jesus".

I am pointing out that this is incomplete information. Mormon's can make the same claim.

Messianic Jews DO believe in Jesus...true statement.  Rabbinical Jews do not...true statement.
Sure mormans can make the same claim.  Yet you have still to prove that ANY of these "bring Christians and others to JUDAISM"...

Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #383 on: May 08, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »

Nonsense, your words in that post are plain as day. It's bad form to blame others for your error.

YOUR error is that you can't comprehend what you read...or you just do not want to. I blame you for twisting something I already explained.

Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #384 on: May 08, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »

Biro, you have continually tried, whether on purpose or not, to twist my words and meanings and have been a thorn in my side. It is quite obvious you have much to learn and I will continue to pray for you.

I doubt you are really an Orthodox Christian in the sense that you belong to a canonical jurisdiction that is in communion with the others.

Doubt all you want!

Quiz:

Yes/No

I am a Jew by birth

Yes/No

Quiz:
Can you read?

Yes/No

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #385 on: May 08, 2013, 11:33:39 AM »

Doubt all you want!

Quiz:

Yes/No

I am a Jew by birth

Yes/No

Quiz:
Can you read?

Yes/No

You're not answering Marc's questions, particularly the second one.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:34:13 AM by LBK » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #386 on: May 08, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »

Strain at a gnat but swallow a camel! Well they ARE extrabiblical. They are traditional feasts made by the Church. Their dates do not correspond to any biblical feasts...that is all I mean. Quit trying to read in your preconceived notions...  Roll Eyes

*bump*

Any chance of an answer here?
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #387 on: May 08, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »

Doubt all you want!

Quiz:

Yes/No

I am a Jew by birth

Yes/No

Quiz:
Can you read?

Yes/No

You're not answering the questions, particularly the second one.

I already have in the past...I think you all just like to argue and like to think of yourselves as some sort of Orthodox elitists.  Just wondering, how many of you are cradle and how many are converts? Doesn't matter...yep, just like it does not matter if I am Jewish by birth  or not.

Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #388 on: May 08, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »

Strain at a gnat but swallow a camel! Well they ARE extrabiblical. They are traditional feasts made by the Church. Their dates do not correspond to any biblical feasts...that is all I mean. Quit trying to read in your preconceived notions...  Roll Eyes

*bump*

Roll Eyes What do you think?

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #389 on: May 08, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »

*bump*

It's not a matter of what I think. I'm asking you a question, in plain English.
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #390 on: May 08, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »

*bump*

Well I can't say "I AM celebrating" them since they are not being held today...sheeesh!  Roll Eyes

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #391 on: May 08, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »

*bump*

Well I can't say "I AM celebrating" them since they are not being held today...sheeesh!  Roll Eyes

OK, then, let me rephrase the question to avoid semantic games: Do you observe/celebrate these feasts on their appointed days according to the Orthodox liturgical calendar? What about the feastdays of individual saints? Do you observe them as well?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:57:31 AM by LBK » Logged
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #392 on: May 08, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »

Well I can't say "I AM celebrating" them since they are not being held today...sheeesh!  Roll Eyes

I'm not as proficient in the English language as others but I suppose that "I celebrate" would be a better way to state it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:58:22 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

Πρὸς δὲ τὸν ἀξιοῦντα δημοκρατίαν ἐν τῇ πόλει καταστήσασθαι ὁ Λυκοῦργος εἶπε 'σὺ πρῶτος ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ σου ποίησον δημοκρατίαν.'
-Lycurgus
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #393 on: May 08, 2013, 12:25:50 PM »

*bump*

Well I can't say "I AM celebrating" them since they are not being held today...sheeesh!  Roll Eyes

OK, then, let me rephrase the question to avoid semantic games: Do you observe/celebrate these feasts on their appointed days according to the Orthodox liturgical calendar? What about the feastdays of individual saints? Do you observe them as well?

Yes I have.  Individual Saint's days, not regularly, but not many do...unless it is their own personal Saint's name day.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:31:34 PM by Yeshua HaDerekh » Logged

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #394 on: May 08, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »

*bump*

Yes I have.  Individual Saint's days, not regularly, but not many do...unless it is their own personal Saint's name day.

Will you celebrate these feasts on their appointed days according to the Orthodox liturgical calendar in the future?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #395 on: May 08, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »

*bump*

Will you celebrate these feasts on their appointed days according to the Orthodox liturgical calendar in the future?

Oh come on now...this is getting silly... Roll Eyes

Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #396 on: May 08, 2013, 01:05:24 PM »

Everybody but you is silly....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:09:26 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

Πρὸς δὲ τὸν ἀξιοῦντα δημοκρατίαν ἐν τῇ πόλει καταστήσασθαι ὁ Λυκοῦργος εἶπε 'σὺ πρῶτος ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ σου ποίησον δημοκρατίαν.'
-Lycurgus
TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #397 on: May 08, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »

Oh come on now...this is getting silly... 

It is only silly because your answers are so evasive. If you did not rely so much on twisting words around and just come out with a forthright comprehensive explanation of your beliefs, if they are blessed by your parish, and what holidays you are actually celebrating, it would eliminate the need for silly questions.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #398 on: May 08, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »

I have already told you I AM A MEMBER. Why do I have to always keep repeating myself to you? Cant you read? Do you need glasses?  Roll Eyes

Because it is not believable that a Priest would allow you to pursue a heresy such as Judaizing.

What Orthodox jurisdiction do you belong to and how have they allowed you to continue in communion considering the idea's you have mentioned here?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:29:19 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Феофан
High Elder

Faith: christian

« Reply #399 on: May 08, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »

Some comedian used to say he wasn't really a Jew, just a little Jew-ish !   Smiley

I'm not implying pre100-man is Jewish (as if that were a bad thing), I'm just joking around.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:35:27 PM by Theophan_C » Logged

formerly known as theophan_c
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #400 on: May 08, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »

*bump*

Since it took you a lot longer to type that out than a simple Yes or No, I'm going to assume the answer is No.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #401 on: May 08, 2013, 01:34:53 PM »

I just mentioned this thread to an Orthodox Jewish co-worker, a Reformed Jewish co-worker, and a Gentile co-worker who is married to an Orthodox Jew.

Every single one of them said the exact same thing and it rhymes with the word, "pole."

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #402 on: May 08, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »

Since this is no longer about what to do with a prayer shawl, I figured one of the Mod's would've stepped long ago.

As would I, especially since the matter is now resolved. However I am just rolling with it, it's not everyday I start a thread that goes past 2 pages (or even one).

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #403 on: May 08, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »

I just mentioned this thread to an Orthodox Jewish co-worker, a Reformed Jewish co-worker, and a Gentile co-worker who is married to an Orthodox Jew.

Every single one of them said the exact same thing and it rhymes with the word, "pole."
People should respect other people's national and religious customs.

But religions should be able to decide which religious customs to include themselves based on those customs' religious meaning.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:17:01 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #404 on: May 08, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »

*bump*

Since it took you a lot longer to type that out than a simple Yes or No, I'm going to assume the answer is No.

You can ASSume anything you want.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: