OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 10:18:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Apostles Fast, see you next year I hope  (Read 1163 times) Average Rating: 5
Peacemaker
Elder

« on: February 03, 2013, 04:15:44 AM »

Do you realize, those of us on the "new" calendar won't have the Holy Apostles Fast this year... What a downer, it's an important fast, it was one of Saint John Maximovitch's favorite.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:17:10 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:12:54 AM »

Do you realize, those of us on the "new" calendar won't have the Holy Apostles Fast this year... What a downer, it's an important fast, it was one of Saint John Maximovitch's favorite.

One of the many reasons having such a complicated and ecumenical calender as the revised julian makes no sense at all.

I like the Julian Calender.  Not only is it easy to follow it sets us aside from the commercialness of western Christmas and easter.  It is our identity and it sets us aside from the world. 

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:14:33 AM »

Write your bishop. At some point this whole revised julian calender stuff needs to cease to exist.

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »

It's not for us to decide, I acknowledge and except that. It's up to our patriarchs and holy senate to figure out.When you start to worry about the calender so much, you start to worship it in a sense and that's not good. Look at the Iconoclasm, that lasted a few hundred years. The calender might not be fixed in our life time, but if God sees it fit to need to fix it, He will.

But you know the great thing about Orthodox though, you can go to any Orthodox Church Wink

I go to a Greek one every other week, and a Russian one on the other weeks. Makes things interesting, that's for sure Cheesy

Anyway, just found it interesting that we won't have that fast, maybe to make up for it we can fast for two weeks in remembrance of the fast.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:58:49 AM »

One of the few benefits of having Gregorian Calendar instead of Revised Julian Calendar is that we don't have problems like that.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »

Write your bishop. At some point this whole revised julian calender stuff needs to cease to exist.
Is the bishop going to make the sun stand still like Joshua?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »

One of the many reasons having such a complicated and ecumenical calender as the revised julian makes no sense at all.

I like the Julian Calender.  Not only is it easy to follow it sets us aside from the commercialness of western Christmas and easter.  It is our identity and it sets us aside from the world. 
only where we are an obscure minority.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

Return to the topic or I'm merging it with the Great Calendar Thread.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »

I was talking with my priest about this today. He says that for those that can, should go to a Russian Church doing this fast if we want to be apart of it. Makes one think however, for the people who don't have that option to go from Church to Church how they feel about it. I know fasts are important, half of our year is made up of fasting and for the "season" of fasts it's even another thing. It's time for spiritual growth. That's why St. John the Wonderworker was so big on this fast, it was short enough it would be very hard on new converts but long enough to still feel the effects of it and grow in your faith a bit more. It's an interesting subject because there isn't really much you can do because pascha is so late this year, I almost feel like we wont fully benefit from this years Church year.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 01:16:12 AM »

Figures it would be. He was an apostle to the world himself.

Elder Cleopa of Romania said once that, if there was no Apostles Fast possible before the feast, it was the responsibility of the local Holy Synod to set a fast for the Holy Apostles. AFAIK, this has never happened since the imposition of the new calendar anywhere.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »

I should be able to point out the following without necessarily getting into the old/new calendar controversy.

Apostles' Feast is set for June 29th on the Church calendar but the fast is supposed to start on the Monday after the Sunday of All Saints, which is eight weeks or 28 days after Pascha.

Western Pascha is March 31st or 4 days after the first Paschal or ecclesiastic full moon (March 27th). In contrast, Eastern Pascha is May 5th or 39 days after the date set by the First Ecumenical Council.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 03:27:24 AM »

Off-topic merged with the Great Calendar Thread.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 03:38:24 AM »

I hate to keep beating his horse, but it seems I have to. You do realize that the absence of the Apostles' Fast in New Calendar churches this year has nothing to do with the Revised Julian Calendar per se? It's the fact that we still follow the old Julian Calendar for Pascha even though we've switched to the Revised Julian Calendar for the menologion. Follow the old Julian Calendar on everything, or follow the Revised Julian Calendar on everything (as does the Church of Finland), and the problem of no Apostles' Fast disappears entirely.

I like the Julian Calender.  Not only is it easy to follow it sets us aside from the commercialness of western Christmas and easter.  It is our identity and it sets us aside from the world.  
Personally, I find this escapism one of the most detestable reasons for desiring to follow the Old Calendar. Are we going to just let the world reclaim holy days that were once ours, especially when Christmas was originally instituted (so many believe) to claim a pagan festival as our own and transform it? Why are we running away from our duty to today's world?

Besides, the calendar isn't our identity that sets us apart from the world. Jesus Christ is our identity that sets us apart from the world.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:52:29 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 06:26:24 AM »

Was it addressed by any synods or bishops? I mean it's pretty serious and historic issue since it's the first time there is not Apostles' Fast since it was introduced. Or the calendars were published without a single comment?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:34:31 AM »

Was it addressed by any synods or bishops? I mean it's pretty serious and historic issue since it's the first time there is not Apostles' Fast since it was introduced. Or the calendars were published without a single comment?

It's not the first time. I'm pretty sure there was no Apostles' Fast in the year I was Chrismated either (2002).

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 09:14:36 AM »

Below is a link to a good article on the subject of the Apostles Fast by Elder Epiphanios Theodoropoulos.  The article is written in response to criticism of those on the New Calendar by the sectarian Old Calendarists.  Elder Epiphanios points out that the Apostles Fast used to be much longer than it is today even when following the Old Calendar.  He points out that if the Old Calendarists condemn those on the New Calendar because this fast is sometimes reduced or eliminated altogether, they should also condemn all of the bishops and patriarchs of the previous centuries who accepted the shortening of this fast long ago.

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/06/fast-of-holy-apostles-and-new-calendar.html

That being said, I agree that the results of the calendar change on this and other aspects of Church life have been regrettable. 
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »

It's not the first time. I'm pretty sure there was no Apostles' Fast in the year I was Chrismated either (2002).

James

Does anyone have a list of dates or something like that?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »

James

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/orthodox-easter-day#obs will calculate the date of Pascha historically and in the future and give the Gregorian date.  I don't know when the "cut off" date would be that erases the Apostles' Fast from the Revised Julian, but, as jmbejdl pointed out, Pascha in 2002 was also on May 5.  In 1983, Pascha fell on May 8.  Assuming May 1 is a cutoff, it appears from a cursory that at least twice in a 19 year cycle there is no Apostles Fast.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 11:38:58 AM »

James

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/orthodox-easter-day#obs will calculate the date of Pascha historically and in the future and give the Gregorian date.  I don't know when the "cut off" date would be that erases the Apostles' Fast from the Revised Julian, but, as jmbejdl pointed out, Pascha in 2002 was also on May 5.  In 1983, Pascha fell on May 8.  Assuming May 1 is a cutoff, it appears from a cursory that at least twice in a 19 year cycle there is no Apostles Fast.

TY.

I feel dumb now. I forgot it's done in a 19-year cycle.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »

James

TY.

That doesn't explain why only 11 years have passed since 2002.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »

James

TY.

It happens more than once in the cycle?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »

James

TY.

It happens more than once in the cycle?

Here is the full Cycle:

Golden Number1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19
Paschal Full Moon date      5A   25M   13A   2A   22M   10A   30M   18A   7A   27M   15A4A   24M   12A   1A   21M   9A   29M   17A

There doesn't seem to be any repetitions, though the 12th through 19th years seem to be the 1st through the 8th minus one.

Edit: Since these are actually the full moon dates, some of the 12th through 19th years of the could easily have pascha fall on the same date as the 1st through 8th.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:24:15 PM by sheenj » Logged
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 03:42:21 AM »

Below is a link to a good article on the subject of the Apostles Fast by Elder Epiphanios Theodoropoulos.  The article is written in response to criticism of those on the New Calendar by the sectarian Old Calendarists.  Elder Epiphanios points out that the Apostles Fast used to be much longer than it is today even when following the Old Calendar.  He points out that if the Old Calendarists condemn those on the New Calendar because this fast is sometimes reduced or eliminated altogether, they should also condemn all of the bishops and patriarchs of the previous centuries who accepted the shortening of this fast long ago.

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/06/fast-of-holy-apostles-and-new-calendar.html

That being said, I agree that the results of the calendar change on this and other aspects of Church life have been regrettable. 

I'm very, very surprised by this article. I've never heard that in fact the fast of the Holy Apostles and the Dormition Fast used to be one, so long fasting period! So how to explain today's practice of Oriental Orthodox, who begins the Apostles' Fast on the the next day after Pentecost? When I read your post about shorting this fast, I thought you meant this OO practice. But, actually, the history of this fast is much longer and complicated. So I wonder, why is this fast not marked in the liturgical practice at all (Copts are an exception).

I think it would be better if all Orthodox (of course including Orientals) celebrated Pascha counted by old Paschalias. The feast of Pascha is one of the greatest signs of Orthodox unity, so I would like to see Malankara (actually I think some of them celebrate by Old Style), Armenians, Finland celebrating Pascha together with us. And not by Gregorian calendar, because it's against Orthodoxy (the councils, Holy Fire etc.).

But as for the lack of Apostles' Fast this year, I don't find it something completely against to Orthodoxy, because the proper date of the greatest and most important liturgical period is maintained. However, if somebody thinks it's very negative, maybe New Calendars in the years when there is no the fast of Apostles should follow OO practice?... That's just my thinking aloud

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: