OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 06:05:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Experiencing the Holy Spirit  (Read 529 times) Average Rating: 0
AustralianDiaspora

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« on: January 30, 2013, 08:04:44 PM »

Forgive me if this has been asked before, though I couldn't find a topic for it, but I was wondering how Christians experience the Holy Spirit? That is, do you experience a feeling of connectedness towards God, or a feeling of joy when attending church or reading the Bible or praying, or something else?
The reason I ask is that I have had experiences which I interpreted as being from God yet knowing how the faith I was raised in (mormonism) corrupts Christianity, I am doubting myself . . .

thank you in advance  angel

I can no longer cope with the misogynism, bigotry, homophobia and racism here and I have given up this forum. Lord have mercy.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »

I am going to go ahead and just say it doesn't involve grown men and women running around in circles and hopping and going "baboaidfvsoiv bablenmfbovaefv blafigajfoviaofibao  aoadifbaodifjbaodifjboadifjboa"

AustralianDiaspora

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:08:50 PM »

I feel as though I should know what you're referring to . . . but I have no idea? lol!

I can no longer cope with the misogynism, bigotry, homophobia and racism here and I have given up this forum. Lord have mercy.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »

I feel as though I should know what you're referring to . . . but I have no idea? lol!

Please watch this video on the art of speaking tongues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsn_OEgby_c
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:12:27 PM by username! » Logged

AustralianDiaspora

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:13:52 PM »

It's blasphemy. All of it!
 Cheesy

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »

I believe it was St. Symeon the New Theologian who spoke of feeling a warmth and conscious awareness of the Holy Spirit residing in us, with tears also being present. I've never felt that myself, but that's one possible answer. I think a more common one is just a sense of peace and tranquility or safety, though not to the point of complacency. Sort of that feeling you get on a warm spring or summer day when the temperature is perfect out, and you just feel like saying "Ahhhhh" in happiness, and you don't want the feeling to ever stop. Or, um, something like that. I rarely feel that either.  Undecided Smiley
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:14:29 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »

Forgive me if this has been asked before, though I couldn't find a topic for it, but I was wondering how Christians experience the Holy Spirit? That is, do you experience a feeling of connectedness towards God, or a feeling of joy when attending church or reading the Bible or praying, or something else?
The reason I ask is that I have had experiences which I interpreted as being from God yet knowing how the faith I was raised in (mormonism) corrupts Christianity, I am doubting myself . . .

In answer to your first questions, yes and yes - as well as in many other ways.  Don't let your experiences in your former Church get you down.  The Holy Spirit works on man in all religions, and those that say otherwise are simply mistaken.  It is not the Spirit's fault if those men reject Him and continue in their heresy.  It is His action upon me when I was a Lutheran that led me to the Orthodox Church.  For that I am thankful and not doubting.  If you ever get a chance to read about the Sikh Sundar Singh, who hated the Christian God, you will see how the Holy Spirit can work even on the hearts of a pagan and lead him to Christ.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »

As far as I know it's not really something people discuss a lot, it's usually a private matter with the priest because he will likely understand the person and what is going on, or maybe they don't know exactly because some things are just a mystery, but a seasoned priest should be able to guide you through the territory.  There are states of prelest or plani, or spiritual delusion.  Tito Colliander covers this very well in his little book The Way of the Ascetics. 

Maybe discuss every great once in awhile with someone who is long practiced and very pious, but it's not casual conversation.  Probably not a good thing to dwell on. 

But then St. Seraphim said something to the effect of "if you acquire the Holy Spirit, and thousand people around you will be saved" or maybe variously it is translated "acquire the spirit of peace..."  Maybe someone who reads Russian can clarify.

Orthodox they say, have "bright sorrow". 
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:33:14 PM »

The reason I ask is that I have had experiences....
Are you referring to experiences of the burning heart within?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 01:46:52 AM »

We receive the Holy Spirit through our Chrismation which comes right after Baptism. We experience the Holy Spirit through our our deification as we try to live a godly life.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
AustralianDiaspora

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 04:21:51 AM »

Maybe?? I am not entirely sure what this is beyond the verse.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 08:12:31 AM »

Maybe?? I am not entirely sure what this is beyond the verse.
The most recent Ancient Faith Today episode on Mormonism and Orthodoxy, had a guest (who is now Orthodox) who said she felt the some sort of warmth in her heart when she was a Mormon, and (if I understood her correctly) she said that that was a genuine, godly experience. I presume she meant that God gave her that experience as a Mormon, as preparation for her becoming Orthodox, or simply to show that He is indeed real.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 09:05:16 AM »

Please watch this video on the art of speaking tongues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsn_OEgby_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBpw2oQrvMM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCcGaTRwG_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWeUNoR30_0

Please watch these video and see how demonic is for such type of 'worship'.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:07:27 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »

The most recent Ancient Faith Today episode on Mormonism and Orthodoxy, had a guest (who is now Orthodox) who said she felt the some sort of warmth in her heart when she was a Mormon, and (if I understood her correctly) she said that that was a genuine, godly experience. I presume she meant that God gave her that experience as a Mormon, as preparation for her becoming Orthodox, or simply to show that He is indeed real.
The "warmth" sensation in often called "burning in the bosom."

I believe the guest on that show meant she had the experience in response to Mormonism, and had thought it to be from God. It's most often, among investigators like the guest, the result of prayer to determine truth of the Book of Mormon.

Moroni's Promise: "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. " Moroni 10:4

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »

I think that each person has a different experience, because we are all individuals.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »

I believe the guest on that show meant she had the experience in response to Mormonism, and had thought it to be from God. It's most often, among investigators like the guest, the result of prayer to determine truth of the Book of Mormon.

Moroni's Promise: "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. " Moroni 10:4
She described her experience (starting at 7:00): "I also did the prayer and it was not heartburn, it was genuinely the 'burning in the bosom', it was a genuine spiritual experience."

It's a bit unclear whether she now thinks the experience was not from God, or whether she now thinks that it was from God (though not a result of the correctness of Mormon theology, but rather in spite of it).

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
AustralianDiaspora

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »

"In answer to our prayers, the Holy Ghost will teach us through our feelings and thoughts... Heavenly Father will answer their prayers, typically through feelings of their hearts and thoughts in their minds."
Is there a comparable belief in Orthodoxy? Of receiving answers to questions asked through emotions/thoughts?

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »

She described her experience (starting at 7:00): "I also did the prayer and it was not heartburn, it was genuinely the 'burning in the bosom', it was a genuine spiritual experience."

It's a bit unclear whether she now thinks the experience was not from God, or whether she now thinks that it was from God (though not a result of the correctness of Mormon theology, but rather in spite of it).

You're right, she doesn't make it clear. I didn't remember her comments well enough.

If she still accepts it as genuine in spite of it as you said, it is unusual compared to most ex-Mormon accounts I've seen. Maybe it has something to do with her unusual situation as a non-member believer.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »

You're right, she doesn't make it clear. I didn't remember her comments well enough.

If she still accepts it as genuine in spite of it as you said, it is unusual compared to most ex-Mormon accounts I've seen. Maybe it has something to do with her unusual situation as a non-member believer.
True, she never actually became LDS, officially.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: holy spirit,  
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: