OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:47:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Big Fat Greek Wedding  (Read 952 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: May 29, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »

It Took 4 Years to Write 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' Sequel

Aching for a My Big Fat Greek Wedding sequel? Your wishes have been granted. Nia Vardalos, who penned and starred in the original, has whipped out the Windex to end the wait for a follow-up to the 2002 sleeper box office hit, which is one the highest-grossing independent films ever...

The plot will once again focus on the exuberant Portokalos family members, who will likely reunite for another wedding, though Vardalos kept her lips sealed on divulging details...

There are many foolish priests out there.
kelly
God save Ukraine and Russia
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: mysterious iniquitousness

Sts. Boris and Gleb

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »

Didn't she learn her lesson after the failed television spin-off?

Remove the plank of lust from your own eye and you will be able to clearly see the speck of backflesh through the buttonhole of another.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »

Hope springs eternal!

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »

Nia Vardalos appeared as a defense attorney on Law & Order: SVU.  Frankly, I think her ship has sailed....
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »

I just recently decided to give "Greek" a try ... coincidence?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »

How many episodes did that show last?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 10:31:17 PM »

How many episodes did that show last?

My Big Fat Greek Life lasted 7 episodes.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »

--sub--

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 10:36:56 PM »

She should introduce a Coptic character in there just for fun. Uncle Gus vs Uncle Mina having a Chalcedon debate Tongue

"Xeno, xeno with one nature!"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:38:25 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
wainscottbl
Grand Duke of Louisville and all the Kentuckys
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Ave, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »

I've been trying to see the first one since looking into Orthodoxy. They won't put it on Netflix!

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
Avdima

Faith: In search of...
Jurisdiction: none

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 12:22:01 AM »

Nia Vardalos appeared as a defense attorney on Law & Order: SVU.  Frankly, I think her ship has sailed....

She was pretty good in that role.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 01:44:32 AM »

She was pretty good in that role.

I agree.  Unless she plans on making a movie like Godfather 2, sequels usually don't fare as well as the first movie.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 06:49:26 AM »

She should introduce a Coptic character in there just for fun. Uncle Gus vs Uncle Mina having a Chalcedon debate Tongue

laugh

But, seriously, let's not forget Rodney's secretary.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 06:52:45 AM »

My Big, Fat and Ugly OC.net Wedding.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 11:18:05 AM »

That would be a mess.

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »

That would be a mess.

we would need to revisit the 'annulment vs divorce' thread

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »

In the early years there was some kind of "Mr. oc.net" contest. Maybe we should have two similar contests today, with the winners required to marry. Who better to arrange a marriage than the level-headed folk of this forum?

angel

There are many foolish priests out there.
Sam G
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »

I've been trying to see the first one since looking into Orthodoxy. They won't put it on Netflix!

You'd learn more about Orthodoxy by attending the local Greek-fest.  If I remember (and it's been awhile) she marries a Lutheran, much to her father's dismay.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »

You'd learn more about Orthodoxy by attending the local Greek-fest.  If I remember (and it's been awhile) she marries a Lutheran, much to her father's dismay.

It's not even that she married a Lutheran...he was just not Greek!  Even when he gets baptized, the husband-to-be says to his fiancée, "I'm Greek now."

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 03:16:09 PM »

In the early years there was some kind of "Mr. oc.net" contest. Maybe we should have two similar contests today, with the winners required to marry. Who better to arrange a marriage than the level-headed folk of this forum?

angel

That is easily the most scary idea ever uttered on this forum. Vade retro.
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 09:14:29 PM »

I watched half of it last night on YouTube. Then three of the eight or so minute parts got deleted. I got up to where he is being baptised. Do they really baptise adults in a kiddy pool like that? I know the Orthodox do immersion. I also found the shirt of with the cousin-in-law to be rubbing on the oil a bit questionable. In any case I liked the movie so far, though I wonder if there are still Greeks like the father? I noticed, for example he wanted the guy to become Greek Orthodox as if his being Greek Orthodox is more important than his being Orthodox.

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
kelly
God save Ukraine and Russia
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: mysterious iniquitousness

Sts. Boris and Gleb

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »

angel

To quote our beloved Denise, "I'll take 'Really bad ideas' for $1000, Alex!"

Remove the plank of lust from your own eye and you will be able to clearly see the speck of backflesh through the buttonhole of another.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »

In any case I liked the movie so far, though I wonder if there are still Greeks like the father? I noticed, for example he wanted the guy to become Greek Orthodox as if his being Greek Orthodox is more important than his being Orthodox.

Yes.   Maybe not quite the same....since I don't talk Orthodoxy with this person.....but I have a coworker....who no joke, tells us 'thats a greek word'

and once, sent out an entire reply of maybe 5 paragraphs with all the greek based words in red....and all the 'the, an, a' and non greek junk words in black....just to prove his point

I don't talk Orthodoxy with him because one day he was telling someone something and said 'Helen, I think she found the cross'

and when I replied and said 'Yes that was her'

He quite grouchily said 'Well of course it is, its my history'

and thus not another word about Orthodoxy has passed my lips in his presence 

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 01:53:20 AM »

Do they really baptise adults in a kiddy pool like that?

No.

I also found the shirt of with the cousin-in-law to be rubbing on the oil a bit questionable.

It's not only questionable, but completely wrong. However, there is such a thing as artistic license.

In any case I liked the movie so far, though I wonder if there are still Greeks like the father? I noticed, for example he wanted the guy to become Greek Orthodox as if his being Greek Orthodox is more important than his being Orthodox.

There are indeed Greeks like that father. Unfortunately. I know quite a few of them. Russians and other Slavs can be much the same in having that mindset.  Tongue
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 02:15:21 AM »

I watched half of it last night on YouTube. Then three of the eight or so minute parts got deleted. I got up to where he is being baptised. Do they really baptise adults in a kiddy pool like that? I know the Orthodox do immersion. I also found the shirt of with the cousin-in-law to be rubbing on the oil a bit questionable. In any case I liked the movie so far, though I wonder if there are still Greeks like the father? I noticed, for example he wanted the guy to become Greek Orthodox as if his being Greek Orthodox is more important than his being Orthodox.

At the nearby Greek Orthodox (GOARCH), they do use a kiddy pool to baptize adults along with a pitcher of water that they splash over the catechumen, so the adults are not properly immersed. At the Antiochian Cathedral, they have a specially designed baptistry that will accommodate adults and allow them to be fully immersed.
The recently built St. Nectarios Shrine and Greek Orthodox Church in Covina, California also has a beautiful baptistry that allows adults to be completely immersed.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 06:03:20 AM »

Do they really baptise adults in a kiddy pool like that?

No.

I also found the shirt of with the cousin-in-law to be rubbing on the oil a bit questionable.

It's not only questionable, but completely wrong. However, there is such a thing as artistic license.

Good point. (Just consider Catholicism in Everybody Loves Raymond and many other shows and movies. Consider Carla on Cheers.)

wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »

Sadly when fathers act like that it is not so comedic with a happy ending as in the movie. I understand the desire to want to keep one's culture in the age of cultural Marxism or whatever you want to call it, where things like that are not valued, but as ubiquitous as it sounds, love is all that matters. Or rather love and if the beloved is of the same faith or is willing to convert. Not whether they are Greek or Russian or whatever. It can really cause disunity in a family, even eloping and the Romeo and Juliet style suicide in extreme cases.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »

Sadly when fathers act like that it is not so comedic with a happy ending as in the movie. I understand the desire to want to keep one's culture in the age of cultural Marxism or whatever you want to call it, where things like that are not valued, but as ubiquitous as it sounds, love is all that matters. Or rather love and if the beloved is of the same faith or is willing to convert. Not whether they are Greek or Russian or whatever. It can really cause disunity in a family, even eloping and the Romeo and Juliet style suicide in extreme cases.

As an American and thus bereft of a culture (and even poisoned with the new anti-culture), I'd disagree with you. What such fathers value is one of the most precious gifts, all the more precious for its being rapidly driven extinct in the world.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 08:47:48 PM »

As an American and thus bereft of a culture (and even poisoned with the new anti-culture), I'd disagree with you. What such fathers value is one of the most precious gifts, all the more precious for its being rapidly driven extinct in the world.

Oh, in many ways I agree with you and know what you mean by America being bereft of culture. That's the main problem I have with American nationalism or even getting to excited about American politics. I understand that there is a value in preserving say Greek culture, which could be eaten up by American culture, which is bereft of so much. So I can understand the father's wanting his daughter to marry only Greeks but what happens when the Greek daughter, being in America, meets some Anglo-Saxon white guy and falls in love, like say a guy at her parish? Is she to just forget about him and go find some Greek guy all for the sake of cultural purity? There's sometimes a thin line between pride of culture and xenophobia.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 10:23:09 PM »

Oh, in many ways I agree with you and know what you mean by America being bereft of culture. That's the main problem I have with American nationalism or even getting to excited about American politics. I understand that there is a value in preserving say Greek culture, which could be eaten up by American culture, which is bereft of so much. So I can understand the father's wanting his daughter to marry only Greeks but what happens when the Greek daughter, being in America, meets some Anglo-Saxon white guy and falls in love, like say a guy at her parish? Is she to just forget about him and go find some Greek guy all for the sake of cultural purity? There's sometimes a thin line between pride of culture and xenophobia.

You're forgetting fear of extinction.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 11:13:02 PM »

You're forgetting fear of extinction.

Very true.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: