OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 01:40:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gospel of Nicodemus, or Acts of Pilate  (Read 1171 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: February 04, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »

So, I was thinking of using the Gospel of Nicodemus as classroom material for the older kids this year.  I have four classes, ranging from preschool kids, 8-10 year olds, 10-12, and 13 upward.

Every Great Lent I teach about Christ's mission, we go over all the events, Holy Week, etc.  We do this each year....to a lesser degree each time.  For example, when they were younger we went over it in great detail, the next year instead of teaching it in 4 classes, we succinctly "reviewed" in 2, etc.  Some kids already "know" it, while others, who sit in the same classes appear to be hearing it all for the first time.  Each at their own pace.

So, in about a month, we begin Great Lent, and once again, I would like to review the whole Paschal theme.  However, this year the kids are even older, and I was thinking of giving it a different twist, and have them go over the Gospel of Nicodemus, which to me was a really good read... describing all the events and happenings from a different perspective....particularly the gathering of souls awaiting Christ.

I realize it might not be "authentic" and some say controversial, however, is there any harm in studying it? 

Thanks for your insight!

http://folk.uio.no/lukeb/books/apocrypha/Gospel_of_Nicodemus.pdf

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 04:42:49 PM »

I think as long as you feel like you know enough about your faith to traverse any "what does this mean" kind of questions...then it's a great idea! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »

So, I was thinking of using the Gospel of Nicodemus as classroom material for the older kids this year.  I have four classes, ranging from preschool kids, 8-10 year olds, 10-12, and 13 upward.

Every Great Lent I teach about Christ's mission, we go over all the events, Holy Week, etc.  We do this each year....to a lesser degree each time.  For example, when they were younger we went over it in great detail, the next year instead of teaching it in 4 classes, we succinctly "reviewed" in 2, etc.  Some kids already "know" it, while others, who sit in the same classes appear to be hearing it all for the first time.  Each at their own pace.

So, in about a month, we begin Great Lent, and once again, I would like to review the whole Paschal theme.  However, this year the kids are even older, and I was thinking of giving it a different twist, and have them go over the Gospel of Nicodemus, which to me was a really good read... describing all the events and happenings from a different perspective....particularly the gathering of souls awaiting Christ.

I realize it might not be "authentic" and some say controversial, however, is there any harm in studying it? 

Thanks for your insight!

http://folk.uio.no/lukeb/books/apocrypha/Gospel_of_Nicodemus.pdf

The Gospel of Nicodemus has provided a good amount of hymnography for the latter part of Holy Week, and has given us imagery for the Paschal icon The Harrowing of Hades. So, while it is not part of canonical scriptures, the sainted hymnographers and iconographers have drawn from it in fleshing out Orthodox teaching which is not present in the Gospels. So there is much that is good and useful in it.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »

Excellent! 

I will go ahead with my plans, then!

Thanks!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:31:07 PM »

Excellent!  

I will go ahead with my plans, then!

Thanks!!!

Happy to help, my dear Liza.  Smiley  Kiss