OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 12:41:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I would like to read a book  (Read 759 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: February 03, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »

I've read The Orthodox Way and The Orthodox Church thus far. Also a bit of patristics here and there. What should be next on my list?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »

Lives of the Saints. Probably just about anything will do but I liked Vitae Patrum by St. Gregory of Tours.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »

Orthodox Veneration of Mary the Theotokos is book that shows you how to properly view Icon Tradition handed down by the Church.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:26:04 PM by WPM » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »

Apophtegmata Patrum.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 03:42:36 PM »

Icons and Saints of the Eastern Orthodox Church, by Alfredo Tradigo  angel

Any lives of the saints

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »

At some point you will want to read: The Meaning of Icons / Vladimir Lossky, Leonide Ouspenskyhttp://www.amazon.com/Meaning-Icons-Vladimir-Lossky/dp/0913836990/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359920991&sr=1-1&keywords=meaning+of+icons
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »

Apophtegmata Patrum.

And Lives of the Desert Fathers.  Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »

Way of the Ascetics, by Tito Colliander
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 09:01:15 PM »

Lives of the Saints are good but you have to remember you are reading about Saints, people who were called to that life. A lot of the time converts will read about Saints and want to be like the Saints. That's not a bad thing, but you wont be able to live in a cave or sleep on rocks and eat only bread. Those Saints were called to that life by God and so God gave them the strength and ability to do those things. If you try that, you'll end up dead or hurting yourself.

Try reading books about people who are in the Church now. For example, Everyday Saints and Other Stories. The people in that book, lived great lives but they were also your everyday people, these books help you relate a little better. Than after that, by all means tackle the lives of Saints, just don't lead yourself into delusion and think you can be like these people without a blessing or calling.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:02:34 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

This user is no longer active.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »

Are there any Lives of lay saints out there?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 09:07:04 PM »

Are there any Lives of lay saints out there?

That's a hard one to answer, Saints are pure in the faith and have great understanding and understand in order to be in total communion with God you need to let go of everything. That's why most saints are monastics, they go toward that life because... well because why not. You want to be in 100% communion with God, so what better way of doing that then being a "living martyr"

But...only God knows who the Saints are, I'm sure they are out there, I don't know of any.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:07:43 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »

Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr. Seraphim Rose, although, be cautious, my Priest tells me that some of the stuff he says is controversial and not unanimously accepted by the Church. Also, pretty much anything by St. John Chrysostom is good and basic. I keep buying his books to read.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »

At some point you will want to read: The Meaning of Icons / Vladimir Lossky, Leonide Ouspenskyhttp://www.amazon.com/Meaning-Icons-Vladimir-Lossky/dp/0913836990/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359920991&sr=1-1&keywords=meaning+of+icons

Seconded. I would add St John of Damascus' In Defense of the Holy Images. Outstanding.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 09:50:40 PM »

my Priest tells me that some of the stuff he says is controversial and not unanimously accepted by the Church.

And yet Fr. Seraphim Rose of blessed memory will one day be recognized as a Saint. If you don't like the opinion of one priest, confirm it with another priest. Saint Silouan the Athonite tells us to do this. That's why I don't listen to Fr. Thomas Hopko anymore, his views on things drive me nuts and other priests I've talked to affirm it. Don't listen to just one priest, unless they are an Elder and your Spiritual Elder at that.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 10:21:37 PM »

O⃥r⃥t⃥h⃥o⃥d⃥o⃥x⃥y⃥ ⃥a⃥n⃥d⃥ ⃥t⃥h⃥e⃥ ⃥R⃥e⃥l⃥i⃥g⃥i⃥o⃥n⃥ ⃥o⃥f⃥ ⃥t⃥h⃥e⃥ ⃥F⃥u⃥t⃥u⃥r⃥e⃥ ⃥b⃥y⃥ ⃥F⃥r⃥.⃥ ⃥S⃥e⃥r⃥a⃥p⃥h⃥i⃥m⃥ ⃥R⃥o⃥s⃥e⃥,⃥ ⃥a⃥l⃥t⃥h⃥o⃥u⃥g⃥h⃥,⃥ ⃥b⃥e⃥ ⃥c⃥a⃥u⃥t⃥i⃥o⃥u⃥s⃥,⃥ ⃥m⃥y⃥ ⃥P⃥r⃥i⃥e⃥s⃥t⃥ ⃥t⃥e⃥l⃥l⃥s⃥ ⃥m⃥e⃥ ⃥t⃥h⃥a⃥t⃥ ⃥s⃥o⃥m⃥e⃥ ⃥o⃥f⃥ ⃥t⃥h⃥e⃥ ⃥s⃥t⃥u⃥f⃥f⃥ ⃥h⃥e⃥ ⃥s⃥a⃥y⃥s⃥ ⃥i⃥s⃥ ⃥c⃥o⃥n⃥t⃥r⃥o⃥v⃥e⃥r⃥s⃥i⃥a⃥l⃥ ⃥a⃥n⃥d⃥ ⃥n⃥o⃥t⃥
⃥u⃥n⃥a⃥n⃥i⃥m⃥o⃥u⃥s⃥l⃥y⃥ ⃥a⃥c⃥c⃥e⃥p⃥t⃥e⃥d⃥ ⃥b⃥y⃥ ⃥t⃥h⃥e⃥ ⃥C⃥h⃥u⃥r⃥c⃥h⃥.⃥ ⃥ Also, pretty much anything by St. John Chrysostom is good and basic. I keep buying his books to read.

There, that's better!  police
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:21:52 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 01:06:07 AM »

The Brothers Karamazov

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 01:36:11 AM »

I've read The Orthodox Way and The Orthodox Church thus far. Also a bit of patristics here and there. What should be next on my list?
If you haven't read it, I highly recommend The Epistle of Barnabas, if you're looking for more modern stuff, then there is always the works of Fr. Seraphim Rose.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 01:41:28 AM »

Read the Gospels and the Psalms--straight through, to learn and familiarize yourself.

A catechism may be helpful as well.

I recall this being a pretty good catechism: http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Orthodox-Church-Faith-Life/dp/0937032255. There is also St. Philaret of Moscow's catechism: http://www.pravoslavieto.com/docs/eng/orthodox_catechism_of_philaret.htm

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Symeon77

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 03:43:51 AM »

I would echo the suggestions of others to read some lives of the Saints, perhaps more contemporary saints since they may be easier to relate to, they are written in a less conventional style and their lives are typically more detailed... I'm afraid with that one, I can't be much more specific, since it is a case of 'different strokes for different folks.' Saint Silouan the Athonite by Elder Sophrony (Sakharov) of Essex was the first one that I read and it affected me rather profoundly.

There are also some good and pretty thorough synopses of Orthodox spirituality, which are thematically organized and quite easily digestible:

The Roots of Christian of Christian Mysticism by Fr. Olivier Clement:
http://www.amazon.com/Roots-Christian-Mysticism-Patristic-Commentary/dp/1565480295/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

and/ or the two volumes by Tomas Spidlik, Spirituality of the Christian East:
http://www.amazon.com/Spirituality-Christian-East-Systematic-Cistercian/dp/0879079797/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y
&
http://www.amazon.com/Prayer-Spirituality-Christian-East-Vol-2/dp/0879077069/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

It's important to understand the liturgy; the reasons behind its prayers, symbols and structure.
The commentary by Heiromonk Gregorios is very thorough:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Divine-Liturgy-Commentary-Fathers/dp/0981731767/ref=pd_sim_b_27

Also here, with reviews and description:
http://deniseharveypublisher.gr/books/the-divine-liturgy

If you can afford it, I would order the hardcover edition, linked directly above, as it is a book to keep and treasure. Ordering directly from the publisher is best. Denise ships very promptly from Greece.

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
choy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 03:50:38 AM »

For the Life of the World by Fr. Alexander Schmemann.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 08:11:51 AM »

The Saving Work of Christ by St. Gregory Palamas. see:  http://www.amazon.com/The-Saving-Work-Christ-Sermons/dp/0977498352

This is a collection of homilies on Nativity, Transfirguration, Pascha, Redemption etc. in less than 130 pp. It is an excellent balance of profound, but understandable, theology from one of the major saints of the church.

Antiochian OC N.A.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »

Has The Way of a Pilgrim been mentioned yet?
It is a must read, imo.

I'd also suggest something more practical, like The Art of Prayer, by Igumen Chariton.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »

Has The Way of a Pilgrim been mentioned yet?
It is a must read, imo.

I'd also suggest something more practical, like The Art of Prayer, by Igumen Chariton.

I agree with The Way of a Pilgrim recommendation. There is a beautiful simplicity to it, which is really what Orthodox theology is: beautiful simplicity.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 11:34:33 AM »

Way of the Ascetics, by Tito Colliander

I'm going to second this. This has become one of my favorite books. Its a small book, but its very deep and very practical. I think every Orthodox person should read it, especially those new to the Faith. The Abbot of the Hermitage of Holy Cross in WV had me read it while I was at the monastery. He said it is important to start off with the basics of Christian life. I would recommend getting it and reading it a few times.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 12:27:46 PM »

The Father Arseny books are awesome.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: