OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 11:49:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I convert  (Read 1379 times) Average Rating: 0
mariac123

« on: January 10, 2005, 01:28:07 PM »

Hi Everyone.  I am a was baptized as a RC but I am not currently a practicing member. A year and a half ago, I met a Greek Orthodox man and we are talking about marriage and I am interested in converting to Greek Orthodox.  What would be involved?  Thank you for your help. 

NULL
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 01:35:36 PM »

Talk to the priest at your b/f's parish, he can tell you the steps involved. Generally you must attend classes to learn about the Church. After a period of instruction you decide if you still wish to convert. Since you were Baptised RC you probably won't have to Baptised again.

Proverbs 22:7
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »

Hi Mariac123,

You would need to speak to his priest, become a catechumen, make sure you agree with Orthodox teachings, and then be received. Reception in a Greek Orthodox parish for a Catholic usually involves a sacrament called chrismation which is akin to the Roman Catholic sacrament of confirmation (even if you were confirmed in the RCC).

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 05:05:55 PM »

Hi Everyone. I am a was baptized as a RC but I am not currently a practicing member. A year and a half ago, I met a Greek Orthodox man and we are talking about marriage and I am interested in converting to Greek Orthodox. What would be involved? Thank you for your help.

If you were to convert to the Malankara Orthodox Church, you would not have to do anything like confessing heresies or getting rebaptized to convert. Catholics are accepted as full members.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 05:06:42 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 05:55:26 PM »

How to convert is easy - living the Faith after you have converted is what has been very difficult for me!  :0(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 05:56:11 PM by TomS » Logged
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 04:31:30 PM »

How to convert is easy - living the Faith after you have converted is what has been very difficult for me! :0(

Don't let it get to you. The Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

1 Timothy 1:15 - "This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst."

If it was that hard for Paul then we shouldn't feel so bad about our shortcomings. After all, Jesus forgives us for them by His atoning blood.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 04:31:45 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: