OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:31:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In What Talk/Book/Etc. Did St. Seraphim of Sarov...  (Read 326 times) Average Rating: 0
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« on: February 01, 2013, 09:17:30 PM »

In what talk (publication) did St. Seraphim say: "Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved"?
Symeon77

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »

I could be mistaken but if memory serves it may be found in the conversation with Motovilov. I am away from my library so I can't verify at the moment. But it can be found in Fedotov's Treasury of Russian Spirituality. Also probably available online.

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »

That's where I thought it was from (the conversation with Motovilov), but I checked two online sources and neither had it from what I could see. I saw lots of quotes on blogs and wikis and such, but no citations. That's what I need though, a specific citation/reference.
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 11:44:54 PM »

In what talk (publication) did St. Seraphim say: "Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved"?

I think it might have been his book, "The Acquisition of the Holy Spirit."  I have it on my Nook, so it'll take a while to search the text.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »

If you find it and can post reference info it'd be much appreciated.  Smiley  I'd like to use the quote in a paper for a class, and would prefer having an actual reference rather than having to point to some unsourced quote on a wiki page as my source.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »

Maybe it's like those phantom quotes on the internet? Somebody just made it up at some point?
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »

I believe the quote comes from some of his Icons, not his writings.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »

Well that's possible (both thoughts), huh...

In any event, if you can't easily find it Gabriel I can use the quote from this book (which quotes it); I'd like to have something more substantive to base it on, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose Smiley
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:21:38 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: