OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:17:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you believe that the acount of genesis in the Old testament should be taken literally?
Yes - 53 (15.8%)
No - 129 (38.4%)
both metaphorically and literally - 154 (45.8%)
Total Voters: 336

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creationism, Evolution, and Orthodoxy  (Read 317054 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2700 on: January 10, 2011, 01:16:23 AM »

I have a question. If we evolved from apes, and there was no God, would our species even last as long as it had?

I mean with no guidance we'd probably killed each other off no?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #2701 on: January 10, 2011, 01:22:51 AM »

I have a question. If we evolved from apes, and there was no God, would our species even last as long as it had?

Give it some time...

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2702 on: January 10, 2011, 03:37:35 AM »

Modern Homo Sapiens have been alive a very short time in comparison to our predecessor species. See chart below:

http://www.wsu.edu:8001/vwsu/gened/learn-modules/top_longfor/timeline/timeline.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:38:31 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2703 on: January 11, 2011, 01:07:36 AM »

If there was no God, I'd have a hard time understanding how creation has a purposeful existence.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #2704 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:01 AM »

Well, realistically speaking, whether or not there is a God isnot affected by what we believe or don't believe would be possible with or without one. Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2705 on: January 11, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »

Well, realistically speaking, whether or not there is a God isnot affected by what we believe or don't believe would be possible with or without one. Smiley

That's deep. Could you rephrase that for this dullard?  laugh
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:01:26 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2706 on: January 11, 2011, 06:04:25 PM »

If there was no God, I'd have a hard time understanding how creation has a purposeful existence.

And I agree with you, but let's just say for the discussion God doesn't exist and we somehow came to be fashioned by randomness and chance. If a higher being wasn't there to guide us a long the way, wouldn't our species somewhere be extinct? How would we know what good and bad were to be, who knows in an alternate reality the few species of humans could have eaten some bad stuff that killed them.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

« Reply #2707 on: January 11, 2011, 06:23:07 PM »

And I agree with you, but let's just say for the discussion God doesn't exist and we somehow came to be fashioned by randomness and chance. If a higher being wasn't there to guide us a long the way, wouldn't our species somewhere be extinct? How would we know what good and bad were to be, who knows in an alternate reality the few species of humans could have eaten some bad stuff that killed them.

Many atheists today have accepted Hawking's new speculation based on mathematical calculations that our universe is one of perhaps infinitely many others with different laws of physics, which can signify that we are just "insignificant" in the group.  In other words, chances are, there is at least one universe, our's, that supports life, and especially life that evolves into humanity.

So, the atheist answer I suppose is, depending on which universe you live in.  We just happened to be in one which was fine-tuned for our existence.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:24:02 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2708 on: January 11, 2011, 06:27:42 PM »

Many atheists today have accepted Hawking's new speculation based on mathematical calculations that our universe is one of perhaps infinitely many others with different laws of physics, which can signify that we are just "insignificant" in the group.  In other words, chances are, there is at least one universe, our's, that supports life, and especially life that evolves into humanity.

So, the atheist answer I suppose is, depending on which universe you live in.  We just happened to be in one which was fine-tuned for our existence.
LOL it's like they are arguing for intelligent design.

"insignificant" huh? Why is it that these observations try to void all purposeness in life? Oh you're just a cause from some sort of random event, no reason at all. Just cause. That is truly absurd.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2709 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:17 PM »

"insignificant" huh? Why is it that these observations try to void all purposeness in life? Oh you're just a cause from some sort of random event, no reason at all. Just cause. That is truly absurd.

I don't think people try to get rid of purpose, I think that's just what they see as the logical and consistent conclusion of their beliefs. I wouldn't call it absurdity, I'd call it sincerity. However, I think they could be wrong, and there could be alternative views. For instance, I was quite depressed last night (and I'm understating things quite a bit). One thing that helped pull me out was a show I had recorded and started watching on black holes. Ha! Black holes could destroy our solar system, they said. It could rip the earth apart. Our universe could be nothing more than the innards of a black hole from some other universe, they speculated. And yet... the show really lifted my spirits, because they reminded me of the grandeur and complexity of our existence. Does that mean that purpose is a necessary thing? No, but it starts to build a case for it... at least that's how I felt last night. Yet others come to opposite conclusion--sometimes I come to an opposite conclusion. Anyway, I think I'm rambling...

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2710 on: January 11, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »

That's deep. Could you rephrase that for this dullard?  laugh
I think she's saying that there are two separate issues here: (1) whether God really exists or not; and (2) whether we believe God really exists or not.

God might not exist, but our belief in God's existence might have allowed us to survive.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #2711 on: January 11, 2011, 07:45:35 PM »

I don't think people try to get rid of purpose, I think that's just what they see as the logical and consistent conclusion of their beliefs. I wouldn't call it absurdity, I'd call it sincerity. However, I think they could be wrong, and there could be alternative views. For instance, I was quite depressed last night (and I'm understating things quite a bit). One thing that helped pull me out was a show I had recorded and started watching on black holes. Ha! Black holes could destroy our solar system, they said. It could rip the earth apart. Our universe could be nothing more than the innards of a black hole from some other universe, they speculated. And yet... the show really lifted my spirits, because they reminded me of the grandeur and complexity of our existence. Does that mean that purpose is a necessary thing? No, but it starts to build a case for it... at least that's how I felt last night. Yet others come to opposite conclusion--sometimes I come to an opposite conclusion. Anyway, I think I'm rambling...

Hey, I replied your post in the "criticism of atheism" thread, as it pertained more to that subject.  I want to think they are sincere, and if so, perhaps they're also brainwashed and devoid of any clarity of mind.

I can't wait to buy and read Hawking's book to get a clearer understanding of all this stuff though.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2712 on: January 11, 2011, 07:46:08 PM »

Why is it that these observations try to void all purposeness in life?
Because science is not based on finding a purpose in life. Science is based on curiosity about how things work. If something works in this or that manner, but we don't know exactly how, then curiosity is incited. This curiosity is a rather joyous emotion, but it also needs to be fulfilled, at least to some degree. The scientist enhances his joyous emotion of curiosity whenever she discovers exactly how something works. Any 'ultimate' purpose cannot (from a scientific perspective) be discovered, and so doesn't arouse any curiosity. But the way things work empirically...Ah ha! We can find that out, via curiosity.

Of course, when 'revelation' occurs, an event that breaks through what one would normally consider 'real', then another type of curiosity manifests itself. angel

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2713 on: January 29, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »

Does this picture describe Protestantism more than Orthodoxy?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 02:38:26 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2714 on: January 29, 2011, 02:44:52 PM »

Does this picture describe Protestantism more than Orthodoxy?

Which Protestants?  Wink

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2715 on: January 29, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »

I'm not sure the steps as depicted even make sense.  Is man not made in God's image truly the next logical conclusion after Bible not infallible?  I don't think so.

And no deity is four steps removed from atheism.  But aren't those two synonymous?

I think the cartoon is more an appeal for emotional effect than it is a description of any kind of logical hierarchy.
Dnarmist

Seems Uncertain

« Reply #2716 on: February 01, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »

Alligators, crocodiles, snakes, turtles, tortoises, fish, lizards, dinosaurs.

Which one of those aren't around anymore? Right, dinosaurs. They were not fit to survive whatever killed them off. The rest were, and they're not the same as they were billions of years ago when all that happened.

Passenger pigeons no longer even exist, they cannot evolve because they were wiped out by man. Survival of the fittest. Our intelligence lead to the creation of guns which lead to the extinction of that entire species. We're still here. They are not. We will continue to thrive. They won't.

I think alot of what I have read here is seeing things strictly from the human perspective. It seems as though people think that once humans got here, that's when everything started. What about the billions of years before humans existed and other animals roamed the planet? How did woolly mammoths descend into elephants? They adapted due to natural climate change and the mammoths themselves no longer exist but their DNA can be found in modern elephants. The evidence is all too blatant to ignore.

I would urge don't fall into the trap that evolution is against God. Because to me, intelligent design WOULD be that animals evolve; seems to be the most intelligent of all. Otherwise God would have to step in every few years and create a new species.

Almost everything you eat has been genetically altered to suit our needs as humans. We've just outranked all the other animals (for now) on the scale of evolution, but we're all brothers with all the creatures of this planet. We've managed to control evolution, to a scale. We don't adapt our needs to our environment so much anymore as we adapt our environment to our needs.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2717 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:17 PM »

"There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #2718 on: February 02, 2011, 12:02:53 AM »

"There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live."
Cheesy

There should be a Chuck Norris thread somewhere...

aahh...found it:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,18523.0.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:04:53 AM by minasoliman » Logged

ipm

Faith: Serbian Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2719 on: February 03, 2011, 02:04:25 AM »

Try this link to see if the podcasts are of any interest. There is a ton of stuff on evolution there:

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/hopko

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2720 on: February 09, 2011, 06:23:40 AM »

I'll tell you what naturalism and evolution is. It is a mountain of conjecture backed up with mountain of evidence that influenced by confirmation bias. It has inspired an entire generation of close-minded arrogant individuals believing that they are the offspring of monkeys and pond scum and spend billions of dollars regularly scouring the universe looking for little green men with big heads in flying saucers and believe that the universe just magically popped into existence, denying the laws of cause and effect.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2721 on: February 09, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »

^how much time have you spent researching the theory to come to this conclusion?
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #2722 on: February 09, 2011, 05:36:39 PM »

close-minded arrogant individuals

ha. ha. ha.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2723 on: February 09, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »

close-minded arrogant individuals

ha. ha. ha.
What's so funny?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2724 on: February 09, 2011, 05:52:45 PM »

It has inspired an entire generation of close-minded arrogant individuals believing that they are the offspring of monkeys and pond scum

I think "From Pond Scum to Human Personality" would be an interesting title for a paper. Though "The Evolution of Monkey Men" would be cool as well. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:55:21 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2725 on: February 09, 2011, 07:01:50 PM »

For the record, every 'pond scum' i've ever encountered prefers to be referred to collectively as 'blue-green algae', or by their individual species names, such as Chlorella and Spirulina.
minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #2726 on: February 09, 2011, 09:53:52 PM »

I suppose Pond Scum is another way of saying "dirt mixed with water" scum...sounds very biblical to me.  Wink

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2727 on: February 11, 2011, 05:49:46 AM »

I'll tell you what naturalism and evolution is. It is a mountain of conjecture backed up with mountain of evidence that influenced by confirmation bias. It has inspired an entire generation of close-minded arrogant individuals believing that they are the offspring of monkeys and pond scum and spend billions of dollars regularly scouring the universe looking for little green men with big heads in flying saucers and believe that the universe just magically popped into existence, denying the laws of cause and effect.

^Pretty much sums it up for me.

When it comes to evolutionary "science," the fox is guarding the henhouse. This is what most people either don't understand or refuse to admit.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
TheJackel

Faith: Materialist

« Reply #2728 on: February 16, 2011, 05:47:26 AM »

Wiki:

Evolution (also known as biological or organic evolution) is the change over time in the proportion of individual organisms differing in one or more inheritedtraits.[1] A trait is a particular characteristic—anatomical, biochemical or behavioural

--
    Abiogenesis
    In natural science, abiogenesis (pronounced /ˌeɪbaɪ.ɵˈdʒɛnɨsɪs/AY-by-oh-JEN-ə-siss) or biopoesis is the study of how biological life arises from inorganic matter through natural processes, and the method by which life on Earth arose. Most amino acids, often called "the building blocks of life", can form via natural chemical reactions unrelated to life, as demonstrated in the Miller–Urey experiment

Scientists watch 40000 generations evolve:
http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2009/10/21/Scientists-watch-40000-generations-evolve/UPI-90041256132104/

Macro-evolution in E-coli:
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/23/7899.abstract

Scientists watch bacteria evolve heat resistance:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100617111247.htm

Or:

Macro and Micro Selenium Speciation in Black Foot River, Idaho
http://xraysweb.lbl.gov/uxas/Publicatons/Papers/pdfs/Strawn%20Se%20sediment.pdf

nylon eating organism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eating_bacteria

TheJackel

« Reply #2729 on: February 16, 2011, 05:59:09 AM »

This is more or less a plea for pure ignorance because someone is likely science illiterate. :/ Worst of all, its an attempt to rationalize one's failures by trying to apply social dogma for a plea of emotion to make one's argument seem authoritative and credible.

believe that the universe just magically popped into existence, denying the laws of cause and effect.

Might want to brush up on your quantum physics.. The Universe is not stated to have magically popped into existence from nothing. You can feel free to Google "Ground State", "Zero-point Energy", and "Vacuum Energy". Yes, an education before making blindly uneducated comments might help you in your arguments :/

I'm willing to bet that you don't even know the differences between micro-evolution and macro-evolution.

Just in Case, I will post it here for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7GaI2rCwI&feature=related
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2730 on: February 16, 2011, 06:50:44 AM »

Wiki:

Evolution (also known as biological or organic evolution) is the change over time in the proportion of individual organisms differing in one or more inheritedtraits.[1] A trait is a particular characteristic—anatomical, biochemical or behavioural

--
    Abiogenesis
    In natural science, abiogenesis (pronounced /ˌeɪbaɪ.ɵˈdʒɛnɨsɪs/AY-by-oh-JEN-ə-siss) or biopoesis is the study of how biological life arises from inorganic matter through natural processes, and the method by which life on Earth arose. Most amino acids, often called "the building blocks of life", can form via natural chemical reactions unrelated to life, as demonstrated in the Miller–Urey experiment

Scientists watch 40000 generations evolve:
http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2009/10/21/Scientists-watch-40000-generations-evolve/UPI-90041256132104/

Macro-evolution in E-coli:
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/23/7899.abstract

Scientists watch bacteria evolve heat resistance:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100617111247.htm

Or:

Macro and Micro Selenium Speciation in Black Foot River, Idaho
http://xraysweb.lbl.gov/uxas/Publicatons/Papers/pdfs/Strawn%20Se%20sediment.pdf

nylon eating organism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eating_bacteria

I'm just going to throw this out here, but why must science exclude outright the possibility of the divine in order to understand our world and our cosmos?

I would simply say that within the realm of biology, evolution can only adequately explain a very limited number of things. I would argue that many Neo-Darwinists have exaggerated the capacities of evolution. Very recently, in fact, it was found that even Natural Selection is probably not responsible for speciation:
The traditionally accepted idea of species evolving through gradual changes is the Red Queen hypothesis, named after a character in Alice in Wonderland, who explains to Alice that "it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place." The hypothesis, that species continually change and adapt to compete with co-evolving species and retain their ecological niche, was proposed in 1973 by Leigh Van Valen.

The new research, carried out by Mark Pagel and colleagues at the University of Reading, in England, studied 101 groups of plant and animal species and analyzed the lengths of branches in the evolutionary trees of thousands of species within these groups. The lengths of the branches are a measure of the time elapsed between two species branching off.

The researchers then compared four models of speciation to determine which best accounted for the rate of speciation actually found. The Red Queen hypothesis, of species arising as a result of an accumulation of small changes, fitted only eight percent of the evolutionary trees.

Dr Pagel said that the research shows speciation is the result of rare events in the environment, such as genetic mutations, a shift in climate, or a mountain range rising up.

The work suggests that natural selection may not be the cause of speciation, which Pagel said "really goes against the grain" for scientists who have a Darwinian view of evolution.

The paper is published in the journal Nature.
http://www.physorg.com/news179737267.html

Biologists will now have to explain an immense number of biological changes in very, very short time frames. We seem to be discovering that Evolution accounts for less and less, rather than more and more. The case for an all-encompassing evolutionary theory becomes no more sunny when you begin to investigate molecular biology: where evolution has to account for the presence of molecular machinery operating within in the cell. Furthermore, evolution cannot adequately account for the presence of information.

I would embrace an ID+Evolution position. That while evolution certainly has a role in biology, it could never fully explain every aspect of biology in a satisfactory way.

Also this is a debate that requires one to be extraordinarily humble. It's a broad and vast field of study, and much of the discussion is clouded by emotional characterizations of the opposition. What you quoted me above on was rather tongue and cheek, not to be taken seriously (It's pretty obvious I made a rash overt generalization with Evolution). I honestly take no sides in this debate, and I do my best to follow the evidence where it leads me. This is why I'm not fundamentally opposed to evolution, because I know that there are certain cases where it can adequately explain physical changes in organisms.

The best advice I can offer in such a discussion is to be amazed. Be amazed at the grandeur and the beauty of life. We should be in awe at its sophistication, and its almost mystical surprises. Debates of this kind usually go best when the people arguing have a deep-seeded love for nature. We should always be astounded by the fact that chickens lay eggs, for it is far stranger than any tale told in a nursery rhyme.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheJackel

« Reply #2731 on: February 16, 2011, 07:19:38 AM »

I'm just going to throw this out here, but why must science exclude outright the possibility of the divine in order to understand our world and our cosmos?

It has not intention of doing so.. The exclusion surfaces in the logical fallacy of the concept itself, and under the weight of it's own arguments. Science only makes it more apparent.

I would simply say that within the realm of biology, evolution can only adequately explain a very limited number of things. I would argue that many Neo-Darwinists have exaggerated the capacities of evolution. Very recently, in fact, it was found that even Natural Selection is probably not responsible for speciation:

Firstly, there is no such thing as a Neo-darwinist group. Secondly you are entirely incorrect. This again tells me that you have no clue as to what you are talking about when it comes to biochemistry. And I would like you to please define speciation and then define macro-evolution for me.. In fact micro-evolution can cause more variation than macro-evolution in physical appearances between species. Macro-evolutions is when a species splits down two evolutionary paths where they can no-longer procreate with each other. When that happens, speciation has thus occurred. Humans are equally bound to the same biochemical processes.. I would also like for you to please define Natural selection for me and post it here so we know you understand what it means.

And when you are done. you can stop ignoring the examples I gave you to which are direct examples of evolution..

Lastly, I can give you a perfectly good example of evolution to which is order arising from a system chaos.:

TheJackel,

Academically, I am not that strong and never have that chance. I'd like to ask you a question "Are all men created equal?". Please, consider it as a small part of evolution question.

My Reply:

There are many aspects of evolution to which also include behavioral evolution.. Much like how fish will swim in schools for protection, man will find social groups to associate themselves with for many of the same reasons.. Human nature will segregate themselves into different social groups to where they never really ever fully equate other people outside their social group as equal.. Yes, it can happen, but evolution states that such things as equality as relative.. The other problem is, in chaotic systems such as human behavior, or evolution, there never is equality since everything is a dynamic and continuously emerging property of positive, negative, and neutral actions, reactions, responses, ideas, thoughts, levels of equality, emotion, feeling, adaptations, natural selections, choices, decisions, paths, morals, ethics, abilities, or possibilities of countless probabilities to which can not ever be 100% predictable or ever be static.

Example:

911 hits, where do I stand on human equality if it were my family killed in Tower 1? What possible routes will the evolution of my morality, ehtics, or stance on human equality take me? How much control do I have over this? Would I ever be the same?.. Sure I can make a choice to a limited degree, but evolution states that everyone isn't the same and will make any possible number of choices and changes because not everyone is the same. Especially in mental stability, states of mind, or in what control they have over their emotions. Thus, even though humans are intelligent, the entire system remains Chaotic like to which can not be predicted with any sort of real certainty.

This is why Chaos theory holds true.. Even in human nature.

Evolution functions in regards to positive and negative feedback from an organism and it's environment. I can prove evolution in non-living molecules as I can in living organisms:

* We can also go here under my evolution thread concerning Prions to understand more of what material-physical information is or means:

http://thinkingaloudforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13429

We can prove evolution in non-living molecules as We can in living molecules. Prions are non-living molecules that can evolve and adapt to their environment. Ju­pi­ter, Fla discovered that these Prions can develop many different kinds of mutations that help prions develop defenses to withstand against threats. Even viruses that are considered non-living but active matter that can also evolve. However, viruses have a commonality with life known as DNA, and Prions do not. Prions consist of proteins that are composed of amino acids. The mutations are different folding arrangements of the protein molecules that achieve different material physical/informational characteristics much like that of DNA.. These fold­ing arrangements play an ev­o­lu­tion­ary role in pri­ons. This follows the same premise behind the driving force commonly found in cases of co-evolution and mutualism. Sorry creationists, but Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest isn't the only driving force behind evolution. The fact that non-life or non-living active matter evolves, also means that life evolves. Evolution is proven in by co-evolution, mutation, and simple observations of existing wild life. This shows the deeper communicative connection between living active matter, non-living active matter, and inactive matter.

http://www.mad-cow.org/prion_evol.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coevolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutualism_%28biology%29

--

* Furthermore, we can get even deeper into evolution by linking plant and animal into one little critter known as the Green Sea Slug. Here we can observe an example of the deeper communicative process of evolution!. The Green Sea slug can actually steal photosynthesizing organelles and genes from algae. This little slug can produce it's own chlorophyll. Also, Elysia and its genetic kleptomania is yet another example of animals undergoing the sort of horizontal gene transfer that is so commonplace in bacteria to where we can see how the flow of information is a material physical process.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/01/green-sea-slug/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_gene_transfer

--

* There is also information on the evolution of the human Genome:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0308_060308_evolution.html

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:21:32 AM by TheJackel » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2732 on: February 16, 2011, 07:35:17 AM »

Atheistic evolutionists miss the forest for the trees. Ironic, considering their deification of nature.

Atheistic evolutionsists are like a mechanic who can explain every piece of the car engine and how it operates, but he has no idea why the car exists in the first place and he can't drive. But he fancies himself the sole expert on cars simply because he can explain how (not why) the engine works.

Selam 

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
TheJackel

« Reply #2733 on: February 16, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »

Molecular Dynamics: Life: Gravity
Genome, DNA, Reproduction
Darwin, Origin of Life
Protein: Thermodynamics
Photon Energy and Life
Photon is the energy evolution of everything
Synthetic Life 1
Video: Synthetic Life 2
Self Orgainization and Complexity
Self organizing algorithms through the study of RNA
Gene self-organizing maps
Self-Organizing Biochemical cycles
Physical Role in Biochemical Self Organization

Enzymes and self-organizing collective dynamics:

Strong diffusional mixing and short delivery times typical for micrometer and sub-micrometer reaction volumes lead to a special situations of self oscillation where the turnover times of individual enzyme molecules become the largest characteristic time scale of the chemical kinetics. Under these conditions, populations of cross-regulating allosteric enzymes form molecular networks that exhibit various kinds of self-organized coherent collective dynamics.

RNA:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100222162009.htm (no human intervention)
http://www.springerlink.com/content/p0mp6w24211696h3/

Further synthetic life links:

* http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1208047/Life-order-Man-organisms-months-say-biologists.html
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_life
* http://gizmodo.com/307958/craig-venter-claims-artificial-life-has-been-created
* http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/01/synthetic_genome?currentPage=2
* http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/003908.html

DNA Robots:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33483705/ns/...nnovation/

DNA robots that can reproduce themselves:

http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=8412.php
http://2020science.org/2008/01/26/synthe...echnology/

The Self-organized gene:
http://blog.peltarion.com/2007/04/10/the-self-organized-gene-part-1/

The human Genome has already been established in relation to apes. Its the fusion of a chromosome 2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome_2_%28human%29

Dolphin. It's not a fish, it's mammal. Still has the pelvis bone, and is still found with extra limbs attached to the pelvis:

* http://tursiops.org/dolfin/guide/dolphinevo.html
* http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/images/whaleancestors.gif&imgrefurl=http://limulus.wordpress.com/2006/11/06/dolphin-with-hind-limbs-caught-alive-in-japan/&h=299&w=170&sz=19&tbnid=wDr7fUzZSTQ_qM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=66&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddolphin%2Bevolution&zoom=1&q=dolphin+evolution&hl=en&usg=__wevos8a3S3YgBUz14hib2FRE798=&sa=X&ei=vZxJTaW-LJPQsAP3xbCXCg&sqi=2&ved=0CD4Q9QEwBA
* http://limulus.wordpress.com/2006/11/06/dolphin-with-hind-limbs-caught-alive-in-japan/
* http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090924185533.htm

Or:

Observed instances of speciation:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

Genotypic speciation of heterotrophic bacteria
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15524705

Introduction: to species and speciation in micro-organisms
http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/361/1475/1897.full

Everything in existence has pattern from a chaotic system with feed back with order that comes from chaos. All this states is that a pattern can lead to the change of another pattern should said pattern influence and exert pressure on the other. Hence, Chaos follows information theory:

Information: The material physical Cause of causation

3) "Information is any type of pattern that influences the formation or transformation of other patterns. In this sense, there is no need for a conscious mind to perceive, much less appreciate the pattern

TheJackel

« Reply #2734 on: February 16, 2011, 07:54:11 AM »

Atheistic evolutionists miss the forest for the trees. Ironic, considering their deification of nature.

Atheistic evolutionsists are like a mechanic who can explain every piece of the car engine and how it operates, but he has no idea why the car exists in the first place and he can't drive. But he fancies himself the sole expert on cars simply because he can explain how (not why) the engine works.

Really? This tells me you have no understanding of how information theory works.. And btw, chaotic systems are not predictable and thus can never be explained in exact detail.. You might want to learn information theory before posting pleading arguments. And I can explain why the car exists with 3 simple laws that govern Chaos theory, information, matter, energy, atoms, processes, phenomenon, ect.

Positive
Negative
Neutral

These 3 rules (laws) underpin all things of complex, and all things existent. It's the fundamental characteristics of a chaotic system to which can give rise to emergent properties such as consciousness, or the chair you sit on while reading this post. Why?

There can only ever be a positive, negative, or neutral; action, reaction, response, process, phenomenon, Natural selection, adaptation, ability, emotion, feeling, dynamic, function, feedback, ethic, relevance, information, state, position, point of view, thought, idea, system, or emerging property.

Do you even know the differences between a Carbon atom and let's say..A helium atom?
TheJackel

« Reply #2735 on: February 16, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »

And why we already know by fact and by example:

Spatial capacity to which is the capacity to exist, and have a place to exist in. This can not ever have zero literal capacity, exist as zero capacity, or exist in the form of a negative capacity. Hence, literal 0 dimensional objects, places, or things do not exist because they can not have the capacity to do so. And that is especially true for someone that would try and imply -1 dimensional capacity..

And what is Spatial Capacity made of? Energy..And that also means no literal negative or zero energy can't exist. This is also stated in the laws of Thermodynamics because literal zero temperature or thermal property is impossible for this very same reason. From ground state to every day objects like the chair you sit in here on Planet Earth.. So we do know quite a bit, we just don't know the entire sum total there is to know between zero (ground state) and above.

So you can feel free to reference:

1) Scale:
http://primaxstudio.com/stuff/scale_of_universe/

2) You, me, and everything else on the orders of magnitude on the energy scale..as also demonstrated above under (scale):

http://talklikeaphysicist.com/2009/energy-scale-of-over-100-orders-of-magnitude/

Gravity is considered a negative energy (not literally, just opposite force in the opposite direction/attraction)This is also where expansion is considered positive energy. The total net energy is zero (not literal). This is where Zero energy, as energy, is in a state of Equilibrium vs actually being nothing or literally zero. This is why we refer to zero-point energy or ground state. So at rest there is zero-point energy. This is where zero also = 1 or (0,1)

Zero point energy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy

Ground State:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_state

Vacuum Energy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_energy

Zero Energy Calculator:
http://www.curtismenning.com/ZeroEnergyCalc.htm

The Four stages of Matter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88tK5c0wgH4
--
Quantum Electrodynamics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8R4Tz_vKEE
--
Chaos Theory and Emerging order from the coupling of positive and negative feedback:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HVRniR3GrQ
--
Butterfly effect: Secret life of Chaos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6NnCOs20GQ

--

So yes, there are gaps in our "Knowledge" of the universe, but they are actually only Gray Area Gaps in terms of physics, complexity of chaotic systems, and how exactly to infinite detail did the Big Bang happen from Quantum fluctuations of energy.

This can best be understood by the following example:

We know we are human and what we are made of, and where we relatively reside. However, we do not infinitely know everything there is about ourselves/species.. In fact we know more about the Chicken than we do about the ourselves on a scientific level. So are we human? Do we need to know the entire 100% of all the infinite information we could ever gain about ourselves to understand what we are? Or to make correct assumptions of what we are based on the available and already known knowledge of what we are?

Same principle applies to Earth.. We don't need to infinitely know everything about Earth to know it's a habitable planet in a solar system labeled "sol" so which resides in the Milky-way Galaxy amongst the billions of others...

And this is why the GOD of the Gaps argument is erroneous..

You can also not references:

Our own Universe has been measured to be flat with less than a 2 percent margin of error.

http://wmap.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_age.html

For clarity, like a disc floating in space similar to our own Galaxy but at a much grander scale. Thus the net Energy = zero (no lower than ground state).

Some Good source videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqb1lSdqRZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV33t8U6w28&feature=relmfu

Other resources:

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2848

http://icecube.wisc.edu/~halzen/notes/week1-3.pdf

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/lectures/early_univ.html

http://casswww.ucsd.edu/public/tutorial/Cosmology.html

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:02:06 AM by TheJackel » Logged
TheJackel

« Reply #2736 on: February 16, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »

Atheistic evolutionsists are like a mechanic who can explain every piece of the car engine and how it operates, but he has no idea why the car exists in the first place and he can't drive. But he fancies himself the  sole expert on cars simply because he can explain how (not why) the engine works.

And I would like to address this even further.. Wink How much of what I posted above do you think came from Atheists? Little hint, I included information from Christian scientists who don't see the need to cling to logical fallacies to the point of a total collapse of intellectual integrity.

I also had to debunk the supposed creationist scientist Sarfati in regards to Earth's Early Atmosphere here:

Genesis VS Science Part 2: Early Earth's Atmosphere
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2737 on: February 16, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »

^^ Thank you for demonstrating my point.

Selam

jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2738 on: February 16, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »

hey Jackel - i didnt see any Patristic sources in all your posts ...
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2739 on: February 16, 2011, 10:12:59 AM »

Which is at least more genuine than your misuse of Patristic sources.
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

« Reply #2740 on: February 16, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »

Pope Peter has spoken!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2741 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »

The best advice I can offer in such a discussion is to be amazed. Be amazed at the grandeur and the beauty of life. We should be in awe at its sophistication, and its almost mystical surprises. Debates of this kind usually go best when the people arguing have a deep-seeded love for nature. We should always be astounded by the fact that chickens lay eggs, for it is far stranger than any tale told in a nursery rhyme.
I thought it was important to reiterate this.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2742 on: February 16, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »

Pope Peter has spoken!
Y'know, you could at least address my reply without resorting to absurdly sarcastic ad hominems. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:15:43 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheJackel

« Reply #2743 on: February 16, 2011, 02:49:41 PM »

Patristics sources were required to establish evolution? lol... Ohh jeez, really?.. Good thing that Patristic sources weren't used because Bats aren't birds, and insects don't have 4 legs.  So when you get backed into a corner and can't handle a debate, you resort to irrelevance and off-topic pleading?.I can even give you the evolution of your own religion here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg&feature=player_embedded

The sources I provided for evolution come from Christians, and Non-Christians. And they at least have some level of intellectual integrity. So lets weigh the intellectual integrity here in this forum.

Evolution
Micro evolution
Macro evolution
Speciation
Natural Selection

1) Define those words I have provided above and post the definitions here for us. Yes, I want YOU to do this literally just so we all know that we comprehend the definitions of Evolution, Speciation, Natural Selection, Adaptation, Micro-evolution, and Macro-evolution ect..

2) Read the rest of my post to which has a good amount of information and examples in it..

3) Comeback here and then repost the definitions of: Evolution, Speciation, Natural Selection, Adaptation, Micro-evolution, and Macro-evolution ect..

4) Review them

5) Then reply to me in scientific methodology why you think evolution Wink

Also we can look at some more recent evolution in the human Genome:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=genome+evolution+in+human&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

Speciation in action:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/11/speciation-in-action/?npu=1&mbid=yhp

The length of a birds wings adapt to the changes in the environments to which they fly in:

http://www.conservationmaven.com/frontpage/birds-changing-wing-shape-as-possible-adaptation-to-environm.html

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:57:18 PM by TheJackel » Logged
TheJackel

« Reply #2744 on: February 16, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »

I thought it was important to reiterate this.

Not relevant at all to establishing evolution. Posting philosophical views do not at all address the issue. And sorry, but the people who actually study nature can be said to have a deep love for it, and thus nullifying any supposed intended argument within it's context. The quote reminds me of "Don't think, just believe and gawk".. "/
Tags: science Theory of Evolution evolution creationism cheval mort 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: