OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 12:19:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fragmented Protestantism  (Read 722 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« on: February 03, 2013, 12:27:57 AM »

I thought I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts are on this video.

In it, the Pastor is asked to respond to the common apologetic argument against Protestants that they are divided whereas Roman Catholics or Orthodox (depending on the given argument) are not. He says that, effectively, Protestants are ultimately no more divided than Roman Catholics and Orthodox. He posits that there are "19" streams or division with Orthodoxy, that he equates to the "16" in Roman Catholicism and "21" in Protestantism.

Any thoughts? And any idea where he gets these "19" divisions?

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:37:13 AM »

Any thoughts? And any idea where he gets these "19" divisions?
Wikipedia?

As to the rest, I have no idea what he is talking about. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:37:56 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:44:20 AM »

Wikipedia?

Even if it's from Wikipedia, I just don't understanding if he's talking about the major EO churches, EO + OO churches, or EO + OO + Old Calendarists + Old Believers + etc.?

And I just don't see the "apples to apples" to Orthodoxy.

Neither with Protestantism and Roman Catholicism. He even lumps the Sedevacantists with the RCC.

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:47:56 AM »

Wikipedia?

Even if it's from Wikipedia, I just don't understanding if he's talking about the major EO churches, EO + OO churches, or EO + OO + Old Calendarists + Old Believers + etc.?

And I just don't see the "apples to apples" to Orthodoxy.

Neither with Protestantism and Roman Catholicism. He even lumps the Sedevacantists with the RCC.
Wikipedia was my attempt at humor, because its a terrible reference source.  I especially liked, being a former Baptist, how he dismissed each independent church as individual and teaching its own thing and tried to lump them all together.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:28 AM »

Wikipedia was my attempt at humor, because its a terrible reference source.  I especially liked, being a former Baptist, how he dismissed each independent church as individual and teaching its own thing and tried to lump them all together.
It's interesting that, in order to deny Protestant fragmentation, he seems to understand unity in terms of shared tradition, liturgy, and doctrinal assumptions. He referred to a "practical catholicity" that was jointly expressed (e.g. conferences, literature, music, etc.), which shows visual unity among Protestants.

If that's true, then Eastern Catholics are in unity with the EO, OO, etc.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:09:02 AM by Nephi » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:21:09 AM »

I can totally understand why some Protestants might see Orthodoxy as fragmented and off the track. They view the infallible, inerrant, 66-book Bible, and only the Bible, as the foundation of their faith; Orthodoxy doesn't have 66 books (usually), disagrees amongst ourselves as to what the status of the deuterocanonical books are (sometimes), and Orthodox are more willing to admit errancy (at times). We must look very confused, and in some ways just plain wrong, about the most important issue in Christianity.

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 06:09:19 AM »

Perhaps he's referring to the autocephalous churches but even then 19 would be a wrong number.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:09:56 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 06:11:29 AM »

I'm wondering if he is talking about cultural distinctions (Greek, Russian, etc.)
leap of faith

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »

I'm wondering if he is talking about cultural distinctions (Greek, Russian, etc.)

That would be my guess.  I am continually hearing and reading of these "denominations" of the Orthodox Church.  Of course, that is an opportunity when witnessed firsthand to educate others about Orthodoxy with a smile and simple explanation.  The only time it bothers me is when I am unable to directly respond, such as a video or book.  Most of my protestant friends and families had never heard of the Orthodox Church until I began to consider converting.  (It will be a year ago, on Feb. 11, that I was received into the Church.  Glory to God!)  Knowing nothing, most will believe anything.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 09:29:13 AM »

Knowing nothing, most will believe anything.

Wise words and very true.
Nero

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »

If he's talking about "traditions, common practices, common liturgy, common doctrinal assumptions", then I have no idea how he finds "19 different traditions."

Even if he is grouping Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy together, and he means Byzantine rite / Slavonic Rite / Coptic Rite / Armenian, I still don't know how he gets 19. And I have absolutely no idea how he gets 16 in Catholicism.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 11:18:36 AM »

There are 15 of the EO and 7 of the OO. Exclude EP and Cyprus (because they are "Greek"), and OCA ("Russian") and you have 19.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 11:28:16 AM »

There are 15 of the EO and 7 of the OO. Exclude EP and Cyprus (because they are "Greek"), and OCA ("Russian") and you have 19.
Does that include the Finns?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 08:24:42 PM »

Does that include the Finns?

It includes whatever the fellow wants it to include to support his argument. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: