OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:38:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Severus of Antioch's Works--Translations?  (Read 535 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: February 03, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »

I find it really great to see some scholars here and there presenting to us their study of St. Severus of Antioch only confirming our deep-seated beliefs of the Orthodoxy of this important Church father and the compatibility it might bring with EO theology.

However, I wonder, after all this work on this great saint, is there any effort done presently in translating his most famous series of works?  Particularly his works against John Grammarian, Sergius the Grammarian, and Julian of Halicarnassis.  It would seem to me pivotal to have these works translated to present as an important adjunct to the study of Christology (and perhaps other areas of theology) in our Church, rather than rely on secondary sources, which are are at this moment most grateful for.

For instance, I feel like I want to take extensive French classes to read the polemical volumes against Julian.  That would clear any problems with how to characterize St. Severus' Christology in the light of the most recent understandings today of the nature of Christ's incarnation, especially with regarding his human knowledge as well as what Julianism actually means and what St. Severus was actually fighting against.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »

For instance, I feel like I want to take extensive French classes to read the polemical volumes against Julian.  

Wouldn't learning Syriac be more useful? What's freely available on the web are the letters and cathedral homilies of St. Severus in the Patrologia Orientalis. The cathedral homilies come with a french, the letters with an english translation. The rest are either untranslated or somewhere in some university libraries.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:48:35 PM »

For instance, I feel like I want to take extensive French classes to read the polemical volumes against Julian.  

Wouldn't learning Syriac be more useful? What's freely available on the web are the letters and cathedral homilies of St. Severus in the Patrologia Orientalis. The cathedral homilies come with a french, the letters with an english translation. The rest are either untranslated or somewhere in some university libraries.

Well, I took two years of high school french, so in any case, that would be most helpful.  Plus, I already know how to read it, and the vocabulary would be quicker to learn than say, Syriac (and mind you I am terrible in Arabic, kindergarten Arabs can read better than me).

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:33:49 PM »

There some English translations of the works of Mor Severus of Antioch available online:
Collection of Letters 1- 61
http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/severus_coll_2_letters.htm

Collection of Letters 62- 118
http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/severus_coll_3_letters.htm

Sermon on the book of Maccabees
http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/severus_sermon_52.htm

NULL
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »

I've known those links for a while.  But his most important works I've mentioned, it's been a while now and still no update on their translation projects, if any.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:59:46 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 02:07:31 PM »

I find it really great to see some scholars here and there presenting to us their study of St. Severus of Antioch only confirming our deep-seated beliefs of the Orthodoxy of this important Church father and the compatibility it might bring with EO theology.

Would you mind sharing some of those studies with us?

-Samuel Coleridge
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »

Well the few I can think of are things you can't find online.  "Three Monophysite Christologies" by Roberta Chesnut, Grillmeier's phenomenal volumes of work, Pauline Allen's "Severus of Antioch", Torrence's "Christology After Chalcedon", Cyril Hovorun's recent publication "Will and Freedom", not to mention Fr. Peter Theodore's works and Fr. VC Samuel's excellent work, "The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined".  All secondary sources with some translations of his works, but after all these publications, I would imagine by now, let's see some full fledged translations rather than talk about him endlessly.

Can we make this decade the decade of translating all of Severus?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:15:53 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 03:16:23 PM »

If emperor Justinian wouldn't have burned all of St. Severus' Greek works I'd have translated some parts for you  Tongue
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:18:19 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 03:21:19 PM »

Do you have a link to the French versions at least? I'd at least like to see what 4 years of High School french will let me understand.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »

You can see the resources here:

http://www.cecs.acu.edu.au/severusresearch.htm

His anti-Julianist writings are translated in French already.  It seems the Philalethes and the anti-Nephalius and anti-Sergius works are also translated into French.

The Contra-Grammaticum volumes are in Latin it appears.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:44:19 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »

Do you have a link to the French versions at least? I'd at least like to see what 4 years of High School french will let me understand.

Here.

-Samuel Coleridge
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »

If I remember correctly, Fr Peter mentioned that he was in the process of translating St Severus' works. Smiley

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »

One French study I hope eventually gets translated to English is Fr. Joseph Lebon's "Le monophysisme sėvėrien".

The PDF is about 3/4 way down.

http://cpart.byu.edu/?page=99&sidebar

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 03:43:13 PM »

Those French and Germans man...they are like the capital languages of all good theological material.

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »

Those French and Germans man...they are like the capital languages of all good theological material.

They didn't call it lingua franca for nuthin'  laugh 

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: