OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 06:31:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Hanks Defend Serbs: Kosovo is Serbia  (Read 2974 times) Average Rating: 0
orthoreader
Elder

Faith: orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Los Angeles and the West

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »

I would rather him speak out against some of the roles he has taken that have gone against Christian teaching than tout nationalism.

Kosovo and Metohija was once part of Serbia - Serb politicians, unfortunately, gave the land away due to stubbornness and self-preservation.

If it is become part of Serbia again one day, Serbs will need to stop talking tough and start spreading the Gospels.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:41:35 PM by orthoreader » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »

I would rather him speak out against some of the roles he has taken that have gone against Christian teaching

Such as...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthoreader
Elder

Faith: orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Los Angeles and the West

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »

I would rather him speak out against some of the roles he has taken that have gone against Christian teaching

Such as...

I think this topic has been discussed previously.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »

Such as...

Rest assured that it be will postviously as well.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 02:03:18 PM »

Such as...

Rest assured that it be will postviously as well.
Obviously.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »

Forrest Gump is horrible. Just thought I'd mention that indisputable fact.
It wasn't horrible,  but it baffles me that it beat out Shawshank and Pulp Fiction for the best picture Oscar. They're both so obviously superior.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2013, 02:54:27 PM »

Yeah, but Castaway was a profound allegory about the state of the soul outside communion with God, and it's eventual redemption in finding God through suffering and perseverance.

LOL whatever it is you've been sniffing, send some my way.

How dare you!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2013, 03:22:31 PM »

It wasn't horrible,  but it baffles me that it beat out Shawshank and Pulp Fiction for the best picture Oscar. They're both so obviously superior.

Really?  Ok, Shawshank hands down was better.  But Pulp Fiction?  Don't get me wrong, I loved that movie, especially Samuel Jackson's character.  But there were a good number of dumb parts.  If I am going to hear a word starting with 'M' in that movie, I don't want it to be "milkshake".  It was funny, I got some laughs.  But I think that Forrest Gump was a better movie all around.  Perhaps I shall be tarred and feathered for liking a movie that [gasp] other people like, but alas, I'd rather tell the truth than be edgy and kewl because I don't like Forrest Gump.

(But yes, Shawshank was a better film, but I don't let that detract from Forrest.)
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »

I for one really enjoy Tarantino's schtick with dialog, and Pulp Fiction gets special points for taking a fractured narrative and making it feel like one big story.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »

I for one really enjoy Tarantino's schtick with dialog, and Pulp Fiction gets special points for taking a fractured narrative and making it feel like one big story.

To each their own.  I found most of his dialogue that didn't involve Samuel Jackson to be rather dull.

As for the fractured narrative, I much preferred Snatch.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »

Snatch couldn't exist if it weren't for Tarantino's early work.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:11:14 PM by That person » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

Snatch couldn't exist if it weren't for Tarantino's early work.

Without going into the veracity of your claim, the modern automobile couldn't exist without Ford's and Daimler's early work.  All the same, I'd rather drive a Taurus than a Model T (as my primary vehicle).  Whether Snatch was a rip off or not, I think it is the better of the two films.
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »

I wouldn't say it's a ripoff, just pointing out that Tarantino has been very influential in the genre. Pulp Fiction should get some brownie points for breaking some new ground.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »

I wouldn't say it's a ripoff, just pointing out that Tarantino has been very influential in the genre. Pulp Fiction should get some brownie points for breaking some new ground.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pulp Fiction was great.  In fact, it has some of the best scenes out of any movie.  I just think that as a whole film, Forrest Gump was better (and Shawshank was better than both).

EDIT, and also, I think that Tom Hanks is a pretty good actor.  I don't think he's necessarily the best (Anthony Hopkins will usually top my lists) but I think he's pretty darn good.  And not just because he stuck up for Serbia, something most of the elitists won't do.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:53:14 PM by vamrat » Logged
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 06:20:55 PM »

Why worry about whats going on in Kosovo,Serbia?...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:22:53 PM by WPM » Logged
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »

I would rather him speak out against some of the roles he has taken that have gone against Christian teaching than tout nationalism.

Kosovo and Metohija was once part of Serbia - Serb politicians, unfortunately, gave the land away due to stubbornness and self-preservation.

If it is become part of Serbia again one day, Serbs will need to stop talking tough and start spreading the Gospels.

What does a specific country in Europe have to do with anything?...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »

Why worry about whats going on in Kosovo,Serbia?...

Haven't you just had Serbian flag in your avatar?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »

Could someone explain to me why we should care what Tom Hanks thinks?
"World Doesn't Even Know Who to Admire Anymore after Tom Hanks Murders 5"- The Onion

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2013, 12:55:35 AM »

Well I guess your first mistake is that whoever is running the Academy is competent.

I think there is such a thing as objectively great films, such of which the Academy snubs for whatever reason. It's like the whole Argo situation where Affleck wasn't up for a best director nod. Is it because of Gigli?

I forgot where I read it, but there's a process the judges go through on selecting the nominees, and I think it was watching a few minutes of a film and if someone flashes a light at the screen with their flaslight, they move on to the next film.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: