OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 10:43:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Mosque on the Prairie  (Read 411 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: February 03, 2013, 11:22:49 PM »

I know the show ended, and it is Canadian so it was mostly available online over here, but did anyone else ever watch Little Mosque on the Prairie?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:35:47 PM »

So much potential, such poor execution.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:36:27 PM »

Is this a joke? Fess up!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:47:37 PM »

Is this a joke? Fess up!
It's a real show.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/362933

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:07:55 AM »

I once wrote a short story called "Little House on the Freeway Median". (VERY short!)

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 12:12:26 AM »

Yeah, I watched the first two episodes and was so disappointed.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 02:05:27 AM »

I once wrote a short story called "Little House on the Freeway Median". (VERY short!)
Haha  laugh

In all seriousness, I saw the last episode about 10 months ago. Saw nearly all episodes.  The did a good job keeping the suspect about the relationship between Rayyan and Amaar going.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 03:39:12 AM »

They should have had an Orthodox priest instead of an Anglican one  Grin
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »

I'm not sure how long an Orthodox priest would have gotten away with renting his parish hall as a mosque.

Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »

I know the show ended, and it is Canadian so it was mostly available online over here, but did anyone else ever watch Little Mosque on the Prairie?

Yes! As a South Asian with Muslim relatives, I l enjoyed watching the cozy little show. But at some points it made absolutely no sense and was a little chessy at some points.   

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »

I'm not sure how long an Orthodox priest would have gotten away with renting his parish hall as a mosque.

Well, it is a TV show.
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »

They should have had an Orthodox priest instead of an Anglican one  Grin

Well, it is a TV show.
What about a new show idea, Little Synagogue on the Prairie (renamed slightly for new locations but still keeping similar name and theme). A Rabbi rents out a room at an Orthodox church, or an Orthodox church needs a new church while their building is rebuilt, Little Orthodox on the prairie...

oooh! Little Orthodox on the Palestine: A Palestinian church must find a new place to practice after an encounter between Hamas and the Israeli forces destroys their building. This small Orthodox church ends up using space in an Israeli Orthodox synagogue under the agreement that they do not proselytize the Jewish congregation. A few on each side blame the other. One episode reveals how the Orthodox approach evangelization. Several episodes reveal common traits between these two groups, but as God-worshippers and as members of humanity. Some episode reveals that friendship can exist between Christians and Muslims or even Jews and Muslims but also recognizes that there are those that simply want vengeance, violence, and absolutely no compromise (including both sides), but also that not all are like that. A few episodes reveal nuances of both sides of the conflict in Israel.  Meanwhile, Orthodox Christian practices and beliefs are spread out in the dialogue and adventures of the cast, and perhaps even OT scripture as it relates to Jews. The show can also have visitors from different places, of different backgrounds, etc. revealing that not all Middle Eastern people are Arab Muslims or Orthodox Jews. If a cast member needs to leave, you just have a suicide bomb. Instead of a Rayyan/Amaar romance building, initially shakey friendship builds between groups/individuals representing groups in some way. Instead of a "We're all the same" idea though, it ends with a respect for the life that God has given each on of us. I doubt it would last more than a season, but I think it would be cool.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:05:26 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 09:59:45 PM »

Haha  laugh

In all seriousness, I saw the last episode about 10 months ago. Saw nearly all episodes.  The did a good job keeping the suspect* about the relationship between Rayyan and Amaar going.
*Meant suspense, not suspect.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:00:40 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »

I heard there were talks for an American remake a while back. I think I'd be okay with that, just to give the premise another shot.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »

I heard there were talks for an American remake a while back. I think I'd be okay with that, just to give the premise another shot.
I can't imagine how it would be that different, except maybe not QUITE as small of a town.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 10:46:15 PM »

Different actors, different writers. Start off in a similar place, but take it in a bold and exciting direction.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: