OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 01:18:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Complaint Department  (Read 3222 times) Average Rating: 0
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »

Yes, as long as someone being upset that they got wet is sufficient evidence in court that the alleged driver was exceeding the speed limit.  In most jurisdictions in the US, phoning in such a report would be met with "oh that's nice.  We'll get right on it" as they chuckle hanging up the phone.

As the case linked above shows, we take a rather dimmer view over here. Plus, it's not hard to be over a 5mph limit; if they were under it, such incidents wouldn't happen.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2013, 06:17:01 PM »

Yes, as long as someone being upset that they got wet is sufficient evidence in court that the alleged driver was exceeding the speed limit.  In most jurisdictions in the US, phoning in such a report would be met with "oh that's nice.  We'll get right on it" as they chuckle hanging up the phone.

Dear antisocial so-and-so,

Was it fun driving full tilt through that huge puddle and soaking me and the boy on the way to school?

I hope it was, because guess whose number plate is getting reported. Angry

It's against the law to splash someone in the UK?

Driving over the speed limit in adverse conditions with pedestrians nearby can be considered reckless driving in many jurisdictions.

This was presumably in a school zone with multiple witnesses and an extremely low speed limit, but I see your point.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »

Yes, I could see where 5 mph would make it difficult to put up much of a splash.  School zones in my area are 20 to 25 mph, and you can put up quite a wall of water if you hit the right pothole at that speed.

Was it fun driving full tilt through that huge puddle and soaking me and the boy on the way to school?

Driving over the speed limit in adverse conditions with pedestrians nearby can be considered reckless driving in many jurisdictions.

This was presumably in a school zone with multiple witnesses and an extremely low speed limit, but I see your point.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »

Yeah, but in the US you could call in that your mom was being tortured and raped upstairs and the response would possibly be the same.  There might even be a Supreme Court case about it...

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2013, 06:48:58 PM »

Yes, I could see where 5 mph would make it difficult to put up much of a splash.  School zones in my area are 20 to 25 mph, and you can put up quite a wall of water if you hit the right pothole at that speed.

Normally it's 20mph here too, it just goes down during arrival and departure times, when there are crowds of kids around. And since the zone is barely a 300-metre strip of road, nobody is going to be horribly delayed if they stick to the limit. Buses never make as much as a splash, let alone a tsunami. Undecided

As a lifelong pedestrian, I tend to be rather sensitive towards the (lack of) respect we get from motorists.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »

Variable speed limits during the day?  We are lucky if we can get the average moron to understand that 20 mph is the speed LIMIT and not a suggested minimum.  If you varied it by the time of day, they would just stick to 45 mph and pray for the best.

Yes, I could see where 5 mph would make it difficult to put up much of a splash.  School zones in my area are 20 to 25 mp, and you can put up quite a wall of water if you hit the right pothole at that speed.

Normally it's 20mph here too, it just goes down during arrival and departure times, when there are crowds of kids around. And since the zone is barely a 300-metre strip of road, nobody is going to be horribly delayed if they stick to the limit. Buses never make as much as a splash, let alone a tsunami. Undecided

As a lifelong pedestrian, I tend to be rather sensitive towards the (lack of) respect we get from motorists.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »

There aren't slower limits in school zones during certain times where you're at Punch?

Speaking of complaints, I want to make two contradictory complaints: they've been pressing for certain crosswalk rights for people walking around, and cars are supposed to stop now and yield to the people crossing the street...

Complaint #1: Why do no cars stop? At my school there is one of these intersections, and in several years that it's been there I've seen 3 people stop (and 1 was a cop). That's 3 out of hundreds (probably thousands). No one obeys these. What would happen if I just started across and assumed they'd obey the law? Would they just hit me?

Complaint #2: Why is the government doing this? I mean, seriously, if it's so crucial that people be able to get across then put a light in or something. I'm tired of having to keep an eye out for these people (like me).
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »

There aren't slower limits in school zones during certain times where you're at Punch?

Speaking of complaints, I want to make two contradictory complaints: they've been pressing for certain crosswalk rights for people walking around, and cars are supposed to stop now and yield to the people crossing the street...

Complaint #1: Why do no cars stop? At my school there is one of these intersections, and in several years that it's been there I've seen 3 people stop (and 1 was a cop). That's 3 out of hundreds (probably thousands). No one obeys these. What would happen if I just started across and assumed they'd obey the law? Would they just hit me?

Complaint #2: Why is the government doing this? I mean, seriously, if it's so crucial that people be able to get across then put a light in or something. I'm tired of having to keep an eye out for these people (like me).

Before I moved to the UK, I'd never seen a crossing without traffic lights. Here they are everywhere, except on very busy streets. I was flabbergasted the first time I stopped at the stripes and traffic on both sides ground to a halt until I was on the other side.

Unfortunately, the same driver who stops for me and the young one at the crossing may have no qualms drenching us both just around the corner. Embarrassed

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2013, 07:18:33 PM »

Why does one have to be a master of satire to effectively participate in this forum?
Who ever said that? Huh

You did.  You were complimenting one member's "mastery of the art" where the art = satire.
But wouldn't you have to agree that it's a non sequitur to conclude from my compliment to Punch that one has to be a master of satire to participate effectively on this forum?

Huh Jesus spoke in parables, not in satire.
I think you're projecting, SolEX01.

Most complaints are resolved effectively via gentle use of projection.   Smiley
SolEX01, you don't have to be a master of non sequitur to participate effectively on this forum.

Which logical fallacy was I guilty of (in this thread) according to this website?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_%28logic%29

EDIT: I see that the final part of the statement (being a master of satire...) was unrelated to the first part of the statement (compliment for satire...).
I complimented Punch on his mastery of satire. It does not follow (i.e., non sequitur) that one must be a master of satire to participate effectively on this forum. You created a connection that does not exist in the logic; therefore, you are guilty of a non sequitur fallacy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:19:54 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »

I like when people use terms like gobsmacked.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2013, 01:20:47 AM »

At 80-something'th and Crown Point there is a 20 mph during school hours and 40 otherwise.  But it's pretty much a suggested minimum.  I go 45 and pray for the best.  That and I never drive there during school hours...I'm either at work (when they leave) or am going the opposite direction (to work).

They also had to put in a light there because while I went to school there some dingdong decided to strut like a chicken in front of a drunk/high driver.  Needless to say, she was unable to learn from the experience.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2013, 01:35:23 AM »

Why does one have to be a master of satire to effectively participate in this forum?   Huh Jesus spoke in parables, not in satire.

And in satire...

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2013, 01:56:07 AM »

Why does one have to be a master of satire to effectively participate in this forum?   Huh Jesus spoke in parables, not in satire.

And in satire...

What are you saying?

Effective users of the forum avoid answering questions starting with: Who, What, Where, When, Why & How.

That can't be a non sequitur for I'm giving my opinion.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2013, 02:05:00 AM »

And in satire...

What are you saying?

I am saying that Christ used satire many times in the Gospels.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2013, 02:08:07 AM »

And in satire...

What are you saying?

I am saying that Christ used satire many times in the Gospels.

Where?  I never viewed Christ as a satirist.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »

Jesus the Satirist

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2013, 02:33:15 AM »

I read the article and I remain convinced that Jesus wasn't a satirist.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2013, 02:42:10 AM »

The satire is in the Gospels. You can read it for yourself at any time.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2013, 02:58:17 AM »

Hey Trevor, do you have a list of monasteries in Colorado?
I don't, but I know that we have the monastery in Lake George (which I love visiting.)  I believe that the monasteries in Buena Vista are schismatic, and I've not heard of others in Co.  The closest one, I think, is Archangel Michael's monastery in Canones, NM.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »

And in satire...

What are you saying?

Effective users of the forum avoid answering questions starting with: Who, What, Where, When, Why & How.

Your opinion is a non sequitur.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »

And in satire...

What are you saying?

Your opinion is a non sequitur.

I'm glad this is the Complaint Department.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »

The satire is in the Gospels. You can read it for yourself at any time.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2013, 07:37:32 AM »

Freakiest reason not to make it to church: the young one running full pelt into a puddle and soaking himself above the ankle. I wasn't going to make him walk in the snow like that, so back home we go. Undecided

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: