Author Topic: Old vs. New Calendar?  (Read 664328 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
  • Please pray for my family and for myself
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Old vs. New Calendar?
« Reply #2925 on: May 30, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
[The foundations of Pascha are pretty far from a Spring Full Moon celebration.
The foundations of Easter are closely liked to the season, the equinox, and the lunar phase.  In a way, the season, the sun, and the moon can be deemed to be celebrating Easter.  Some early fathers considered the season and the luminaries to be connected to the resurrection from the time of their creation.  The earth was created in springtime, since it "brought forth" vegetation.  The moon was created full because God would not make anything imperfect.  The night and the day, or for some, the sun and the moon, were created at equinox because God would not make them unequal.  The passion and the resurrection inaugurate the new creation, so its season recapitulates the first creation.
This is very interesting. I don' t think there is any reason, however, to be stuck to the initial foundations of the feast, which are relevant but IMO belong to history. They would make things more confusing, wouldn't make the celebration more special, significant or holy, and the average parishioner would be very far from acknowledging this particularity. Maybe if people had done it as soon as Pascha crossed the Equator it would be nice, but now it's been 500 years of Christianity and 200 of Orthodoxy.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

Offline Mockingbird

• Mimus polyglottos
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Episcopal Church
« Reply #2926 on: August 05, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »
[The foundations of Pascha are pretty far from a Spring Full Moon celebration.
The foundations of Easter are closely liked to the season, the equinox, and the lunar phase.  In a way, the season, the sun, and the moon can be deemed to be celebrating Easter.  Some early fathers considered the season and the luminaries to be connected to the resurrection from the time of their creation.  The earth was created in springtime, since it "brought forth" vegetation.  The moon was created full because God would not make anything imperfect.  The night and the day, or for some, the sun and the moon, were created at equinox because God would not make them unequal.  The passion and the resurrection inaugurate the new creation, so its season recapitulates the first creation.
This is very interesting. I don' t think there is any reason, however, to be stuck to the initial foundations of the feast, which are relevant but IMO belong to history. They would make things more confusing, wouldn't make the celebration more special, significant or holy, and the average parishioner would be very far from acknowledging this particularity. Maybe if people had done it as soon as Pascha crossed the Equator it would be nice, but now it's been 500 years of Christianity and 200 of Orthodoxy.
I hold that the festival should continue to be linked to the Spring season in one of two ways.  Either:

(1) The Paschal full moon for everyone should fall when "the sun is in [the astrological sign of] Aries", as Josephus wrote; in other words, when the sun's ecliptic longitude is between 0 and 30 degrees inclusive, or:

(2) Christians north of the tropic of Capricorn should celebrate as in policy (1) above, while Christians south of the Tropic of Capricorn should set the Paschal full moon to fall when the sun is in the astrological sign of Libra.
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.--Byrhtferth of Ramsey

Offline Mockingbird

• Mimus polyglottos
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Episcopal Church
« Reply #2927 on: October 08, 2016, 02:20:11 PM »
This article is correct as far as it goes, but there are two points on which I think it lacking:

1) It concentrates on the solar side of the calendar change and completely ignores the lunar side.  Lillius and Clavius didn't just knock 7 days of the solar calendar, they also made the moon to be about 3 days older than the old Julian tables had it;

2) The author seems unaware of the distinction between the overall average tropical year of 365.2422 days and the Spring equinox tropical year of 365.2424 days.  The Gregorian year of 365.2425 days seems to be intended to approximate the latter, not the former.

http://www.vox.com/2016/10/4/13147306/434th-gregorian-calendar-anniversary-google-doogle
Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.--Byrhtferth of Ramsey