OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 07:18:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Benedict XVI says lack of ‘faith’ could be used in marriage annulments  (Read 685 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 31, 2013, 08:25:35 AM »

I don't think this will lead to a decrease in annulments.

VATICAN CITY (RNS) Pope Benedict XVI has asked the Vatican’s highest appeals court to consider reviewing church rules on marriage annulments — a statement that may signal a change in tone more than a change in substance.

Speaking on Saturday (Jan. 26) to the members of the tribunal of the Roman Rota, Benedict said that “lack of faith” on the part of the spouses can affect the validity of a marriage.
The pope said he wanted to “draw attention to how such a lack may, although not necessarily, also hurt the goods of marriage,” since faith in God is “a very important element for living in mutual dedication and conjugal fidelity.”
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:26:49 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »

That doesn't sound right to me. People sometimes lose their faith but I can't see how that would make their marriages invalid??

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »

I am really unfamiliar with this, but I thought annulments were about something being wrong and a valid marriage never taking place to begin with? This sounds like it says something along the lines of: "A valid marriage took place, but someone left the faith, so now we'll retroactively declare the marriage invalid because of a change during the course of the marriage." Or is he talking about marriages that took place when one of the people lacked faith from the start? I read the article but didn't really understand where exactly this was coming from...
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »

I am really unfamiliar with this, but I thought annulments were about something being wrong and a valid marriage never taking place to begin with? This sounds like it says something along the lines of: "A valid marriage took place, but someone left the faith, so now we'll retroactively declare the marriage invalid because of a change during the course of the marriage." Or is he talking about marriages that took place when one of the people lacked faith from the start? I read the article but didn't really understand where exactly this was coming from...

The latter.

"Benedict said it was “particularly sad” to see people marry in the church out of tradition instead of a faith commitment only to subsequently find faith and remarry."

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:02:13 PM »

Ahh, thank you! I shouldn't have missed that Smiley
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »

I agree with the Pope.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:39:51 AM »

I agree with the Pope.

I don't and neither does St. Paul.

Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband.  But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife. But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy (1 Corinthians 7:10-14)

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 05:45:32 AM »

This does seem to directly contradict St. Paul, though less clearly so, perhaps, with the caveat:

"Benedict stressed he wasn’t suggesting an automatic link “between the lack of faith and the invalidity of marriage,” but seemed to equate a “lack of faith” with other justifications for an annulment."

Not that I'm a fan of the whole annulment business in RC.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:57:42 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 06:04:51 AM »

This is interesting, but the Roman Catholic Church has always had an odd view of marriage in a sense.  I have heard if a person does not marry in the Catholic Church, the Catholic Church does not recognize that marriage as legitimate.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:02 AM »

This is interesting, but the Roman Catholic Church has always had an odd view of marriage in a sense.  I have heard if a person does not marry in the Catholic Church, the Catholic Church does not recognize that marriage as legitimate.
I think that's only if the person is Catholic; if both persons are non-Catholic, then the marriage can be legitimate if not done in a church.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 07:24:04 AM »

I think that's only if the person is Catholic; if both persons are non-Catholic, then the marriage can be legitimate if not done in a church.
I think you are right.  So, I wonder if this could be one of the things he was speaking on, when one becomes Catholic and the other does not.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 07:26:46 AM »

This is interesting, but the Roman Catholic Church has always had an odd view of marriage in a sense.  I have heard if a person does not marry in the Catholic Church, the Catholic Church does not recognize that marriage as legitimate.
I think you are right.  So, I wonder if this could be one of the things he was speaking on, when one becomes Catholic and the other does not.
Possibly, but I think he was more focused on the state of both parties at the time of marriage.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:27:23 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »

Right; and even if they are Catholic, I believe it is possible to get the bishop's permission to have the wedding elsewhere.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 12:55:36 PM »

Korban.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »

I can't help thinking that everything seems to be in constant flux in present Catholicism. Yet another development of doctrine.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: