OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 08:17:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips For Getting a 2000+ On the SAT?  (Read 336 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:22:29 AM »

So, I took two practice tests and I got around an 1800 (with no studying at all), so I was hoping to raise it to a 2000 or at least a 1900 before I take the real thing in June. My reading/writing scores are around 610-630. My math scores are the real problem, as they are typically in the mid to high 500 range. I bought the CollegeBoard official SAT study guide (I.e. "the blue book") and the Princeton Review book and I have been going through them. I was wondering if anyone here could give me any additional advice, thanks!

Pray for me

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »

Honestly, it's the scores x/1600 that still really matter. I didnt crack 2000 overall, but I still got into everywhere that I applied, and with honors college everywhere   as well(save one, but i didnt send them my new scores afterwards, when I got my highest score).

I got a 1310/1600, and that's where it counts(750 math,660 reading).

But, this isnt the place for me to just brag, but rather, just say that you just need to focus on the right sections to do well, and to do excel in the right sections.

Things that I know are in the Princeton(im pretty sure, and I LOVE the princeton series, and shall be using them again when it comes to GMAT time).

A question in math(or anywhere) that is the equivlant of 2+2=4 is worth the same as cos(theta)=23arcsin(theta plus x)^2
Work on easy questions, because they have the same rewards as the hard ones.
KNOW the directions, dont waste time reading them. The directions dont change, they really dont, so memorize them beforehand, and use the time.
Some people say eat a healthy breakfast beforehand, I say dont. Eat whatever you normally eat before schools or exams, so you will be used to it.
Also, worry about getting questions correct, not the number you do. But also, skip and come back.

Also, if your math scores are problematic, then take a math sat review course at a local community college or the like, theyll teach you what you need.

SCREW BON JOVI!
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:14:25 PM »

I got a 219 on my PSAT prior to studying and I have to say there are no secrets. Take a lot of practice tests to know it inside and out, and use their official review book and Princeton's review book. Hope this helps. 
Undecided

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:17:25 PM »

I'm not sure, back when I took it 1600 was the top score...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »

I'm not sure, back when I took it 1600 was the top score...
They added another section, so now it's out of 2400.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:18:59 PM »

I got a 219 on my PSAT prior to studying and I have to say there are no secrets. Take a lot of practice tests to know it inside and out, and use their official review book and Princeton's review book. Hope this helps. 
Undecided
*Jealous* Lol.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »

practice practice practice....the more questions you do (even if a nauseating amount of them), and the more you learn from your mistakes in those questions, the more you'll be able to do well in the SATs.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »

Prayers  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »

biro true Smiley that being understood as a given,I just want to add for the sake of stressing the already made point that for any of these types of standardized tests , doing more questions is the key. the added bonus being that you will get more skilled in not only understanding what exactly is being asked but also how to make an educated guess in the event that you have to guess.

Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »

SAT is high school exams or something?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

SAT is high school exams or something?

It is something that high school students all over the United States take, and it is part of an assessment of admissions into universities, along with high school grades, as well as personal part-time services, activities, or occupations.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: