Author Topic: How do I convert  (Read 1445 times)

Offline mariac123

How do I convert
« on: January 10, 2005, 01:28:07 PM »
Hi Everyone.  I am a was baptized as a RC but I am not currently a practicing member. A year and a half ago, I met a Greek Orthodox man and we are talking about marriage and I am interested in converting to Greek Orthodox.  What would be involved?  Thank you for your help. 
NULL

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
Re: How do I convert
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 01:35:36 PM »
Talk to the priest at your b/f's parish, he can tell you the steps involved. Generally you must attend classes to learn about the Church. After a period of instruction you decide if you still wish to convert. Since you were Baptised RC you probably won't have to Baptised again.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »
Hi Mariac123,

You would need to speak to his priest, become a catechumen, make sure you agree with Orthodox teachings, and then be received. Reception in a Greek Orthodox parish for a Catholic usually involves a sacrament called chrismation which is akin to the Roman Catholic sacrament of confirmation (even if you were confirmed in the RCC).

Anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Matthew777

• Archon
  • Seek and ye shall find
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 05:05:55 PM »
Hi Everyone. I am a was baptized as a RC but I am not currently a practicing member. A year and a half ago, I met a Greek Orthodox man and we are talking about marriage and I am interested in converting to Greek Orthodox. What would be involved? Thank you for your help.

If you were to convert to the Malankara Orthodox Church, you would not have to do anything like confessing heresies or getting rebaptized to convert. Catholics are accepted as full members.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 05:06:42 PM by Matthew777 »
He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm

Offline TomS

• Archon
  • "Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 05:55:26 PM »
How to convert is easy - living the Faith after you have converted is what has been very difficult for me!  :0(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 05:56:11 PM by TomS »

Offline Matthew777

• Archon
  • Seek and ye shall find
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 04:31:30 PM »
How to convert is easy - living the Faith after you have converted is what has been very difficult for me! :0(

Don't let it get to you. The Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

1 Timothy 1:15 - "This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst."

If it was that hard for Paul then we shouldn't feel so bad about our shortcomings. After all, Jesus forgives us for them by His atoning blood.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 04:31:45 PM by Matthew777 »
He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm