OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:58:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you believe that the acount of genesis in the Old testament should be taken literally?
Yes - 53 (15.7%)
No - 129 (38.2%)
both metaphorically and literally - 156 (46.2%)
Total Voters: 338

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creationism, Evolution, and Orthodoxy  (Read 333275 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4815 on: January 23, 2013, 11:24:16 PM »

Change 1,267.

Roll Eyes. It's very analogous to the concept of a dialect continuum in Linguistics. Just like there's no clear line when one language ends and another begins; there's no real clear line where one species begins and another ends.

Come on!!! We all know all languages were born in Babel :-P...that's when the Latin, English, French, Spanish, Portoguese, and Italians originated from!!!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:25:49 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4816 on: January 23, 2013, 11:52:23 PM »

Change 1,267.

Roll Eyes. It's very analogous to the concept of a dialect continuum in Linguistics. Just like there's no clear line when one language ends and another begins; there's no real clear line where one species begins and another ends.

Come on!!! We all know all languages were born in Babel :-P...that's when the Latin, English, French, Spanish, Portoguese, and Italians originated from!!!
The next language I plan to learn is Latin American.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4817 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31:08 AM »

Change 1,267.

But if you told me ancient Celts spoke modern Japanese, then later told me (after being shown the error) they actually spoke Spanish, I'm still going to have my doubts.  Excuses are neat and all, just don't expect me to believe them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:33:36 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Android_Rewster
Raving fanatic of Jesus Christ

Faith: Not a Protsetant anymore

I need you so much closer

« Reply #4818 on: January 24, 2013, 02:05:48 AM »

Regardless, it seems logical that microevolution is a true thing, but as for macroevolution ill leave that to science which is always postulating yet as more data comes in it changes. Leave science to science and souls to the church.

That's certainly a respectable belief, although I would like to note that macro-evolution is basically micro-evolution but over a longer period of time. Smiley

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but macro-evolution means that the changes are so profound that a new species arises from a different one.  Time has nothing to do with it.  Microevolution just makes the same species adaptable to the changing conditions or a new environment without changing the species itself.  So if you take the Human Journey where people moved from Africa to all corners of the world, you will see that there are differences in feature according to where the humans eventually settled.  But at the end of it all of them are still the same species.
If you were to look at Microevolution say a couple thousand years after a species begins, and then look at the original specimen more like 2 or 3 million years later, there likely would have been so many micro changes and adaptations that you probably wouldn't recognize the species the way it was anymore.

But like someone else pointed out, there's no real definite line between when you leave on species and join another.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #4819 on: January 24, 2013, 02:25:57 AM »

Regardless, it seems logical that microevolution is a true thing, but as for macroevolution ill leave that to science which is always postulating yet as more data comes in it changes. Leave science to science and souls to the church.

That's certainly a respectable belief, although I would like to note that macro-evolution is basically micro-evolution but over a longer period of time. Smiley
prove it. Wink
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:27:00 AM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4820 on: January 24, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »

"[U.S.] House Resolution 41: Expressing support for designation of February 12, 2013, as Darwin Day and recognizing the importance of science in the betterment of humanity.

Introduced: Jan 22, 2013 (113th Congress, 2013–2015)
Sponsor: Representative Rush Holt [Democrat-New Jersey 12]
PROGNOSIS
0% chance of getting past committee.
0% chance of being agreed to."
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:32:51 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

« Reply #4821 on: January 24, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »

"[U.S.] House Resolution 41: Expressing support for designation of February 12, 2013, as Darwin Day and recognizing the importance of science in the betterment of humanity.

PROGNOSIS
Terrible idea!

Why single out Darwin as a celebration to science?  Very provocative and uncalled for.

(I find it hilarious...my very own Congressman from my district is the one who put this through...

...actually scratch that...I'm district 4...woops...I used to live in district 12)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:54:10 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4822 on: January 24, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »

PROGNOSIS
Terrible idea!

Why single out Darwin as a celebration to science?  Very provocative and uncalled for.

(I find it hilarious...my very own Congressman from my district is the one who put this through)
It's more a congressional recognition/celebration of Darwin's birthday (12 February), which is already celebrated as "Darwin Day" across the U.S. and in many churches on the preceding or succeeding Sunday.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 01:56:06 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4823 on: January 24, 2013, 10:46:44 PM »

How did Adam and Eve communicate with God ?. Did they literally see him as we see each other ? Was he able to be touched ? Did they see the whole Holy Trinity when God walked with them in the Garden or was it it the Pre-incarnate Christ the Word of God walking and communicate with them as per we do??.

any idea?

Thanks
Android_Rewster

« Reply #4824 on: January 25, 2013, 02:09:54 AM »

How did Adam and Eve communicate with God ?. Did they literally see him as we see each other ? Was he able to be touched ? Did they see the whole Holy Trinity when God walked with them in the Garden or was it it the Pre-incarnate Christ the Word of God walking and communicate with them as per we do??.

any idea?

Thanks
I don't think the Bible particularly specifies on it, but I like to think that they could hear and feel his spirit. Smiley
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #4825 on: January 26, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »

There is no absolute proof of evolution.

Three main points of conjecture:

1: evolution has never been witnessed.

2: Science is constantly trying to prove the theory of evolution with the theory that life self generated is a pool of amino acids and proteins by complete chance....so far all experiments to attempt to manufacture a self replicating DNA based Molecule have come to no result. there is some evidence supporting RNA based molecules though. Also if successful this would pose an interesting paradox about creation..being Science created a self replicating molecule...it did not create itself as theory of evolution works.

3: Fossil record is incomplete, yes sure we share similar bone structures to other animals etc.. but there is no defined developmental line of slight mutation per generation to warrant it being evidence for the time being, but it is getting stronger.

Now I am not even saying Evolution is incorrect. I'm being very open minded.

In fact, I think if you were to ask Richard Dawkins (the prince of evolution) he would say similar and he has:

Dawkins stated that "evolution has been observed. It's just that it hasn't been observed while it's happening." He added that "it is rather like a detective coming on a murder after the scene... the detective hasn't actually seen the murder take place, of course. But what you do see is a massive clue ... Huge quantities of circumstantial evidence. It might as well be spelled out in words of English."

Circumstantial for the moment.

Remember I am answering the question at hand....."Absolute Proof?"

There is no absolute proof.

And evolution does not conflict with the bible. I don;t care if God made the world in 1 day or 6. The point is that if he put trees here, her also included rings in the trees. And if he put people here, he also included a NATURAL reverse path back to the beginning of time. This is so we can make sense of the world, and so people can choose faith.

We are here, and there will always be this debate. It is God's way of ensuring that people choose Him through faith and not by proof or lack there of. The last thing that any Christian should want is proof of God or the destruction of evolution because proof of God would destroy faith and the entire purpose of being here in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:27:52 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4826 on: January 26, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »

And there is no absolute proof of God either.

What's your point?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #4827 on: January 26, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »

What's your point?

I wrote my point, proof of God would destroy faith and the entire purpose of being here in the first place. There is no need for proof, only faith. Stop trying to analyze everything, "take eat, this is My body."

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4828 on: January 26, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »

any idea?

Thanks
I think they vocally communicated.  As far as visually, I am not certain, but I imagine God presented himself in some way as He did in the OT. 
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4829 on: January 26, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »

I just realized evolution is a lot like Sola Scriptura. 

“The bible is true because the bible says it is true.”

“Evolution is true because evolution says it is true.” 
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4830 on: January 26, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »

What's your point?

I wrote my point, proof of God would destroy faith and the entire purpose of being here in the first place. There is no need for proof, only faith. Stop trying to analyze everything, "take eat, this is My body."

Agreed, with one tiny exception.  I think God will provide the individual with enough "proof" to provide faith.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #4831 on: January 26, 2013, 09:24:57 PM »

Ummm, yeah, right... Just the same!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4832 on: January 26, 2013, 09:49:09 PM »

I wrote my point, proof of God would destroy faith and the entire purpose of being here in the first place.

ROFL

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #4833 on: January 26, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »

You proved to me I know nothing about detective work by the way I was describing it.  Many of us see the same misrepresentation here with evolution.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4834 on: January 26, 2013, 10:05:59 PM »

Or, more accurately:

"Biological evolution by means of natural selection explains more about the diversity of life than any other scientific explanation we know about."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4835 on: January 26, 2013, 10:07:16 PM »

You proved to me I know nothing about detective work by the way I was describing it.  Many of us see the same misrepresentation here with evolution.

You don't have to agree with my observation, but you shouldn’t say there aren’t similarities between how the two are represented.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4836 on: January 26, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »

Ummm, yeah, right... Just the same!

I looked again to ensure I didn’t say this and wouldn’t you know it, I didn’t.  What I did say was they are "a lot alike” in how they present themselves, and they are.
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #4837 on: January 26, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »

You don't have to agree with my observation, but you shouldn’t say there aren’t similarities between how the two are represented.

But isn't it obvious that despite my personal observations of your line of work, that doesn't change the truth of what you do, which you know I misrepresented?

I think you should consider the same courtesy with evolution.  Evolution is proven by scientific testing and observation of many things in nature around us, the micro and macro scopic.  It's like proving the truth of the Bible, by proving the testing of our faith, living the practical examples of the godliness present in the Bible. For by the workd's observance of our actions, they should know the truth of our faith.

Likewise in observing population rates of change, anatomical studies, fossil records, genetics, etc., evolution becomes all the more evidently true.

So the idea that you use evolution to prove evolution is not what I have studied and experienced.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:41:45 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4838 on: January 28, 2013, 03:25:59 PM »

Interview: Michael Ruse on Evolution, Creationism, and Religion
DA: It seems that you are in an odd position. You state that you are a non-believer who nevertheless argues that Darwinism and Christianity are compatible. Because of this you have made enemies of atheists and creationists alike. Could you explain why you think that Darwinism and Christianity are compatible, and where the tensions might lie?

Michael Ruse: I see nothing in Darwinism that should upset the Christian, although I fully admit that the Christian is going to have to work hard on some issues. Obviously you cannot be a Darwinian and believe in a totally literal interpretation of Genesis. However, at least since the time of St. Augustine around 400 A.D. it has been the Christian position that one can and indeed must interpret the Bible metaphorically at times. So I don’t think that literal readings are necessarily part of traditional Christianity, even though they are certainly part of American evangelical Christianity.

Of course, there are certain issues which come up from Darwinism which seem to give great worries for the Christian....

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
FlickFlack
Moderated

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern

Twinkle Twinkle little star

« Reply #4839 on: January 28, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »

Evolution is a progressive scientific thesis in the discovery of how biological mechanisms function.

I think the only incompatibility between the current Traditional Christian theory and the Evolutionist one is the argument of death. Traditional Christianity asserts that death has not always existed in nature(at least at humans) but it was brought in through the first Sin. Evolution says that death always existed. Otherwise I believe it can be fully reconciled.

Right here, right now.
Android_Rewster

« Reply #4840 on: January 28, 2013, 05:35:37 PM »

Evolution is a progressive scientific thesis in the discovery of how biological mechanisms function.

I think the only incompatibility between the current Traditional Christian theory and the Evolutionist one is the argument of death. Traditional Christianity asserts that death has not always existed in nature(at least at humans) but it was brought in through the first Sin. Evolution says that death always existed. Otherwise I believe it can be fully reconciled.
I think the explanation for that would be the Orthodox definition of death. We actually consider death to be separation from God, and the earthly death used in the process of natural selection is what we call "sleep". That's why Adam and Eve didn't die(earthly) when they ate the apple, they died(spiritually).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:36:20 PM by Android_Rewster » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4841 on: January 28, 2013, 05:48:15 PM »

I have a real zinger here, but I think I must wait to use it in the private forum.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FlickFlack
Moderated

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern

Twinkle Twinkle little star

« Reply #4842 on: January 28, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »

I think the explanation for that would be the Orthodox definition of death. We actually consider death to be separation from God, and the earthly death used in the process of natural selection is what we call "sleep". That's why Adam and Eve didn't die(earthly) when they ate the apple, they died(spiritually).

Yes, but don't the canons say that Adam and Eve were not created mortals?

Right here, right now.
Android_Rewster

« Reply #4843 on: January 29, 2013, 01:04:06 AM »

Yes, but don't the canons say that Adam and Eve were not created mortals?
I wouldn't know -- I haven't studied a lot of the canons due to having a busy schedule. Could you give a citation?

Anyways, somebody earlier said they thought that God chose two separate humans to become Adam and Eve, and he breathed into them. I cannot offer a proper explanation, and I'm sorry for that. I simply know that the Bible tells the truth and(as far as I know) the facts say that we evolved, so there must be something metaphorical that would allow two completely true counts to exist without contradicting.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4844 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18:30 AM »

Interview: Michael Ruse on Evolution, Creationism, and Religion
DA: It seems that you are in an odd position. You state that you are a non-believer who nevertheless argues that Darwinism and Christianity are compatible. Because of this you have made enemies of atheists and creationists alike. Could you explain why you think that Darwinism and Christianity are compatible, and where the tensions might lie?

Michael Ruse: I see nothing in Darwinism that should upset the Christian, although I fully admit that the Christian is going to have to work hard on some issues. Obviously you cannot be a Darwinian and believe in a totally literal interpretation of Genesis. However, at least since the time of St. Augustine around 400 A.D. it has been the Christian position that one can and indeed must interpret the Bible metaphorically at times. So I don’t think that literal readings are necessarily part of traditional Christianity, even though they are certainly part of American evangelical Christianity.

Of course, there are certain issues which come up from Darwinism which seem to give great worries for the Christian....

I don't know. Why not believe in both? The world is full of contradictions.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Pericles

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« Reply #4845 on: February 10, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »

Why would Christians want to believe the Jewish Creation myth of the Tanakh? You might as well believe in the account in Hesiod! The creation account for Christians is found in the Gospel of John.

Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit.
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #4846 on: February 10, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »

Why would Christians want to believe the Jewish Creation myth of the Tanakh? You might as well believe in the account in Hesiod! The creation account for Christians is found in the Gospel of John.

I think the ridicule made here is uncalled for.  We do not pin up the Gospel of John against Genesis, but fulfills it.

Pericles

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Archdiocese of Thyateira & Great Britain.

« Reply #4847 on: February 10, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »

We do not pin up the Gospel of John against Genesis, but fulfills it.

Genesis is mythology, the Gospel is truth.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:43:01 PM by Pericles » Logged

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #4848 on: February 10, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »

Genesis is truth, the Gospel is fulfillment.

Pericles

« Reply #4849 on: February 10, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »

Genesis is not fact.

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #4850 on: February 10, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »

Genesis is not fact.

It doesn't have to be 100% fact, but it's 100% truth.

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #4851 on: February 10, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »

Genesis is not fact.

It doesn't have to be 100% fact, but it's 100% truth.
Indeed, in that it is 100% revelation.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #4852 on: February 10, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »

I hope Pericles you understand that the books of the Old Testament must be held in high regard and great reverence.  Even if some passages are hard to be taken literally, I don't dismiss it as "Jewish Mythology" as if it lacks truth.  There is a great deal of respect and reverence one should still have for these writings.  Don't fall into the Marcion trap that we would pin the New Testament against the Old.

The NT is light that shines on the OT and reveals from within it the hidden Truth of Christ that was obscured before.  NT is the hand that ripped open the veil of the OT, that we may behold its true and deep glory.  Therefore, the tone by which one talks about the OT must be no different than how one handles the cup that holds the blood of Christ and the paten that holds the Body.  Just because the Eucharist is more important does not lessen the importance of what holds the elements of the Eucharist.  OT is sacred enough that you should be able to talk about it without insulting it as if it's the same as any other myth.  God was revealed through the Tanakh, and so we should honor the Tanakh and not dismiss it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:43:15 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Pericles

« Reply #4853 on: February 10, 2013, 05:06:06 PM »

I hope Pericles you understand that the books of the Old Testament must be held in high regard and great reverence.  Even if some passages are hard to be taken literally, I don't dismiss it as "Jewish Mythology" as if it lacks truth.  There is a great deal of respect and reverence one should still have for these writings.  Don't fall into the Marcion trap that we would pin the New Testament against the Old.

The NT is light that shines on the OT and reveals from within it the hidden Truth of Christ that was obscured before.  NT is the hand that ripped open the veil of the OT, that we may behold its true and deep glory.  Therefore, the tone by which one talks about the OT must be no different than how one handles the cup that holds the blood of Christ and the paten that holds the Body.  Just because the Eucharist is more important does not lessen the importance of what holds the elements of the Eucharist.  OT is sacred enough that you should be able to talk about it without insulting it as if it's the same as any other myth.  God was revealed through the Tanakh, and so we should honor the Tanakh and not dismiss it.
Well said! I do appreciate that and my calling Genesis mythology is meant in an academic sense and is not rhetorical. I understand mythology in its positive sense as a genra of sacred literature.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4854 on: February 10, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »

Well said! I do appreciate that and my calling Genesis mythology is meant in an academic sense and is not rhetorical. I understand mythology in its positive sense as a genra of sacred literature.
A lot of high falutin jargon that means little to the non-academic types that frequent this forum. Can you rephrase the above in terms the unlearned can understand?
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #4855 on: February 10, 2013, 07:03:29 PM »

The thing is Pericles you compared it earlier to the myths of Hesiod.  It's not so much your use of academia, but here in the forums, there is an Orthodox veneration of these books and stories, which understandably does not exist in academia.  Nevertheless, you need to be careful how you word things.  A paten to an outsider can be just a regular gold plate, but to us as Orthodox we don't just say, "we should just use any plate."  It was consecrated for a purpose and therefore given a certain amount of respect.

If you're going to talk about the OT in this forum, you need to be careful how you talk about it.

Pericles

« Reply #4856 on: February 11, 2013, 02:22:43 AM »

I hope Pericles you understand that the books of the Old Testament must be held in high regard and great reverence.  Even if some passages are hard to be taken literally, I don't dismiss it as "Jewish Mythology" as if it lacks truth.  There is a great deal of respect and reverence one should still have for these writings.  Don't fall into the Marcion trap that we would pin the New Testament against the Old.

The NT is light that shines on the OT and reveals from within it the hidden Truth of Christ that was obscured before.  NT is the hand that ripped open the veil of the OT, that we may behold its true and deep glory.  Therefore, the tone by which one talks about the OT must be no different than how one handles the cup that holds the blood of Christ and the paten that holds the Body.  Just because the Eucharist is more important does not lessen the importance of what holds the elements of the Eucharist.  OT is sacred enough that you should be able to talk about it without insulting it as if it's the same as any other myth.  God was revealed through the Tanakh, and so we should honor the Tanakh and not dismiss it.
The thing is Pericles you compared it earlier to the myths of Hesiod.  It's not so much your use of academia, but here in the forums, there is an Orthodox veneration of these books and stories, which understandably does not exist in academia.  Nevertheless, you need to be careful how you word things.  A paten to an outsider can be just a regular gold plate, but to us as Orthodox we don't just say, "we should just use any plate."  It was consecrated for a purpose and therefore given a certain amount of respect.

If you're going to talk about the OT in this forum, you need to be careful how you talk about it.
Fair enough the point is to surprise not to offend. My reference to Hesiod was for effect and I have great respect for the literary and religious culture of Hellenism, of which Christianity is a part. However while I respect Genesis as a Judaeo-Christian creation narrative, I personally wouldn't advise a literal reading of any more that I would suggest a literal reading of Hesiod. The literary genre that both authors composed in is the same and differs in that Hesiods Theogony is poetry whilst Genesis is prose.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:29:10 AM by Pericles » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4857 on: February 11, 2013, 03:03:36 AM »

That's nice.  Who wants a cashew?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4858 on: February 11, 2013, 03:05:34 AM »

Genesis is not fact.
Superior "academic" arrogance always attracts followers.  Usually people who don't think on their own, but followers nonetheless.
Pericles

« Reply #4859 on: February 11, 2013, 03:07:09 AM »

Genesis is not fact.
Superior "academic" arrogance always attracts followers.  Usually people who don't think on their own, but followers nonetheless.
Well give it up then!

Tags: science Theory of Evolution evolution creationism cheval mort 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: