OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 08:13:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old believer liturgy in Kremlin Cathedral of the Assumption  (Read 743 times) Average Rating: 0
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« on: January 30, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »

I found out that the Old Believers did a liturgy in the Kremlin Cathedral of the Assumption on January 12th

(they thanked the Patriarchate as seen here : http://www.pravmir.com/common-faith-old-believers-thank-patriarch-kirill-for-opportunity-to-celebrate-according-to-old-rites-at-the-kremlin-cathedral-of-the-assumption/ )

I am wondering if there are any recordings of this event? I have never seen an Old Believer liturgy, but I do know I prefer their chanting compared to the opera stuff done today. . . .

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »

Unfortunately I haven't heard about any recording from the event (I would love to listen to/watch it).

Here you can find some interesting recordings of Old Believers' chant and Liturgies. Unfortunately, they're not in communion with canonical Churches

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »

Unfortunately I haven't heard about any recording from the event (I would love to listen to/watch it).

Here you can find some interesting recordings of Old Believers' chant and Liturgies. Unfortunately, they're not in communion with canonical Churches
some are
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yedinoverie
there's a community (one at least) in the US.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »

some are

I know Wink Even the event is about those in the Communion with us and what's more, it was in Russia. I meant these particular ones from the youtube canal I've posted.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »

compared to the opera stuff done today. . . .

There was a time in the recent past (1950s-1960s) where many Russian church choirmasters, especially P. I. Spassky of the Paris Cathedral,  favored a florid, overblown baroque style which became prevalent in Russia in the 18th and 19th centuries. Thank God that this fashion seems to have greatly diminished, as a great deal of Russian liturgical music sung these days, in parish churches and monasteries, is not at all operatic in style.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »

some are

I know Wink Even the event is about those in the Communion with us and what's more, it was in Russia. I meant these particular ones from the youtube canal I've posted.

Here in the States there are a few (I can only name one though) parishes that are Russian Orthodox but are allowed to use the pre-nikhonian liturgy. 

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 06:36:30 AM »

With sincere filial love we dare ask Your Holiness to continue showing your mercy for us so that in the future as well we could have an opportunity to ask for your blessing upon conciliar celebrations according to the old rite at the old time monuments of general significance for the church history.

We express our unanimous wish to ask Your Holiness to lead a prayer service according to the old rite at the relics of St. Sergius of Radonezh or other shrine of the Old Russia on a day chosen by Your Holiness’.

Was that really an Old Believer liturgy instead of Old Rite liturgy celebrated by MP clergy? I don't know much about Old Believers but I thought their relations with MP are not that irenic with common prayers and all that.

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »

With sincere filial love we dare ask Your Holiness to continue showing your mercy for us so that in the future as well we could have an opportunity to ask for your blessing upon conciliar celebrations according to the old rite at the old time monuments of general significance for the church history.

We express our unanimous wish to ask Your Holiness to lead a prayer service according to the old rite at the relics of St. Sergius of Radonezh or other shrine of the Old Russia on a day chosen by Your Holiness’.

Was that really an Old Believer liturgy instead of Old Rite liturgy celebrated by MP clergy? I don't know much about Old Believers but I thought their relations with MP are not that irenic with common prayers and all that.

I don't know. All I could tell is it was old rite so i just assumed it must have been some sort of old believers so I might easily be wrong.

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »

Old Rite.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:46:37 PM »

The Russian Orthodox Church has, since the 19th century, blessed the use of the Old Rite for missionary purposes, to bring the Raskol'niki back into the Church.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: