OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:06:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: end times ideas just people that don't get grammar?  (Read 235 times) Average Rating: 0
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »

So, I hear Protestants talk about the 'end times' and 'last days' a lot in the sense that the word is coming to an eminent end.

Stuff like Hebrews 1,2 "Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world."

My question is, when I read this that is not what I get at all. The sense I am getting is "these last days" means "these past days" not "these final days." Anyone know what the connotation of the original Greek actually is?
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »

"The end of times" or "these last days" means that we are in the last phase of God's plan.  There are no longer any other prophesy left to be fulfilled except for the Second Coming and Final Judgement which is the literal end of times.  Now how long this period is, no one knows.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »

It's awe inspiring to be part of God's plan, isn't it?  ....even in the final phase of the plan.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: