OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 08:02:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: to learn.......  (Read 4151 times) Average Rating: 0
Louisa

« on: January 09, 2005, 10:34:41 PM »

Hello, to one and all.

I am still RC but with many Orthodox leanings!  Only problem is:

how does one convert when there is no Orthodox Church anywhere within driving distance?

But I pray to hang out here to learn......

peace
louisa
BJohnD

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 03:08:12 PM »

Welcome! May God be with you on your journey!

My first thought is to ask where you are located, as there might be a parish or mission closer to you than you realize. Some, being very small, are kind of hard to find. I assume you've searched the web and the local phone book?

I live in a pretty large metropolitan area and was blessed to find a parish just 20 minutes from home (one of many O parishes in the area). However, I know that many other members of this forum make very long trips to church each week, some over 2 hours. 

BJohnD
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 03:24:32 PM »

Louisa,

Yes, welcome! As BJohnD mentioned, there are ways to search for a parish near you on the web...one website that may help you is www.oca.org - go to Parish Listings and search for your area. This, however, is only one juristiction of the Church as it is represented here in America, so if you have no luck there, I'm sure there are people here who can provide you links to the websites of the other juristictions so you can run a similar search there. Let us know if you come up with anything!

hmmmm...
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 03:47:35 PM »

Louisa, have you looked for a GOA parish?  They seem to be more places than any other jurisdiction. 
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 04:55:31 PM »

Just in case you haven't gotten around to it...

The Antiochian Archdiocese.
The Greek Archdiocese
The Serbian Archdiocese
Jerusalem Patriarch parishes in USA

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 12:45:51 AM »

Hi Louisa,

This is a searchable database of 10 Eastern Orthodox jurisdictions in America:

http://www.receive.org/index.php?submenu=50

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 01:28:57 AM »

You might also try posting messages on a couple of orthodox forums (w/o any personal info) asking about parishes in your part of the state to help locate small missions that are under the radar.

Proverbs 22:7
Louisa

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 11:01:21 PM »

Thanks for all your help.  Am checking out the sites, etc..........and continuing to learn!

peace
louisa
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 01:50:49 AM »

Thanks for all your help.  Am checking out the sites, etc..........and continuing to learn!

That is how I first learned about Orthodoxy, through reading up on the web and from there purchasing some books so that I had a "hard copy". Glad to hear that you are picking up more info through your research - you will find that you will never learn all there is to know about Orthodoxy, it's a life-long learning experience!  Smiley

May God bless you as you continue to grow in your faith.

In Christ,
Aaron
Kardia

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 03:44:08 PM »

Louisa:
After meeting someone who said they were an "ordained Orthodox priest", I tried to find out more about their church, but they acted like it was a secret society or something, lol!  Of course, it was not the True Church, apparently it was a congregation or denomination without authority, although they claimed apostolic succession from an RC bishop somewhere.  In my first attempts to find "Orthodoxy", I looked it up in the yellow pages, and couldn't find anything.  God knew my heart, and I saw a tiny Orthodox mission as I was driving somewhere.   There are at least five or six Orthodox communities in this area!  I found out the reason I didn't find it in the yellow pages; I was supposed to know to look up "Eastern" Orthodox!  After being given the actual name of the churches, I was able to look them up. I called one of them, told the secretary I had not been able to find them in the church section of the yellow pages.  She said, "Well, you should have looked under EASTERN Orthodoxy  Huh   !!!!   As though all of us out here in never never land, looking for the True Church are supposed to know "Eastern".  I didn't even know about Orthodoxy, other than some vague Bible-belt description as "Catholics that aren't under the pope."  Hmm, I guess if someone had never had almonds, and wanted to try some, they SHOULD know to look under "Jordan", hehe   Wink.
Louisa, I wouldn't be surprised if there is an Orthodox community closer than you think.  I look forward to hearing the results of your search Smiley  Finding the True Body of Christ has given me joy beyond description.
In Christ,
Kardia
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 03:50:53 PM »

This is good advice, Kardia.
Unfortunately the GOAA by directive must list under "Greek Orthodox" in the yellow pages; while all the other churches properly list under "Eastern Orthodox". Crazy Greeks...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 07:54:52 AM »

Unfortunately the GOAA by directive must list under "Greek Orthodox" in the yellow pages; while all the other churches properly list under "Eastern Orthodox". Crazy Greeks...

Aristokles,

Unfortunately. that only works if "GO" is offered as a listing option by the yellow page purveyors - and it isn't in many instances.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Tabby

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 03:01:46 PM »

First note I am not planning on entering the orthodox, but as I was reading....

I see some say that they have to drive two hours a week just to go to an eastern orthodox.

Then someone posted a link to find the nearest one.

Well I did it...and there is NO eastern orthodox in San diego (that is hard to believe)...however I then just left the "jurisdictions" blank...and to find out there is only five orthodox churches in San Diego

US Parish Search
 St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church Rev. Fr. John Kariotakis San Diego CA
St. George Serbian Orthodox Church V. Rev. Bozidar Draskovich San Diego CA
St. John of Kronstadt Russian Orthodox Church Rev. Fr. Ilia Marzev San Diego CA
St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church V. Rev. Fr. Hanna Sakkab San Diego CA
St. Nicholas Orthodox Church V. Rev. Fr. Paul Kasaty, Rector San Diego CA

I was just curious....why is there so little amount?

I would think there would be more than just five...and I noticed some are greek, serbian...etc...

I can find how many RCC there are here in SD and the number is way higher than five....even protostant churches out numbers the amount of orthodox.....

I have heard though some people dont even have an RCC in their town in order for them to get to one they would have to drive 4 hours away....is this like a shortage of priests?  Is this the reason?  I feel sorry for the ones who can not go to church because there isnt one near them...

"If only I could die because then I would not die" ~ St. John of the Cross

"God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son" (Jn 3;16) "Mary so loved us that she gave her only b
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 03:18:25 PM »

First, I would suggest that some churches are in and around the suburbs even if they are not technically listed as San Diego. A search on the receive site returns 157 churches in CA total.

Whether the ppl who founded the church were Greek, Serbian, or whatever, this doesn't change them from being "eastern orthodox."

There are fewer Orthodox churches in the US than Catholic churches or even many protestant denominations because there are fewer Orthodox! While Orthodoxy is the 2nd largest Church worldwide, news about it in America is just starting to get out. A city will generally only have between 5-10 Orthodox churches, maybe more if you're really lucky.

It's not a shortage of priests like it is in the RCC. There are more people attending seminary than ever before. It's a matter of monetary and human resources. In any given city, there might only be enough practicing Orthodox to fill 5 churches. Mission parishes are also not mentioned. The Church is growing by leaps and bounds, with huge numbers of converts, it's among the top fastest growing religions in the US. But generally there are enough churches to go around, except for those in areas that have unfortunately, not been exposed to Orthodoxy yet.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Rilian

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 03:27:37 PM »

Here in the Northeast we have a pretty high concentration of Orthodox churches relatively speaking, but even then Catholic and Protestant churches vastly outnumber us.  That is just a fact of the numbers.

There are some churches in SD County outside of the city limits.  There's a GOA church in El Cajon, a Serbian church in San Marcos, another GOA church in Cardiff (I think) and an OCA church in Poway.  There's also an Antiochian Mission in La Jolla, still within the city but apparently not listed.
Tabby

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 04:01:05 PM »

Here in the Northeast we have a pretty high concentration of Orthodox churches relatively speaking, but even then Catholic and Protestant churches vastly outnumber us. That is just a fact of the numbers.

There are some churches in SD County outside of the city limits. There's a GOA church in El Cajon, a Serbian church in San Marcos, another GOA church in Cardiff (I think) and an OCA church in Poway. There's also an Antiochian Mission in La Jolla, still within the city but apparently not listed.

Ok...yeah duh me...maybe I should have been more specific.  I am in the clairmont area..however it is in Sandiego...it is central area..

La Jolla is like five minutes away from me...maybe I should have put down like "clairmont" or for each "area" (which is STILL San Diego)...and by doing that I could problable get a much higher amount...I just think since this is a big city there would be more than just five...that blows my mind....

thanks

"God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son" (Jn 3;16) "Mary so loved us that she gave her only b
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 04:04:07 PM »

Except in Raleigh, where they are listed with Copts under "Eastern Orthodox" Smiley

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 04:12:35 PM »

Except in Raleigh, where they are listed with Copts under "Eastern Orthodox" Smiley

Anastasios

I will reserve any comment about your possible future home's spiritual state Grin

I AM surprised they don't have just 2 categories: Baptist and Everybody Else   Cheesy

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 04:28:51 PM »

I AM surprised they don't have just 2 categories: Baptist and Everybody Else Cheesy

Ha, ha--that's actually a fairly accurate assessment of the attitudes of folks in my neck of the woods here in north-west Georgia.  Cheesy

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Rilian

OC.net

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 04:53:04 PM »

Ok...yeah duh me...maybe I should have been more specific. I am in the clairmont area..however it is in Sandiego...it is central area..

La Jolla is like five minutes away from me...maybe I should have put down like "clairmont" or for each "area" (which is STILL San Diego)...and by doing that I could problable get a much higher amount...I just think since this is a big city there would be more than just five...that blows my mind....

thanks

There just aren't that many Orthodox people in this country.  I've heard anywhere from 1.5 to 3 million active church goers.  The two areas I've been to with the highest density of churches are here in the Northeast (I’m in Pennsylvania) due to immigration from Eastern Europe and in Alaska, where many native peoples became Orthodox when the area was reached by Russian missionaries.  I believe Orthodox Christians are still the single largest Christian group in Alaska.

The Serbian church your search turned up, St. George, is in Clairemont.  I seem to remember it’s off the road that goes up to the Costco.  You’ve probably seen the church from I-5, it’s at the top of a hill.  I don’t know if that congregation does their liturgy in Serbian, English or both.  The church in La Jolla is St. Anthony, and it is Antiochian.  They meet in the facilities of an Episcopal church right now it looks like from their web site.  All of their services are in English.  I mention those just in case you’re ever interested in visiting an Orthodox church to see what it’s like.
Tabby

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 05:16:13 PM »

There just aren't that many Orthodox people in this country. I've heard anywhere from 1.5 to 3 million active church goers. The two areas I've been to with the highest density of churches are here in the Northeast (I’m in Pennsylvania) due to immigration from Eastern Europe and in Alaska, where many native peoples became Orthodox when the area was reached by Russian missionaries. I believe Orthodox Christians are still the single largest Christian group in Alaska.

The Serbian church your search turned up, St. George, is in Clairemont. I seem to remember it’s off the road that goes up to the Costco. You’ve probably seen the church from I-5, it’s at the top of a hill. I don’t know if that congregation does their liturgy in Serbian, English or both. The church in La Jolla is St. Anthony, and it is Antiochian. They meet in the facilities of an Episcopal church right now it looks like from their web site. All of their services are in English. I mention those just in case you’re ever interested in visiting an Orthodox church to see what it’s like.

I know exactly what you are talking about the one by cosco...however I never known what kind of church it was though......

so there is more than I thought...

Linda

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005, 04:37:13 PM »

I'm having the same problem finding Orthodox parishes.  It seems like all I can find are the Greek Orthodox.  I do know of a Coptic church in my state, but I get the impression that there are probably other Orthodox churches.  Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology.  I'm RC and I'm intrigued by Orthodoxy, but still know very little about it.  I wanted to visit a few different churches and check it out.  Any help finding more is appreciated.  BTW I live in RI.  Thanks.
Linda

NULL
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 05:12:18 PM »

Here's some OCA parishes in RI

http://www.holydormition.com/holydormition/html/church_front.htm

http://www.oca.org/pages/directory/listing.asp?KEY=OCA-RO-WOMSJB

And the Greek

http://www.goarch.org/en/parishes/ParishSearch.asp?parish=&clergy=&city=&state=46&diocese=&SearchRadius=100&SearchZip=&btnSubmit.x=27&btnSubmit.y=13&searchResults=10

Antiochian too!
http://stmarypawtucket.org/

My guess is that that's a good start. If you talk to the ppl in the parishes, you'll probably find out about any more that may be flying under the radar.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Kardia

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2005, 03:52:05 AM »

"Eastern" is not a particular definition of Orthodoxy, as much as it has to do with the difference between "Western", which is Roman, and "Eastern" -- please correct me on this, you all that know more -- didn't it have to do with the schism?  Greek Orthodoxy is considered "Eastern Orthodoxy" -- it is listed that way here in the yellow pages. 

As far as "Eastern Orthodoxy" in San Diego area, I actually lived there for several years, and there is an Orthodox Church there in Chula Vista that sponsors a mission in Tijuana.  I'm pretty sure there is a good-sized Orthodox presence in San Diego.   Sorry for the mix-up on the "Eastern" comment.  I only was referring to how I found Orthodoxy here in Oklahoma.

We are working on getting "Orthodoxy" listed in the yellow pages, without the "Eastern" on it.  I don't think it has any particular meaning here in the U.S.A.  Here, the Greek, Russian, Antiochian, Antiochian mission, and Ukranian (I think that's right), are ALL listed under "Eastern Orthodoxy" in the yellow pages Smiley  I just meant that I looked up "Orthodoxy" and there was no such heading.  There was only a heading for "Eastern Orthodoxy".  If the "Eastern" is taken away, those people that are not familiar with the phrase will be able to find it easier when they look it up in the phone book.

Hope this helps!

Smiley  Kardia

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: