OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 10:13:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boy Scouts reconsidering stance on gay members  (Read 8061 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »

Since when is "sexual orientation" comparable to a religion?

For some people it seems they are identical, since this is the only thing their religion seems to care about. But never mind that...

The argument is, "If an organization allows someone who is x to be a member, then hosting that organization means endorsing x." You either take that logic to its ultimate, silly conclusion or you shouldn't employ it at all.
To answer the original question, when it has an agenda.

And the gays in this case certainly have an agenda.

Now, if you let an openly gay scout in, you're going to either a) have to him sleep in the same tent as the other boy(s) or b) have him sleep by himself.  b somewhat contradicts the whole point of scouting. a raising the question of why they couldn't have a girl sleep in the same tent (they've already had the battle of girls being let into Boy Scouts.

Do I have to explain to the silly why a Church would have a problem with that?
The Church has a problem with a gay person sleeping in the same tent as a straight person?
Only when the straight boy is sexually attracted to gay boys.
So it is fine if the straight boy is sexually attracted to straight girls?
As long as you don't allow the straight boy and the straight girl to sleep in the same tent.
If we let the gay boy sleep in the same tent with the straight boy (let alone with another gay boy), why not?
What about mutual attraction do you not understand? Boys and girls are made to be mutually attracted to each other for the propagation of our race. Two gay boys or two lesbian girls may likely become mutually attracted to each other. But a gay boy and a straight boy? If the gay boy becomes attracted to the straight boy, a quick punch in the nuts from the straight boy will put an end to that right quick!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:23:27 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »

If the gay boy becomes attracted to the straight boy, a quick punch in the nuts from the straight boy will put an end to that right quick!

... if the straight boy has enough gumption to do it, sure. And he should!

Sadly, that's not always the case, especially if the straight boy is younger, smaller, or susceptible to bullying and coercion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »

If they allow gay boys to be in Boy Scouts (which is already gay anyway), and other boys know they have one in their group, I think we all know what's going to happen.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:24 PM »

For some people it seems they are identical, since this is the only thing their religion seems to care about. But never mind that...

The argument is, "If an organization allows someone who is x to be a member, then hosting that organization means endorsing x." You either take that logic to its ultimate, silly conclusion or you shouldn't employ it at all.

Now, if you let an openly gay scout in, you're going to either a) have to him sleep in the same tent as the other boy(s) or b) have him sleep by himself.  b somewhat contradicts the whole point of scouting. a raising the question of why they couldn't have a girl sleep in the same tent (they've already had the battle of girls being let into Boy Scouts.

The Church has a problem with a gay person sleeping in the same tent as a straight person?
As long as you don't allow the straight boy and the straight girl to sleep in the same tent.
If we let the gay boy sleep in the same tent with the straight boy (let alone with another gay boy), why not?
What about mutual attraction do you not understand? Boys and girls are made to be mutually attracted to each other for the propagation of our race. Two gay boys or two lesbian girls may likely become mutually attracted to each other. But a gay boy and a straight boy? If the gay boy becomes attracted to the straight boy, a quick punch in the nuts from the straight boy will put an end to that right quick!

They should make a rule that gay boys can join as long as they don't wear a cup or know self-defense.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »

If the gay boy becomes attracted to the straight boy, a quick punch in the nuts from the straight boy will put an end to that right quick!

Sadly, that's not always the case, especially if the straight boy is younger, smaller, or susceptible to bullying and coercion.
This is naive.

I still think this is relevant, but when I was a kid and we knew another boy was gay, yeah they were pretty much bullied nonstop.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »

you aren't being serious, are you?

Peace.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »

But then, in the context of our discussion over whether a gay boy should be allowed to sleep in the same tent as a straight boy, the bigger, stronger boy could be the straight boy, or there could be an equal size difference between two straight boys. Are we then going to not allow two straight boys of greatly unequal size to sleep in the same tent?
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 10:38:24 PM »

I don't see how supporting BSA means promoting homosexuality. The only potential issue I see is having a gay boy sleep in the same room/tent and/or use the same shower facilities at the same time as other boys, in which case, there could potentially be problems. That's why the boys and girls are divided. What could we do for homosexual members? Why not put homosexual boys into the girl scouts and homosexual girls into the boy scouts? Then again, the girls might feel uncomfortable having a boy--even if he is gay--constantly around them. And the lesbian girl could be raped by the boys.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 10:40:23 PM »

I don't see how supporting BSA means promoting homosexuality. The only potential issue I see is having a gay boy sleep in the same room/tent and/or use the same shower facilities at the same time as other boys, in which case, there could potentially be problems. That's why the boys and girls are divided. What could we do for homosexual members? Why not put homosexual boys into the girl scouts and homosexual girls into the boy scouts? Then again, the girls might feel uncomfortable having a boy--even if he is gay--constantly around them. And the lesbian girl could be raped by the boys.

Gay boy scouts have been sleeping in the same tents as straight boy scouts since the start of the scouting movement.

I personally know two gay Eagle Scouts.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2013, 10:46:30 PM »

This is naive.
I still think this is relevant, but when I was a kid and we knew another boy was gay, yeah they were pretty much bullied nonstop.

Gays can be bullies just as much as straights. I'm not naive, I speak from experience which is much longer than yours.  Wink
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »

This is naive.

Gays can be bullies just as much as straights. I'm not naive, I speak from experience which is much longer than yours.  Wink
I've never met a single gay bully in my life. Are they the new boogeymen?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:56:59 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2013, 10:59:32 PM »

I've never really met a gay bully in the conventional sense. That being said, I have met gay people who were mean in a passive-aggressive sense, ie, putting off the attitude that they believe they are better or cooler than you. But I wouldn't necessarily classify them as bullies, but rather as arse holes.

-Orthonorm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »

I've never really met a gay bully in the conventional sense. That being said, I have met gay people who were mean in a passive-aggressive sense, ie, putting off the attitude that they believe they are better or cooler than you. But I wouldn't necessarily classify them as bullies, but rather as arse holes.
Well the shoe does fit since they want to act like *****es, are you surprised?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2013, 11:04:58 PM »

Not at all. America is very xenophobic of homosexuals. Acting like a jerk doesn't necessarily equal being a bully. Bullies go out to cause harm and harass students. Jerks just have a bad attitude.

According to the rules governing this forum, a profanity veiled behind special symbols but still recognizable as a profanity is still a profanity (see this thread). I have therefore corrected your post and given you this warning to last for the next 45 days. If you think this action wrong, please feel free to appeal it via private message either to me or this section's moderator, Pravoslavbob.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:55:34 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

-Orthonorm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »

Not at all. America is very xenophobic of homosexuals. Acting like an @'hole doesn't necessarily equal being a bully. Bullies go out to cause harm and harass students. @'holes just have a bad attitude.
LOL no I was commenting on their attitude being that of the female counterpart who is a *****.

You feel me?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »

This is naive.

Gays can be bullies just as much as straights. I'm not naive, I speak from experience which is much longer than yours.  Wink

My dear A, you forget I'm MUCH older than you.  Kiss
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 11:08:05 PM »

Not at all. America is very xenophobic of homosexuals. Acting like an @'hole doesn't necessarily equal being a bully. Bullies go out to cause harm and harass students. @'holes just have a bad attitude.
LOL no I was commenting on their attitude being that of the female counterpart who is a *****.

You feel me?

Ahhh yes, I get you. They have a [derogatory term referencing a female dog]y attitude. They'd be perfect for the girl scouts Tongue

-Orthonorm
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »

Wow.

Wow.

Most Offensive Posts of the Month?

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »

I wondered if he was.

I can tell you that my response to PtA's post,

They should make a rule that gay boys can join as long as they don't wear a cup or know self-defense.

was meant as sarcasm (surprise surprise).

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »

The Orthodox Religious medals Scouts can earn:

http://usscouts.org/scoutduty/sd2gc34.asp

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 11:22:13 PM »

I wondered if he was.

I can tell you that my response to PtA's post,

was meant as sarcasm (surprise surprise).

This seems clear.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »

This is naive.

And yet, those a quarter of your age seem to exercise more keen judgement when it comes to dealing with groups who have been for the most part on the short end of stick when it comes violence.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »

Gay boy scouts have been sleeping in the same tents as straight boy scouts since the start of the scouting movement.

This all plays into this homophobic trope which is not dissimilar to one which colors the view of black men in this country, the superior and dangerously uncontrollable libido of the gay male.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 11:26:41 PM »

You feel me?

Ahhh yes, I get you. They have a [derogatory term referencing a female dog]y attitude. They'd be perfect for the girl scouts Tongue
LOL

Would girl scout cookies rise in sales or not?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2013, 11:27:54 PM »

Wow.

Wow.

"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” -John 13:35

The world is perishing because of us.  

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 11:35:48 PM »

Well if you punch a gay boy in the nuts he can turn straight.

That's what I learned in my Creationism class when God was making Adam and Steve.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 11:38:39 PM »

Wow.

Wow.

I think so.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »

Yo LBK, real talk. Are there more gays down under?

Oh and I chuckled when I wrote that.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 11:51:42 PM »

I don't see how supporting BSA means promoting homosexuality.

Again here, David Gibson (the commentator mentioned in the OP) represents only a minute fraction of Catholics.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2013, 12:36:51 AM »

not openly they haven't. Sort of like stating the fact that every army has always had enemy agents in it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2013, 12:42:35 AM »

not openly they haven't. Sort of like stating the fact that every army has always had enemy agents in it.

Isa,

Your rhetoric as of late has become more caustic on both this and the private board, I must truly ask, are you just trying be clever here or are you really playing the double meaning of the analogy?

This would relate to your comment about the Russian Odox Church passing laws against homosexual "whatever" in the private board.

Seriously, I would like to know.

Are you by extension here comparing homosexual adolescents to enemy agents within a military in how they might be viewed as the enemy, dangerous, etc.

Thank you.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2013, 12:44:16 AM »

If they allow gay boys to be in Boy Scouts (which is already gay anyway), and other boys know they have one in their group, I think we all know what's going to happen.

At least in my area, I doubt there would be any difference whatsoever in how the homosexual scouts are treated.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2013, 01:55:38 AM »

This is naive.

And yet, those a quarter of your age seem to exercise more keen judgement when it comes to dealing with groups who have been for the most part on the short end of stick when it comes violence.

I make no distinction between unwanted sexual advances between straight males on females, lesbians against straight females, or homosexual males on straight male. Predatory sexual behavior is a violation, and all who are on the receiving end of such attacks (and they need not be violent) have the right and prerogative to fend off the perpetrator.

Or are certain people here wishing to make a distinction as to how homosexual and heterosexual predation be dealt with?  Angry
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2013, 02:15:21 AM »

This is naive.

I make no distinction between unwanted sexual advances between straight males on females, lesbians against straight females, or homosexual males on straight male. Predatory sexual behavior is a violation, and all who are on the receiving end of such attacks (and they need not be violent) have the right and prerogative to fend off the perpetrator.

Or are certain people here wishing to make a distinction as to how homosexual and heterosexual predation be dealt with?  Angry

What do you consider a "sexual advance" to be?

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2013, 02:40:16 AM »

This is naive.

What do you consider a "sexual advance" to be?

Are you serious?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2013, 02:46:23 AM »

I don't see how supporting BSA means promoting homosexuality. The only potential issue I see is having a gay boy sleep in the same room/tent and/or use the same shower facilities at the same time as other boys, in which case, there could potentially be problems. That's why the boys and girls are divided.
I see you don't understand the concept of mutual attraction, either. Roll Eyes Personally, I don't have a problem with a gay boy sleeping in the same tent as a straight boy and using the same facilities as the straight boys unless one or more of the boys, gay or straight, causes a problem. I just wouldn't put two gay boys in the same tent.
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2013, 04:25:10 AM »

I don't see how supporting BSA means promoting homosexuality. The only potential issue I see is having a gay boy sleep in the same room/tent and/or use the same shower facilities at the same time as other boys, in which case, there could potentially be problems. That's why the boys and girls are divided.
I see you don't understand the concept of mutual attraction, either. Roll Eyes Personally, I don't have a problem with a gay boy sleeping in the same tent as a straight boy and using the same facilities as the straight boys unless one or more of the boys, gay or straight, causes a problem. I just wouldn't put two gay boys in the same tent.

What if the gay boy is tougher than the other boys and rapes someone?

-Orthonorm
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2013, 04:49:07 AM »

It became comparable right around the same time someone created the phrase.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2013, 04:51:52 AM »

The Church has a problem with boys and girls sleeping the the same tent together at the same time?
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2013, 04:52:17 AM »

I think the Church's concern is that they assume all gay men are potentially pedophiles, who want to hang out with boys, and of course we just can't have that. (any more)

This is not the case at all.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2013, 04:58:11 AM »

It will also get him kicked out of the scouts, his parents taken to court, and him belittled as a bigot, hater and homophobe...unjustly, but then again, who cares about that as long as the homosexuals get what they want.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2013, 04:59:09 AM »

This is naive.

Your thinking it naive is naive.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2013, 05:00:04 AM »

Congratulations
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2013, 05:00:44 AM »

This is naive.

Funny...I have met a lot.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2013, 07:03:23 AM »

I know for a fact your supposition occurs in fact. And the effects of these encounters can be tragic for the victim later in life (but not long made apparent). Such predation can start very early. 

Sorry you're getting flack for posting the truth.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: