OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 07:12:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are men tempted even after death?  (Read 174 times) Average Rating: 0
dhinuus
Elder

« on: February 08, 2013, 03:25:10 AM »

In the Epistle to the Hebrews 4:15 we read:
For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.

The keyword that I am looking at is 'was'. I am interpreting this as He was tempted in all points while He was on earth. Now that He has conquered death and Satan by His death and resurrection; He is no longer tempted even though he is still fully man (just like us) while being fully God as well. Or is He still being tempted ? but always overcoming that temptation and not sinning.  

So does this mean; that we after our physical death will not be tempted any longer?  In Hebrews 3:14 when we read:
For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end
Does the end mean our physical death or does it mean the Second Coming of Christ?  

My question is if we have been steadfast in our faith till our physical death is there still a possibility of falling into temptation and loosing our faith ?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:28:15 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:26:23 AM »

I guess we'll only have to wait and see

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:19:58 AM »

It doesn't appear correct to say that the Lord, our High Priest, was tempted like we are tempted. There was nothing Satan could grab, since He was and is sinless. And, having utterly defeated Satan, sin, and death, and coming again to finish them off--and they know it, I hardly think they are a problem for Him, if they ever were, which I don't think they were.

As for us, no, this life is the period of testing and temptation, wherein we make our choice. The saints are no longer bothered by demons, but rather cause them problems. See what St. John, the Apostle of Love, does to them in the live of St. Andrew the Fool for Christ (Oct. 2).

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: