OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 01:51:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frank Schaeffer is Orthodox  (Read 5764 times) Average Rating: 0
adampjr
Karamazov

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« on: January 30, 2013, 05:53:35 AM »

Firstly, I am not trying to just slam the guy personally. But I find the following concerning, and wonder if this is type of thing prevelant in Orthodoxy. I say this as a serious inquirer and somewhat regular visitor, and hopeful future convert who is coming from Reformed Protestantism.

As an introduction, Frank Schaeffer is the son of famous (at least here in America) Evangelical Christian Francis Schaeffer, who was a big early proponent of the Christian Right here. Long story short, he left that environment, became a political liberal (which is of course fine, I'm not trying to make this expressly political), and regularly expresses some usually false and vitriolic hatred for conservative Christians.

As far as I can tell pro-choice (I know there are Christians who disagree with me about this, no big deal - he's certainly more anti-pro-life than anything else) and pro-gay marriage. However, his biggest contribution to the whole editorial scene of this country is his consistent charge (borne out in multiple books) that Protestant Christians are women haters who fear female sexuality.  Now, that's of course factually false since the Reformed position on sexuality is quite clear and even on both sexes. Besides findign that charge offensive, I fail to see how that does not equally apply to his church if it does at all. After all, you allhave two notions that are wholly foreign to modern Protestantism (no pre-fall sexuality and the Ever-Virginity of Mary) which seem to be along the lines of what Schaeffer is saying. Schaeffer, in taking the opposite position from Evangelicals (monogamy) that he is in favor or looser sexuality. You will find that he is actually extremely coy about saying what he is actually for in the midst of condemning evangelicals. It is his attitudes on sexuality and sexual sin I find most concerning, more so than political issues aobut how the state particularly should handle those issues.

So, a few questions. 1. Is this guy a communicant member of the orthodox church? 2. Is this sort of stuff concerning to orthodox or only to Protestants? 3. Is this at all a common attitude towards sexuality in Orthodox circles? It appers NOT to be from reading orthodox sources and meeting people at the parish I visit (who ahve never said "Oh you're background is Reformed? You must hate women and we support liscentiousness."
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:07:14 AM »

So, a few questions. 1. Is this guy a communicant member of the orthodox church?
I think so. There's a thread around here where people obsess over his latest writings.

I know his father was Christian famous and Franky was Ortho-famous because he wrote that mediocre book and gave some mediocre talks a while back, but I personally find the lay obsession with his fall from lay-grace a little strange.
2. Is this sort of stuff concerning to orthodox or only to Protestants? 3. Is this at all a common attitude towards sexuality in Orthodox circles?
To some.

The stance of the Church on sex is what it is (though it has generally evolved historically from 'all sex is icky' to 'married sex is OK'). Some people -- and on this forum, a lot lately -- don't care for it. In reality, there's a mixture of people who keep what to what are the traditional sexual mores and a larger portion of those who don't. So the situation on the ground is pretty much the same as you would see in Protestant circles.

It appers NOT to be from reading orthodox sources and meeting people at the parish I visit (who ahve never said "Oh you're background is Reformed? You must hate women and we support liscentiousness."
It's not generally considered polite to push social policy at coffee hour.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:08:08 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:20:47 AM »

Frank Schaeffer's historical and theological apologetics for the Orthdox Faith are excellent. But when he delves into politics and social commentary, he goes off the deep end. His political and social views are obviously shaped from his personal bitterness from the negative experiences he endured growing up in his father's quasi-cult. When he articulates the historicity of the Orthodox Church, he remains objective and is a wonderful defender of the Faith. But his objectivity quickly evaporates when he discusses political and social topics.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
adampjr
Karamazov

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »

So, a few questions. 1. Is this guy a communicant member of the orthodox church?
I think so. There's a thread around here where people obsess over his latest writings.

I know his father was Christian famous and Franky was Ortho-famous because he wrote that mediocre book and gave some mediocre talks a while back, but I personally find the lay obsession with his fall from lay-grace a little strange.
2. Is this sort of stuff concerning to orthodox or only to Protestants? 3. Is this at all a common attitude towards sexuality in Orthodox circles?
To some.

The stance of the Church on sex is what it is (though it has generally evolved historically from 'all sex is icky' to 'married sex is OK'). Some people -- and on this forum, a lot lately -- don't care for it. In reality, there's a mixture of people who keep what to what are the traditional sexual mores and a larger portion of those who don't. So the situation on the ground is pretty much the same as you would see in Protestant circles.

It appers NOT to be from reading orthodox sources and meeting people at the parish I visit (who ahve never said "Oh you're background is Reformed? You must hate women and we support liscentiousness."
It's not generally considered polite to push social policy at coffee hour.

I don't know the proper Orthodox opinion on Protestants, I'd like to believe that Protestants still love and worship the same God, albeit in a strange and erroneous way, but out of a good heart. And as a current-former Protestant with many friends who are good Christians, I generally take serious offense to Schaeffer's comments about us and was flabbergasted to find he was Orthodox (I had put him in that traditional "I grew up Christian and now I'm not so imma act like a bitter toddler" camp of former Christian atheists I know all too well). But its not really the political thing that concerns me, since I dont think there is an Orthodox opinion on internal national politics like this. It's the open support for sexual immorality and the condemnation of those who oppose what sexual immorality that I find most offensive coming from a Christian, and concerning as someone looking into Orthodox Christianity in particular.

Thanks for the response.
adampjr
Karamazov

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:03:02 AM »

Frank Schaeffer's historical and theological apologetics for the Orthdox Faith are excellent. But when he delves into politics and social commentary, he goes off the deep end. His political and social views are obviously shaped from his personal bitterness from the negative experiences he endured growing up in his father's quasi-cult. When he articulates the historicity of the Orthodox Church, he remains objective and is a wonderful defender of the Faith. But his objectivity quickly evaporates when he discusses political and social topics.

Selam

Thanks to you as well. I might try and look into his orthodox stuff, but I'd have a hard time hearing him out after all the insults he's slung my way.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:32:37 AM »

I though he is an apostate now? There was some thread about it a while ago.

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »

Pretty much any discussion on "Protestants" is doomed to failure since there is really no such thing as a unified religion.  Most Confessional Lutheran (the original Protestants) would consider most of the "protestant" views held by the Shaeffers as heretical.  So would probably any main line Protestant confession of, lets say, around 1900.  I never much cared for "Franky", although my parents darn near worshiped his father.  I came into the Orthodox Church along with a big surge of Protestants of many stripes in the early to mid '90s.  It seemed like there was a big deal made about "big names" converting to Orthodoxy.  Problem is, they never really seem all that converted to me.  They seemed like a bunch of wild eyed Charismatics and Evangelicals trying to find their idea of the "early Church" rather than anyone that had any real theological roots.  I was told by a couple of Orthodox Priests that they prefered Lutheran converts since most of them did not come into the Orthodox Church looking for some magical emotional religion, but came into the Church after being convinced by the Scriptures and the Fathers that they were wrong.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
adampjr
Karamazov

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »

Pretty much any discussion on "Protestants" is doomed to failure since there is really no such thing as a unified religion.  Most Confessional Lutheran (the original Protestants) would consider most of the "protestant" views held by the Shaeffers as heretical.  So would probably any main line Protestant confession of, lets say, around 1900.  I never much cared for "Franky", although my parents darn near worshiped his father.  I came into the Orthodox Church along with a big surge of Protestants of many stripes in the early to mid '90s.  It seemed like there was a big deal made about "big names" converting to Orthodoxy.  Problem is, they never really seem all that converted to me.  They seemed like a bunch of wild eyed Charismatics and Evangelicals trying to find their idea of the "early Church" rather than anyone that had any real theological roots.  I was told by a couple of Orthodox Priests that they prefered Lutheran converts since most of them did not come into the Orthodox Church looking for some magical emotional religion, but came into the Church after being convinced by the Scriptures and the Fathers that they were wrong.

True, Protestant covers a wide variety of church groups as well as independent local churches. I come from the Calvinist Reformed tradition, and was largely led by Scripture and historical reading to visit the Orthodox parish.
I never cared much for Francis Schaeffer personally, but I find his son entirely offensive.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »

I think a very short answer to your question is that if you are interested in Orthodoxy and what the Orthodox Church teaches, you are better off with sources other than Frank Schaeffer.  It is best to speak with a parish priest and read books written by the saints and Fathers of the Church, both contemporary and ancient.  Most contemporary books by contemporary authors are garbage, to be honest.   
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 10:50:45 AM »

if you are interested in Orthodoxy and what the Orthodox Church teaches, you are better off with sources other than Frank Schaeffer. It is best to speak with a parish priest and read books written by the saints and Fathers of the Church, both contemporary and ancient.

Dare I say that the best and most accessible source of what the Church truly teaches and believes is what is read, chanted and sung in the cycle of services, and what is depicted in canonical icons. A good priest can use this basis as a sound foundation for any serious enquirer.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:51:43 AM by LBK » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:45 AM »

I never even heard of Frank or his father until I became Orthodox! I read one of his books - that was enough.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:52:15 AM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »

His political and social views are obviously shaped from his personal bitterness from the negative experiences he endured growing up in his father's quasi-cult.
This.

It seemed like there was a big deal made about "big names" converting to Orthodoxy.  Problem is, they never really seem all that converted to me.  They seemed like a bunch of wild eyed Charismatics and Evangelicals trying to find their idea of the "early Church" rather than anyone that had any real theological roots.  I was told by a couple of Orthodox Priests that they prefered Lutheran converts since most of them did not come into the Orthodox Church looking for some magical emotional religion, but came into the Church after being convinced by the Scriptures and the Fathers that they were wrong.
We do love to parade our converts who bring name recognition. It's like they validate the faith or something.

While I appreciate a well-spoken apologist for the faith as much as anyone, I wonder at the good it does to give relatively recent converts like Troy Pol-whatever and Jonathan Jackson so much attention. I don’t mean to comment on the state of their conversion  — I don’t know them and likely will never meet either — and hope only the best for them, but I find the tendency among Orthodox converts to jump on a fan bandwagon of someone semi-famous because they have become Orthodox to be something worth taking a moment to examine. Franky was once considered our golden boy, after all.

Some posters here declared him apostate. None of us actually knows.

I don't know the proper Orthodox opinion on Protestants, I'd like to believe that Protestants still love and worship the same God, albeit in a strange and erroneous way, but out of a good heart.
I think that's the general opinion. Or at least my opinion. We don't have a dogmatic statement about it.

And as a current-former Protestant with many friends who are good Christians, I generally take serious offense to Schaeffer's comments about us and was flabbergasted to find he was Orthodox (I had put him in that traditional "I grew up Christian and now I'm not so imma act like a bitter toddler" camp of former Christian atheists I know all too well). But its not really the political thing that concerns me, since I dont think there is an Orthodox opinion on internal national politics like this. It's the open support for sexual immorality and the condemnation of those who oppose what sexual immorality that I find most offensive coming from a Christian, and concerning as someone looking into Orthodox Christianity in particular.
Franky is not a spokesman for the Church. He's just some dude with a bully pulpit.

If you ask most laymen on the ground what the Church says about sex (again, not that it ever actually gets talked about in church), they'll give you some variant of the traditional arrangement, even if they don't necessarily agree with it themselves — I guess like Bad Catholics™. And of course many people do agree with it, even when they fail. And some don't fail.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »

I would hope everyone here recognizes that no one validates Franky's claims against his father. While it's true that Francis had quite the temper - a fact that's not hidden - Franky embellished quite a bit. To say that Francis had a "quasi-cult" is quite insulting and ignorant.

I know Franky's sisters and brother-in-laws. I even know the priest who helped lead Franky to Orthodoxy. Franky is a very angry person, but that anger is misdirected. To date, not a single one of the Schaeffer children or those who grew up around the Schaeffers has validated many of Franky's statements on L'Abri. In his bitterness, he's exaggerating or, in some instances, lying about what he "endured."

All that said, I fail to see how this would prevent Franky from being Orthodox. All of us lie and are unjustifiably angry in our own way, so if he's prohibited from communion for such things, then all should be prohibited.

As a side note, anyone who has taken the time to read through Francis Schaeffer's entire works and listened to his lectures could see that he was easily moving towards Orthodoxy. It's no accident that Franky moved in that direction. Francis Schaeffer has been a major influence on my life and I dare say it's his teachings that directed me to Orthodoxy. Now that I'm reading Orthodox philosophers that predate Schaeffer (and one who was his contemporary, Fr. Seraphim Rose), it's difficult to see a difference.

A final note: Schaeffer was not a supporter of the Religious Right, nor did he influence it. The Religious Right was a bastardized message from Schaeffer's A Christian Manifesto. Almost everyone who followed Schaeffer and knew him personally has come to condemn the Religious Right for invoking his name and message in their twisted movement. In fact, much of what Schaeffer taught concerning Christian political action and the theory behind it is antithetical to the Religious Right's own approach.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
Nikolai Sergeev

Jurisdiction: Arkhangelsk and Holmogorskya Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 11:53:50 PM »

I hadn't known the guy till I found an interview with him on youtube (pops up first when you type in "orthodox" in the search field). He struck me as a very intelligent person and a good speaker. The video was on Orthodoxy vs Protestantism of course.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:54:22 PM by Nikolai Sergeev » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 04:23:53 PM »

Don't get hung up on Ortho-famous folks, from anywhere, unless they have "St." in front of their name.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 01:22:06 AM »

Well, I for one will voice the opinion that Mr. Schaeffer for his heretical views deserves discipline from his bishop, excommunication being a means to that end if necessary. I wish him the best - but I for one have little interest in bishops who offer poor leadership toward their flock.

People such as Mr. Schaeffer are scandalous and depressing and I understand why they might frighten off newcomers from taking the Church seriously.  Undecided 

We're here for our own salvation, but if a bishop isnt doing his job -  somebody better say something to him in an organized manner.

Sometimes bishops dont do their job because laity doesnt do it's job either.

We're all in this together !!

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 01:28:34 AM »

If thats true that my previous post is irrelevant. C'est la vie. Mr. Schaeffer was participating in some ecumenical affair at the Marymount Univeristy in Los Angeles run by jesuits. That university is poison for orthodox, it REALLY very heterodox. I seem to recall people involved in the institute their or at least their professor friends down the hall endorse women priests and other tricks of the enemy.

If there is to be ecumenism with RC's it better at least be those representing authentic genuine RC patrimony, not the inhumane liberal protestants who snuck inside the trojan horse of vat. II and pretend to be RC.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:30:06 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »

Selam

Yes, he should stick to religion and spare us his political views.....
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »

Why I Am Not an Atheist” with Frank Schaeffer

Is atheism a belief system in itself? Author and speaker Frank Schaeffer says yes. And in this course he explains why belief in Christ makes better sense of the world than no belief at all.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »

Selam

On another note, I was wonderin about you that I had not seen you on here for a while, course it is probably my fault as I have been hiding in the silly sections, call it pennance in reverse, annyway I was happy to see you posting, speaking about writers though, have you read anything by Marcus Borg?

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »

Selam

On another note, I was wonderin about you that I had not seen you on here for a while, course it is probably my fault as I have been hiding in the silly sections, call it pennance in reverse, annyway I was happy to see you posting, speaking about writers though, have you read anything by Marcus Borg?

Thanks. Nice to know that somebody is actually glad to see me posting.  Smiley 

No, I have never heard of Marcus Borg. I will look him up.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »

Selam

No, I have never heard of Marcus Borg.
Resistance is futile.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »

Selam

Resistance is futile.

But he comes across as such a nice, non-confrontational guy!  Cool

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:11 PM »

Selam

Resistance is futile.

Are you guys talking about me or Marcus Borg?  Huh

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »

Selam

Thanks. Nice to know that somebody is actually glad to see me posting.  Smiley  

Resistance is futile.

But he comes across as such a nice, non-confrontational guy!  Cool

Are you guys talking about me or Marcus Borg?  Huh

Selam
Borg.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:58:35 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »

Selam

Resistance is futile.

Are you guys talking about me or Marcus Borg?  Huh

Selam

Mr. Borg, though you're also nice  Grin

As an aside, I remember the first time I saw that "The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1" episode...  my 11 year old mind was blown that night...

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 10:25:33 PM »

Selam

Resistance is futile.

Selam

Mr. Borg, though you're also nice  Grin

As an aside, I remember the first time I saw that "The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1" episode...  my 11 year old mind was blown that night...

Thanks for saying I'm nice.  Smiley

A cursory glance at Wikipedia leads me to believe that Borg is not somebody I would be fond of. I'm not too simpatico with the "Jesus Seminar" crowd.

Selam
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:26:16 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:28 PM »

Firstly, I am not trying to just slam the guy personally. But I find the following concerning, and wonder if this is type of thing prevelant in Orthodoxy. I say this as a serious inquirer and somewhat regular visitor, and hopeful future convert who is coming from Reformed Protestantism.

As an introduction, Frank Schaeffer is the son of famous (at least here in America) Evangelical Christian Francis Schaeffer, who was a big early proponent of the Christian Right here. Long story short, he left that environment, became a political liberal (which is of course fine, I'm not trying to make this expressly political), and regularly expresses some usually false and vitriolic hatred for conservative Christians.

As far as I can tell pro-choice (I know there are Christians who disagree with me about this, no big deal - he's certainly more anti-pro-life than anything else) and pro-gay marriage. However, his biggest contribution to the whole editorial scene of this country is his consistent charge (borne out in multiple books) that Protestant Christians are women haters who fear female sexuality.  Now, that's of course factually false since the Reformed position on sexuality is quite clear and even on both sexes. Besides findign that charge offensive, I fail to see how that does not equally apply to his church if it does at all. After all, you allhave two notions that are wholly foreign to modern Protestantism (no pre-fall sexuality and the Ever-Virginity of Mary) which seem to be along the lines of what Schaeffer is saying. Schaeffer, in taking the opposite position from Evangelicals (monogamy) that he is in favor or looser sexuality. You will find that he is actually extremely coy about saying what he is actually for in the midst of condemning evangelicals. It is his attitudes on sexuality and sexual sin I find most concerning, more so than political issues aobut how the state particularly should handle those issues.

So, a few questions. 1. Is this guy a communicant member of the orthodox church? 2. Is this sort of stuff concerning to orthodox or only to Protestants? 3. Is this at all a common attitude towards sexuality in Orthodox circles? It appers NOT to be from reading orthodox sources and meeting people at the parish I visit (who ahve never said "Oh you're background is Reformed? You must hate women and we support liscentiousness."

If you read Frank's book: Portofino, this would give you a little bit of insight to his own sexuality, at least as a adolescent.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »

Selam

Resistance is futile.

Assimilations are on Sunday.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »

Selam

Resistance is futile.

Selam

Mr. Borg, though you're also nice  Grin

As an aside, I remember the first time I saw that "The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1" episode...  my 11 year old mind was blown that night...

Thanks for saying I'm nice.  Smiley

A cursory glance at Wikipedia leads me to believe that Borg is not somebody I would be fond of. I'm not too simpatico with the "Jesus Seminar" crowd.

Selam

I would say from what I have read about the Jesus seminars, I too would not recommend that to anyone.

But I have read a few New Testament Scholars, and few are what I would recommend.

But I recently came across, Jesus: A New Vision, 1987 by Marcus Borg and I say that of all the New testament Scholars now living, he comes very close to what I believe is good for Christians who want to understand more without being led astray. He was also the only one recommended by another of today's acknowledged NT Scholars, N.T. Wright.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »

"Jesus: A New Vision"? No thanks, the 2000-year-old Orthodox vision of Him is the only one I'm interested in.  
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:25:06 PM by LBK » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 10:48:50 PM »

Borg is a mystic.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »

Borg is a mystic.

Which, these days, can mean almost anything.  Tongue
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 01:02:32 AM »

I think a very short answer to your question is that if you are interested in Orthodoxy and what the Orthodox Church teaches, you are better off with sources other than Frank Schaeffer.  It is best to speak with a parish priest and read books written by the saints and Fathers of the Church, both contemporary and ancient.  Most contemporary books by contemporary authors are garbage, to be honest.   

True.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 01:04:55 AM »

Borg is a mystic.

Which, these days, can mean almost anything.  Tongue

Mystic crystal revelations from the dawning of the Age of Aquarius.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 12:01:13 AM »

Speaking of Borg...anyone ever hear this by Bjork and Tavener? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEhq3rkbVr8
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:05:44 AM by Seraphim98 » Logged
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 02:22:15 AM »

Who is Frank Schaeffer??

oh well

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 11:19:13 AM »

If I was to compile a list of Orthodox people who the attention they get is disproportionate to their actual influence in Orthodoxy or the world at large, Frankie would be near the top. Maybe that football player, too.

frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »

I never even heard of Frank or his father until I became Orthodox! I read one of his books - that was enough.

Neither had I, although I was a Methodist until I was 16 then became an Episcopalian until I was 28 when I converted to Orthodoxy. I think that there should be a rule that converts to Orthodoxy may not write articles or books until they have been Orthodox for several years. I would have to spend my life defining myself with the message that I am not my father the way that Schaeffer sdoes. My impression of him is that he is after publicity. When he first converted he published a newspaper that I would not distribute to my people because it was so right wing politically. That must not have gotten him the attention that he wanted, for he now has embraced the political left and writes for such left wing publications as the Huffington Post.

I heard him speak after he first converted. He was filled with anger against Protestantism. I do not know his status, but many of the ideas that he expresses are not faithful to the teachings of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

Fr. John W. Morris
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 01:24:28 PM »

My problem with Frank Schaeffer is not his anger at evangelical Protestantism. That is quite understandable, especially considering his quasi-cultish upbringing. My problem is that he has thrown the baby out with the bathwater, and in reactionary fashion he has promoted a thinly disguised liberal political agenda as if it is Orthodox Teaching.

However, I must say that I think many of us are guilty of doing a similar thing. Most of us have strong political and social opinions, and we try our best to defend those opinions with Orthodox doctrine. Heck, that's basically what this forum is all about. Frank Schaeffer just happens to have a larger audience than the rest of us.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »

Schaeffer has returned to being an artist, after a 30-year hiatus. He does mostly oil on canvas.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Green_Umbrella

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 09:03:18 PM »

Who is Frank Schaeffer??

oh well

A pro abortion, pro so called same sex marriage fruit who writes for left wing rags.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2014, 12:26:54 AM »

Who is Frank Schaeffer??

oh well

A pro abortion, pro so called same sex marriage fruit who writes for left wing rags.

But how will he distinguish himself from other Orthocelebrities?

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2014, 02:14:44 PM »

Head's up: Schaeffer's new book is due out in May. Title: Why I'm an Atheist Who Believes in God: How to Create Beauty, Give Love and Find Peace. Should be interesting.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »

Head's up: Schaeffer's new book is due out in May. Title: Why I'm an Atheist Who Believes in God: How to Create Beauty, Give Love and Find Peace. Should be interesting.

Strange title.

Lazar Puhalo's Youtube channel uploading something with Frank Shaeffer recently.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: