OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 01:02:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you filed your taxes yet? (US residents)
yes - 8 (38.1%)
no - 13 (61.9%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you filed your taxes yet? (US residents)  (Read 1127 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: February 01, 2013, 01:24:04 AM »

Filed, sent, getting my refund Mon. How about you?

Proverbs 22:7
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:27:26 AM »

i'll do it last minute like everything i do.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:32:53 AM »

Because of a tax credit I'm getting, the IRS has decided not to process my return until mid-February/

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:50:14 AM »

Because of a tax credit I'm getting, the IRS has decided not to process my return until mid-February/
What tax credit is that?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:08:21 AM »

Yep.  My mom's an accountant and does them for me. Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:28:01 AM »

Filed, sent, getting my refund Mon. How about you?
Same here. TurboTax does wonders. Grin
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 02:55:07 AM »

What tax credit is that?

One of the education ones.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:42:08 AM »

How much do americans pay in taxes?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 07:44:16 AM »

In 2010, $949,000,000,000.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:36:09 AM »

Yes, I filed our taxes today. I hope to get the return before 2-10 since I need to buy some car seats while a 25% off sale is still ongoing.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »

Still waiting on a 1099-R for a disbursement from an annuity we have.  Hopefully we'll get it in the next couple of days, and I can begin the annual ritual of pulling out my hair trying to understand the forms and instructions.  My wife says I'm horrible to be around when doing taxes.   Embarrassed Embarrassed  I don't even like being around myself while doing them  Cool.

How good/complete are programs like TurboTax?  We can't really afford H and R Block, et. al.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »

Perhaps you can find an accountant to do them for you?  Individuals are cheaper than H&R Block, etc.

I plan on doing mine in the next couple of weeks. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:12:12 PM »

Perhaps you can find an accountant to do them for you?  Individuals are cheaper than H&R Block, etc.

I plan on doing mine in the next couple of weeks. 

I've always done them myself.  Pretty simple really--we don't itemize.  It's just that this year there's that new thingy I've got to deal with.  I hate to admit it but new crap associated with the IRS always intimidates me.  I'm fairly sure that with enough whiskey (just kidding), or rather PATIENCE, I'll manage to figure it out.  Got any experience with TurboTax, etc?  Are they worth the money, which is, I think, cheaper than H&R Block or an accountant?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »

I don't have Turbo Tax, but, know a number of folks at work who swear by it.

I believe an accountant would be cheaper....and a friend who does taxes would only be the price of a dinner.  Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »

Don't have my W2 yet.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »

My parents did them last week and didn't get any return because my dad screwed up and claimed too many dependents.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 05:54:01 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.

Really?  That's all?  Hey, if it's smarter than I am (which isn't difficult  Grin), it may just be worth it--if it knows what 1099-R is and what to do with it  Wink.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »

My parents did them last week and didn't get any return because my dad screwed up and claimed too many dependents.

Well, that sucks!!  Sorry to hear that.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.

Really?  That's all?  Hey, if it's smarter than I am (which isn't difficult  Grin), it may just be worth it--if it knows what 1099-R is and what to do with it  Wink.

I've seen someone actually use this...and it takes you step by step....almost fool proof....but, you need to know which tabs apply, etc.  For $30 I would say it's worth it!

—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 06:23:38 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.

I've seen someone actually use this...and it takes you step by step....almost fool proof....but, you need to know which tabs apply, etc.  For $30 I would say it's worth it!

Fool-proof, you say?  Well, I guess it might just work for me, then  Cheesy Cheesy!  I'll look into it.  Thanks!

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 06:25:43 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.

Yes, it knows the random forms. I just had to do a 1099-C and it wasn't any problem whatsoever.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 06:47:08 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.

Yes, it knows the random forms. I just had to do a 1099-C and it wasn't any problem whatsoever.

You guys are starting to convince me  Wink.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 07:03:51 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.

Are you using Turbotax from their website and e-filing?  My wife's a little paranoid about the whole security issue and who's seeing what and who can get access, etc.  Or, do you have a cd that you're using and everything just stays on your computer without going into cyberspace?

pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »

I always try to do them as quickly as possible.  I think this is a new record (meaning I've got more time to do absolutely nothing  Cheesy)

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.

I've seen someone actually use this...and it takes you step by step....almost fool proof....but, you need to know which tabs apply, etc.  For $30 I would say it's worth it!
Two things I like about TurboTax online:
1. If your federal tax filing is simple enough, they'll do it for free. (I think you still have to pay a fee for your state tax returns.)
2. Every year that I've filed online, I got my refund within the next 7-10 days. On average, filing via snail mail will get you your refund in double to triple the time.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:21:10 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.

Are you using Turbotax from their website and e-filing?  My wife's a little paranoid about the whole security issue and who's seeing what and who can get access, etc.  Or, do you have a cd that you're using and everything just stays on your computer without going into cyberspace?
Is filing online any less secure than filling out all the paperwork and dropping it physically into a mailbox that can be broken into or a mail distribution system that occasionally loses mail? Just think about how many people will handle your snail mail in transit from your hands to the IRS, and it can't be encrypted.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:32:15 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 07:25:01 PM »

It honestly seems like they just make it up in every case. They withheld like 15% of my pay last year for taxes and after I've done my taxes, my actual tax that I have to pay after everything is considered was only $5.

If I had a cow (semi-seriously) it would probably turn it to $0.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:31:40 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »

Still waiting on a 1099-R for a disbursement from an annuity we have.  Hopefully we'll get it in the next couple of days, and I can begin the annual ritual of pulling out my hair trying to understand the forms and instructions.  My wife says I'm horrible to be around when doing taxes.   Embarrassed Embarrassed  I don't even like being around myself while doing them  Cool.

How good/complete are programs like TurboTax?  We can't really afford H and R Block, et. al.

HR Block has a free one too. Better than TurboTax, they won't expect you to actually know or find some obscure code from last year that you need to complete this year's tax return (and after you've entered everything and realize there's no way in heck you are ever going to find that code again so you just wasted a bunch of time).
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »

What I love about Turbo tax is that all my information carries over each year. I really only have to enter a few numbers to have it done. We itemize our deductions, it takes me less than 1 hour to file taxes from start to finish. Your electronic signature is based upon your previous year's return. Since I have filed thru TT for years, it is a very easy process.
Nephi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 07:40:28 PM »

Yep.  My mom's an accountant and does them for me. Smiley
My mom does mine for me too, actually. She used to work for H&R Block. Cheesy

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.

You're old.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »

What I love about Turbo tax is that all my information carries over each year. I really only have to enter a few numbers to have it done. We itemize our deductions, it takes me less than 1 hour to file taxes from start to finish. Your electronic signature is based upon your previous year's return. Since I have filed thru TT for years, it is a very easy process.

They must have improved it. I used them once years ago, then went to use them again the next year and nothing was carried over and they wanted me to find the code I mentioned in my previous post. No way to get it again, it wasn't even in the files I saved from them.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »

I ordered TaxAct 2012 Ultimate Edition.  Will send payment for software via snail mail (no credit card).  Will file returns via snail mail as well (with refunds coming via snail mail rather than direct deposit).  

http://www.taxact.com

I've been using TaxAct since 2003.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:58:10 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »

HR Block has a free one too. Better than TurboTax, they won't expect you to actually know or find some obscure code from last year that you need to complete this year's tax return (and after you've entered everything and realize there's no way in heck you are ever going to find that code again so you just wasted a bunch of time).
Come to think of it, this is the first year since I started using TurboTax that I did NOT have to find that obscure code from last year, so I think they just got rid of your reason for complaint.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 07:51:53 PM »

Turbo tax is the way to go. It's fast and saves your info so next year it'll be even faster. I've used it for at least seven years. Electronic filing is nothing to be worried about.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »

The last 3 years my info has carried over. But I do pay to file, I don't use the free version.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »

Hey, thanks for all the feedback, everybody  Smiley!!!  Here's what I think I'll do.  Once I get the blasted 1099-R in the mail, I'll go through it all and try to do it myself.  If I start reaching for my head to pull out some hair, or if my wife thinks I'm getting more cantankerous than I usually am, I'll head for TurboTax!   Smiley

Please pray for me and, especially, long-suffering my wife  Wink!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 08:25:57 PM »

Turbotax is about $30.

You're old.

Yup.  And you're not.  Cool  God willing, one day you will be.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »

Yippeee!  Filed my Federal form today, using Free File Fillable Forms off the IRS website.  Turns out the 1099-R wasn't a problem--if I did it correctly, that is  Shocked.

It was a bit tedious and took some time, as you've got to type in all the info for all the forms you're filing.  But...it's FREE!

So, if I did it all correctly, I should be getting my refund in a week or two, hopefully.  And, if I didn't do it correctly, the IRS will fix it.  Ain't the IRS wunnerful  Grin Grin?

Will do the state forms maybe tomorrow.

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »

I got my federal and state refunds today by direct deposit.

Proverbs 22:7
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »

not yet. just got the rest of my 1099's today. i pay quarterly since every penny i make is through independent contract work. (music & music lessons)

mine are a pain because I have to add up every receipt ive saved throughout the year plus add up all my car mileage. after i do that, i take it to a CPA and pay him $200 to do it all for me. its way too much of a headache for me to even want to deal with. and he usually saves me $200 more somehow that I wouldnt have figured out myself, so it evens out.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »

Still waiting on my other W2, they said it was going to mail out on Jan 28th... I won't hold my breath.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »

Well, I've got to amend my previous post  Roll Eyes.  After "filing" with Free File..., I got a notice that the return wasn't accepted.  The reason given was some kind of weird code that I never did figure out.  Tried 2 more times with one or two "fixes", both of which were also rejected.  In total frustration and exasperation, I then filed both state and federal via TurboTax.  Wow!  They're great!!  Federal's been accepted, still waiting on state.  So far, I give it an A+ and it's worth the $$!  And sooooooooooo much easier!!

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 07:40:45 PM »

Just filed, via Turbo Tax online. Need a drink.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: