OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 10:09:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timbuktu, Islam's Ancient Seat Of Learning, Loses Priceless Manuscripts  (Read 472 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 29, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »

SEVARE, Mali — Timbuktu, the fabled desert city where retreating Muslim extremists destroyed ancient manuscripts, was a center of Islamic learning hundreds of years before Columbus landed in the Americas.

It is not known how many of the priceless documents were destroyed by al Qaida-linked fighters who set ablaze a state-of-the-art library built with South African funding to conserve the brittle, camel-hide bound manuscripts from the harshness of the Sahara Desert climate and preserve them so researchers can study them.
The manuscripts cover subjects ranging from science, astrology and medicine to history, theology, grammar and geography. All are in Arabic script, in the Arabic language and African languages.
On Tuesday, Timbuktu was in control of French and Malian troops, including some 250 French paratroopers dropped from the sky. The extremists melted into the desert without firing a shot. Townspeople were jubilant at the city's liberation from intolerant Islamist extremists.

I knew al-Qaida was bad news. I just had a hunch.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:35:29 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »

This is depressing indeed.  Unfortunately the destruction of books, manuscripts, schools of thought and more have a long history.  Remember the statues of the Buddha at Bamyan?  But such acts are not limited to groups like Al-Qaida.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:45:56 AM »

Salafi Jihadists with a nihilistic mindset and little respect for absolutely anything that doesn't sit with their grossly intolerant ideology. They, the Wahabi and Deobandi sects are a complete menace. The artifacts lost came from far and wide in the Islamic world, but in particular were a rich source for a rather more generous view of African culture and past achievements than is largely seen in the West today.

What was touching was seeing the touching reception given to the 2nd Company of the Foreign Legion Parachute Regiment by the men, women and above all the children. Two corporals were almost in tears, seeing the children's reaction and thinking of their own kids.

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:44:46 PM »

This is depressing indeed.  Unfortunately the destruction of books, manuscripts, schools of thought and more have a long history.  Remember the statues of the Buddha at Bamyan?  But such acts are not limited to groups like Al-Qaida.

Yes, I was thinking about those two statues when I heard today's news.  Sad

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »

Black Africa has such few centers of heritage of ancient civilization, and al-Qa'idah destroys one of their own civilization.

Talk about nihilism.

I was at a conference about Black African Arabic manuscripts at Northwestern a few years ago.  This treasure was just being unraveled. Now is it lost?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:11:04 PM »

Black Africa has such few centers of heritage of ancient civilization, and al-Qa'idah destroys one of their own civilization.

Talk about nihilism.

I was at a conference about Black African Arabic manuscripts at Northwestern a few years ago.  This treasure was just being unraveled. Now is it lost?
Not entirely. The article states that they succeded in smuggling some of the manuscripts out of the city. I also think that they managed to hide some of it.
But it's a tradegy, really. Destroying your own culture.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »

This is more like Protestants destroying Catholic churches and sacking monasteries after the Reformation.

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »

This is more like Protestants destroying Catholic churches and sacking monasteries after the Reformation.

Not exactly, because in this case the modern-day Islamists are destroying the treasures of their own heritage.

More like the people in L.A. who trashed their own neighborhoods and businesses during the Riots.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »

Not exactly, because in this case the modern-day Islamists are destroying the treasures of their own heritage.

Isn't that because their Islamic faith suffered some sort of radical mutation, so now they have a totally different attitude to that heritage than their forefathers?
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 01:27:26 PM »

Isn't that because their Islamic faith suffered some sort of radical mutation, so now they have a totally different attitude to that heritage than their forefathers?

Good point; however, I think the problem with Islam is that it hasn't undergone any radical mutation.

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »

Good point; however, I think the problem with Islam is that it hasn't undergone any radical mutation.

In Albania and other countries from the Balkans (former Yugoslavia), the Muslims used to belong to various Sufi confraternities and they peacefully coexisted with the Orthodox until the '90s. They themselves were former Orthodox or had Orthodox relatives. They even used to revere Orthodox Saints and come to worship their relics in churches.

For the last couple of decades or so things have been changing, because most of their young clergy are now inspired and formed by the Salafis. Traditional Islam is declining and this new belligerent version seems to be thriving in more and more once peaceful Islamic countries.     
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »

More like the people in L.A. who trashed their own neighborhoods and businesses during the Riots.
One could argue the Protestants were destroying their own heritage.

But more to the point, in the case of the Wahhabis, to give you an idea of how bad they are, when they first came onto the scene, they sacked Medina and destroyed all the tombs and shrines there.  Only extreme pressure (and the appearance of Ottoman and Egyptian forces) stopped them from destroying the Tomb of Muhammad their Prophet itself.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
WPM
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »

I thought Timbuktu was a website program.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »

Good News:

JOHANNESBURG — Islamist extremists damaged or stole only a limited number of manuscripts in Timbuktu in Mali before they fled the fabled desert city, a South African university said Wednesday.

People in the north Malian city who have knowledge of the documents reported that there was no malicious destruction of any library or collection, said the University of Cape Town, which helped fund a state-of-the-art library to house manuscripts.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:41:58 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: