OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 11:53:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comments about Cardinal Mahoney  (Read 612 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 01, 2013, 08:14:42 AM »

Nothing Cardinal Mahony or his minions did/do surprise me anymore.

"Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez announced Thursday that Cardinal Roger Mahony would have a reduced role in the church and that Santa Barbara Bishop Thomas J. Curry has stepped down from that job amid recent revelations over their handling of the priest abuse scandal in the 1980s."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:09:20 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »

Nothing Cardinal Mahony or his minions did/do surprise me anymore.

"Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez announced Thursday that Cardinal Roger Mahony would have a reduced role in the church and that Santa Barbara Bishop Thomas J. Curry has stepped down from that job amid recent revelations over their handling of the priest abuse scandal in the 1980s."

Yes, I heard that last night and was pleased that, in a church with an all-male hierarchy, we finally have a bishop with some removed, spanish or not we know what that means in english -username! section moderator/color]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:38:37 AM by username! » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:44:23 AM »

Topic split into this because these had nothing to do with the thread they were posted in -username! section mod. 

Locked until I can rename this "Comments about Cardinal Mahoney"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:46:54 AM by username! » Logged

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:09:35 AM »

Topic split into this because these had nothing to do with the thread they were posted in -username! section mod. 

Locked until I can rename this "Comments about Cardinal Mahoney"

Done for you.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »

I've never been impressed by His Eminence.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:59:20 PM »

Who's this Card. Mahoney and why does everyone on the internet hate him? Wikipedia was tl;dr.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:59:29 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »

Who's this Card. Mahoney and why does everyone on the internet hate him? Wikipedia was tl;dr.

You mean aside from the point the news item made about him being involved in covering up sex abuse cases?
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »

You mean aside from the point the news item made about him being involved in covering up sex abuse cases?

That's bad. There's more?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
choy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »

Beyond that I don't know.  Maybe he was the bishop behind that video of a deacon dancing around with the Gospels during a procession.  Maybe someone who knows can confirm that.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »

Bad enough, don't you think?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 05:57:41 PM »

I find that on the internet there's two reasons why Catholics despise a certain bishop.

1. There is a public sin.  Either they were directly the offender or that they are involved in someone else's sin such as the aforementioned covering up of sex abuse cases (which is a sin by itself).
2. They've been branded as "modernist Liturgical innovators," those who like bare churches and Protestant themed music, those who like EMHCs and girl altar servers, and those who deny requests to have a Latin Mass.

We know Cardinal Mahoney is #1, not sure if he's also #2.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 06:19:08 PM »

I find that on the internet there's two reasons why Catholics despise a certain bishop.

1. There is a public sin.  Either they were directly the offender or that they are involved in someone else's sin such as the aforementioned covering up of sex abuse cases (which is a sin by itself).
2. They've been branded as "modernist Liturgical innovators," those who like bare churches and Protestant themed music, those who like EMHCs and girl altar servers, and those who deny requests to have a Latin Mass.

He is the embodiment of #2:

Cardinal Mahoney mass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nZ5it20gKqw#!

I'm going to need this.
choy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »

He is the embodiment of #2:

Cardinal Mahoney mass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nZ5it20gKqw#!

That was what I was talking about earlier.  So he IS behind that.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »

Didn't a priest get killed in Mexico somewhere?...South America?..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:10:05 PM by WPM » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »

Protestant themed music

I like "When the Protestants go marching in", but other than that I don't think there's any good Protestant themed music.

But anyhow, I've never made much of a study of Cardinal Mahoney; but from the various statements I have heard over the years, he's quite liberal.

I also recall someone (Maria, perhaps?) telling us about Mahoney lecturing Melkites that they should embrace Papal Supremacy and whatnot.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »

1. There is a public sin.  Either they were directly the offender or that they are involved in someone else's sin such as the aforementioned covering up of sex abuse cases (which is a sin by itself).

He appears to be responsible on both counts looking at the evidence. The mass looks more appropriate to an Ancient Greek temple, sensuous dancing and all. All very odd. The covering up by anyone of the abuse of children or to failing to protect children is incompatible with Our Saviour's teaching.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:46:45 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »

With regard to covering up abuse, was Cardinal Mahoney the only RC bishop to actually have been charged (convicted?) of that? The latest? The one that continued a cover up after the scandals broke? I'm confused.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: