OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:43:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Your Prayer Rule Like?  (Read 1149 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: February 01, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »

Share your prayer rule here; what is yours like? What's a "good" prayer rule for the average 21st century American Orthodox Christian? My prayer rule is something like this:

1) Pray the Hours at 6, 7, 9, 12 and 3, although, I admittedly miss 6 and 7 most of the time.

2) Morning prayer which is probably the longest one of the day, it mostly consists in me apologizing for any offenses and asking for help with various problems, maybe sometimes combined with a few Psalms and/or selections from the Jordanville Prayer Book.

3) Small prayers throughout the day about various things.

4) Nightly prayers, which usually last about 10-15 minutes and are mostly composed of me bellyaching to God about my problems and everything fun having to be a sin, wanting pleasure. Usually concluded with Psalm 50(51).

What I DON'T do--which I should start doing sometime--is pray before and after meals, mostly because I don't want to make things weirder than they already are between me and my family.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »

What hour do you pray at 7?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:56:14 PM »

Week days I say the morning prayers and compline from the HTM. Some days I will insert a canon or include vespers when I get home from work.

Weekends I will say matins and vespers in addition or instead of the morning prayers and compline.
peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:04:36 PM »

Morning - Metanoias and Morning Prayers from book.
Evening - Evening prayers from book, Jesus Prayer, and then bible reading. I use the UOC of USA Prayer book.

I at least try to make the sign of the cross before meals, but don't always remember. Getting better. If I'm alone I'll say prayer in my corner.

I was advised to say the Akathist to the Theotokos in the evenings as well, but have a hard time paying attention that long. I'm working towards it though. I'd like to incorporate more psalms into my prayer life. Thinking mayhaps the matins psalms with my mornings. I'll be asking my spiritual father tomorrow aboot that. Yup.

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19:05 PM »

I follow a pretty simple prayer rule. I use the St. Philip's Prayer Discipline, which is just morning and evening prayers with slight variation depending on the day, etc.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »

I like to say the Lord's Prayer three times a day, as well as a personal prayer in the morning and before I go to bed and small prayers throughout the day.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:26:27 PM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »

What's Your Prayer Rule Like?

Scatter-brained and inconsistent  Undecided

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »

It's ceaseless.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »

Everyday- a set of 5 small prayers first thing when I get up, followed by morning prayers in the back of the OSB, pray the Our Father at work when the hours should be read( if I don't work and I'm not lazy I pray the hour).  Evening prayers from the OSB and a set of  3 small prayers in bed.

Once or twice a week I will do prostrations and spend 20-30 mins with the Jesus prayer.
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:18:40 PM »

I pray the first hour of the Coptic Agpeya in the morning with Byzantine intersessions added (ie "Be mindful, O Lord"). I am less formal in the evening. Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 12:40:40 AM »

As a follow-up to my last post, my actual rule is something along the lines of:

Morning: Morning Prayers
Day: Akathist For the Departed
Early Evening: Canon of Repentance, Jesus Prayer
Evening: Evening Prayers

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:43 AM »

Mine goes like this:

"Ok, time to say my morning prayers.... wait.... im gonna get a cup of coffee first."

hours pass....

"well, time to go to work. i missed my morning prayers, so ill just make up for it during my night prayers..."

get home. hang out with my wife. go to bed.

repeat.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 12:46:34 AM »

ok, my life doesnt actually suck as bad as that post would suggest. but unfortunately, it does happen sometimes.

the point is that i really suck at maintaining a consistent prayer rule.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 07:02:16 AM »

What's Your Prayer Rule Like?

Scatter-brained and inconsistent  Undecided

+1

In theory, it involves:

Morning prayers before going out.
A rosary (put together by myself) on the way home from school run.
Midnight Office once I'm back home.
Small Compline after the young one is in bed and I'm officially 'off duty' for the night.

Plus Vespers on the eves of feast days and Orthros on the day itself, and assorted extras depending on the feast coming up.

In practice, any of those (but definitely not all) may be skipped due to busyness and/or exhaustion. I'm not happy about that, of course, and I'm working on making time.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Symeon77

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 07:11:53 AM »

I try to maintain a very brief and simple which is easier to maintain:

Abbreviated morning and evening prayers which each last about 5 min.

Jesus Prayer throughout the day, joined to the breath. Sometimes it 'sticks' but typically not.

30 min. of focused recitation of Jesus Prayer with prayer rope.

Preparatory prayers for communion out of HTM Saturday evening/ Sunday a.m.

This works well enough with a busy schedule, if I am not lazy.

My 'rule' has changed a lot over the years depending on circumstances. The hardest thing- and what I have been taught is the most important- is getting out of my head, and maintaining awareness of the Lord's presence and activity throughout the day.

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »

I didn't know a) that ordinary laymen have Prayer rules nor b) that individual Prayer Rules are something to be discussed publicly on internet.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:15:18 AM by Alpo » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 07:16:15 AM »

I didn't know a) that ordinary laymen have Prayer rules nor b) that individual Prayer Rules are something to be discussed publicly on internet.

Well now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »

We have a degree of anonymity here and, if you are like me, my confessor doesn't give people prayer rules. Smiley

Punch
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »

Amazing what one learns on this site.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »

Mine goes like this:

"Ok, time to say my morning prayers.... wait.... im gonna get a cup of coffee first."

hours pass....

"well, time to go to work. i missed my morning prayers, so ill just make up for it during my night prayers..."

get home. hang out with my wife. go to bed.

repeat.

This is pretty close to reality for me, but in theory (when I actually get a chance), it goes like this:

Morning Prayer from "The Book of Common Prayer" from Lancelot Andrewes Press
Epistle and Gospel according to the Old Calendar
Sext from "The Divine Office" by Angeles Press (if I get some peace during lunch at work).
Evening Prayer from "The Book of Common Prayer" as above.
Readings from the Lectionary contained in the above (days according to the Western Rite Calendar put out by ROCOR (old style)).
Reading from the lives of the Saints for the day (from the app discussed below).

There is an app put out by the Moscow Patriarchate that provides one with the Lives of the Saints, the Troparia and Kontakia, and the Epistle and Gospel readings for every day of the year according to the Old Calendar.  Since I usually have my Smart Phone with me, I try to go through at least these daily readings if I cannot perform the Rule above.  I also carry a small 1662 Book of Common Prayer with me and try to read the Psalms for the day at work if I missed them in the Morning.

Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »

I am TERRIBLE at keeping a prayer rule.  However, when I do it, I use either the Morning Prayers from Orthodox Daily Prayers (published by St. Tikhon's) or the Morning Prayers from the Jordanville Prayer Book.  It is hard to say which book I like better because both of them contains some really nice prayers.  I am also a great believer in abbreviating the prayer rule, and just saying one or two prayers with reverence and devout attention than trying to rush through things because I'm don't have enough time or I'm too tired.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »

It's long and thick. Now pray for me a wretched sinner.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 09:35:32 PM »

Hey Punch, think you could share the name of that App? Is it available for the iPhone?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »

Wake up and be too late to pray in the morning, be too exhausted to pray before bed.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 09:52:23 PM »

I use an app called Pray Always. I forget who makes it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »

I use an app called Pray Always. I forget who makes it.

I have this app as well.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »

Hey Punch, think you could share the name of that App? Is it available for the iPhone?

http://www.holytrinityorthodox.com/index.html

Above is the home page for the Church.  The app is available for the iPhone.

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 04:07:50 AM »

The Cell Rule of Five Hundred of the Optina Monastery  aka Optina 500

After the customary three prostrations performed at the commencement of every rule of prayer: (1) God, be merciful to me a sinner. (2) God be gracious unto my sins and have mercy on me. (3) O Thou Who hast fashioned me, Lord, have mercy. I have sinned beyond measure, O Lord, forgive me. In one's cell a fourth prostration is added together with the prayer: My Lady, Most Holy Theotokos, save me a sinner. Then the following prayers are said:

Through the Prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us. Amen.

Glory to Thee, our God, glory to Thee. O Heavenly King. Holy God (3). Glory. Both Now. Amen.

All Holy Trinity. Lord, have mercy (3). Glory. Both Now. Amen.

Our Father. Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us. Amen. Lord, have mercy (12). Glory. Both Now. Amen.

O come, let us worship God our King.

O come, let us worship and fall down before Christ our King and God.

O come, let us worship and fall down before Him, Christ the King and our God.

Psalm 50. Symbol.

First group. Then one hundred prayers: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner, with full prostrations for the first ten prayers, full bows for the next twenty prayers, and on the last, that is, the hundredth prayer, again a full prostration.

After this, the following Prayer to the Most Holy Theotokos:

My Most Holy Lady Theotokos, by thy holy and all-powerful entreaties dispel from me, thy humble, wretched servant, despondency, forgetfulness, folly, carelessness, and all impure, evil, and blasphemous thoughts out of my wretched heart and my darkened mind. And quench the flame of my passions, for I am poor and wretched, and deliver me from my many cruel memories and deeds, and free me from all evil actions: for blessed art thou by all generations, and glorified is thy most honourable name unto the ages of ages. Amen.

At the end of this prayer a full prostration.

Second group. Then again one hundred Jesus Prayers in the same order as before with ten full prostrations and twenty full bows. On the last Jesus Prayer a full prostration and again the same prayer: My Most Holy Lady Theotokos, with a full prostration.

Third group. One hundred likewise as the first and second.

Fourth group. One hundred consisting of prayers to the Most Holy Theotokos: My Most Holy Lady Theotokos, save me a sinner. In this group of one hundred the first ten prayers are likewise made with full prostrations and the following twenty with full bows, the remaining without bows. The last and hundredth prayer is made with a full prostration, after which with a full prostration the prayer: My Most Holy Lady Theotokos.

Then fifty prayers: O Holy Angel of God, my Guardian, pray to God for me a sinner. On the first five prayers, full prostrations; on the following ten, full bows; the remaining thirty-four, without bows. Only on the last prayer a full prostration and again the prayer: My Most Holy Lady Theotokos, with a full prostration.

Then fifty prayers: All Saints, pray to God for me a sinner. On the first five prayers, full prostrations; on the following ten, full bows; the remaining thirty-four, without bows. Again the last prayer with a full prostration, after which is said the prayer: My Most Holy Lady Theotokos, with a full prostration. Then:

It is truly meet to call thee blessed, the Theotokos, the ever-blessed and all-immaculate and Mother of our God. More honourable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim, thee who without corruption gayest birth to God the Word,the very Theotokos, thee do we magnify.

At the end of this prayer a full prostration.

After this: Glory to Thee, Christ God, our Hope, glory be to Thee. Glory. Both now. Lord, have mercy (3) and Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us. Amen.

On weekdays all of the above-mentioned bows and prostrations are performed. On the days of Pentecost, on days when there is the Polyeleos, on Forefeasts and for the duration of the Feasts, on days when the Great Doxology is chanted at Matins and in the church services full prostrations are dispensed with, in like manner in one's cell the full prostrations are replaced with full bows, as is also the case on all days throughout the year when there is a Vigil. On the last two days of Passion Week, for all of Bright Week, and from the twenty-fourth of December until the seventh of January, this cell rule is completely dispensed with, as is likewise the case on all Sundays throughout the year, even if the all-night Vigil has not been performed, but only Vespers and Matins, as is done in winter.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Michael36

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian Episcopate (OCA)

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 02:39:42 AM »

Mine sort of depends on the day and struggles.

Morning begins with either the Morning Prayers from the Antiochian Pocket Prayer Book or the Pray Always app, or the Prayer Rule of St. Seraphim of Sarov if I'm having a bad week.

If I'm off work at Midday, I do the 6th hour from the Horologian or Pray Always in its entirety, but if I'm at work I sneak off to a dark corner of the freezer and do the Trisagion and the Troparia of the 6th hour.

Depending on my struggles during the week, I'll usually do an Akathist once during the week, break up the Paraklesis to the Theotokos into 4 parts so I do it every day with focus, Vespers from the HTM Horologian on Wednesday, Canon of Repentance on Friday, and the Order of Preparation for Communion on Saturday night.

At Night I do a General Intercession and then evening prayers from the Antiochian Prayerbook (most days) or Pray Always (if I sinned a lot that day)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: