OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:14:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you believe that the acount of genesis in the Old testament should be taken literally?
Yes - 53 (15.7%)
No - 129 (38.2%)
both metaphorically and literally - 156 (46.2%)
Total Voters: 338

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creationism, Evolution, and Orthodoxy  (Read 333119 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #4455 on: September 20, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »

Thus, it is not my opinion that theory of evolution is blasphemous and evil. Orthodox saints of today say it. Do you know any saints who has said otherwise?
St. Luke of the Crimea.

i dont understand where people get this idea. here is what St. Luke says:

Darwinism, which declares that man, by means of evolution, has developed from the lower species of animals, and is not a product of the creative act of the Godhead, has turned out to be merely a supposition, a hypothesis, which has become obsolete even for science. This hypothesis has been acknowledged as contradictory not only to the Bible, but to nature itself, which jealously strives to preserve the purity of each species, and knows of no transition even from a sparrow to a swallow. There are no known facts of a transition of an ape into a man. -- Science and Religion, Trinity Word, 2001, pp. 41-42

Prooftexts are for Protestant Evangelicals and their ideological spawn.
Actually, this text does prove jckstraw's point that St. Luke of the Crimea said the exact opposite of what you attribute to him.

I must be missing the 'evil' part. Plus, the entirety of the article is more balanced.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:08:58 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4456 on: September 20, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »

Thus, it is not my opinion that theory of evolution is blasphemous and evil. Orthodox saints of today say it. Do you know any saints who has said otherwise?
St. Luke of the Crimea.

Darwinism, which declares that man, by means of evolution, has developed from the lower species of animals, and is not a product of the creative act of the Godhead, has turned out to be merely a supposition, a hypothesis, which has become obsolete even for science. This hypothesis has been acknowledged as contradictory not only to the Bible, but to nature itself, which jealously strives to preserve the purity of each species, and knows of no transition even from a sparrow to a swallow. There are no known facts of a transition of an ape into a man. -- Science and Religion, Trinity Word, 2001, pp. 41-42

Actually, this text does prove jckstraw's point that St. Luke of the Crimea said the exact opposite of what you attribute to him.

I must be missing the 'evil' part. Plus, the entirety of the article is more balanced.

who said anything about evil? the point was only that St. Luke is not an evolutionist.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #4457 on: September 20, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »

who said anything about evil? the point was only that St. Luke is not an evolutionist.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:33:05 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4458 on: September 20, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »

aah ok, forgive me my mistake.
ativan
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Georgian Orthodox Church

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4459 on: September 20, 2012, 08:14:08 PM »

St. Luke of the Crimea.

I'll quote the Saint again:
By the way, it is timely to mention that Darwin who tried to show man's origin from apes did distance himself from his misconceptions and humbly repented before God.
This is clear evidence for me that Saint was saying Darwin's theory was evil.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4460 on: September 20, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »

Dude.

Let's pretend that I showed you facts that proved evolution is true.

Would that affect your faith?

Yes or no?

EDIT: BTW I don't care about your rejection of evolution right now, I want to talk hypothetically for a moment.

Waiting for your reply ativan...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4461 on: September 20, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »

St. Luke of the Crimea.

I'll quote the Saint again:
By the way, it is timely to mention that Darwin who tried to show man's origin from apes did distance himself from his misconceptions and humbly repented before God.
This is clear evidence for me that Saint was saying Darwin's theory was evil.
Luckily, Darwin's theory of descent by natural selection, based as it is on a naturalistic view of the cosmos, is only one class of evolutionary theory; other evolutionary theories are not naturalistic.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4462 on: September 20, 2012, 08:25:23 PM »

Three possibilities so far.  Well, one was actually a link to Wikipedia so it doesn't really count.  This shouldn't be all that difficult folks.

I didn't give a link to Wikipedia. Mine are straight from my mouth, college textbooks, professors, documentaries, lectures, etc, etc

When you are in the field of Evolutionary Biology, you tend to learn these issues. i.e. Me
Since you are in the field of evolutionary biology then give us the reasoning on which you make conclusion that Homo erectus or Homo heidelbergensis were predecessors of men. What evidence points to it?
Now, read my question again and then read what you have provided and then show me where exactly your article answers my question. Where's in that article the reasoning which simply attempts (forget about proving) to show that anything mentioned in it was a predecessor of man because of this and that?

Second question will be such: all scientific theories predict something. Darwinism too should predict (before we even find specimen) what type of animal was preceding the man. What type of animal is predicted to be man's immediate ancestor and based on what logic?
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4463 on: September 20, 2012, 08:31:13 PM »

Dude.

Let's pretend that I showed you facts that proved evolution is true.

Would that affect your faith?

Yes or no?

EDIT: BTW I don't care about your rejection of evolution right now, I want to talk hypothetically for a moment.

Waiting for your reply ativan...
I've already replied to you. You have asked me whether my faith would change if scientists proved 2 x 2 is 5. I said that question is not right since 2 x 2 is 4 and I know it.

But to make you happier I will tell this: My faith in God and in his creation will not change (I beg God to give me this power since I myself can't do anything without his Grace) even if the whole world became darwinists and concocted their "evidence" whatever way they wanted it. Hopefully this enough answer for you Wink
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4464 on: September 20, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »

I've already replied to you. You have asked me whether my faith would change if scientists proved 2 x 2 is 5. I said that question is not right since 2 x 2 is 4 and I know it.

But to make you happier I will tell this: My faith in God and in his creation will not change (I beg God to give me this power since I myself can't do anything without his Grace) even if the whole world became darwinists and concocted their "evidence" whatever way they wanted it. Hopefully this enough answer for you Wink

Ok, look ativan, I honestly do appreciate your valiant attempts to remain stalwart in what you believe in. I have no issue with that, and admire your ability to remain headstrong, eventhough it would be better if you remained agnostic on evolution which is a little more teneable than outright rejection of evolution.

But ativan you have to understand that there are those who have the same faith in God that you have, but believe that God used evolution during the "creation" process. What makes you different from them?

So hypothetically, ativan, if you were confronted with utter, undeniable proof that evolution is true what would that do to your faith? What it remain unchanged? Answer the question, no more dodging, yes or no.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4465 on: September 20, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »

Second question will be such: all scientific theories predict something. Darwinism too should predict (before we even find specimen) what type of animal was preceding the man. What type of animal is predicted to be man's immediate ancestor and based on what logic?

Try this artice. It explains a little more why we can't pinpoint an exact human ancestor.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4466 on: September 20, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »

Three possibilities so far.  Well, one was actually a link to Wikipedia so it doesn't really count.  This shouldn't be all that difficult folks.

I didn't give a link to Wikipedia. Mine are straight from my mouth, college textbooks, professors, documentaries, lectures, etc, etc

When you are in the field of Evolutionary Biology, you tend to learn these issues. i.e. Me
Since you are in the field of evolutionary biology then give us the reasoning on which you make conclusion that Homo erectus or Homo heidelbergensis were predecessors of men. What evidence points to it?
Now, read my question again and then read what you have provided and then show me where exactly your article answers my question. Where's in that article the reasoning which simply attempts (forget about proving) to show that anything mentioned in it was a predecessor of man because of this and that?

Genetically, man's closest living relative is the chimpanzee, genus Pan. You can get a measure of relatedness by comparing similarity of proteins or (better) DNA. Thus, we can conclude that Homo sapiens (as well as the immediate ancestors of Homo sapiens) and the chimpanzee shared a common ancestor, about 6 million years ago. This common ancestor would be an ape species that is now extinct, but that undoubtedly looked more like a chimpanzee than a human.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4467 on: September 20, 2012, 09:50:16 PM »

We are now on page 100 of the never-ending thread!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4468 on: September 20, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »

We are now on page 100 of the never-ending thread!
Wax on. Wax off. Wax on. Wax off.....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:52:17 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ashman618
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4469 on: September 20, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »

Try this artice. It explains a little more why we can't pinpoint an exact human ancestor.

So is this article telling me that a being with a body soul and spirit mated witha being with just body and soul to make?Huh?? This biology stuff is confusing, just what the heck am I?Huh
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4470 on: September 20, 2012, 10:05:21 PM »

Ok, look ativan, I honestly do appreciate your valiant attempts to remain stalwart in what you believe in. I have no issue with that, and admire your ability to remain headstrong, eventhough it would be better if you remained agnostic on evolution which is a little more teneable than outright rejection of evolution.
No, it is clear-cut that evolution is totally false.

But ativan you have to understand that there are those who have the same faith in God that you have, but believe that God used evolution during the "creation" process. What makes you different from them?
We don't have same faith. If somebody shares evolutionary view he has not the same faith.

So hypothetically, ativan, if you were confronted with utter, undeniable proof that evolution is true what would that do to your faith? What it remain unchanged? Answer the question, no more dodging, yes or no.
I did not dodge anything. You got my answer. Now I will ask you question: hypothetically speaking, what if I answered to your question "yes" or what if I answered to your question "no", what conclusion would you make in each case? Just hypothetically speaking.
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4471 on: September 20, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »

My question was not why we can't pinpoint an exact human ancestor. I will repeat my question: all scientific theories predict something. Darwinism too should predict (before we even find specimen) what type of animal was preceding the man. What type of animal is predicted to be man's immediate ancestor and based on what logic?

Since you did not answer my question I will ask other questions: does darwinism predict that we can't pinpoint an exact human ancestor? If it predicts then how it predicts so? And if darwinism can't predict an exact human ancestor's features can it predict any of man's ancestor's features (however down on the evolution line this ancestor might have appeared)? And if it does, how does it do so? What is the logic behind it?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4472 on: September 20, 2012, 10:18:26 PM »

If so, then why do people accept evolution as true?

We don't have same faith. If somebody shares evolutionary view he has not the same faith.
So if someone who is a member of the Orthodox Church but believes in evolution, they are not of the same faith? How?

I did not dodge anything. You got my answer. Now I will ask you question: hypothetically speaking, what if I answered to your question "yes" or what if I answered to your question "no", what conclusion would you make in each case? Just hypothetically speaking.
You did dodge it because again I was asking HYPOTHETICALLY and it doesn't matter if the question actually is true or false.

So AGAIN, hypothetically speaking.

IF EVOLUTION IS FOUND TO BE TRUE AND SHOWN WITH FACTS WOULD THAT AFFECT YOUR FAITH? YES OR NO.

Once you answer that, then I can answer the question you just asked.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4473 on: September 20, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »

Other people go further than ridicule.  They like to give a sweeping claim that evolutionists are demonic.  Let's be honest here.  You complain of ridicule but you don't think evolutionists are insulted, especially honest spiritual people like Fr Thomas Hopko, Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, Fr John Meyendorff, probably even Fr Alexander Schmemann with his academic background?

But I've been biting my tongue for some time now so that I don't get one of these, "AHA I knew evolutionists are nothing but ridiculers!!!"
This "Other people" definitely includes me in your opinion Wink Let me clarify couple things for you. First, I said the theory of evolution is evil theory and it has the purpose to degrade man. I did not say those who believe in it are demonic. In fact those who are demonic and spread this theory does not believe in it at all. But those who really believe in it (even if they believe in God) they are lost and confused. No offense intended.

Secondly, you can ridicule me as much as you want. I don't care much. What I care though is your scientific answers to the questions posed. So far, you have nothing logical and no evidence at all. BTW, appeal to ridicule is very common way of evolutionists to "prove" their point. But I have to point that I've not seen one from your side.
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4474 on: September 20, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »

If so, then why do people accept evolution as true?
Different people have different reason for this. But none of them have logical reason and none of them use scientific method when dealing with theory of evolution. This does not mean though none of them know logic or have basic understanding of science.

So if someone who is a member of the Orthodox Church but believes in evolution, they are not of the same faith? How?
They are not in the same faith. Because Orthodox faith also incorporates faith in God's creation instantaneously without any evolution. We may share part of the faith but we are not of the same faith.

You did dodge it because again I was asking HYPOTHETICALLY and it doesn't matter if the question actually is true or false.

So AGAIN, hypothetically speaking.

IF EVOLUTION IS FOUND TO BE TRUE AND SHOWN WITH FACTS WOULD THAT AFFECT YOUR FAITH? YES OR NO.
Whatever you want to call it (dodging or not), fine with me. Now, could you answer my questions please: Now I will ask you question: hypothetically speaking, what if I answered to your question "yes" or what if I answered to your question "no", what conclusion would you make in each case? In short, what is the purpose of your question?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #4475 on: September 20, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »

all scientific theories predict something.
Observation comes first in the scientific method.

And all Evolution would be expected to predict in this situation is: Man had ancestors that experienced selection pressures which produced anatomically modern humans.

So far we have evidence for multiple hominid ancestors showing progressively more human-like traits in response to various selection pressures, which is what you would expect to find.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:55:11 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #4476 on: September 21, 2012, 12:15:31 AM »

How? An Orthodox Christian that believes that God is the Creator of all, but that evolution is the process that He used, has an entirely different faith than you?

How does belief in evolution qualitatively change the faith so that it is "not the same faith"?

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #4477 on: September 21, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »

How? An Orthodox Christian that believes that God is the Creator of all, but that evolution is the process that He used, has an entirely different faith than you?

How does belief in evolution qualitatively change the faith so that it is "not the same faith"?
He believes in the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, the Age to come, and the eradication of evolution.  I believe in the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, and the Age to come.  If you ask him what would happen if hypothetically evolution was true, he would say it will never be true.  If you ask me what would happen if evolution was proven false, I would say, "so what? I still believe in God despite truth or falsity of God.". But for Ativan, it is a necessary tenet of faith to condemn evolution.  His faith in God does not rely on God, but on the rejection of a minuscule issue.

I know people who rejected evolution and is able to have such a strong faith to simply say "if evolution is proven to be true to me, my faith in God would not sway one bit.". That is a sign of true faith grounded in hard rock established by Christ, and not in the guesses of men, scientists or anti-evolutionists. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:07:06 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4478 on: September 21, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »

Darwinism too should predict (before we even find specimen) what type of animal was preceding the man. What type of animal is predicted to be man's immediate ancestor and based on what logic?

does darwinism predict that we can't pinpoint an exact human ancestor? If it predicts then how it predicts so? And if darwinism can't predict an exact human ancestor's features can it predict any of man's ancestor's features (however down on the evolution line this ancestor might have appeared)? And if it does, how does it do so? What is the logic behind it?
Evolution has done this very thing several times.  Darwin himself predicted that we should find fossils in Africa that shared ape features and human features.  His logic?  He surmised that the physical resemblance of humans and great apes indicated that they probably share a relatively recent common ancestor.  Great apes occur naturally in Africa, so he predicted that we would find them there.  From Darwin to Leakey (and beyond), scientists refined this hypothesis, adding others, and what we have discovered is exactly what they predicted.
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4479 on: September 21, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »

Humans and chimps also share a huge amount of DNA with bananas. Perhaps our common ancestor did not just live IN trees, he (and at least one she) also lived ON trees?
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #4480 on: September 21, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »

Humans and chimps also share a huge amount of DNA with bananas. Perhaps our common ancestor did not just live IN trees, he (and at least one she) also lived ON trees?
Actually, one common ancestor was effectively a tree -- all life shares a common ancestor.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4481 on: September 21, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »

Humans and chimps also share a huge amount of DNA with bananas.
Not nearly as much as they share with each other.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:55:05 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4482 on: September 21, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »

You missed his point completely.
Me?  I miss very little.

I hate science. I hate biological sciences even more.

I did take some biology when I was 12 or something. And something about rocks as well.

Do you know how most "fossils" are formed?

If you do, could you construct a decent explanation why we have more fossil of "dinos" than man's "forerunner"?

This seemed an obviously to me at that age even though I was taught creationism and that fossils were temptations of the devil not to believe in the Koran, er Bible.

If Celticfan wants to break all this down for you, he can have at it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:10:18 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #4483 on: September 21, 2012, 03:37:48 PM »

Actually, one common ancestor was effectively a tree -- all life shares a common ancestor.

Your momma might have come from a tree, but mine didn't.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4484 on: September 21, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »

Me?  I miss very little.

I did take some biology when I was 12 or something. And something about rocks as well.

If you do, could you construct a decent explanation why we have more fossil of "dinos" than man's "forerunner"?

This seemed an obviously to me at that age even though I was taught creationism and that fossils were temptations of the devil not to believe in the Koran, er Bible.

Fossils are formed from once living creatures when they are quickly buried and put under pressure as in a cataclysmic natural event. Otherwise they rot or their carcasses get eaten and fossils cannot be formed from carnivore farts no matter how much gastro-intestinal pressure is involved.

Perhaps more dinos died under cataclysmic circumstances (e.g. massive flooding and landslides) than early humans did?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4485 on: September 21, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »

Me?  I miss very little.

Fossils are formed from once living creatures when they are quickly buried and put under pressure as in a cataclysmic natural event. Otherwise they rot or their carcasses get eaten and fossils cannot be formed from carnivore farts no matter how much gastro-intestinal pressure is involved.

Perhaps more dinos died under cataclysmic circumstances (e.g. massive flooding and landslides) than early humans did?
Also,  the dinosauria have existed for 230 million years, and hominids only for 7 million years, increasing the chances of finding dinosauria fossils compared to those of hominids.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #4486 on: September 21, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »

Me?  I miss very little.

Also,  the dinosauria have existed for 230 million years, and hominids only for 7 million years, increasing the chances of finding dinosauria fossils compared to those of hominids.

As a total, but not individual species.

I'm going to need this.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #4487 on: September 21, 2012, 06:55:50 PM »

Me?  I miss very little.

So?

The quantity of dinosaurs that existed is immensely, immensely greater than the number of one transitional human species. Ergo, they would leave that many more fossils.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #4488 on: September 21, 2012, 06:59:35 PM »

Me?  I miss very little.

Also, more importantly, the fossilization process itself involves minerals replacing the biological remains. Most people don't realize that fossils are not old bones. They are rocks that are shaped like bones.

Cataclysmic events help, but they aren't necessary.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #4489 on: September 21, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »

Me?  I miss very little.

Interesting upbringing.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #4490 on: September 21, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »

Me?  I miss very little.

So?

The quantity of dinosaurs that existed is immensely, immensely greater than the number of one transitional human species. Ergo, they would leave that many more fossils.

They are not proportional comparisons. It's like asking why can't we find T-Rex when we see all these mammal fossils.

I'm going to need this.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4491 on: September 21, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »

They are not in the same faith. Because Orthodox faith also incorporates faith in God's creation instantaneously without any evolution. We may share part of the faith but we are not of the same faith.
Different people have different reason for this. But none of them have logical reason and none of them use scientific method when dealing with theory of evolution. This does not mean though none of them know logic or have basic understanding of science.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:35:55 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #4492 on: September 21, 2012, 09:48:27 PM »

laugh laugh laugh
This succinctly expresses how I feel nearly every time I open this thread.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #4493 on: September 21, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »

Me?  I miss very little.

So?

They are not proportional comparisons. It's like asking why can't we find T-Rex when we see all these mammal fossils.

I think we're saying the same thing, right?
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4494 on: September 21, 2012, 11:53:44 PM »

He believes in the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, the Age to come, and the eradication of evolution.  I believe in the Father, Son, Holy Spirit, One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, and the Age to come.  If you ask him what would happen if hypothetically evolution was true, he would say it will never be true.  If you ask me what would happen if evolution was proven false, I would say, "so what? I still believe in God despite truth or falsity of God.". But for Ativan, it is a necessary tenet of faith to condemn evolution.  His faith in God does not rely on God, but on the rejection of a minuscule issue.
I'm a sinner. In fact I don't deserve to be that lucky one to whom God bestowed faith. Faith is Lord's gift to me. I did not buy it. I did not earned it. And I don't know if I will keep it. Only thing I can do is thank to the Lord and pray that I don't loose it and it becomes stronger. One of the greatest disciples of the Lord Saint peter told to the Lord that he would never deny Him but he did. Why? So, I don't care about the loaded questions you ask. I gave him the answer and my position was quite clear. BTW, How do you know you will keep your faith?

I know people who rejected evolution and is able to have such a strong faith to simply say "if evolution is proven to be true to me, my faith in God would not sway one bit.". That is a sign of true faith grounded in hard rock established by Christ, and not in the guesses of men, scientists or anti-evolutionists.
Scientists and anti-evolutionists? Scientists=new age gurus without reason, blindly believing or teaching theory of evolution. Anti-evolutionists=those who have enough reason to refute evolutionist's absurd claims.
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4495 on: September 21, 2012, 11:57:32 PM »

On previous paged I've explained that enough while discussing this issue with minasoliman. It changes faith as any other heresy does.
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4496 on: September 22, 2012, 12:37:04 AM »

all scientific theories predict something.
Observation comes first in the scientific method.

And all Evolution would be expected to predict in this situation is: Man had ancestors that experienced selection pressures which produced anatomically modern humans.
We go on circles. I repeat my question: give me the logic (or refer me to the logic) that predicts what type of ancestors are we supposed to have based on that theory.

So far we have evidence for multiple hominid ancestors showing progressively more human-like traits in response to various selection pressures, which is what you would expect to find.
You again beg the question. So far we may have evidence that there are species some of that are closer to humans and some of them are further to humans. This could mean a lot of different things which you have not ruled out yet. Did you prove that none of those fossils are the fossils of currently existing species? Did you prove that some of the fossils could be a rare type of genetic disorders of modern species? Did you prove that some of the fossils could be a rare type of genetic disorders of modern humans? If you did then give me the proof of these. If you did not then I can always assume that those fossils are nothing but the fossils of current human or ape species that have not been studied well.

Let's go to the next questions: today if have many different primates. Some of them have much more resemblance to humans then others. Still more are quite distant from us. All of these are discrete species that are not human ancestors for sure. Now a cataclysm happens (or for some other unknown reasons) and many of the species die out. Some of them survive. 50 000 years pass and there's this renewal of darwinian heresy. Scientists find the bones of those species. Surely, some of them are closer to humans and some of them are further in their skeletal anatomy. There are also species from our time that has survived cataclysm. Now some scientists make clearly fallacious claim based on the living and dead species anatomy and he makes this false conclusion exactly because of the same reasoning that you did. Now if you understand what is said here how can you assure me that given findings is not due to similar event?

Another question: I have several objects that are clearly man made, even though you and I have not seen that it was made by men. Say this objects are computers of newer and older generation. Computers of older generation share some properties with computers of newer generation. Besides there are multiple different types of computers of older generation. Some of them are much closer with new computers and some of them are further. Then I took you in a desert and showed you a piece of land. I dug it out and found more computers of older generation with different level of resemblance with newer computers. Based on the evidence I conclude that newer computers were formed by evolution of older computers without any intelligent production of these items. Based on your logic this is the only conclusion I can make. But it is clear that these things are designed by intelligence. This is immediate conclusion. Do you see the problem in evolutionist's reasoning? How on the earth you conclude that given finding is necessarily the consequence of blind random evolutionary process and not out of intelligent design?
ativan
Elder

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #4497 on: September 22, 2012, 12:38:18 AM »

Darwinism too should predict (before we even find specimen) what type of animal was preceding the man. What type of animal is predicted to be man's immediate ancestor and based on what logic?

does darwinism predict that we can't pinpoint an exact human ancestor? If it predicts then how it predicts so? And if darwinism can't predict an exact human ancestor's features can it predict any of man's ancestor's features (however down on the evolution line this ancestor might have appeared)? And if it does, how does it do so? What is the logic behind it?
Evolution has done this very thing several times.  Darwin himself predicted that we should find fossils in Africa that shared ape features and human features.  His logic?  He surmised that the physical resemblance of humans and great apes indicated that they probably share a relatively recent common ancestor.  Great apes occur naturally in Africa, so he predicted that we would find them there.  From Darwin to Leakey (and beyond), scientists refined this hypothesis, adding others, and what we have discovered is exactly what they predicted.
You again beg the question. So far we may have evidence that there are species some of that are closer to humans and some of them are further to humans. This could mean a lot of different things which you have not ruled out yet. Did you prove that none of those fossils are the fossils of currently existing species? Did you prove that some of the fossils could be a rare type of genetic disorders of modern species? Did you prove that some of the fossils could be a rare type of genetic disorders of modern humans? If you did then give me the proof of these. If you did not then I can always assume that those fossils are nothing but the fossils of current human or ape species that have not been studied well.

Let's go to the next questions: today if have many different primates. Some of them have much more resemblance to humans then others. Still more are quite distant from us. All of these are discrete species that are not human ancestors for sure. Now a cataclysm happens (or for some other unknown reasons) and many of the species die out. Some of them survive. 50 000 years pass and there's this renewal of darwinian heresy. Scientists find the bones of those species. Surely, some of them are closer to humans and some of them are further in their skeletal anatomy. There are also species from our time that has survived cataclysm. Now some scientists make clearly fallacious claim based on the living and dead species anatomy and he makes this false conclusion exactly because of the same reasoning that you did. Now if you understand what is said here how can you assure me that given findings is not due to similar event?

Another question: I have several objects that are clearly man made, even though you and I have not seen that it was made by men. Say this objects are computers of newer and older generation. Computers of older generation share some properties with computers of newer generation. Besides there are multiple different types of computers of older generation. Some of them are much closer with new computers and some of them are further. Then I took you in a desert and showed you a piece of land. I dug it out and found more computers of older generation with different level of resemblance with newer computers. Based on the evidence I conclude that newer computers were formed by evolution of older computers without any intelligent production of these items. Based on your logic this is the only conclusion I can make. But it is clear that these things are designed by intelligence. This is immediate conclusion. Do you see the problem in evolutionist's reasoning? How on the earth you conclude that given finding is necessarily the consequence of blind random evolutionary process and not out of intelligent design?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #4498 on: September 22, 2012, 01:17:15 AM »

Do you see the problem in evolutionist's reasoning? How on the earth you conclude that given finding is necessarily the consequence of blind random evolutionary process and not out of intelligent design?
There is nothing random about Evolution, and no evolutionary biologist worth his salt would say so after giving it any amount of thought.

I repeat my question: give me the logic (or refer me to the logic) that predicts what type of ancestors are we supposed to have based on that theory.
Ancestors which show a gradient of transition from something unlike us to something more like us.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:18:29 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #4499 on: September 22, 2012, 02:06:06 AM »

Did you prove...? Did you prove...? Did you prove...?
...how can you assure me...?[/b]
Your persistent need for proof and assurance betrays your lack of understanding of how science works.

If you did not [prove it] then I can always assume...
Yes, you could always assume.  That's not how scientists do things, however.  If you'd truly like to understand what they've discovered over the past centuries, you'll need to leave your assumptions behind.
Tags: science Theory of Evolution evolution creationism cheval mort 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: