OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 08:18:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you believe that the acount of genesis in the Old testament should be taken literally?
Yes - 54 (15.7%)
No - 133 (38.6%)
both metaphorically and literally - 158 (45.8%)
Total Voters: 345

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creationism, Evolution, and Orthodoxy  (Read 343114 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #450 on: March 31, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »

I'm not disagreeing with him on the issue of mutations. I disagree with the idea that over millions of years such a thing must turn a lizard into a feathered bird.

This is pure speculation. If it wasn't I would believe it.

It would be speculation if we only used homologous structures (although technically it wasn't just "mere" speculation if homologous structures were indeed used).  But when studying DNA and chromosomal processes and mutations, one is surprised that Darwin's "speculations" are quite insightful (since this does not only provide a "what evolved from what" question, but "how" as well).

As for deriving a lot from basics, from my own experience, the more I learn, the more I'm surprised I don't know.

I'll recommend this website for you:

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-evolution.html

They pretty much offer a rebuttal to practically everything that has been thrown against evolution.

God bless.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:47:03 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #451 on: March 31, 2008, 03:16:41 PM »

I believe in facts not myths. If you want me to believein Macro-evolution then I will have to see it (observe it) in nature and in the lab. Until then it's a no go.

Or we could simply, making the assumption of common ancestry, compare genomes of various species, make predictions, and have those predictions validated in the lab. This has been done as a paper from Nature I've already referenced in this thread demonstrates. If common ancestry is an inaccurage assumption, how do you explain the success of the predictions one can make by assuming it in that paper?

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #452 on: April 01, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »

It would be speculation if we only used homologous structures (although technically it wasn't just "mere" speculation if homologous structures were indeed used).  But when studying DNA and chromosomal processes and mutations, one is surprised that Darwin's "speculations" are quite insightful (since this does not only provide a "what evolved from what" question, but "how" as well).

As for deriving a lot from basics, from my own experience, the more I learn, the more I'm surprised I don't know.

I'll recommend this website for you:

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-evolution.html

They pretty much offer a rebuttal to practically everything that has been thrown against evolution.

God bless.

I'll try to answer this in the fall or next spring. I have to much on my plate right now. I will also ask other creationists(the ones that reject Macro) about this issue. The International Creation conference is in August. They have it once every 5 years..... so I will ask some of them.

JNORM888

P.S. having rebuttals to creationist criticisms doesn't really bother us. Every group and belief system has rebuttals, but that doesn't mean that their rebuttals are "sufficient". Especially if the foundation of one's interpretation is based soley on a naturalistic understanding of everything. And this is what it really comes down to. This war has been going on for over a hundred years.

I may not have an alternative interpretation to all of the evidence, but just because an alternative understanding isn't formulated doesn't mean the evidence is rejected.

All it means is that it is put on hold. Until a proper interpretation is formulated.

But I will come back to this issue later.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 11:04:20 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #453 on: April 01, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »

It is interesting how creationists spend all of their time trying to disprove science and yet their task becomes more and more difficult with each passing year. On the other hand, science effectively ignores creationism and with each passing year the case of science becomes stronger and stronger.

But, in the end, at least we're unlocking the mysteries of life and, well, I guess you guys are having a good time thinking what good people you are and how evil we are. So, everyone wins. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

« Reply #454 on: April 01, 2008, 01:30:08 PM »

P.S. having rebuttals to creationist criticisms doesn't really bother us. Every group and belief system has rebuttals, but that doesn't mean that their rebuttals are "sufficient". Especially if the foundation of one's interpretation is based soley on a naturalistic understanding of everything. And this is what it really comes down to. This war has been going on for over a hundred years.

Science is naturalistic by nature.  We observe and record what we see.  Science is not a theology/philosophy course.

I'm afraid the only reason for the alleged "insufficiency" of these explanations is because you might have already made up your mind.

My only wish is that you consider the arguments with humility.  Like I said before, the more I learned, the more I realized I don't know.

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #455 on: April 01, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »

Sorry to be bringing up something from nearly 2 months ago, but I read at the page before this about salt in the oceans and seas.  One interesting point is that when seas dry out, the salt and minerals are left on the bottom.  Even if/when water returns, they don't just dissolve back.  A classic case is that of the Mediterranean Sea which has large deposits of salts and minerals that could only be laid down by evaporation when that area was cut off from any other large bodies of water some millions of years ago.  Yes, rivers still ran into it, like the Rhone and the Nile, but that wasn't enough to fill it by any means, instead they cut channels and canyons as they went down.  I recommend "The Mediterranean was a Desert: a Voyage on the Glomar Challenger" by Kenneth J. Hsu for anyone interested in geology.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #456 on: April 02, 2008, 09:33:10 AM »

Science is naturalistic by nature.  We observe and record what we see.  Science is not a theology/philosophy course.

I'm afraid the only reason for the alleged "insufficiency" of these explanations is because you might have already made up your mind.

My only wish is that you consider the arguments with humility.  Like I said before, the more I learned, the more I realized I don't know.

God bless.

The "meaning" or definition of the word science slightly changes over the centuries. Before Darwin went to those ISLAND's......it was understood that Creation went hand in hand with science. It was understood that science was nothing more than the study of God's creation. And even Darwin....in one of his edition's to the Origin of Species advocated that his view didn't have to erase God from the picture. He advocated a form of Theistic evolution.

This really all goes back to the christianization of the philosophy of Aristotle. This goes back to western scholasticism. Modern science has it's roots in western christianity......it has it's roots in the christianization of the philosophy of Aristotle.

But I will deal with the history of this in the fall. What most chreationists want to do is bring back the school of thought that dominated in the 18 hundreds. The school of thought of Darwin's teachers.

Yes we have to mold it....just like Darwinism was molded into neoDarwinism, but we want the world to know that a strict adherence to "methodological naturalism" wasn't always the case. Methodological naturalism and God's Providence can co-exist in a union just like the two natures of Christ.

Mainstream science wasn't always like the way it is today. And if we have our way....it won't be the same in the future.

The day the otherside stops twisting creationism is the day both sides will come to the table in humility. You already assume that they are correct in everything they say. You only want us to be absorbed by their Atheism.

No, both sides must humble themselves and look at what the other is saying. But until then we will continue to push and pray so that we will have the same freedoms and rights that they have in the mainstream.

I will deal with this in the fall or next summer, and hopefully it will be fruitfull for both sides.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:47:34 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #457 on: April 02, 2008, 09:55:30 AM »

So, basically, creationism stopped being popular about the time it was realized that leaches really aren't a miracle cure? Should we go back to using leaches to treat bacterial infections, slavery, child labour, and all the other glories of the age of creationism?

livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #458 on: April 02, 2008, 09:58:14 AM »

I love it, its lent and GIC still can't pass up an opportunity to label and make fun of people!

But, in the end, at least we're unlocking the mysteries of life and, well, I guess you guys are having a good time thinking what good people you are and how evil we are. So, everyone wins. Wink
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:58:28 AM by livefreeordie » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #459 on: April 02, 2008, 10:00:36 AM »

I love it, its lent and GIC still can't pass up an opportunity to label and make fun of people!

And what, exactly, in my posts gave you the impression that I take lent seriously? Wink

livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #460 on: April 02, 2008, 10:07:59 AM »

Nothing, but I don't understand why you take such pleasure in making of fun people during a time when most people on this board are trying to take Lent seriously. It's one thing to use this board as an exercise in pulling other people into the black hole of your loss of faith. Most of the time it's probably a good thing as you bring up questions that people do struggle with. But it's another thing to do it during lent when people are trying to concentrate on spiritual things, and especially when you so relish making fun of people.

And what, exactly, in my posts gave you the impression that I take lent seriously? Wink
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #461 on: April 02, 2008, 10:11:14 AM »

It is interesting how creationists spend all of their time trying to disprove science and yet their task becomes more and more difficult with each passing year.

I disagree. I think most of the American courts have sympathy with our cause. They just want things to be done right. They would like some of the defendants to be more informed and they would also like some of the top creationists to help the defendants in these situations.

It is only a matter of time before we go back to court. And each time we do we will become more and more resistant to the arguments & claims of the otherside. It is only a matter of time before we take over.

On the other hand, science effectively ignores creationism and with each passing year the case of science becomes stronger and stronger.

The Atheists and Agnostics who rule over the scientific community ignores us because if they engage us it will cost them their dominance. The public, U.S. government, and the World will know that we do have valid criticisms.

No....the Atheists and Agnostics who rule are nothing more than POPES. They are ruling like despots. They are acting like Tyrants and that movie (expelled) will show the World how they treat those who criticize Darwinism.

But, in the end, at least we're unlocking the mysteries of life and, well,

45% of the modern scientific community are creationists. So the unlocking of mysteries are done by both sides.

I guess you guys are having a good time thinking what good people you are and how evil we are. So, everyone wins. Wink

If you don't believe in Social Darwinism then you shouldn't put yourself in that category. And Atheists who are socially good are only good because of the christian culture. Once this culture dies out then they will have no legs to stand on. They will have no restraint in doing acts of evil.

Who was the scientist that invented "lobotomies"? What that man did to alot of people was evil. And in the future alot of evil will be done in the name of science.

Science needs a moral philosophy.....and christianity(Eastern Orthodoxy) has the best moral philosophical system.

GIC, I just want you to know that just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I hate you. Or dislike you. I do like you. I just know that those who reject "my form" of creationism have no motivation to tell the otherside of the story. The only ones who have an interest in telling the otherside are those on the otherside.

To know both sides is to limit/regulate the bias. But I will come back to this in the fall.....Lord willing.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:26:58 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #462 on: April 02, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »

So, basically, creationism stopped being popular about the time it was realized that leaches really aren't a miracle cure? Should we go back to using leaches to treat bacterial infections, slavery, child labour, and all the other glories of the age of creationism?

I was talking about God's Providence as being the philosophical foundation along with "Methological naturalism". The form of Creationism that dominated in that era believed in something called "The God of the Gaps".

They had a tendency to believe in "It was done by either God or Nature".

I believe that was an error that went to one extreme, but I also believe that the Agnostic and later Atheistic take over went to the other extreme....of limiting everything to Natural causes.  This speculation is a child of the "enlightenment movement". Therefore it should be subject to criticism.

There were alot of good things tought by the creationists of the 18 hundreds.....so what I am saying is just like NeoDarwinism molded Darwinism....creationists should mold the creationism of the 18 hundreds.

To throw everything out is to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

What I want is a type of neocreationism that embraces both "God's Providence" as well as "methological naturalism".
And unlike the old...which had an Either or modal. the modal I'm fighting for is a "Both and" system.

God created everything first, and after that it was a type of synergy.

This is what I'm fighting for. And I am not really against "Macro". I do see it as being a "possibility". What I am against is seeing it as being a "scientific DOGMA".

by the way. Christianity helped get rid of both British, North & South American slavery as well as the British/Chinese Opium trade.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:57:27 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #463 on: April 02, 2008, 06:03:34 PM »

This really all goes back to the christianization of the philosophy of Aristotle. This goes back to western scholasticism. Modern science has it's roots in western christianity......it has it's roots in the christianization of the philosophy of Aristotle.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand the whole "Western Aristotelian Scholastic" bull crap that Eastern Orthodox always throw at the Catholics, but if objective scientific observations as we understand it today came from that, well I applaud them.  If there's one good thing we can learn from the West, it's exactly mainstream science today.

In order to avoid duplication of arguments, could you please seek out the  many discussions we've had? You see, we've been over this topic....ummm, well, quite a few times here at OC.net.  I am expecting Heorhij to enter the picture any second with a reasoned refutation of your remarks, so I will try and save him the trouble....

Scientific theories cannot, by their very nature, either include or exclude God.  It is not within the realm of how science works to incorporate or not incorporate an element of the divine.  Unfortunately, people who are otherwise very competent scientists seem to be incompetent enough in other areas of life that they arrogantly assume, (along with some theologians who should know better) that science has all the answers for any metaphysical  questions that might trouble humanity.  Other theologians who should know better (and many who are simply incompetent and incapable of knowing better) oppose these scientists and apostate(?) theologians, replaying the scene that has been played on the Western stage of civilisation since at least the time of Galileo and probably earlier.  The Western Church, by agreeing to counter "science" on its own playing field (ie, on terms defined by "science"), has condemned itself to losing the war, since only "scientific" criteria of "proof" can be accepted as evidence.  And we all know that if anything isn't rational, it must by definition be irrational, don't we? Wink  After all, we live in the post-Enlightenment West.  Of course, I shouldn't just cite the West and leave out the East, because the whole world is now so under the thraal of Western categories of "normalcy", that it doesn't know what has hit it.  It seems to me that a lot of Orthodox have this kind of knee-jerk reaction to the whole debate and side with "creationists".  It's like they're saying to themselves:  "hmmm.  Orthodoxy is "conservative", right?  Guess I'd better show my conseravative colours and stand up for "creationism"!"  (Of course, Orthodoxy is neither conservative nor liberal, but the living faith of the apostles...but this is a discussion for another thread.) 

BTW, I'd like to pre-empt a bashing from GIC or lubeltri or whoever else who would like to accuse me of being anti-Enlightenment or anti-Western.  I actually think that a lot of good things came out of the Enlightenment.  I really value science, in fact I am a scientist of sorts, though of a much humbler variety than Heorhij.  I don't mean to say that science cannot enter the realm of the metaphysical at times; in fact, fascinating work being done in physics right is going in this direction, and it's mind boggling.  But in the field of evolution?  For now, at any rate, there is no mixture at all.

I am a convinced Orthodox Christian.  I am also a convinced believer in evolution.  Are there things that we don't understand fully?  Absolutely, on both the theological and scientific end of things.  Just because evolution appears to be random is no reason at all to deny God's hand in things.  (How spiritually childish and oafishly cataphatic can one be?  This points to  one reason of several why I personally find this debate so tiresome.)  What appears as being "random" to us limited human creatures indeed hides greater mysteries beyond our understanding.

In other words, instead of saying "God is responsible for your cancer, since he created all things" or "There is no God, cancer just happens because...," we say "Cancer is a process caused by genetic issues in a cell that causes uncontrolled cell division."  There is no assumption of philosophical or theistic beliefs because it can't make it.  What you are arguing is a philosophical/moral issue.  This is kept out of science classes, and rightfully so.  If scholasticism has something to do with it, then thank God for scholasticism on this regard.

And how is one "twisting" creationism?  What is so scientific about creationism?  If it's merely preserving in literal terms a few chapters of Genesis, then that is not science at all, but conforming to one's Bibliolatry beliefs and at worst a tyranny of scientific objectivity.

I also question how you got the figure that 45% of the "scientific community" believes in creationism.  Do these scientists consist of qualified people in the field of biology?  How do this 45% define "creationism."  If half scientific community believes in God, that does not mean they will teach God in the classroom.  They'll do so if they are approached or asked privately, or at Church, but not in a public forum that requires objective understanding of biology.

God bless.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:04:18 PM by minasoliman » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #464 on: April 02, 2008, 07:28:14 PM »

I disagree. I think most of the American courts have sympathy with our cause. They just want things to be done right. They would like some of the defendants to be more informed and they would also like some of the top creationists to help the defendants in these situations.

It is only a matter of time before we go back to court. And each time we do we will become more and more resistant to the arguments & claims of the otherside. It is only a matter of time before we take over.

The American Courts tend to be political battlegrounds, I doubt they'll turn and support the creationists, but if they do it just represents a political swing to the right in this country. My statement, however, had nothing to do with the judicial system and everything to do with overwhelming scientific data. We don't do research into biology inorder to advance some political or philosophical cause, we do it for science, we do it for medicine, we do it for its own sake.

The Atheists and Agnostics who rule over the scientific community ignores us because if they engage us it will cost them their dominance. The public, U.S. government, and the World will know that we do have valid criticisms.

Considering 75% of Americans can't even find Israel on a map...I'd hardly trust public opinion on questions about genetics, molecular biology, and computational biology. The scientifc community are the ones who address this issue because they are the only ones even capable of doing so. Basically the divide is that those who know biology are evolutionists and those who have no clue about the science are creationists. Personally, while I am no biologist, I know enough about the field to know that denying our evolutionary heritage is just absurd and unfathomable. I really just don't get it.

No....the Atheists and Agnostics who rule are nothing more than POPES. They are ruling like despots. They are acting like Tyrants and that movie (expelled) will show the World how they treat those who criticize Darwinism.

They're probably frusterated, it's like sitting there, looking at a building with your own two eyes, seeing it as plain as day...while someone on the phone is insisting that it's not there and doesn't exist and then starts getting angry at you when you say, 'but I can see it'. The evidence for evolution is that strong...but it requires a moderate grasp of biology and mathematics to fully appreciate.

45% of the modern scientific community are creationists. So the unlocking of mysteries are done by both sides.

Source?

If you don't believe in Social Darwinism then you shouldn't put yourself in that category. And Atheists who are socially good are only good because of the christian culture. Once this culture dies out then they will have no legs to stand on. They will have no restraint in doing acts of evil.

May I recommend you brush up on Locke and read about the concept of social contract? Trust me, I don't kill and steal because I fear hell-fire, I don't. I don't do thes things because of the social contract I am in.

Who was the scientist that invented "lobotomies"? What that man did to alot of people was evil. And in the future alot of evil will be done in the name of science.

Well, that's more a technological procedure than science. There's nothing wrong with the scientific knowledge behind lobotomies, the problem was merely in the particular application of said scientific knowledge.

Science needs a moral philosophy.....and christianity(Eastern Orthodoxy) has the best moral philosophical system.

I disagree, science needs to be free of morality and cultural and social norms. It must be free to expand without limits. If this means a few messed up human clones, so be it...it's a price worth paying.

GIC, I just want you to know that just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I hate you. Or dislike you. I do like you. I just know that those who reject "my form" of creationism have no motivation to tell the otherside of the story. The only ones who have an interest in telling the otherside are those on the otherside.

Oh, I certainly hope we can have a discussion without turning to hate each other. If it makes any difference, there was a time when I was a creationist...of course, I understood nothing about biology then. But since I've studied the field the obvious truth of evolution became obvious, to the point where I now cannot really understand my past ignorance in the face of overwhelming truth.

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #465 on: April 02, 2008, 08:43:38 PM »

Unless you have some, as you call it.
overwhelming truth
To show us GIC. This is just a circular argument. Let it rest.  Cheesy
If it's for the sake of combating boredom, I understand. Continue on. Wink
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:46:57 PM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #466 on: April 02, 2008, 10:22:24 PM »

I disagree, science needs to be free of morality and cultural and social norms. It must be free to expand without limits. If this means a few messed up human clones, so be it...it's a price worth paying.

Oh yeah I forgot the end does justify the means! Cheesy

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #467 on: April 02, 2008, 11:14:14 PM »

Unless you have some, as you call it.To show us GIC. This is just a circular argument. Let it rest.  Cheesy
If it's for the sake of combating boredom, I understand. Continue on. Wink

But I'd have to try to teach him enough mathematics to get through analysis of algorithms and numerical analysis...so unless he at least has differential equations and linear algebra, it's a bit more work than I'm ready for. Plus, probably two semesters of biology, a semester of genetics, and a crash course in genomics. The problem with trying to tell someone why evolution is obvious is that it really takes about two to three years of background courses to understand the arguments. Which is why creationism is so popular amongst the ignorant masses, but not so much amongst biologists. I might as well try to prove Fermat's last theorem to a skeptic who could never manage to grasp something as basic as calculus. Without this fundamental knowledge, journal articles which prove my point (and which I have already posted here and have been completely ignored Roll Eyes) are pretty much useless.

So all things considered...rather than trying to teach wo years of college courses over OC.net, I think I'll just stick in the argument for the hell of it. Wink

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #468 on: April 02, 2008, 11:15:08 PM »

Oh yeah I forgot the end does justify the means! Cheesy

If the end is the advancement of scientific knowledge, then I believe that whole heartedly.

livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #469 on: April 02, 2008, 11:24:17 PM »

If the end is the advancement of scientific knowledge, then I believe that whole heartedly.

Isn't this the reasoning Nazi's used for doing experiments on pregnant women and children,etc., "the advancement of scientific knowledge?"
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #470 on: April 03, 2008, 01:31:28 AM »

Isn't this the reasoning Nazi's used for doing experiments on pregnant women and children,etc., "the advancement of scientific knowledge?"

Nah, there was some racist ideology mixed in. If scientific objectivity was their only concern they might have actually won the war. But with that said, we can't so easily dismiss the scientific advances made by the Nazis, our Jets and Rocketry were in large part based on their research. That's the wonderful thing about science, it's good and virtuous regardless of who made the discovery and how they came about it.

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #471 on: April 03, 2008, 01:25:18 PM »

So all things considered...rather than trying to teach wo years of college courses over OC.net, I think I'll just stick in the argument for the hell of it. Wink
You're something else. I'm Glad we have you on our side.  Wink

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #472 on: April 03, 2008, 02:48:58 PM »

But I'd have to try to teach him enough mathematics to get through analysis of algorithms and numerical analysis...so unless he at least has differential equations and linear algebra, it's a bit more work than I'm ready for. Plus, probably two semesters of biology, a semester of genetics, and a crash course in genomics. The problem with trying to tell someone why evolution is obvious is that it really takes about two to three years of background courses to understand the arguments. Which is why creationism is so popular amongst the ignorant masses, but not so much amongst biologists. I might as well try to prove Fermat's last theorem to a skeptic who could never manage to grasp something as basic as calculus. Without this fundamental knowledge, journal articles which prove my point (and which I have already posted here and have been completely ignored Roll Eyes) are pretty much useless.

I'll let this slide for I am a little rusty in math. It's been 6 years since I took Engineering Mathmatics 1, But I just want you to know that you are sounding more and more like that Richard Dawkin's rap song on Youtube.

"Richard Dawkins - Beware the Believers"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGgpGLxLQw

I didn't ignore what you said. I'm gonna ask others about it. I would like to come back to this issue and give you a responce after I attend this conference.

http://www.csfpittsburgh.org/

and out of the 45% only 5% are young earth creationists. The other 40 are either Old Earthers or Theistic evolutionists.

JNORM888
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:53:39 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #473 on: April 03, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »

You're something else. I'm Glad we have you on our side.  Wink

Who's we?
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #474 on: May 27, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »

This thread started here:  Death of Pets and Neanterthals.  Since the questions quoted below really deal with two different subjects--I couldn't split the post itself yet make sure Devin got credit for both halves--I ask that you limit your replies on this thread to discussion of the second question regarding Neanderthals.  Thank you.  -PtA

I was just wondering, I recently had  pet die (who was about 18 years old), and we buried his ashes next to my grandfather, but me and my parents don't believe animals have souls, thus we may not see them again. What is the traditional Orthodox belief on this, or what do you all believe?

Also, I was watching a program on the History Channel about 10,000 B.C. and the co-existance of Cromagnon (modern man) and Neanderthals on the continent of Europe for about 5,000 years. After being showed that the two have the same lineage (but split off at a time), I wondered, if Humans are the only ones with souls, would that have included Neanderthals?

There no such thing as neanderthals or cromagnom bible does't mention anything like that......from adam on no mention....my own personal opinion  the bone's that there finding are from the giants ...and what scriptures say..when the son's of God angels .,,looked upon the woman of the earth and mated with them a hybrid race naphilium[hope i spelled that correctly] appeared [giants] that God drowned ....the giant around the time of king david was the last of the hybrids....so they find a pieces of there bone's and create neandethals, cromagnom,who knows what else in the future......my 2 cent's worth...i believe God Has a special place For our Beloved pet's in his vast kingdom that has no end ....this i really believe......For God is God of the Living ..he creates life animal and human...and other plants trees and so forth....Christ Has Risen.....Rejoice......SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:36:30 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #475 on: May 27, 2008, 05:21:15 PM »

There no such thing as neanderthals or cromagnom bible does't mention anything like that......from adam on no mention....my own personal opinion  the bone's that there finding are from the giants ...and what scriptures say..when the son's of God angels .,,looked upon the woman of the earth and mated with them a hybrid race naphilium[hope i spelled that correctly] appeared [giants] that God drowned ....the giant around the time of king david was the last of the hybrids....so they find a pieces of there bone's and create neandethals, cromagnom,who knows what else in the future......my 2 cent's worth...i believe God Has a special place For our Beloved pet's in his vast kingdom that has no end ....this i really believe......For God is God of the Living ..he creates life animal and human...and other plants trees and so forth....Christ Has Risen.....Rejoice......

The correct spelling is Nephilim.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 05:22:32 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #476 on: May 27, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »

Thank You...SmileyCentral.com" border="0Christ has Risen,,,Rejoice...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #477 on: May 27, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »

There no such thing as neanderthals or cromagnom bible does't mention anything like that.
The Bible doesn't mention Nazis, either. I suppose, then, the Holocaust must never have occurred.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #478 on: May 27, 2008, 08:39:23 PM »

isn't nazis a organazation ,,neantherthals ,,cromagnom man are suppose to some type of pre- human races...im confused...i don't see the similarities....Hristos Voskrese....rejoice...SmileyCentral.com" border="0people have free will they reap what they sow thou the innocent seem to always get it..the good Book does say evil and violence will increase..the two world war's ,korea..vietnam and others..so the scripture's does cover all this and what's yet to come in the future...including the fire from heaven either God's doing or man's doing....nuclear or heavenly fire???the good Book does say this about the fire....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:25:13 PM by stashko » Logged

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #479 on: May 27, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »

^ You said that because the Bible never mentions homo sapiens neanderthalensis, that such a creature must never have existed. This is the fallacy of sola scriptura, the idea that all truth is contained in the Bible and therefore anything not mentioned in the Bible must of necessity be false. I pointed out that the Bible also does not mention Nazis and yet we know they existed and the evils they did. Therefore, there must be some truths which the Bible does not mention. It is quite possible that homo sapiens neanderthalensis existed despite their omission from the Bible.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #480 on: May 27, 2008, 09:04:49 PM »

I believe Giants/hybrids walked the earth as holy scriptures says and testifies too. the name's that Godless scientists gives to them it's fine with me....but a animal becoming human that ill never believe.....Christ Has Risen....rejoice....SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:15:15 PM by stashko » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #481 on: May 27, 2008, 09:52:01 PM »

I believe Giants/hybrids walked the earth as holy scriptures says and testifies too. the name's that Godless scientists gives to them it's fine with me....but a animal becoming human that ill never believe.....Christ Has Risen....rejoice....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Hybrid what exactly?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #482 on: May 27, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »

but a animal becoming human that ill never believe.
Nor will the "godless scientists."

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #483 on: May 27, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »

Hybrid what exactly?

reply#01 read.....stanislav...SmileyCentral.com" border="0

EDIT:  Reply # changed to reflect post numbering after recent thread split.  -PtA
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:44:24 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #484 on: May 27, 2008, 10:50:58 PM »

Nor will the "godless scientists."

How do these Godless scientists fit evolution in with biblical creation....they have to believe in one and hate the other..And im not talking about christian scientists....

Why is it so hard to accept what scriptures say's...don't you i we kiss the written word before the holy liturgy Begins ,,, as a confession that it's truly the inspired word of God....God's Breath......as i said in post reply# 1 my opinion...i think im entitled to it... ..SmileyCentral.com" border="0

EDIT:  Reply # changed to reflect post numbering after recent thread split.  -PtA
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:45:06 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #485 on: May 27, 2008, 11:05:51 PM »

How do these Godless scientists fit evolution in with biblical creation....they have to believe in one and not the other.
Belief in the Theory of Evolution does not necessitate rejection of the Bible any more than belief in the Theory of Gravity or Atomic Theory does. Nor does rejection of the Theory of Evolution free us from being subject to it any more than rejection of the Theory of Gravity or Atomic Theory. Populations evolve; physical objects are attracted to each other according to their respective masses; atoms make molecules, whose movement is responsible for the three (four?) states of matter. This we know to be true.

Science is merely our attempt at understanding God's creation. It is our best guess to date. We do not need science to understand God, but it helps. Putting science at odds with religion is a false dichotomy which is only going to make Christianity seem an anti-intellectual farce and will drive people to atheism or agnosticism. Christianity is the most reasonable faith there is: in fact, it is so reasonable that it transcends reason and shows us how to live as Christ lived, as Adam lived before the Fall, in perfect harmony with himself and all creation. That creation includes the human mind (psychology), the human species (anthropology), human society (sociology), animals (zoology), plants (botany), stars and planets (astronomy)--all of which move about (physics) and are illuminated in various ways (optics). But the one thing science cannot tell us is our spiritual condition. Thus science, which tells us about the physical world and our physical bodies, is joined with religion, which tells us about the spiritual world and our own soul and spirit, to give us a more complete understanding of who we are and who we can become in Christ.

I hope that helps to sort this out.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #486 on: May 27, 2008, 11:06:11 PM »

From what i've heard, all Orthodoxy says about God's creation of everything is that God did it, and he created everything out of nothing, and that is all that is basically required to be believed. From there, it doesn't matter if the person believes if he did it through evolution, or if the person believes he did it in the creationism sense.

Personally, I do not care how God did it, and it isn't any of my business to really know how he did it either.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #487 on: May 27, 2008, 11:11:04 PM »

How do these Godless scientists fit evolution in with biblical creation....they have to believe in one and hate the other..And im not talking about christian scientists....
And yet many scientists who are Christian (to distinguish them from the Christian Scientists, followers of the American heretic Mary Baker Eddy) do try to reconcile the clear empirical evidence for evolution with the biblical account of creation.

Why is it so hard to accept what scriptures say's...
Why is it so hard to accept what scientists are able to observe?

don't you i we kiss the written word before the holy liturgy Begins ,,, as a confession that it's tuly the inspired word of God....God's Breath......
Yet, what does it mean to believe that Scripture is the inspired Word of God?  Does it mean, as many Protestant Fundamentalists believe, that the Bible can be used as a science text and that its "scientific" statements are more reliable than modern scientific theories?

as i said in post reply# 1 my opinion...i think im entitled to it...
Yes, you certainly are entitled to be wrong if you want to be.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:45:25 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #488 on: May 27, 2008, 11:24:42 PM »

There no such thing as neanderthals or cromagnom bible does't mention anything like that......from adam on no mention....my own personal opinion  the bone's that there finding are from the giants ...and what scriptures say..when the son's of God angels .,,looked upon the woman of the earth and mated with them a hybrid race naphilium[hope i spelled that correctly] appeared [giants] that God drowned ....the giant around the time of king david was the last of the hybrids....so they find a pieces of there bone's and create neandethals, cromagnom,who knows what else in the future......my 2 cent's worth...i believe God Has a special place For our Beloved pet's in his vast kingdom that has no end ....this i really believe......For God is God of the Living ..he creates life animal and human...and other plants trees and so forth....Christ Has Risen.....Rejoice......SmileyCentral.com" border="0

If neanderthals and cro-magnon didn't exist, how does one explain their fossils? 

The passage you refer to is obscure at the very least. To quote the notes from the New Jerusalem Bible;
Later Judaism and almost all the earliest ecclesiastical writers identify the "sons of God" with fallen angels, but from the 4th century onwards, as the idea of angelic natures becomes less material, the Fathers commonly take the "sons of God" to be Seth's descendants and the "daughters of men" those of Cain.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #489 on: May 28, 2008, 12:31:16 AM »

And yet many scientists who are Christian (to distinguish them from the Christian Scientists, followers of the American heretic Mary Baker Eddy) do try to reconcile the clear empirical evidence for evolution with the biblical account of creation.
Why is it so hard to accept what scientists are able to observe?
Yet, what does it mean to believe that Scripture is the inspired Word of God?  Does it mean, as many Protestant Fundamentalists believe, that the Bible can be used as a science text and that its "scientific" statements are more reliable than modern scientific theories?
Yes, you certainly are entitled to be wrong if you want to be.
Brother..
Im.not against what science can achieve or discovey in God's creation..all wisdom comes from God....he reveals  to us his wisdom in his time....

Brother,, a example from Holy Scripture..tower of Babel when the people had one language the decided to build a tower to find God's dwelling place...God seeing there foolishness confounded there language knowing they weren't ready to explore outer space without suffocating ...If God chose to ignore them and allowed them to continue they would of found God but not in there body but in spirit thru suffication ...in time man succeeded to reach outers space and the moon ...Because God saw that man was ready for more wisdom.....some  scientist when they receive God's wisdom they go out of the way to deny God and all that they achieved was all there own doing ...like some evolutionist that say we come from apes or some thing or another......im all for science ..and all for it's discoveries as long as it doesn't deny God or his written word....Christ Has Risen ..Rejoice.....SmileyCentral.com" border="0

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #490 on: May 28, 2008, 12:51:22 AM »

If neanderthals and cro-magnon didn't exist, how does one explain their fossils? 

The passage you refer to is obscure at the very least. To quote the notes from the New Jerusalem Bible;
Later Judaism and almost all the earliest ecclesiastical writers identify the "sons of God" with fallen angels, but from the 4th century onwards, as the idea of angelic natures becomes less material, the Fathers commonly take the "sons of God" to be Seth's descendants and the "daughters of men" those of Cain.

Hybrid/giants  bones poabably mixed with apes by puting them together you can  come up with anything to look like anything.....on the sons of God that were fallen angels when they mated with human woman didn't they lose there heavenly glory and apperance also there offspring could of resembled the cro-magnom and neanderthal....the one that lived at the time of king david that david slew cursed God so much ,,that the giant knew that the God of Israel was true...again my opinon  only ....why did the woman have to cover there hair after that.......Christ Has Risen..SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:15:22 AM by stashko » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #491 on: May 28, 2008, 01:05:08 AM »

Hybrid/giants  bones poabably mixed with apes by puting them together you can  come up with anything to look like anything.....

Do you have any evidence to support such a theory?

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #492 on: May 28, 2008, 01:07:53 AM »

on the sons of God that were fallen angels when they mated with human woman didn't they lose there heavenly glory and apperance also there offspring could of resembled the cro-magnom and neanderthal....the one that lived at the time of king david that david slew cursed God so much ,,that the giant knew that the God of Israel was true...agian my opinon  only ....why did the woman have to cover the hair after that.......Christ Has Risen..SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Huh So which is it? Neanderthal and cro-magnon is a mistaken mix of bones placed together to create something that didn't exist - or they are the human-demon offspring?

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #493 on: May 28, 2008, 01:15:51 AM »

As to the interesting question; "Did Neanderthals have souls?"

If they could speak, think to organise themselves as hunters, create art which indicates some kind of religious meaning, and bury their dead, isn't it more than possible that they had souls?

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #494 on: May 28, 2008, 01:27:51 AM »

Do you have any evidence to support such a theory? ..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Brother   

Only my opinion ....
Brother didn't Christ say the father of cain was satan.....humm humm...Christ has Risen ...Radujse....SmileyCentral.com" border="0
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:30:43 AM by stashko » Logged

Tags: science Theory of Evolution evolution creationism cheval mort 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: