OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 12:13:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Book Collection  (Read 14114 times) Average Rating: 0
peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« on: February 01, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »

Hi, All!

When I was first getting into Orthodoxy I was looking for the right prayer book. I've seen others on here doing the same. Over the past two years I've develouped a collection. That collection is slowly growing as well. So, I'm going to post here a list of what I have, and if anyone has questions about them, I can answer them. I'll take pictures if they are requested as well. I've noticed too a lack of those.

I encourage anyone else with books that I don't have listed here to help out!

Forgive me if I'm slow to respond!

The list!!!!!

Book of Common Prayer - Lancelot Andrewes Press
Orthodox Prayer Book - Holy Protection Monastery, New Varatic Publishing
Old Orthodox Prayer Book - Russian Orthodox Church of the Nativity (Old Rite), Erie Pennsylvania
Publicans Prayer Book (Melkite) - Sophia Press
Prayer Book - Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (I use this one Smiley )
The Monastic Diurnal - Oxford University Press
The Saint Ambrose Prayer Book - Lancelot Andrewes Press
Jordanville Prayer Book - Holy Trinity Monastery
Orthodox Daily Prayers - St. Tikhon's Seminary Press
The Hours and the Typica - St. Tikhon's Seminary Press
SVIT Prayer Book - St. Tikhon's Press
Prayer Book - Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Toronto
A Manual of Occasional Prayers - Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery
A Manual of the Hours of the Orthodox Church - Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery
Prayer Book - Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Western America
A Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians - Holy Transfiguration Monastery
Agpeya, The Coptic Book of the Seven Hours - Virgin Mary and Archangel Michael Coptic Orthodox Church of Connecticut, USA
The Great Horologion - Holy Transfiguration Monastery

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »

Glad to hear you are using the best one out there!  Wink

I use it, too!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »

The Hours of Prayer: A Book of Devotion, produced by the Orthodox Brotherhood of the Virgin Mary in Elkhorn, WV
icecreamsandwich
Likely perpetual neophyte

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »

Hi, All!

When I was first getting into Orthodoxy I was looking for the right prayer book. I've seen others on here doing the same. Over the past two years I've develouped a collection. That collection is slowly growing as well. So, I'm going to post here a list of what I have, and if anyone has questions about them, I can answer them. I'll take pictures if they are requested as well. I've noticed too a lack of those.

I encourage anyone else with books that I don't have listed here to help out!

Forgive me if I'm slow to respond!

The list!!!!!

Book of Common Prayer - Lancelot Andrewes Press
Orthodox Prayer Book - Holy Protection Monastery, New Varatic Publishing
Old Orthodox Prayer Book - Russian Orthodox Church of the Nativity (Old Rite), Erie Pennsylvania
Publicans Prayer Book (Melkite) - Sophia Press
The Monastic Diurnal - Oxford University Press
The Saint Ambrose Prayer Book - Lancelot Andrewes Press
Jordanville Prayer Book - Holy Trinity Monastery
Orthodox Daily Prayers - St. Tikhon's Seminary Press
The Hours and the Typica - St. Tikhon's Seminary Press
SVIT Prayer Book - St. Tikhon's Press
Prayer Book - Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Toronto
A Manual of Occasional Prayers - Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery
A Manual of the Hours of the Orthodox Church - Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery
Prayer Book - Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Western America
A Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians - Holy Transfiguration Monastery
Agpeya, The Coptic Book of the Seven Hours - Virgin Mary and Archangel Michael Coptic Orthodox Church of Connecticut, USA
The Great Horologion - Holy Transfiguration Monastery

I'd like to ask - what is your impression of the Publican's Prayer Book? Does it have a lectionary inside, and also any of the other services (compline/vespers/matins), and also pre- and post-communion prayers? Also, between it, and the HTM prayer book, and the Jordanville book, which would you recommend for a catechumen? I'd prefer, if possible, to have just 1 prayer book, rather than a collection haha. Finally, is it worth the $36, as compared to other, cheaper prayer books, again such as the HTM/Jordanville ones?

Thank you so much.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:29:00 PM by icecreamsandwich » Logged

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm still learning as I go along.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:52:38 PM »

I'd like to ask - what is your impression of the Publican's Prayer Book? Does it have a lectionary inside, and also any of the other services (compline/vespers/matins), and also pre- and post-communion prayers? Also, between it, and the HTM prayer book, and the Jordanville book, which would you recommend for a catechumen? I'd prefer, if possible, to have just 1 prayer book, rather than a collection haha. Finally, is it worth the $36, as compared to other, cheaper prayer books, again such as the HTM/Jordanville ones?

Thank you so much.

No, to lectionary.  Yes, to pre and post-Communion prayers.  It contains the expectd Canons and Akathists but no services of the Horologion.  I would say it is worth it, is well put together and has more material than HTM/Jordanville and is in modern English.  It is Melkite Catholic, I don't know if that is a draw back for you.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
peacenprayer

ting ting ting

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »

The Publican’s Prayer book, I like the look of it. It’s a great size, the printings nice, the binding excellent. The paper quality is also nice. Some of the images are pixilated pretty badly. I don’t know how they let that pass when everything else is done so well, but it’s not that important, I suppose.
It has pre and post communion prayers and a good collection of canons and akathists. It’s a nice looking and reading book all around. That being said, this is a Melkite Greek Catholic prayer book. That is they are in communion with Rome and the book has some prayers for the Pope in it. I’m not sure if all the feasts listed in this book are orthodox, either. I like this book, but you should get permission from your Spiritual Father or Priest before you use it in your rule.
I think between the HTM, Jordanville and the Publicans, I would advise the first two for a catechumen. Slavic parish? Go for the Jordanville (though I am not impressed with the binding. I find it hard to use and the pages didn’t hold up very well against my thumb. Needs to be looser and bigger). The SVIT is also nice. Greek parish? Go for the HTM prayer book. I used that one when I was a catechumen. My issue with that book is that is only has Small Compline instead of evening prayers. I would prefer it to have both. However… Antiochian parish? Go for their prayer book. The larger one I have used, but don’t have a copy of. It was lovely.
I hope this helps. Any more questions or want for me to be more specific on anything, let me know. I can take pictures, too.

icecreamsandwich

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:12:50 PM »

No, to lectionary.  Yes, to pre and post-Communion prayers.  It contains the expectd Canons and Akathists but no services of the Horologion.  I would say it is worth it, is well put together and has more material than HTM/Jordanville and is in modern English.  It is Melkite Catholic, I don't know if that is a draw back for you.

Thank you Smiley. Drat, lol. I don't know if it being Melkite Catholic would be a drawback or not - I don't think so and I can't deny I really like the prayer book. I know there's a prayer for the Pope of Rome but that could simply not be prayed, or prayed, or replaced with a prayer for my Metropolitan, or something else maybe, so I don't think that's an issue. I guess I do wonder, though, if the feasts/saints and their dates would coincide with one another, because for now, I'm still trying to understand the calendar of the Church and navigate my way around it so I think it might help to find one that's consistent and go from there, if that makes sense?

The Publican’s Prayer book, I like the look of it. It’s a great size, the printings nice, the binding excellent. The paper quality is also nice. Some of the images are pixilated pretty badly. I don’t know how they let that pass when everything else is done so well, but it’s not that important, I suppose.
It has pre and post communion prayers and a good collection of canons and akathists. It’s a nice looking and reading book all around. That being said, this is a Melkite Greek Catholic prayer book. That is they are in communion with Rome and the book has some prayers for the Pope in it. I’m not sure if all the feasts listed in this book are orthodox, either. I like this book, but you should get permission from your Spiritual Father or Priest before you use it in your rule.
I think between the HTM, Jordanville and the Publicans, I would advise the first two for a catechumen. Slavic parish? Go for the Jordanville (though I am not impressed with the binding. I find it hard to use and the pages didn’t hold up very well against my thumb. Needs to be looser and bigger). The SVIT is also nice. Greek parish? Go for the HTM prayer book. I used that one when I was a catechumen. My issue with that book is that is only has Small Compline instead of evening prayers. I would prefer it to have both. However… Antiochian parish? Go for their prayer book. The larger one I have used, but don’t have a copy of. It was lovely.
I hope this helps. Any more questions or want for me to be more specific on anything, let me know. I can take pictures, too.

Having spoken with the priest I hope will be my Father-Confessor, I asked him which tradition we follow and it turns out it's the Russian tradition, so for that the Jordanville as I understand would likely be more in line with the terminology we use in the Liturgy and the language of the prayers (I like using thee and thou as I find their rarity in my daily use to indicate respectfulness which I think is a good thing when praying haha). However, I could deal with modern English. I asked him which he uses, and he said that he recommends the HTM one, but that the Jordanville one is also good. I don't know if he'd consent to my using the Publican Prayer Book, though, and am not sure if it can be justified haha.

Does the HTM one have a lectionary, and what happens with the small Compline? I assume that replaces the "standard" evening prayers? Also, it says it includes the Vespers and Matins services, but what about the variable parts? As in, is it enough of the service that you can pray it on your own, time/circumstances allowing? Does it have a replacement prayer for when one cannot attend the Liturgy? Does it have pre-post Confession prayers? Finally, does it include nice "tidbits" about the practices of the Church, as the Publican one seems to?

http://absnospin.blogspot.com/2010/03/review-publicans-prayerbook.html

Also, may you please take a picture of some of the pages of the HTM, and especially the table of contents?

Again, thank you very much - I greatly appreciate the responses Smiley. Sorry for all of the questions lol *blushes*
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:31:31 PM by icecreamsandwich » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 03:49:07 PM »

What an Earth you do with all those books? Why to have more than just one?

peacenprayer

ting ting ting

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »

Taking a peek, neither the Jordanville nor the HTM books have lectionaries. I’m presently uploading pictures from both books, especially the table of contents.
One thing I like is that both use ‘Rejoice’ in the Akathist to the Theotokos, rather than ‘Hail.’ Just a personal preference.

What an Earth you do with all those books? Why to have more than just one?

I was looking for the right one.. also I may or may not be addicted to online book shopping.  Grin

peacenprayer

ting ting ting

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »

HTM Prayer Book Images

peacenprayer

ting ting ting

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »

Aaaaand Jordanville Prayer Book

The last picture is to show the stiff binding. The spine has cracked.

icecreamsandwich

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »

HTM Prayer Book Images

Aaaaand Jordanville Prayer Book

The last picture is to show the stiff binding. The spine has cracked.

Thank you so much for the pictures... It seems like the HTM one is better suited to my desires than the Jordanville one, but it seems to be lacking in parts (pre/post confession prayers, for example).

Is there no way to have the other services (Vespers/Matins/Compline), plus essential prayers (daily/evening/communion/confession/akathists) so that one doesn't have to constantly switch around?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:04:10 PM by icecreamsandwich » Logged

peacenprayer

ting ting ting

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »

I haven't found it yet, lol
I kind of want to publish my own.   Grin
One for each jurisdiction with (Greek/Slavic/Ukrainian/lolcat, whatever) on one side and English on the other. It would be hard bound with loose pages in a decent size, available in leather for the fancy folks.

Even better "Build your own Prayer Book" with all the common prayers and such in whatever languages and binding you want... with ribbons. 400 ribbons! GOA? We have there versions. Old Beliver? Check! OCA but your hearth belongs to ROCOR? We can do that!

^___^

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »

One for each jurisdiction with (Greek/Slavic/Ukrainian/lolcat, whatever) on one side and English on the other. It would be hard bound with loose pages in a decent size, available in leather for the fancy folks.

Even better "Build your own Prayer Book" with all the common prayers and such in whatever languages and binding you want... with ribbons. 400 ribbons! GOA? We have there versions. Old Beliver? Check! OCA but your hearth belongs to ROCOR? We can do that!

^___^

That is a neat idea.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 08:12:44 PM »

^___^

That is a neat idea.

And in the age of electronic files, not even that hard! Grin

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
peacenprayer

ting ting ting

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »

^___^

That is a neat idea.

And in the age of electronic files, not even that hard! Grin

I just don't know how to go about doing it. I'll actually look into it. If someone beats me to it, I ain't even mad!

icecreamsandwich

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »

Well, the All Saints of Alaska prayerbook has a digital edition

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TGUYRA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0196DWGP75C66HKDNZH1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Antonious

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »

Can somebody please confirm if this Orthodox Prayer Book is the same as what is sometimes called the "Svit" prayer book? I looked for an ISBN, but it only lists a SKU number. I am trying to confirm more details, like how many pages, what prayers are in the book (complete list, if known), quality of the binding, readability of the font, if this is an appropriate book for ROCOR/MP laity, etc.

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)
peacenprayer

ting ting ting

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 09:22:06 PM »

Indeedy, that's the SVIT.

Antonious

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »

Indeedy, that's the SVIT.

Thank you peacenprayer. I'm guessing the book I linked to is simply a later edition than this one. I went ahead and ordered it. I have a few prayer books at home, but none of them Eastern Orthodox, so I wanted to get one. The parish I have been visiting uses both English and Church Slavonic, so I thought this might be suitable. Thanks again.

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)
Cyprian09

Faith: Orthodox (the land of milk and honey) after long sojourns in Protestantism (the confusing wilderness) and Catholicism (the illusory oasis)
Jurisdiction: Greek, but my heart belongs to the Slavic

St. Cyprian of Carthage, pray for me

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 06:30:13 PM »

For those who are not yet aware of it, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada has recently published a bi-lingual update of the "Good Shepherd" prayer book in 2013. This looks promising and may be the most complete Orthodox prayer book available in English. Below are some links:

http://www.uocc.ca/en-ca/faith/articles/parishlife/anewprayerbook.asp
http://www.pinterest.com/pastyrCA/%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B9-%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B8%D1%80-%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA-good-shepherd-prayer-book/
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »

It seems like the HTM one is better suited to my desires than the Jordanville one, but it seems to be lacking in parts (pre/post confession prayers, for example).

They're in there.  Check the bottom of the second picture.

No need to go outside of Orthodoxy for prayer books; ours work just fine.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Christophoros

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »

Don't forget "An Orthodox Prayer Book" from Newrome Press:

http://newromepress.com/orthodox-prayer-book

And if you're going to include Uniate prayer books (which apparently you have), there's "Beneath the Mantle of Your Mercy," published by the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Edmonton:

http://www.skeparchy.org/news-articles-documents/news-articles/canadian-national-news/prayer-book-beneath-the-mantle.html

The above is an interesting resource to compare with the prayer books published by Ukrainian Orthodox bodies in the U.S. and Canada.
Levsky

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Orthodox Diocese of the USA, Canada, and Australia

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »

I thought I would add my list of prayer books:

1. Molitvenik (Bulgarian) - Synodal Publication of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church.
2. Pravoslaven Molitvenik (Bulgarian/Church Slavonic) - Monastery of the Great Martyr George "Zographou," Mt. Athos.
3. Moltivslov & Psalter (Old Church Slavonic) - Sretensky Monastery Press, Moscow.
4. Manual of Eastern Orthodox Prayers - Brotherhood of Sts. Alban & Sergius.
5. The Svit Prayer Book (English/Church Slavonic) - St. Tikhon's Monastery Press.
6. "Rejoice O Bride Unwedded: 60 Akathists to the Most Holy Theotokos" (Church Slavonic) - Monastery of the Holy Trinity/St. Sergius.
7. Akathists, Vols. 1 & 2 (Bulgarian) - Monastery of the Great Martyr George "Zographou," Mt. Athos.
8. Book of Akathists - Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville.

I also have the Divine Services of the Orthodox Church (St. Tikhon's), the Orthodox Daily Prayers (St. Tikhon's), and a book of akathists in English on my tablet.

I don't have an ideal prayer book, but I think that "The Svit Prayer Book" will fit the bill nicely because I am currently attending a ROCOR parish and I need the English and Church Slavonic side by side because I've gotten lost several times during services.
icecreamsandwich

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »

In case anyone finds this helpful, here is a review of the HTM ("blue") prayer book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BvPJIzw_b8
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:48:39 PM by icecreamsandwich » Logged

Tags: prayer book 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: