OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 02:10:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converters, have you ever felt this way ?  (Read 659 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
OC.net guru

« on: January 20, 2014, 12:54:37 AM »

English is my second language, sorry for the misspelling.

I was Catholic for about a year now, I didn't go to the RCIA, I wasn't baptized yet.

But I already feel joy and sadness at the same time, joy that I'm getting closer and closer to the truth, but at the same time there is state of sadness that I have to leave the Catholic Church that I loved so much.

Also, I feel some disappointment toward myself, because it seems as if my faith in the Catholic Church wasn't as strong as I thought it was. One member here asked " Well....that was quick ". and that also made me ask myself; If I ever was a Catholic in the first place? , because my faith in the Church have collapsed that easy, but also I can't deny that what I found out in the last few days is enough to shake my faith in the Church, the Papacy of Rome is one of the most vital things in the Catholic Church, and for that to turn out to be false, then what left ?!

So, converters, have you ever had that feeling of shock and sadness ? How did you deal with it ?

Please remember me in your prayers.

Peace.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:00:32 AM by Raylight » Logged
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:53:45 AM »

Yes, I felt that way when I left the RCC. It was incredibly painful at the time, but I guess the good side is that it provided me with a good foundation from which to learn Orthodoxy, because there are many things that the RC and Orthodox share, even if they have different understandings of them (e.g., saints, intercession, the belief that the bread and wine truly become the body and blood of Christ in the liturgy, the veneration of icons, etc). When I was still a catechumen, one of the Ethiopians that used to attend the Coptic Church here even said "I thought you must have some Orthodox in your family, since you don't have the same questions or level of knowledge that most non-Orthodox have about Orthodoxy." She was surprised when I told her that, no, there are no Orthodox in my background, only Roman Catholics and Protestants. Smiley

I can't give advice other than to pray and talk to any Orthodox people you might meet and take encouragement from them, and from the saints. Trust that God will comfort you and ease your pain so that you may one day look back on your time in the RC with gratefulness that your time in it prepared you to enter the holy Orthodox Church of God.

Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 01:55:46 AM »

Lord, have mercy on your servant Raylight.

When ever we leave something there is sadness, when I left my former church I had been there 20 years, I gave up my ministerial credential, I was sad. But as I needed to be reminded my beliefs aren't mine to hold because I want to, truth is God's and I must surrender even what I believe to Him. I still miss some of the former things sometimes, but the joy I have in where I am now is greater, and even more, so is the truth I have now. I will not go back.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:11:01 AM by Maximum Bob » Logged

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:00:56 AM »

English is my second language, sorry for the misspelling.

I was Catholic for about a year now, I didn't go to the RCIA, I wasn't baptized yet.

But I already feel joy and sadness at the same time, joy that I'm getting closer and closer to the truth, but at the same time there is state of sadness that I have to leave the Catholic Church that I loved so much.

Also, I feel some disappointment toward myself, because it seems as if my faith in the Catholic Church wasn't as strong as I thought it was. One member here asked " Well....that was quick ". and that also made me ask myself; If I ever was a Catholic in the first place? , because my faith in the Church have collapsed that easy, but also I can't deny that what I found out in the last few days is enough to shake my faith in the Church, the Papacy of Rome is one of the most vital things in the Catholic Church, and for that to turn out to be false, then what left ?!

So, converters, have you ever had that feeling of shock and sadness ? How did you deal with it ?

Please remember me in your prayers.

Peace.

I felt great sadness, and yet almost a sense of euphoria in that I was finally discovering the truth.

In order to stay grounded in the truth, I had to spend more time in prayer and in reading the Bible (especially the New Testament). Prayer is essential.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 04:45:10 AM »

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only who have this feeling.

Thanks to all of you. I will keep praying to God to help and guide me, also I believe now that with time the feeling might go away.

Peace  Smiley
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 11:35:04 PM »

It seems to me I'm on the same fast track as you.  I was born, baptized, raised, and confirmed Catholic, however, I wouldn't have called myself a committed Catholic (or Christian for that matter) until about a year ago.  In one calendar year I went from atheist, to believer, to Christian, back to Catholic, to knocking on the doors of Orthodoxy.

What hurts me the most is having to tell my family and those close to me that I'm leaving the Catholic Church.  It's almost as if I faked them out with my Catholic period, and it's led some to really wonder how long my attachment to Orthodoxy will last or if this is just another phase.  For me, my time as a committed Catholic was essential in my journey towards Orthodoxy.  It taught me how to appreciate the Saints, the Sacraments, beauty, the priesthood, tradition, and so many more things that I would have completely missed if I had converted to Protestantism instead.

Be thankful that God has given you that learning experience, but also accept that you will never go back.

I hope this helps.  God bless!

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
Xenia
Harmless Little Fuzzball

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 01:54:19 AM »

When I left my Protestant church of 20 years,  the church we raised our kids in,  it felt like a divorce.  Even though I was leaving  a church I no longer agreed with and entering a Church I absolutely adored,  it was a very difficult year in my life.  But I got over it.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:30:25 AM »

It seems to me I'm on the same fast track as you.  I was born, baptized, raised, and confirmed Catholic, however, I wouldn't have called myself a committed Catholic (or Christian for that matter) until about a year ago.  In one calendar year I went from atheist, to believer, to Christian, back to Catholic, to knocking on the doors of Orthodoxy.

What hurts me the most is having to tell my family and those close to me that I'm leaving the Catholic Church.  It's almost as if I faked them out with my Catholic period, and it's led some to really wonder how long my attachment to Orthodoxy will last or if this is just another phase.  For me, my time as a committed Catholic was essential in my journey towards Orthodoxy.  It taught me how to appreciate the Saints, the Sacraments, beauty, the priesthood, tradition, and so many more things that I would have completely missed if I had converted to Protestantism instead.

Be thankful that God has given you that learning experience, but also accept that you will never go back.

I hope this helps.  God bless!

The same here, sometimes I get comments from family members who saw me converting to Christianity, and then become Protestant and then Catholic and here now Orthodox, and they still expect that someday I might leave Christianity all together. But what they and many others don't understand, is that no matter how many times we have changed our Church, or no matter how long it took, year, less than year, more than year, every person and every situation is different. Some people took them years and years to become Christian or to become Catholics, some took them less than year, that doesn't mean who took him less than year is less serious about his beliefs, it is just that he has the ability to come into decision faster.

When I left my Protestant church of 20 years,  the church we raised our kids in,  it felt like a divorce.  Even though I was leaving  a church I no longer agreed with and entering a Church I absolutely adored,  it was a very difficult year in my life.  But I got over it.

I bet that was very big change, I was in the Catholic Church for a year and I felt sad for leaving it. I started getting over that feelings, because the more I realize the truth in the Orthodox Church, the less my sadness.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »

I felt a little strange when I started out. It got better with time.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »

I know the feeling in such situations, but we should remember that nothing prevents us from loving the people in our old community. Plus, don't be concerned about their salvation because they are in the RC. God has ways to save them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:51:56 AM by IoanC » Logged

Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »

Don't feel like your journey towards Orthodoxy needs to involve a condemnation of Catholicism.  If God is leading you to Orthodoxy you shouldn't expect the same desires and restlessness in Catholics.  As my inquiry into Orthodoxy has deepen one of my biggest struggles has been with anger and frustration towards Protestantism.  You have to make peace with the fact that many people simply won't understand you and what your going through and perhaps the Spirit isn't moving in them the same way it's leading you to Orthodoxy.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 01:40:13 PM »

I felt a little strange when I started out. It got better with time.  angel

Thank you  Smiley

I know the feeling in such situations, but we should remember that nothing prevents us from loving the people in our old community. Plus, don't be concerned about their salvation because they are in the RC. God has ways to save them.

And this is what I like about Orthodoxy, simply that we don't judge someone if he/she is saved or not, as in the end, we leave it to God, and that is something really humble in Orthodox.

Don't feel like your journey towards Orthodoxy needs to involve a condemnation of Catholicism.  If God is leading you to Orthodoxy you shouldn't expect the same desires and restlessness in Catholics.  As my inquiry into Orthodoxy has deepen one of my biggest struggles has been with anger and frustration towards Protestantism.  You have to make peace with the fact that many people simply won't understand you and what your going through and perhaps the Spirit isn't moving in them the same way it's leading you to Orthodoxy.

I used to be Protestant, Catholic and I wasn't even raised Christian. So, I had to go through all these Churches and communities. Even though I left Protestantism, I'm still thankful to them, because God used them to let me know him. Also,even though I'm deeply shocked about what I found out in the last week about Catholicism, but I can't hate the Catholic Church, I still love Pope Francis, I pray to God, that one day we become one Church, the fact that Jesus's wish for us to be one as he and Father are one,didn't become true is very sad, and I pray, really pray to God to make us one.
Nektarios_In_E.S.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church Diocese of Buenos Aires, Central and South America

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »

God works in the hearts of people in different ways and no two people's hearts and souls are exactly alike.  Some people, it takes time, while some, it may take one Divine Liturgy to make up their mind. 

Raylight, take my mother, for example, we were a Roman Catholic family (though not really practicing).  Anyway, when it came time when I was at a point in my life really looking for spirituality and truth; I went "Church hopping."  Providentially, I came to the Orthodox Church.  After some time, I brought my mother to one (1) Divine Liturgy -and she fell in love with it and right after wanted to talk to the Priest about wanting to convert.  For me, it took about three (3) years to finally come to the decision.   Though, I thank God for those three years because it allowed me to investigate the RCC deeper.   I read books by popes, watched EWTN, visited priests, became a member of a Ruthenian and Melkite Byzantine Catholic Church as well.  I'm the type of person that, due to my very methodical nature, I need more researching, reading and studying to make a decision.  I told myself: "I will not leave something that I don't understand.  I want to leave something that I do understand for something better" -and that is why it took the time that it took.  Please, Raylight, feel peace within yourself.  If you already feel compelled to join the Orthodox Church as soon as possible, then, welcome that feeling as something that God has placed in your heart.  I thank God when He finally put that decision upon my heart -and you know what?- ever since that day back in 2009, I have NEVER looked back.  Also, dear Raylight, look at your journey from one church, and/or from one faith/religion to another, to another as the Providential "stepping stones" towards Orthodoxy.  Do not worry about you switching from one religion towards another in the amount of time that you have experienced.  Never doubt the Lord God's involvement in your daily life -and that nothing happens out of coincidence.  All of what you've been experiencing is Divine Providence, my dear friend, so welcome it! Smiley

I used to be Protestant, Catholic and I wasn't even raised Christian. So, I had to go through all these Churches and communities. Even though I left Protestantism, I'm still thankful to them, because God used them to let me know him. Also,even though I'm deeply shocked about what I found out in the last week about Catholicism, but I can't hate the Catholic Church, I still love Pope Francis, I pray to God, that one day we become one Church, the fact that Jesus's wish for us to be one as he and Father are one,didn't become true is very sad, and I pray, really pray to God to make us one.
If you don't mind my asking, what religion did you used to be before protestant? (you don't have to even mention it in your next reply, if you don't want to).  I agree with you, that you do not have to "hate" where you were before.  If I may, I would like to advise that you can look at your past denominations and churches as a "shadow" of the "reality" of what was to come.  You were revealed, a portion of the truth.  Now that you're coming into the Orthodox Faith, you're about to experience "The Fullness" of The Truth. 

As far as your ecumenical views are concerned (that we should all be one), in time, while you learn more and become fully incorporated into the Orthodox Church, you will understand that -though such wishes truly sound wonderful (unity of RCC and OC), we truly and really cannot be one if we don't really have One Faith, One Ethos and One Mindset.  Just because we have some external things in common, does not mean we are the same.  I've heard some great Orthodox minds mention things like, if we want full communion with the Roman Catholics, they need to return to their status as a Church during the first seven ecumenical councils -and that is just the beginning.  There have been so many changes that they've done to the Christian Faith where we have very very important differences.  Things like: "original sin" as a stain, immaculate conception coming from that, inherited guilt, created grace, transubstantiation, papal infallibility, pope being the "vicar of Christ" (dangerous if you really look at that meaning), filioque, indulgences, purgatory, virtually abandoning the fast of wednesdays and fridays, the Lent fast, their monastics being more like civil/public servants, receiving only the wafer as communion, changing even their old liturgical rites, etc. I could go on forever.  My point is: we cannot truly be One Church, we don't really have the Same Faith.  The reasons why we've split are for important reasons and we should trust the Holy Fathers who have specifically and carefully outlined all of our differences and why we cannot be one church.  It's a beautiful idea though that should not stop us from praying that they may return to the original Faith; the Faith of the Fathers, the Orthodox Church.  The true purpose of ecumenism as it was originally intended by people such as Father Georges Florovsky was to convert the entire world to become Orthodox Christian and not the abomination that it has become today.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:38:25 PM by Nektarios_In_E.S. » Logged
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 04:05:18 PM »

God works in the hearts of people in different ways and no two people's hearts and souls are exactly alike.  Some people, it takes time, while some, it may take one Divine Liturgy to make up their mind. 

Raylight, take my mother, for example, we were a Roman Catholic family (though not really practicing).  Anyway, when it came time when I was at a point in my life really looking for spirituality and truth; I went "Church hopping."  Providentially, I came to the Orthodox Church.  After some time, I brought my mother to one (1) Divine Liturgy -and she fell in love with it and right after wanted to talk to the Priest about wanting to convert.  For me, it took about three (3) years to finally come to the decision.   Though, I thank God for those three years because it allowed me to investigate the RCC deeper.   I read books by popes, watched EWTN, visited priests, became a member of a Ruthenian and Melkite Byzantine Catholic Church as well.  I'm the type of person that, due to my very methodical nature, I need more researching, reading and studying to make a decision.  I told myself: "I will not leave something that I don't understand.  I want to leave something that I do understand for something better" -and that is why it took the time that it took.  Please, Raylight, feel peace within yourself.  If you already feel compelled to join the Orthodox Church as soon as possible, then, welcome that feeling as something that God has placed in your heart.  I thank God when He finally put that decision upon my heart -and you know what?- ever since that day back in 2009, I have NEVER looked back.  Also, dear Raylight, look at your journey from one church, and/or from one faith/religion to another, to another as the Providential "stepping stones" towards Orthodoxy.  Do not worry about you switching from one religion towards another in the amount of time that you have experienced.  Never doubt the Lord God's involvement in your daily life -and that nothing happens out of coincidence.  All of what you've been experiencing is Divine Providence, my dear friend, so welcome it! Smiley

If you don't mind my asking, what religion did you used to be before protestant? (you don't have to even mention it in your next reply, if you don't want to).  I agree with you, that you do not have to "hate" where you were before.  If I may, I would like to advise that you can look at your past denominations and churches as a "shadow" of the "reality" of what was to come.  You were revealed, a portion of the truth.  Now that you're coming into the Orthodox Faith, you're about to experience "The Fullness" of The Truth. 

As far as your ecumenical views are concerned (that we should all be one), in time, while you learn more and become fully incorporated into the Orthodox Church, you will understand that -though such wishes truly sound wonderful (unity of RCC and OC), we truly and really cannot be one if we don't really have One Faith, One Ethos and One Mindset.  Just because we have some external things in common, does not mean we are the same.  I've heard some great Orthodox minds mention things like, if we want full communion with the Roman Catholics, they need to return to their status as a Church during the first seven ecumenical councils -and that is just the beginning.  There have been so many changes that they've done to the Christian Faith where we have very very important differences.  Things like: "original sin" as a stain, immaculate conception coming from that, inherited guilt, created grace, transubstantiation, papal infallibility, pope being the "vicar of Christ" (dangerous if you really look at that meaning), filioque, indulgences, purgatory, virtually abandoning the fast of wednesdays and fridays, the Lent fast, their monastics being more like civil/public servants, receiving only the wafer as communion, changing even their old liturgical rites, etc. I could go on forever.  My point is: we cannot truly be One Church, we don't really have the Same Faith.  The reasons why we've split are for important reasons and we should trust the Holy Fathers who have specifically and carefully outlined all of our differences and why we cannot be one church.  It's a beautiful idea though that should not stop us from praying that they may return to the original Faith; the Faith of the Fathers, the Orthodox Church.  The true purpose of ecumenism as it was originally intended by people such as Father Georges Florovsky was to convert the entire world to become Orthodox Christian and not the abomination that it has become today.

Of course, the Catholic Church needs to back to the original beliefs, and to be humble enough to accept that she is equal to other churches.

The Catholic Church have changed so so much, that even if a Catholic come back to life from the 19th century, he wouldn't recognize the Catholic Church of today, yes, yes, we need to go with the changes in this world, but that doesn't mean take away our spirituality and worse than that, changing our basic dogmas.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »

I was comfortable within the Protestantism of my youth for the most part until I was graduated from college and out on my own - ever since then, over the last 8 years or so, I feel like I have progressed through numerous different phases (denominations, philosophies, doctrines) that have led me to inquire into Orthodoxy.  From what standpoint it may appear I'm just "bouncing all over the place" by I feel like there is a current that is leading me forward to a deeper relationship with Him which may eventually lead to me reception into Orthodoxy.  There is a lot of frustration and disappointment in trying to put down roots, committing to communities and philosophies, only to find yourself in soil that is lacking the full life you are hungry for.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: