OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 08:38:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is nostalgia harmful/bad?  (Read 994 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 01, 2013, 12:08:34 AM »

I hear this quite a bit, but curious as to why it can be harmful on someone.

I'll play some old video games to get nostalgic about it, some of them really can't hold up, but it takes me back to places in my youth where I was happy.

Is it a thing where you negatively look at everything in the present and things in the past seem brighter than they actually were?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:14:05 AM »

Who says nostalgia is bad? As I grow older I feel nostalgia for people, places things from my childhood and young adult years. Heck I was listening to Three Dog Night on my home form work tonight. I guess the danger is in not growing, learning or exploring and just wrapping yourself in the past.

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:19:25 AM »

I hear you on the last bit you wrote.

How is nostalgia defined here? Isn't it more than just being a state of being homesick?

The only potential issue I have is that I can be so caught up with nostalgia that it makes what I have now in a much dimmer light, eventhough I have it pretty good. The don't know what you have thing...

There are certain songs I cannot play whatsoever, it just invokes something deep inside of me, a longing for the ignorance of youth and those songs just stir up a lot of sadness because I feel like that innocence is gone. Or the carefree feeling I had when I was younger. But also these songs to me are reserved in a particular time and place when I remember being very happy.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:26:05 AM »

To be honest, I wouldn't know. I've never been so concerned with the past as I am with the future. I never really had a great time in my past to look back to. I find solace in fantasizing over my future because it is the one thing I could control.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:26:17 AM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 12:50:55 AM »

I hear you on the last bit you wrote.

How is nostalgia defined here? Isn't it more than just being a state of being homesick?

The only potential issue I have is that I can be so caught up with nostalgia that it makes what I have now in a much dimmer light, eventhough I have it pretty good. The don't know what you have thing...

There are certain songs I cannot play whatsoever, it just invokes something deep inside of me, a longing for the ignorance of youth and those songs just stir up a lot of sadness because I feel like that innocence is gone. Or the carefree feeling I had when I was younger. But also these songs to me are reserved in a particular time and place when I remember being very happy.

understood. After all, "A dragon lives forever, not so little boys.. Which btw, was actually written as a song for adults to evoke the feeling you're talking about. Even though we think of it as a kid's song.

Proverbs 22:7
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:33 AM »

I don't see the problem as long as it doesn't become obsessive. I really enjoy those moments of nostalgia when I get "taken back" to another time.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:26:55 AM »

I'll play some old video games to get nostalgic about it, some of them really can't hold up, but it takes me back to places in my youth where I was happy.

I do that too. A few days ago I installed an old game again, just for the nostalgia. Then again, most of my friendsdo that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:28:07 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 04:52:35 AM »

It isn't bad or harmful.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:58:17 AM »

I watch old cartoon series on YouTube.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »

Hey, my priest says we should be nostalgic about the fast, so, cant be too bad

SCREW BON JOVI!
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »

Anyone warning against nostalgia probably has more in mind than the occasional trip down "memory lane."

Some people live in the past and carry with them a nostalgia for past relationships, past experiences . . . to the point where their ability to live and serve God today is hampered.  Their emotions are bound up in the past which can cripple their ability to respond to the present path they must follow.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »

If you ever get a chance, watch the classic "Night Gallery" episode, "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar" (starring the late great +William Windom), for a good lesson in how nostalgia can keep you from seeing the good things (and people) in your life right now.

http://youtu.be/E4w6cPKDLzw
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:57:33 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »

Very Yogi Berraeseque...
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »

Very Yogi Berraeseque...

And true. People here are talking about sentimentality for an idealized past.

Not nostalgia as such.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »

People here are talking about sentimentality for an idealized past.
So what is it if it's not nostalgia?

Is this a bad thing?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 11:53:25 PM »

People here are talking about sentimentality for an idealized past.
So what is it if it's not nostalgia?

Is this a bad thing?

"Bad"? I am not sure how that word applies here. A quick and tired ramble . . .

The sentimentalizing of the often idealized past can have less than desired consequences: disappointment and dissatisfaction with the present.

This can take on the shape of a general belief one's best days are past.

Or worse:

That the WORLD used to be better and one might want to act in order to restore it to the past that never was (see all reactionary traditionalisms for examples).

Really, it is not something I understand on a personal level. I just don't get it. Although by many objective metrics my "life" was better at another time, I just don't relate to the past at all in the manner described above. And I feel a little sorry for those who do, especially if they are so young, which is a change I have witnessed in my own lifetime. Young people sentimentalizing their past and more interesting their past they have yet to have. (Young women before their weddings actually crafting the memories they hope to have later for example and wistfully discussing how they will look back on them. The examples are myriad and nearly daily anymore.)

Rather than the common suggestion that the late modern world or post modern world is full of differing and complex and irreconcilable narratives, I see (I didn't get a chance to chuckle at vamrat's thoughts on feminism but the same structure would apply there) a greater "integration" of life (or leveling down life to a few common denominators) as lived or in other words because the postmodern in the day to day is the excess of the modern and thus the attempt for everyone to collectively cling to some single truth, the notion of post / late modernity as being divergent must exist to allow a critical manner of furthering the distillation of daily life into the same.

Real nostalgia is something that undoes us (there are various qualities of nostalgia). The sorrowful remembrance of lost spouse. Out of nowhere, one is overcome with a pained longing for what can never be again. Never. It reveals the unique and irreducible quality of life. There is no cure for nostalgia. You can't go back home. To do so would smack of incredible violence to the persons or moments who are made fully present through their absence and obliterate the possibility for the re-presentation.

Wanting to escape your life today and return to some imagined better time, when you were probably trying to escape then as well, is meaningless and sorta boring but something than can be marketed to.

There is money to be had and anxiety to be relieved in sentimentality. Nostalgia lines the pocket books of no one and does nothing to relieve of our pain but compounds it and thus shows us what the sentimental attempts to cover up. No that moment will not happen again no matter how much we wish it could, cause if it could indeed be recreated at whim it would then no longer matter.

We are strange and contradictory creatures. We long for the singular to be relived at our disposal.

Or something like that.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 12:26:45 AM »

Is it bad to have old board games?

No.

Is it bad to think there was some super-awesome time when everyone was perfect?

Yes.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 12:35:22 AM »

Is it bad to have old board games?

No.

I didn't even get into the reduction of all persons to about the age of middle school children. But there is only enough time.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 01:06:14 AM »

Very Yogi Berraeseque...

Better cut that pizza into four pieces, 'cuz I ain't hungry enough to eat six.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: