OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:49:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miraculous Icons -- tested for validity?  (Read 1142 times) Average Rating: 0
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« on: January 30, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »

I was reminded of my interest in this topic by the thread on the "crying" Icon.

I'm a believer, of course, so this topic doesn't necessarily come from a place of unbelief.

So...I've seen the Iveron myrrh streaming icon at a church in my area (a year or so ago).  And I read about other instances of miraculous happenings.

I'm always curious: have these emissions (oil, tears, etc...) been tested in a laboratory?  I mean, I know they go through a Church process for determining authenticity, but...

Is no one else curious about the chemical makeup of these things?  For instance, if an icon is "crying," I want to know if the chemical makeup of that liquid is the same as human tears.  Etc. etc.

I would feel a lot better if I knew that unbiased, scientific means, were employed in order to determine the composition of the emissions AND any possible non-miraculous reasons for the "miracle."

Peace.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:21:29 PM »

i tried to use the search function to see if this had been covered.  I was unsuccessful.

Peace.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »

I'd be more worried that the "crying Icons" were demonic in nature opposed to godly. If Icons in my Church started crying I would probably leave and start praying.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:29:41 PM »

I'd be more worried that the "crying Icons" were demonic in nature opposed to godly. If Icons in my Church started crying I would probably leave and start praying.
Interesting point.  I think, though, that I'm most interested in the metaphysics of it in general.

Peace.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »

Why would a Weeping Icon be demonic?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »

If a laboratory has higher authority than the Church you need to check what you're actually worshiping.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »

If a laboratory has higher authority than the Church you need to check what you're actually worshiping.
is that supposed to be an answer or just a bit of self righeousness i should disregard?

Peace.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:13:42 PM »

You said "I'm a believer" and I just want to make sure that means you believe in God and not Sir Francis Bacon.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:18:21 PM »

You said "I'm a believer" and I just want to make sure that means you believe in God and not Sir Francis Bacon.
Uh yeah.  Let's see.  I believe in God -- check! And I believe that there was a historical person named Francis Bacon -- check!

Any other questions, Your Eminence?

Peace.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 06:21:03 PM »

I'm a believer, of course, so this topic doesn't necessarily come from a place of unbelief.

So...I've seen the Iveron myrrh streaming icon at a church in my area (a year or so ago).  And I read about other instances of miraculous happenings.

I'm always curious: have these emissions (oil, tears, etc...) been tested in a laboratory?  I mean, I know they go through a Church process for determining authenticity, but...

Is no one else curious about the chemical makeup of these things?  For instance, if an icon is "crying," I want to know if the chemical makeup of that liquid is the same as human tears.  Etc. etc.

I would feel a lot better if I knew that unbiased, scientific means, were employed in order to determine the composition of the emissions AND any possible non-miraculous reasons for the "miracle."

The Orthodox bishops are pretty consistent that weeping icons are not subjected to forensic testing.  Having witnessed weeping icons I would not expect them to be chemically identical to tears.  The tears are oily and strongly smell of incense/flowers/myrrh.  

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »

The Orthodox bishops are pretty consistent that weeping icons are not subjected to forensic testing.  Having witnessed weeping icons I would not expect them to be chemically identical to tears.  The tears are oily and strongly smell of incense/flowers/myrrh.  

Thanks for attempting to answer my actual, honest question.

Peace.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »

Having witnessed weeping icons I would not expect them to be chemically identical to tears.  The tears are oily and strongly smell of incense/flowers/myrrh.  
I have seen a myrrh streaming icon, and I can definitely vouch for the beautiful smell and the beauty of the experience, the blessing of it.

I can't help but wonder what the process is which determines the authenticity of the miraculous event, and preferably a joint validation (outside and inside the Church).

Peace.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »

To keep people focused on external signs than actual inner development? Same reason they make people speak gibberish in Charismatic churches.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »

Having witnessed weeping icons I would not expect them to be chemically identical to tears.  The tears are oily and strongly smell of incense/flowers/myrrh.  
I have seen a myrrh streaming icon, and I can definitely vouch for the beautiful smell and the beauty of the experience, the blessing of it.

I can't help but wonder what the process is which determines the authenticity of the miraculous event, and preferably a joint validation (outside and inside the Church).

My thoughts are that God won't allow the signs to happen in a labratory. In the Gospels, it seemed like Jesus only performed miracles and signs for people who had a humble disposition, but not just to satisfy curiousity or to the presence of unbelievers.

Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »

My thoughts are that God won't allow the signs to happen in a labratory. In the Gospels, it seemed like Jesus only performed miracles and signs for people who had a humble disposition, but not just to satisfy curiousity or to the presence of unbelievers.
I always feel mixed about this -- and I'm sure it has something to do with my sinfulness.  On one hand, I understand that reasoning.  On the other, I'm sure most folks with an awareness of history realize that these "tokens" have been used by authorities in the past to manipulate the faithful (usually by politically connected clergy - Western, in my reading, but also Eastern I'm sure).  It seems like a curiously insulated and circular process of self-verification, no?

Please excuse the crude example, but isn't it a bit like a CEO hiring/appointing a good friend to do an audit on his company?  "Yep, it all checks out as far as I can see" is a bit of a thin verification in that case isn't it?

Again, I'm not accusing anyone of anything (though fake relics and the like were quite popular in the middle ages), I'm just wondering.

Peace.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »

Several bishops have explained what they do:

First, the icon is taken to the Bishop's residence and placed in his chapel for at least one to three months.

Second, the icon is subjected to multiple exorcisms to rule out the demonic.

There have been several icons apparently where unscrupulous persons have admitted to anointing the icon daily with scented oil. That is why the icon is taken to the bishop's residence or his chapel, so it can be watched and sprinkled with holy water. I think the "miraculous icon" at the defrocked and now deceased Father Greene's Blanco, Texas monastery was proven to be a hoax where a certain monk made sure that the myrrh was flowing on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:35:26 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »

First, the icon is taken to the Bishop's residence and placed in his chapel for at least one to three months.

There have been several icons apparently where unscrupulous persons anointed the icon daily with scented oil. That is why the icon is taken to the bishop's residence or his chapel, so it can be watched and sprinkled with holy water.

From a Church perspective, this is a great, great protocol.

But again, I'm curious about verification of these miracles outside of the Church. 

Thank you, Maria, for that information.

Peace.
choy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 06:35:55 PM »

The same way that some Orthodox think that some of the Roman Catholic Marian apparitions are demonic.  Satan is the father of lies, I can't see why he wouldn't fool people into believing a miracle so that they would be deceived into taking a false path.  Even the devil can dress up as an angel of light.
choy
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »

There have been several icons apparently where unscrupulous persons anointed the icon daily with scented oil. That is why the icon is taken to the bishop's residence or his chapel, so it can be watched and sprinkled with holy water.

From a Church perspective, this is a great, great protocol.

But again, I'm curious about verification of these miracles outside of the Church. 

Thank you, Maria, for that information.

Outside the Church?  The scientific method here is to take apart the icon and try to find out the source of the tears/water/oil/etc.  I don't think the Church would want that.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »

Why involve people outside the Church?

Are you afraid of being hoaxed? Then don't bother with such icons. Our faith is not founded on miracles.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »

Scientifice "verification," which almways amounts to a "we have no idea how this could happen," does take place from time to time. But science deals with things which follow actual natural laws. Miracles are an overthrowing of those laws.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
choy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »

Scientifice "verification," which almways amounts to a "we have no idea how this could happen," does take place from time to time. But science deals with things which follow actual natural laws. Miracles are an overthrowing of those laws.

Some miracles do, some miracles don't.  I believe that God doesn't need to break the laws of physics which He himself created just to give us a blessing.  Sometimes he does need to do that, but not always.  I believe miracles can be something natural and "ordinary".
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »

Some miracles do, some miracles don't.  I believe that God doesn't need to break the laws of physics which He himself created just to give us a blessing.  Sometimes he does need to do that, but not always.  I believe miracles can be something natural and "ordinary".

By "miracles" I was using the narrower defination. Life itself is a miracle, of course, but that doesn't make the narrow definition inaccurate or meaningless.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 07:09:18 PM »

Marc is going to chime in about "scientific test" done by someone he knows the results of which miraculously disappeared but showed that the myrrh or whatever was not of this world.

Strange but likely not true.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »

Marc is going to chime in about "scientific test" done by someone he knows the results of which miraculously disappeared but showed that the myrrh or whatever was not of this world.

Strange but likely not true.

Strange you should mention that.
There was an issue of Conciliar Press' discontinued magazine Again, which discussed the miraculous icons of Christ Crucified and the Theotokos in Australia, which were tested by a lab. The oil that streamed from both icons was 100 percent pure olive oil and the lab tech had never seen such purity. The lab could never find the source of the aromatic flower scent.
Furthermore, that oil was used to anoint many sick who miraculously recovered.

Sorry, I do not remember the issue, but it was published in the late 1990s.

As I recall, the cover of said magazine had a picture of the Holy Cross which was shown flowing with holy myrrh.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:14:53 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 07:18:40 PM »

The oil that streamed from both icons was 100 percent pure olive oil and the lab tech had never seen such purity.
Maybe because it was real olive oil.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393070212

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 07:21:55 PM »

The oil that streamed from both icons was 100 percent pure olive oil and the lab tech had never seen such purity.
Maybe because it was real olive oil.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393070212

As it was explained in the article in Again Magazine, the lab stated that there are always natural impurities found in olive oil and that the best is 99 percent pure. Aromatic compounds or rancidity are the culprits. However, in the oil found streaming from these icons, they could not find the aromatic compound that would be responsible for the scent of flowers. The oil was 100 percent pure, which was a miracle in itself.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:22:42 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »

I would consider a forensic result of "we dont know how this is happening" to be a good result.

also, yes, of course one of my concerns is for hoaxes...but also out of genuine curiosity.

Peace.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 08:03:12 PM »

I would consider a forensic result of "we dont know how this is happening" to be a good result.

also, yes, of course one of my concerns is for hoaxes...but also out of genuine curiosity.

That is what the lab said. They could not offer any natural explanation for this miracle.
The miracle was so profound that they did not charge for the lab testing.
They were grateful that they were chosen to perform these tests.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:03:54 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »

Here's my experience. There is such an icon at a church in NE Pennsylvania. The icon has been streaming steadily for more than a year. Every week a Moleben to their Theotokas is offered and annointing follows. The church is packed, the singing is heartfelt and the entire experience is incredible. The parish in question formed during a most bitter dispute with the Greek Catholics. The feuding  continued for decades. Anyway people of many faiths come.  Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Byzantine Catholics and even Protestants ... I would call it experiential self-validation in a sense.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 08:49:13 PM »

Here's my experience. There is such an icon at a church in NE Pennsylvania. The icon has been streaming steadily for more than a year. Every week a Moleben to their Theotokas is offered and annointing follows. The church is packed, the singing is heartfelt and the entire experience is incredible. The parish in question formed during a most bitter dispute with the Greek Catholics. The feuding  continued for decades. Anyway people of many faiths come.  Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Byzantine Catholics and even Protestants ... I would call it experiential self-validation in a sense.

That would appear demonic if it is attracting people of all faiths. We know that the Holy Spirit only works within the Orthodox Church, the thought that it is working and coming to all of those other people from different religions seems like demons trying to promote false ecumenism.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 08:52:13 PM »

That would appear demonic if it is attracting people of all faiths. We know that the Holy Spirit only works within the Orthodox Church, the thought that it is working and coming to all of those other people from different religions seems like demons trying to promote false ecumenism.

Blasphemy.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 09:21:32 PM »

Blasphemy.

Indeed!  Angry

Obviously James has not considered the distinct possibility that some of these non-Orthodox folks might, just might, be transformed by the experience, and embrace the true faith ....  Roll Eyes
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »

Blasphemy.

Indeed!  Angry

Obviously James has not considered the distinct possibility that some of these non-Orthodox folks might, just might, be transformed by the experience, and embrace the true faith ....  Roll Eyes

When you should be ironic, you are not, when you shouldn't, you are.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 11:01:21 PM »

Submitting an icon to a laboratory would be "tempting the Lord your God" in my book.

Matthew 4:7, Deuteronomy 6:16.

Also, I really don't think it would help people's faith - it could easily do the opposite.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:01:37 PM by Hinterlander » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 11:03:33 PM »

Submitting an icon to a laboratory would be "tempting the Lord your God" in my book.

Also, I really don't think it would help people's faith - it could easily do the opposite.  
No, exposing fraud is not tempting the Lord.

And yes, several icons have been tested, and cleared of fraud.

The first thing the bishop did when he came to investigate the one at the Antiochian Church (at the time the only one) here, he first performed an exorcism, to make sure what supernatural powers were at work.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:05:18 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 07:00:45 AM »

The first thing the bishop did when he came to investigate the one at the Antiochian Church (at the time the only one) here, he first performed an exorcism, to make sure what supernatural powers were at work.

At which church was that from ?. Also, once the exorcisms are performed on the icon does this pretty much sterilize the icon of any demonic powers?, and if it continues to flow does it mean that the icon weeping is from God ?.

What also captivates me to think the weeping icons are from God is that they also have healing ability, is that true?.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:03:12 AM by psalm110 » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 07:15:20 AM »

A dear friend, one of whom introduced me to Orthodoxy, has spoken to me about one such icon he has seen.  He is a very discerning person, so I do not doubt his story.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 07:21:54 AM »

Blasphemy.

Why do you think JamesR is Blasphemying?

Blasphemy.

Indeed!  Angry

Obviously James has not considered the distinct possibility that some of these non-Orthodox folks might, just might, be transformed by the experience, and embrace the true faith ....  Roll Eyes

If people focus on icons/saints or the miracles which God manifested through the icons/saints, but not focus on God Himself.  They are indeeded worshipping the idols (demons).

And I don't think the miracles  (which God manifested on icons) can build the true faith. In New testament, most of the Isarelities saw or experienced the miracles which Jesus performed , but they still nailed Him on cross. In Five Book of Mose, all Isarelities had seen and experienced a lot of great miracles when Moses led them to leave the Egypt,but they still did not trust God and follow His will.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:42:35 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 09:09:35 AM »

yes, thank you.

that's great to hear, thank you.

Peace.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 09:22:23 AM »

Matthew 8:4
And Jesus said to him, “See that you tell no one; but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”

Yes, We have to cleared of fraud.Even Jesus asked the one He healed to see the priest and check His body in order to clarify whether the miracles is true or not.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »

Blasphemy.

Indeed!  Angry

Agreed. I, for one one, do not doubt that the Theotokas has abundant love for all of God's people. To arrogantly assume that her manifestation could not be a means of healing fractured souls, hearts , families, communities appears to me to be reflective  more of something dark and 'demonic' rather than a simple Church full of people seeking truth,peace and healing of body and soul.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »

By "laboratory" you thought I meant a bishop's investigation? 

By laboratory I was following the thread which was speaking of a sophisticated scientific analysis.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »

Yes, the Myrah from the Hawaiian Streaming Icon has been lab tested. The combinations were impossible to replicate in all practicality and at least one part was impossible to identify, with no earthly corollary.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »

Yes, the Myrah from the Hawaiian Streaming Icon has been lab tested. The combinations were impossible to replicate in all practicality and at least one part was impossible to identify, with no earthly corollary.
Wow!  That is fascinating.  Where did you hear/read about this?

Peace.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: