OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 01:20:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawkins v Williams: the Union debate (Feb. 2013)  (Read 645 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 04, 2013, 09:10:13 AM »

Richard Dawwwkins!”, came the cry of a student as the six speakers entered the chamber last night. The eager greeting was emblematic of the excitement which surrounded the Cambridge Union’s debate last night. The prospect of a clash between celebrated thinkers Richard Dawkins and new Master of Magdalene Rowan Williams on the motion ‘this house believes religion has no place in the 21st century’ culminated in this term’s most popular debate.

A thousand students were watching, the Union’s President-elect told the crowd, many unable to get a place in the chamber but following the debate in rooms around the building. Hundreds more had been turned away, with lines stretching into the streets since late afternoon.
"I have to declare something of an interest here”, Williams began, alluding to his long career in the Church of England, before setting forth his argument for religion’s continuing role in the 21st century. “Religion has always been a matter of community building,” he said, “a matter of building precisely those relations of compassion, fellow feeling and, I dare to use the word, inclusion, which would otherwise be absent from our societies."

A youtube video of the debate (which I think is not the official video of the debate) is here.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:11:17 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:12:46 AM »

Richard Dawwwkins!”, came the cry of a student as the six speakers entered the chamber last night. The eager greeting was emblematic of the excitement which surrounded the Cambridge Union’s debate last night. The prospect of a clash between celebrated thinkers Richard Dawkins and new Master of Magdalene Rowan Williams on the motion ‘this house believes religion has no place in the 21st century’ culminated in this term’s most popular debate.

A thousand students were watching, the Union’s President-elect told the crowd, many unable to get a place in the chamber but following the debate in rooms around the building. Hundreds more had been turned away, with lines stretching into the streets since late afternoon.
"I have to declare something of an interest here”, Williams began, alluding to his long career in the Church of England, before setting forth his argument for religion’s continuing role in the 21st century. “Religion has always been a matter of community building,” he said, “a matter of building precisely those relations of compassion, fellow feeling and, I dare to use the word, inclusion, which would otherwise be absent from our societies."

A youtube video of the debate (which I think is not the official video of the debate) is here.

Thanks for posting this.  Smiley

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »

Didn't Rowan found the Arian Church of England?

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:41:01 AM »

No, he's the last Archbishop of Canterbury.

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »

Richard Dawkins "lost" the debate by the Opposition's 324 votes to the Prop's 136:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/richard-dawkins-loses-debate-against-former-anglican-head-rowan-williams-at-cambridge-university-full-video-89364/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:15:07 PM by NightOwl » Logged
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 06:28:24 PM »

No, he's the last Archbishop of Canterbury.
My bad, I was thinking about his book on Arius and somehow got him mixed up...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:28:50 PM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »

Putting all religions on ontologically equal footing and fighting for all of them seems ridiculous to me. It should be more a question of Truth than pragmaticism and functionality of institutional organizations. IT seems like a dumb topic to begin with. For example, who would agree that atheism has NO place to play in society in the 21st century? Everything has its place, and to speak so categorically from the outset seem juvenile.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »

Putting all religions on ontologically equal footing and fighting for all of them seems ridiculous to me. It should be more a question of Truth than pragmaticism and functionality of institutional organizations. IT seems like a dumb topic to begin with. For example, who would agree that atheism has NO place to play in society in the 21st century? Everything has its place, and to speak so categorically from the outset seem juvenile.
Don't be fooled by internet atheism into believing there are more atheists out there, because the truth is they represent such a miniority. The only place they can portend to have any clout whatsoever is on the internet. There influence, let alone action, in society is really marginalized.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Balthasar
Elder

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:13:56 PM »

British monkey-elites who contributed immensely to the destruction of Christianity in the UK. They did it in just one generation. How I'm tired of watching their primitiv and unpleasant sense of arrogance and superiority.  Shocked
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:58:25 PM »

British monkey-elites who contributed immensely to the destruction of Christianity in the UK. They did it in just one generation. How I'm tired of watching their primitive and unpleasant sense of arrogance and superiority.  Shocked

I suppose they would agree that they are indeed primates! *rimshot*
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 12:11:49 AM »

How I'm tired of watching their primitiv and unpleasant sense of arrogance and superiority.  Shocked

So, let's ban Islam in Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Budha countries, let's expel those ungrateful Muslims from those countries.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: