OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 07:16:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Penicillin Kickstart The Sexual Revolution?  (Read 903 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 30, 2013, 11:26:12 PM »

But a new study suggests that the sexual revolution began long before birth control gained popularity in the 1960s and 1970s. Instead, modern sexual mores may have arisen from another kind of prevention -- a cure for syphilis.
As World War II raged, the U.S. population, including soldiers, were dying of syphilis at an alarming rate. At the disease's peak in 1939, syphilis killed 20,000 people. An estimated 600,000 Americans were infected by the mid-1940s. War propaganda warned Americans that STDs wasted manpower -- eradicating syphilis among both the military and civilians became a priority.
A new analysis published in the January issue of the Archives of Sexual Behavior argues that curing syphilis contributed to riskier, nontraditional sexual behaviors. By combing through national statistics from the 1930s to the 1970s, Emory University economist Andrew Francis found that the era of modern sexuality began in the mid to late 1950s, not during the swinging '60s.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:11 AM »

Syphilis and gonorrhea are becoming antibiotic resistant at an alarming rate. And have I shared here how I think this is wonderful news?

Public health will get serious again once we realize everyone's health is a common good thus worthy of public health care to protect it.

Or we will just send people to penile colonies.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:22:09 AM »

Syphilis and gonorrhea are becoming antibiotic resistant at an alarming rate. And have I shared here how I think this is wonderful news?

Public health will get serious again once we realize everyone's health is a common good thus worthy of public health care to protect it.

I guess this is one more piece involved in the nearing "checkmate" we face... I'm quickly beginning to  understand why the scriptures tell us to flee to the wilderness.

I too have heard that these diseases were starting to resist many antibiotics very quickly.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:36:05 AM »

If it's a common good, then the public can dictate and proscribe behavior accordingly to safeguard the common health.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:42:12 AM »

If it's a common good, then the public can dictate and proscribe behavior accordingly to safeguard the common health.

Such as access to health care, especially preventive and continuity of care, which is a collection of behaviors.

See we are in agreement.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »

Such as access to health care, especially preventive and continuity of care, which is a collection of behaviors.

See we are in agreement.

I choose HERMIT.  Smiley

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 12:56:09 AM »

Is it just me, or have there been an abundance of threads about sex the last few days? Huh
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »

Is it just me, or have there been an abundance of threads about sex the last few days? Huh

No, it is not just you.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »

Dude, there's been an abundance of threads about sex for the last few years.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »

Seems to me that this whole board is virtually obsessed with sex and sexuality.  Methinks the board dost protest too much.

Peace.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 10:10:52 AM »

Seems to me that this whole board is virtually obsessed with sex and sexuality.  Methinks the board dost protest too much.

+1
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »

It's the pelvic position. It's what sexually stunted Protestants in America are obsessed with even if they call themselves Orthodox.

Sex, Homosexuality, and Abortion.

If it deals with the pelvis, unless it's Elvis, they're against it and can't sleep well until everyone else knows.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 01:52:14 PM »

I agree that it is a good thing, but disagree with your remedy.

Fear will regulate behavior.  More people need to die from proper, rot-your-face-off syph, not less.  People will either become more responsible...or else we can start sending miscreants to your penile colonies.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »

More people need to die from proper, rot-your-face-off syph, not less. 
are you being serious?

Peace.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 02:25:24 PM »

are you being serious?

Indeed, but only in the short term.  See, a few initial deaths often prevent greater numbers of fatalities later on.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 02:32:11 PM »

are you being serious?

Indeed, but only in the short term.  See, a few initial deaths often prevent greater numbers of fatalities later on.

Are you concerned about preventing death or are you encouraging sickness as a prevention of sin?

Peace.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »

are you being serious?

Are you concerned about preventing death or are you encouraging sickness as a prevention of sin?

In this case, one can do both simultaneously. 

Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »

As a retired health professional it appears there were at least two elements to this, rather than one. The introduction of antibiotics did give rise to an optimism in the general population and among health professionals that science was embarked on conquering disease, something we now know was over optimistic. This coupled, no pun intended, with the subsequent availability of the pill had a significant impact on choices and behaviour. But there were social factors too that saw a blossoming of the teenager, rather than that abrupt move from school to work, leading to an almost seamless move from child to adult.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 03:17:43 PM »

As a retired health professional it appears there were at least two elements to this, rather than one. The introduction of antibiotics did give rise to an optimism in the general population and among health professionals that science was embarked on conquering disease, something we now know was over optimistic. This coupled, no pun intended, with the subsequent availability of the pill had a significant impact on choices and behaviour. But there were social factors too that saw a blossoming of the teenager, rather than that abrupt move from school to work, leading to an almost seamless move from child to adult.

Very good point.  The prolonged childhood of the modern era has created a class of people with the rights and capabilities of an adult coupled with the absence of responsibilities of a child.  Thus a disease that used to be endemic amongst mercenaries has jumped over to the party-people of our era.

Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 03:19:15 PM »

are you being serious?

Or - and this is just a thought - you could just hope that people don't suffer physical ailment, period.  i dunno.

Peace.
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 04:00:06 PM »

An effective, honest and comprehensive health education programme aimed not just at the young but also silver haired adults who all too often think it won't happen to me. My concern is that is precisely what happened for the homosexual community but the level of 'unprotected sex' has crept back up.

One thing some may not be aware of is that couples do develop a degree of immunity in their relationship but this is immediately lost if a third individual becomes involved sexually. Sexual continence, not taking risks and practising 'safer sex' help. Note: there is no completely safe penetrative sex or where any body fluids are exchanged. Unless people grasp this and act appropriately they and anyone they have sex with stands a good chance of developing a STI that is not responsive to any of the antibiotics we have available. Even more alarming there are no new antibiotics in the pipeline. This is really scary and has implications for far more than those acquiring sexually transmitted infections.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:00:58 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »

are you being serious?

Or - and this is just a thought - you could just hope that people don't suffer physical ailment, period.  i dunno.

Where did I say that I hoped people would get syphilis?  (Don't dig too deep.  I'm sure I've wished it on someone at some point...)  Where in the last string of quotes have I wished it?

Quite the opposite, actually.  Let me tell you a story.

There once was this man.  He built a house and a well next to it.  Every morning he'd wake up, get out of bed, and then take a dump in his well.  You know, the one he used to get water to drink, and to wash himself with.  Well, one day he came down with dysentery.  His three friends come up to see how he's doing.  His first friend, named Mronohtro said, "Hey bro, I just beat up this working bloke and jacked his g-money.  Now you can go to the doctor!"  So homeboy goes to the sawbones and gets some antibiotics.  Well, a few months later he comes down with dysentery again.  His buddies come back.  His second friend, Stoor Peed said, "Yo dawg, I heard you like feeling good so I'm wishing you'd feel good, so you'll be feelin' good while I'm feelin' good about you feelin' good!"  Pretty much nothing happened.  As expected.  His third friend, Tarmav says, "Here's an idea: quit bricking in your water."

The other two friends were somewhat taken aback by this line of reasoning.  Mronohtro said, "Hey bro, I'm like, teh smart and dis is like elementary stuff [enigma, conundrum, mystery], and yeah, I's teh smarter den yoo."  Stoor Peed then says, "You is like, teh discompassionate.  You should be wishes him feelz da betterz."

Anyways, the homeboy with the whooping-poops marveled and said, "Wow!  I never knew I could just not plop in my drinking water.  I think I'll give this a try!  Thanks, Tarmav.  You're like super smart and totally not fat and I'm sure chicks everywhere totally dig you because you're awesome and smart and not fat at all!"

The moral of the story is, don't drink poopy water and you won't get dysentery (this is like Oregon Trail II wisdom).  Likewise, don't check the oil on a diseased skank and you might not ruin your dip stick.

Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »

Well, that was fun.

Peace.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:49 PM »

See we are in agreement.

This x100000000000000000000.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »

A friend of mine was fond of saying there were only two interesting topics for discussion--sex and religion.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »

I agree that it is a good thing, but disagree with your remedy.

Fear will regulate behavior.  More people need to die from proper, rot-your-face-off syph, not less.  People will either become more responsible...or else we can start sending miscreants to your penile colonies.
That's really bitter. I'm not gonna ask why.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »

vamrat likes to style his positions as worldly pragmatism. Well they ain't nothing but reactionary fantasies. Maybe, we'll get to the reasons behind them on the private board some day.

oc.net rather than being so much consumed with "sex" lately, is consumed with a near fever pitch hate of anyone who doesn't fall into the diminishing hegemony (this dissolution in itself is not revolutionary in any bit and likely to be a rather counter force to radical change). Again perhaps on the flip side.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:07:17 PM by orthonorm » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 07:11:29 PM »

See we are in agreement.
Hardly.  Working the CD unit, I saw a lot of people who had access to health care, and wasted a lot of it by refusal to change behavior. In many cases, e.g. TB, they served through such behavior as human petri dishes to concock strains to threaten the rest of us.

It doesn't mean cleaning you (generic reference) up every time you get the clap.  It means mandating you keep your pants on.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 07:28:27 PM »

Yeah, I know. The last few days have just been much worse than usual for this subject.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »

It's the pelvic position. It's what sexually stunted Protestants in America are obsessed with even if they call themselves Orthodox.

Sex, Homosexuality, and Abortion.

If it deals with the pelvis, unless it's Elvis, they're against it and can't sleep well until everyone else knows.
LMBO at the pelvis / Elvis bit.

So what else is puritanical that Americans do, besides all the sex stuff.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 01:06:03 AM »

vamrat likes to style his positions as worldly pragmatism. Well they ain't nothing but reactionary fantasies. Maybe, we'll get to the reasons behind them on the private board some day.

oc.net rather than being so much consumed with "sex" lately, is consumed with a near fever pitch hate of anyone who doesn't fall into the diminishing hegemony (this dissolution in itself is not revolutionary in any bit and likely to be a rather counter force to radical change). Again perhaps on the flip side.

Reactionary fantasies?  Lulz.

Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 06:44:29 AM »

Anyone able to translate this into English? The language has a Marxist flavour methinks.

The sexual drive is very powerful, much used by the advertising industry and seemingly leads to behaviour patterns which place those unwilling to change at grave risk. Medicine does not have the tools to endlessly cure those who recklessly pursue unhealthy lifestyles. This is not a moral, political or faith based observation but the medical reality that too many fail to get to grips with at their peril.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »

Anyone able to translate this into English? The language has a Marxist flavour methinks.

The sexual drive is very powerful, much used by the advertising industry and seemingly leads to behaviour patterns which place those unwilling to change at grave risk. Medicine does not have the tools to endlessly cure those who recklessly pursue unhealthy lifestyles. This is not a moral, political or faith based observation but the medical reality that too many fail to get to grips with at their peril.

If you want to know about public health don't ask a physician.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »

Yeah, I know. The last few days have just been much worse than usual for this subject.

It all depends on what you focus on.  This particular topic also has many sociological and medical aspects that affect people.  Sex may be the main source of transmission of this particular contagion, but it is only one facet of the discussion.  The effects of the French disease go far beyond the bedroom. 

If there is some upswing in sexual discussions, I haven't noticed it.  I expect sex to consume at least a quarter of our thoughts, more so when food, shelter, and drinking water are in abundance.  But I don't go out looking for the sexual aspect of every conversation.  But then, I get enough sex talk offline with friends...and from time to time with my priest....

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »

And by "few years" you mean 10.5. Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: