OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 03:49:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any ideas for a patron saint?  (Read 777 times) Average Rating: 0
icecreamsandwich
Likely perpetual neophyte

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 02, 2013, 09:58:52 PM »

Hi all Smiley.

I apologise for creating yet another thread on this oft-repeated topic, but I'm not sure where to go with choosing a patron saint. I've read many posts / articles on here and online about choosing a patron saint, but still am confused.

I'd initially thought of choosing a Byzantine Emperor. It's by reading about the Byzantines that I first learned about Orthodoxy, and St. Justinian's story and "against all odds" history really inspired me - I was especially pleased to hear the first time I attended a Liturgy that hymns from his time (and even one he composed) were being sung. However I don't know if it's a good idea to be picking a saint *precisely* because they were an Emperor, and he seems to be largely obscure in the Church. I'd also thought of Constantine, who'd be good, but truth be told, I'm still not comfortable with how he was baptised on his deathbed, and that he was an Arian also seems to be a bit, well, I don't feel comfortable with it.

I next thought of the Three Heirarchs. I don't know too much about St. Gregory (Nazaraius) yet, but Sts Basil and Chrysostom seem to both have been very involved with monks. That's not a bad thing, but (and I'm aware this sounds silly lol) the implication seems to be that you'd somehow aspire to be a monastic by having such a saint as your patron. However, I GREATLY enjoy the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and I also like St. Basil's Liturgy (even though I've only attended two) - I find it an inspiration that they were able to construct Liturgies.

Next, I thought of an American saint, but unfortunately they don't yet seem to be very common. I'd settled on Sts Tikhon of Moscow, and Innocent & Herman of Alaska. However, Sts Herman & Innocent were very heavily involved in evangelism, for which the same caveat as before seems to apply - I don't see myself as an evangelist so while I like them it makes it hard to relate. With St. Tikhon, I like that he helped to reinstitute the Western Rite, but again, he seems like a church builder / evangelist.

I've checked for saints / feast days on my birthday but nothing comes up that I'd be very captivated by.

The other opportunity is that my middle name is a derivative of John - I could pick *a* John, but which?

I'd like to find either a saint that fits me within the ones I've listed, or a saint that had to deal with tough circumstances in a foreign land, but wasn't a super preacher or church founder anything - just someone who tried to help the needy and help / inspire others and was humble and had great love for the Lord. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you Smiley.  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:02:39 PM by icecreamsandwich » Logged

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm still learning as I go along.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »

How about St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco? He seems to cover a number of the things you mentioned:

- Named John

- An American saint

- Not originally from America, and he was a clergyman in lands foreign to him multiple times (America, China, France)

- He was very saintly and humble (and quite a character!), but not particularly known as a super-ascetic or super-monastic or anything like that

- He dealt with tough circumstances in that ROCOR was small, its status was shaky, Orthodoxy was still fairly "foreign" in America, and there was tension on multiple fronts within ROCOR

- He also was very pro-western, not having the anti-western sentiment that some have in the Church

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:14:49 AM »

If you ignore your middle name there's always St. Raphael of Brooklyn and St. Alexander Hotovitzky - both "American" saints.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
icecreamsandwich

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:16:43 PM »

How about St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco? He seems to cover a number of the things you mentioned:

- Named John

- An American saint

- Not originally from America, and he was a clergyman in lands foreign to him multiple times (America, China, France)

- He was very saintly and humble (and quite a character!), but not particularly known as a super-ascetic or super-monastic or anything like that

- He dealt with tough circumstances in that ROCOR was small, its status was shaky, Orthodoxy was still fairly "foreign" in America, and there was tension on multiple fronts within ROCOR

- He also was very pro-western, not having the anti-western sentiment that some have in the Church

Wow - thank you very much - his life seems very interesting and I relate to him really well...

If you ignore your middle name there's always St. Raphael of Brooklyn and St. Alexander Hotovitzky - both "American" saints.

Thank you for the names - I will have to read some more about them and report back Smiley.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »

St. John of San Francisco was also in favor of converts keeping their Christian name, if they have one.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:52:06 PM »

I really think that is appropriate. Most however need to be given a life of their patron saint as an example to live by, many Christians do not know who their patron is. Or even more important which one is their patron for those with the same names  (example John---Sts John the Forerunner, Apostle John, John Climacus, John of Kronstad, John of Shanhai and San Francisco...etc).

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »

Just stick with your name if it is already a Christian name. There will never be Orthodox America if churches are filled with newly-baptized Vladimirs and Constantines.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:18:28 PM by Alpo » Logged
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »

I really think that is appropriate. Most however need to be given a life of their patron saint as an example to live by, many Christians do not know who their patron is. Or even more important which one is their patron for those with the same names  (example John---Sts John the Forerunner, Apostle John, John Climacus, John of Kronstad, John of Shanhai and San Francisco...etc).

But a question..say in my case where/when being a catechumen, Saint Seraphim of Sarov has entered my life and is very much there all the time, is this one of the things a priest could look at when you are asked to pick a patron saint name?

Forgive me if this sounds strange, english is not my native tongue or writing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:26:04 PM by Tommelomsky » Logged

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:39:58 AM »

Find a Saint who you can relate to, I find those are some of the best.

For example, my Saint is Saint John of the Ladder. I picked him because he is a teacher of monks, I'm in the process of becoming a monastic. His teachings of the ladder are something I need in my life because I have a lot of struggles (being a convert who walk away from the faith when I was younger and stayed away for over 15 years) his teachings give me strength to hold onto the ladder and not to give up when my foot starts to slip and and I start to fall. Seeing the monks who are falling and being pulled down by the demons reminds me of the life I use to live and don't want to end up again. My middle name is also John.

Sometimes, a Saint will pick you as well. I've heard stories about this happening. You'll see a vision in a dream or some weird coincidence happens.  Make sure to talk to your priest if something like that does happen so you don't fall into misguided illusion.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:41:43 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

This user is no longer active.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 01:59:10 AM »

Pick someone you can relate to, don't be lazy and pick someone just because they have the same name.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 02:20:12 AM »

don't be lazy and pick someone just because they have the same name.

It's not laziness, in most cases it's showing respect to your parents who named you. If I gave my kid a biblical name (first or middle), I would be honored and happy that they used it, instead of taking on a different name. This is how my presbyteria explained it to me and it makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:20:44 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

This user is no longer active.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 05:01:52 AM »

Pick someone you can relate to, don't be lazy and pick someone just because they have the same name.

I wasn't even given the option. I was given a list of Sts. James, told to read up on them and pick one. In actual fact one, who I'd never even heard of prior, jumped out immediately to the point where I told people that he felt like he already was my patron and I'd discovered, rather than chosen him. Personally, I think that if you have a Christian name already you should continue to use that.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 05:04:31 AM »

That's how it works. Most people do not do some lame beauty contests for saints.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 05:16:20 AM »

That's how it works. Most people do not do some lame beauty contests for saints.

I don't understand what you mean here by "lame beauty contests"...  Huh

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 05:22:27 AM »

I don't understand what you mean here by "lame beauty contests"...  Huh

I mean when a person named Thomas for example does not have St. Thomas for a patron-Saint but chooses between eg. St. Athanasius and St. Theodosius depending which one is "spiritually and personally close". That's what I call to myself beauty contests.

In this part of the world your patron Saint is the one who you are named after (unless you don't have a Saint's name). Period.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:23:50 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 05:24:13 AM »

Ahh, ok, I understand now Smiley

Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 07:39:19 AM »

My name actually comes from Thomas, I asked someone with the nickname Thomas. But I did not have that patron name in mind.
It was more a general question. I do actually have a patron saintname in mind.

In due time we will see if the name that it will be, is choosing me or being chosen by me. I am open for both.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »

What an image!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
icecreamsandwich

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »

I mean when a person named Thomas for example does not have St. Thomas for a patron-Saint but chooses between eg. St. Athanasius and St. Theodosius depending which one is "spiritually and personally close". That's what I call to myself beauty contests.

In this part of the world your patron Saint is the one who you are named after (unless you don't have a Saint's name). Period.

What about in a situation like mine where there are multiple saints for the name?

The way it seems to be is the saint is either decided for you by someone, or you decide for yourself. Either way it seems to be an "extreme" of sorts.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »

What about in a situation like mine where there are multiple saints for the name?

The way it seems to be is the saint is either decided for you by someone, or you decide for yourself. Either way it seems to be an "extreme" of sorts.

The most popular one or the closest to your birth date.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
icecreamsandwich

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 06:54:45 PM »

The most popular one or the closest to your birth date.

That makes sense - thanks Smiley.

Well, I think I've been obsessing about it too much so I'm just going to pray and ask my priest who he thinks would work and then go from there. Thank you so much all, for the help.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »

Beauty will save the world?  angel

Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 08:38:46 PM »

The best advice is that. There are many helpful and kind souls here. But in the end, it is only your priest and you (that you-me relationship)
that can work out a good solution.

Pray for it and let God through your priest come up with a good name that works for you.

Blessings.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: