OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:46:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boy Scouts reconsidering stance on gay members  (Read 9276 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2013, 10:49:15 PM »

happens all the time to gay kids with religious parents .

Just trying to help.
Meh u just being obtuse
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »

I read this thread again and it is heartbreaking!  I wonder at what other point in history Christianity was faced with the same or similar infections it currently experiences.  I wonder because I need something to cling to as I see it dissolve away, all over the world, into a watered down unpottable source of drinking water.  How did this happen?  How did we allow it to become this way?  Where are the people seeking the face of God with a desire to live for Him and die to self?  How did this happen to the Apostolic Church?  I spent years searching to get away from this vile contaminant only to see its festering presence here.  I grow weary of the fight.  My heart weeps for the souls of humanity charging forward into the abyss, while they cheer for their ultimate destruction and there is nothing I can do to slow their sprint, much less stop them.  I remember the days gone by when I was bitter toward foolishness, ready to fight the good fight.  Now I am saddened knowing they carry forth of their own choice, not due to ignorance but due to foolishness.  My heart breaks, not for me, rather for them and all I can do is pray is watch.
What on earth is this? Cut the sanctimony.

Really I hope you have boys that are gay so you can get some perspective. You need it.

The level of discrimination and hatred shown in this thread is vile and repulsive. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

And BTW, Kerdy, "to get away from the wile contaminant", Christ did the opposite. He sat with them.

“Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
You whine and moan about "hatred" yet you attack back with the same verocity and indignation.

You hope he has homosexual children? Really?

You illiberals are truly a nasty lot.

I think that talk radio guy is right, liberalism is definitely a "mental disorder".

What is so bad about having gay children?
[/quolte]

The idea of a gay child having Kerdy (or Charles Martel for that matter) as a father makes me a bit sad.
How was your straight father? Don't worry about me or Kerdy in our standards as men or fathers.

I have two sons (neither homosexual) but if they were, I would still love them.

I would love then enough to tell them they are wrong and in danger of hellfire.

That's real love, telling them the coldhearted truth and the reality of these things.

Not some wimpy, lovey-dovey speech about "tolerance" and acceptance.
Be careful Charles.  You should know by now if you don’t agree, you "hate gay homosexual people and would be perfectly pleased if they all died”.  Just ask JamesR.  (See how the quotations work there James?)
Yea, well, that's all fine and dandy, if I ever said such a thing, but I didn't and wouldn't.

I really don't care what the pro-homosexuals on here think of me, I care what God thinks and what the Church teaches.

Bottom line.

The truth is transcendent, everything else is just doodling with words.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2013, 11:00:11 PM »

Even if you Ch. Martel wouldn't make your children homeless to prove a point that happens all the time to gay kids with religious parents . I live in a neighborhood whre I see them often also read in the local press and even  talked to some a few times.
I have never seen one.

But I have seen a few devout Christian parents heartbroken by a child's choice to be rebellious against everything they tried lovingly to teach them.And even then, they still choose to leave on their own because the parents will not condone their "lifestyle" under their roof.

I have also seen more than my share of non-religious fathers verbally, psychologically and physically abuse that "queer" for a son.

I don't understand why it's always the people with Faith that get the bad rap when it comes to this homosexual issue.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2013, 11:00:33 PM »

happens all the time to gay kids with religious parents .

Just trying to help.
Meh u just being obtuse

Facts and truth are obtuse?  Now that is an interesting take on the matter.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »

Even if you Ch. Martel wouldn't make your children homeless to prove a point that happens all the time to gay kids with religious parents . I live in a neighborhood whre I see them often also read in the local press and even  talked to some a few times.
I have never seen one.

But I have seen a few devout Christian parents heartbroken by a child's choice to be rebellious against everything they tried lovingly to teach them.And even then, they still choose to leave on their own because the parents will not condone their "lifestyle" under their roof.

I have also seen more than my share of non-religious fathers verbally, psychologically and physically abuse that "queer" for a son.

I don't understand why it's always the people with Faith that get the bad rap when it comes to this homosexual issue.

Their view seems to be if a parent does not condone the child’s choices and as a parent, set rules which that child must follow, and that child chooses to leave (run away), the parent physically kicked them out.  It’s simple non-math.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:09:22 PM by Kerdy » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #275 on: February 02, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »

Even if you Ch. Martel wouldn't make your children homeless to prove a point that happens all the time to gay kids with religious parents . I live in a neighborhood whre I see them often also read in the local press and even  talked to some a few times.
I have never seen one.

Well you just kinda proved my point. How would condoning the"lifestyle" under your loving Christian roof look like hypothetically of course?
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #276 on: February 02, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »

I have never seen one.

Well you just kinda proved my point. How would condoning the"lifestyle" under your loving Christian roof look like hypothetically of course?

Still twisting words to mean something they don't mean?  Silliness!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #277 on: February 02, 2013, 11:32:11 PM »

happens to gay kids with non-religious parents.

I know some kids thrown out by their parents for getting religion.  Do they count?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #278 on: February 03, 2013, 12:57:09 AM »

Just for a bit of clarification:  It makes no difference.  What was said was contemptible in nature and no different than saying you wish someone would have a child who becomes addicted to drugs, becomes a prostitute, an alcoholic or any other sin which takes control of their life. It was a deep seeded and detestable thing to say.  It truly reveals a person’s uncovered heart to wish hardship of another person, especially a child.

Bolded for being so reprehensibly obtuse.

How do you connect gays with drug addicts, prostitutes and alcoholics is absolutely beyond me.

So what do you think of Fr. Seraphim Rose?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:58:45 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #279 on: February 03, 2013, 12:58:39 AM »

Just for a bit of clarification:  It makes no difference.  What was said was contemptible in nature and no different than saying you wish someone would have a child who becomes addicted to drugs, becomes a prostitute, an alcoholic or any other sin which takes control of their life. It was a deep seeded and detestable thing to say.  It truly reveals a person’s uncovered heart to wish hardship of another person, especially a child.

Failed.  Nice try though.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #280 on: February 03, 2013, 01:00:25 AM »

I don't recall atheists being much kinder about gays.  I grew up in an atheistic home, none of my friends went to church, and gays were spoken of in far worse terms than I've ever heard in Orthodox circles.

In fact, homosexuality was frowned upon in the Soviet Union as I recall.  Something about 'social deviancy.' 

Romania under communism was no funland for gays... http://goqnotes.com/editorial/editorsnote_060905.html

I know some kids thrown out by their parents for getting religion.  Do they count?

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #281 on: February 03, 2013, 01:01:23 AM »

I am unsure how expressing my sincere feelings is sanctimonious, but if you say so it must be true.  I get the feeling you are seeing things.  Unless, expressing your thoughts, fears, feelings and concerns is sanctimonious.  Then again, if that is the case, you also are sanctimonious.  So where does that leave us?

Really I hope you have boys that are gay so you can get some perspective. You need it.

I have all the perspective I need.  Again, you see and read what you want to be there, not what is actually being posted.  You interpret, paraphrase, and ignore.  Sounds more like a personal issue with you than it sounds like any problem with me.  What makes you think if one of my children told me they were homosexual I would treat them in an evil way?  Because I don’t share your skewed understanding?  That isn’t evil,  that is reality.  As the proponents are so fond of saying, “deal with it.”

The level of discrimination and hatred shown in this thread is vile and repulsive. You  We should be ashamed of yourselves ourselves.

Fixed it for you and you are correct.  It is repulsive, but not how you think.

And BTW, Kerdy, "to get away from the wile contaminant", Christ did the opposite. He sat with them.

First thing, I am not Christ.  Second thing, He sat with them and ministered to them.  He NEVER told them their sins were acceptable.

“Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything I have posted.  Was this one of those posts to make you feel better? 

Achronos, what's been eating you lately?

The truth.  Some people just can't handle the truth.
I'm curious: are we condemning males for being heterosexual when we ban then from the women's locker room?

Not until it is part of an agenda.  Give it time.
I read this thread again and it is heartbreaking!  I wonder at what other point in history Christianity was faced with the same or similar infections it currently experiences.  I wonder because I need something to cling to as I see it dissolve away, all over the world, into a watered down unpottable source of drinking water.  How did this happen?  How did we allow it to become this way?  Where are the people seeking the face of God with a desire to live for Him and die to self?  How did this happen to the Apostolic Church?  I spent years searching to get away from this vile contaminant only to see its festering presence here.  I grow weary of the fight.  My heart weeps for the souls of humanity charging forward into the abyss, while they cheer for their ultimate destruction and there is nothing I can do to slow their sprint, much less stop them.  I remember the days gone by when I was bitter toward foolishness, ready to fight the good fight.  Now I am saddened knowing they carry forth of their own choice, not due to ignorance but due to foolishness.  My heart breaks, not for me, rather for them and all I can do is pray is watch.

The level of discrimination and hatred shown in this thread is vile and repulsive. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

You whine and moan about "hatred" yet you attack back with the same ferocity and indignation.

I think that talk radio guy is right, liberalism is definitely a "mental disorder".
It’s what I like to call the exclusionary rule.  If you agree with yourself, you are excluded.
I read this thread again and it is heartbreaking!  I wonder at what other point in history Christianity was faced with the same or similar infections it currently experiences.  I wonder because I need something to cling to as I see it dissolve away, all over the world, into a watered down unpottable source of drinking water.  How did this happen?  How did we allow it to become this way?  Where are the people seeking the face of God with a desire to live for Him and die to self?  How did this happen to the Apostolic Church?  I spent years searching to get away from this vile contaminant only to see its festering presence here.  I grow weary of the fight.  My heart weeps for the souls of humanity charging forward into the abyss, while they cheer for their ultimate destruction and there is nothing I can do to slow their sprint, much less stop them.  I remember the days gone by when I was bitter toward foolishness, ready to fight the good fight.  Now I am saddened knowing they carry forth of their own choice, not due to ignorance but due to foolishness.  My heart breaks, not for me, rather for them and all I can do is pray is watch.

You whine and moan about "hatred" yet you attack back with the same verocity and indignation.

The idea of a gay child having Kerdy (or Charles Martel for that matter) as a father makes me a bit sad.

I’m astounded you can make such an assumption having never met either of us, seen us interact with children, or our history and experiences with children, much less our own. 

Oh well certainly (and I'd go ahead and add Yesh to that too, seeing as how his motto is "Make 'em homeless; make 'em straight")!

There you go attributing words which a person has not said.  You do realize by using “  “, you are supposed to be quoting from someone.  If they, in fact, did not say what you quote, you are being dishonest.  I can’t speak for Charles, but I know I have never mentioned these words in this context.  I am not surprise, though; this appears to be your discipline of argumentation.  Just say hateful things.

How was your straight father? Don't worry about me or Kerdy in our standards as men or fathers.

That's real love, telling them the coldhearted truth and the reality of these things.

Be careful Charles.  You should know by now if you don’t agree, you "hate gay homosexual people and would be perfectly pleased if they all died”.  Just ask JamesR.  (See how the quotations work there James?)

Wimpy?? You're funny. But in a frightening kind of way.

2+2 does not equal Purple.

His "wimpy" statement was not a masculine attack against homosexuality.  It was a reference to the "be what you want to be regardless of what is right" mentality.
You can quote multiple posts at once, just FYI. Keep this crap better-contained.
Actually, he's much less confusing when he quotes only one person per post. police
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #282 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:04 AM »

How do you connect gays with drug addicts, prostitutes and alcoholics is absolutely beyond me.

Fr. Seraphim Rose repented.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #283 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:21 AM »

to wish hardshipof another person, especially a child.
Oh and this.

So now a gay child is a hardship? You have got to be kidding me. You want to kick them out of their home for it too? Give them enough money to catch a bus? Because heaven forbid your hardship make it so difficult for you.

Oh hey son, you are gay? Get out of my house, and I don't care if you aren't having sex.

This is exactly why I suggested it.

Thank you for showing what kind of heart you have, or lack thereof.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #284 on: February 03, 2013, 01:06:00 AM »

And how long did that take Peter?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #285 on: February 03, 2013, 01:06:38 AM »

I am unsure how expressing my sincere feelings is sanctimonious, but if you say so it must be true.  I get the feeling you are seeing things.  Unless, expressing your thoughts, fears, feelings and concerns is sanctimonious.  Then again, if that is the case, you also are sanctimonious.  So where does that leave us?

I have all the perspective I need.  Again, you see and read what you want to be there, not what is actually being posted.  You interpret, paraphrase, and ignore.  Sounds more like a personal issue with you than it sounds like any problem with me.  What makes you think if one of my children told me they were homosexual I would treat them in an evil way?  Because I don’t share your skewed understanding?  That isn’t evil,  that is reality.  As the proponents are so fond of saying, “deal with it.”

The level of discrimination and hatred shown in this thread is vile and repulsive. You  We should be ashamed of yourselves ourselves.

First thing, I am not Christ.  Second thing, He sat with them and ministered to them.  He NEVER told them their sins were acceptable.

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything I have posted.  Was this one of those posts to make you feel better? 

I'm curious: are we condemning males for being heterosexual when we ban then from the women's locker room?

You whine and moan about "hatred" yet you attack back with the same ferocity and indignation.

It’s what I like to call the exclusionary rule.  If you agree with yourself, you are excluded.

I’m astounded you can make such an assumption having never met either of us, seen us interact with children, or our history and experiences with children, much less our own. 

Oh well certainly (and I'd go ahead and add Yesh to that too, seeing as how his motto is "Make 'em homeless; make 'em straight")!

There you go attributing words which a person has not said.  You do realize by using “  “, you are supposed to be quoting from someone.  If they, in fact, did not say what you quote, you are being dishonest.  I can’t speak for Charles, but I know I have never mentioned these words in this context.  I am not surprise, though; this appears to be your discipline of argumentation.  Just say hateful things.

His "wimpy" statement was not a masculine attack against homosexuality.  It was a reference to the "be what you want to be regardless of what is right" mentality.
You can quote multiple posts at once, just FYI. Keep this crap better-contained.
Actually, he's much less confusing when he quotes only one person per post. police
You think so? Mods on another forum I go to a lot tend to merge multiple post series and generally frown upon double-posting.  That's on VBulletin though, where multi-quoting is a lot more straight-forward.

Ideally,  Kerdy's point would be expressed without any posts at all.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #286 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:15 AM »

Oh and this.

So now a gay child is a hardship? You have got to be kidding me. You want to kick them out of their home for it too? Give them enough money to catch a bus? Because heaven forbid your hardship make it so difficult for you.

Oh hey son, you are gay? Get out of my house, and I don't care if you aren't having sex.

Thank you for showing how little time you actually spend reading others' posts. Even I can see that you show absolutely no comprehension of what Kerdy just said.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #287 on: February 03, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »

Does it matter?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #288 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:09 AM »

Oh and this.

Thank you for showing how little time you actually spend reading others' posts. Even I can see that you show absolutely no comprehension of what Kerdy just said.
No I comprehended it very clearly.

For context:
What was said was contemptible in nature and no different than saying you wish someone would have a child becomes addicted to drugs, becomes a prostitute, an alcoholic or any other sin which takes control of their life.

So now having a gay son is a hardship on the parent. Which is as he says here:

to wish hardship of another person, especially a child.

Since when did the Church denounce a person of their sexuality? The Church allowed Fr. Seraphim Rose to be a monk, and he struggled until his last breathe to fight homosexual sins. But that is who he was, a homosexual.

What happened to hating the sin and loving the person?

And how is being homosexual a sin in of itself?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:15:55 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #289 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:18 AM »

Answer the question Peter, please.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #290 on: February 03, 2013, 01:13:59 AM »

You think so? Mods on another forum I go to a lot tend to merge multiple post series and generally frown upon double-posting.  That's on VBulletin though, where multi-quoting is a lot more straight-forward.

I don't know what general Internet etiquette is on this matter. All I know is that, on this forum, I get very confused when I see one post quoting multiple different people and giving a different response to each person quoted. I am also aware of a point of email etiquette that says that each email should address one and only one subject, again to avoid confusion. I would therefore rather see from one person a string of posts each responding to a different person then one long post responding to several people.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #291 on: February 03, 2013, 01:15:39 AM »

Oh and this.

For context:
What was said was contemptible in nature and no different than saying you wish someone would have a child becomes addicted to drugs, becomes a prostitute, an alcoholic or any other sin which takes control of their life.

Since when did the Church denounce a person of their sexuality? You allowed Fr. Seraphim Rose to be a monk, and he struggled until his last breathe to fight homosexual sins. But that is who he was, a homosexual.

Have you asked him to clarify what he said, especially since you've already been accused of misreading others' posts by those others you misread? Or would you rather shoot now and ask questions later?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #292 on: February 03, 2013, 01:16:43 AM »

First I need to know if answering your question is worth my time.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:17:34 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #293 on: February 03, 2013, 01:16:54 AM »

There is no clarification needed, I am asking additional questions that further amplifies my point.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:18:17 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #294 on: February 03, 2013, 01:17:51 AM »

I don't recall atheists being much kinder about gays.  I grew up in an atheistic home, none of my friends went to church, and gays were spoken of in far worse terms than I've ever heard in Orthodox circles.

In fact, homosexuality was frowned upon in the Soviet Union as I recall.  Something about 'social deviancy.' 

Romania under communism was no funland for gays... http://goqnotes.com/editorial/editorsnote_060905.html

nice spin reverend father, but we know that. the point is that in urban or suburban america the more a certain family is invested into a certain type of religion (not mainline episcopalian)  the greater the possibility would be they have a more disapproving view of homosexuality, whereas I think the level of disapproval would be significantly lower in more secularized households. of course there are exceptions but I think this are the dynamics today.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #295 on: February 03, 2013, 01:18:00 AM »

First I need to know if your question is worth answering.
Number of years please.

1?

5?

10?

15?

How about 28?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #296 on: February 03, 2013, 01:18:14 AM »

There is no clarification needed, I am asking additional questions that further amplify my point.
As opposed to asking questions that further amplify your comprehension?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #297 on: February 03, 2013, 01:18:53 AM »

Number of years please.

1?

5?

10?

15?

How about 28?
Okay, if you won't tell me why answering your question is worth my time, I'm not going to answer. So don't ask me again.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #298 on: February 03, 2013, 01:23:26 AM »

You edited and added, so I will respond again.

I connect them in the same way, as I already stated, any sin which is allowed to take control of ones life.  There are a lot of them out there.  Homosexuality is just one of them.  Some people are addicted to sex itself and must resist.  It isn't all about homosexuality, although some would like to make it look this way.

Fr. Seraphin Rose left his life of sin and lived for God.  I am sure he struggled with his thorn for some time, but I also am sure after years went by, God granted him peace as he controlled his flesh.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:24:45 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #299 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:28 AM »

Oh and this.

Why are you arguing with me?  You are the one who said it.  Be upset with you.  Your attempt to turn it around on me is failing.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:25:57 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #300 on: February 03, 2013, 01:26:52 AM »

They gay threads are real downers sometimes.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #301 on: February 03, 2013, 01:28:30 AM »

I'm not Peter, and I pretty much already answered this, but it probably took the rest of his life.  Well, not the repenting part.  That probably took about 10 minutes at confession.  The struggle was likely lifelong.  Sin doesn't stop tempting, at least for most people.  We just gain strength through God to win against its temptation.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #302 on: February 03, 2013, 01:29:31 AM »

Well, just bless your little heart.

Those from the south understand.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #303 on: February 03, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »

Oh and this.

For context:

Since when did the Church denounce a person of their sexuality? The Church allowed Fr. Seraphim Rose to be a monk, and he struggled until his last breathe to fight homosexual sins. But that is who he was, a homosexual.

And how is being homosexual a sin in of itself?

The whizzing sound you heard was my point zipping overhead.  You missed it.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #304 on: February 03, 2013, 01:32:03 AM »

When I was a kid, I was in the Boy Scouts.  There was a Scout Camp we went to that had a trading post that sold snacks, drinks, and fishing lures.

I asked my dad (with a young child's mind) "Dad when it's about to be the 2nd coming of Christ, do you think they'll sell drugs at the trading post?".   hahahaha

He basically laughed and just said "I doubt it son, but it will be rough".

I should have asked, "Dad, when it's about the be the 2nd coming of Christ, will Mr. Jimmy not have a wife, but be a sodomite with a man that he calls his husband"?

I don't doubt they'll let the Boy Scouts allow gays all through it.... After all, the girl scouts are embedded TOTALLY with planned parenthood.

"Dad, at the 2nd coming of Christ, will the girl scouts at the camp next to us not only sell cookies, but learn how to murder precious babies"?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #305 on: February 03, 2013, 01:33:34 AM »

nice spin reverend father, but we know that. the point is that in urban or suburban america the more a certain family is invested into a certain type of religion (not mainline episcopalian)  the greater the possibility would be they have a more disapproving view of homosexuality, whereas I think the level of disapproval would be significantly lower in more secularized households. of course there are exceptions but I think this are the dynamics today.

You are sort of missing the entire point of a Christian life.  It isn't the parents approval which is needed, it's God's, and He did not provide that.  Only a husband and a wife are allowed to engage in sexual activity.  Everything else is a sin.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #306 on: February 03, 2013, 01:35:08 AM »

Number of years please.

1?

5?

10?

15?

How about 28?
Okay, if you won't tell me why answering your question is worth my time, I'm not going to answer. So don't ask me again.
What I'm getting at, Peter, is that we are discussing homosexual boys, which has a lot more nuances and complexities than you and most of the people here will not give it credit for. Some of these boys may be confused about their sexuality and how they are to engage the world, if they are homosexual.

Do you honestly believe that kicking out your son, who you found out to be gay, is going to get him to change, let alone "repent"? And really, repent for what exactly? For having a sexual attraction to other males?

I have a sexual attraction to females, but that doesn't mean I sin. And neither do gays.

I'll give you that engaging in gay sex is sinful, and one should repent of it (that is if they are Orthodox), but not doing it isn't a sin.

Someone who is a gay has the same behaviors and feelings as someone who is straight. And we are finding more and more research that shows genetic and hormonal factors linking to homosexuality during the fetal stage in child development. Although I do believe environmental factors should be in consideration as well, but children that are born are more dispositioned to be gay biologically.

But they are human beings nonetheless. They should not be treated any differently than us just because of a difference in sexuality.

And really this nonsense that they are in sin.

Are you not in sin yourself? Judge not lest you be judged.

If we were to go down the list of sins committed, I'm sure heterosexuals would probably have a lot more to show for.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:37:46 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #307 on: February 03, 2013, 01:36:39 AM »

Oh and this.

Why are you arguing with me?  You are the one who said it.  Be upset with you.  Your attempt to turn it around on me is failing.
And your disgusting view on homosexuals might be cured if you had a gay son yourself.

Not only do you need perspective, you need some decency as well.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #308 on: February 03, 2013, 01:45:25 AM »

Number of years please.

1?

5?

10?

15?

How about 28?
What I'm getting at, Peter, is that we are discussing homosexual boys, which has a lot more nuances and complexities than you and most of the people here will not give it credit for. Some of these boys may be confused about their sexuality and how they are to engage the world, if they are homosexual.

Do you honestly believe that kicking out your son, who you found out to be gay, is going to get him to change, let alone "repent"? And really, repent for what exactly? For having a sexual attraction to other males?

I have a sexual attraction to females, but that doesn't mean I sin. And neither do gays.

I'll give you that engaging in gay sex is sinful, and one should repent of it (that is if they are Orthodox), but not doing it isn't a sin.

Someone who is a gay has the same behaviors and feelings as someone who is straight. And we are finding more and more research that shows genetic and hormonal factors linking to homosexuality during the fetal stage in child development. Although I do believe environmental factors should be in consideration as well, but I do believe children that are born are more dispositioned to be gay biologically.

But they are human beings nonetheless. They should not be treated any differently than us just because of a difference in sexuality.

If we were to go down the list of sins committed, I'm sure heterosexuals would probably have a lot more to show for.

Achronos, we are all sinners.  We are all guilty of sin.

But God has judged homosexuality to be an abomination already.  We can call homosexuality an abomination and a sin.

Sure I sin.... I often sin.  But I try constantly to improve those sins.

A person who admits and accepts they are a homosexual, and believes this is "okay", is a person who will not listen or struggle with their sin.  These are the people who want "acceptance" of their sin.

If I constantly stole things, and wanted to be accepted and unwilling to change/ struggle, it doesn't make it right.

If I constantly lied, and wanted to be accepted and unwilling to change/struggle, it doesn't make it right.
.... Lust, gluttony, laziness, murder, coveter, adulterer ... we could be all these things and STRUGGLE and want to change.... But the moment we say "I am this way and people should accept my sins" then the unwillingness to change or repent of sin is what happens.

Since our God labeled homosexuality as an abomination, and homosexuals want "acceptance" into the scouts, they are unwilling to change their sins.....

Wasn't it said in the scripture to take people with you, try to convince them, and if they don't listen shake the dust from your sandals?

Homosexual behavior God has judged.  They won't listen.  If they were struggling and fighting their sin, trying to do that right thing then that's different.  But they want to be OPENLY homosexual in front of young boys.  "See gay people aren't so bad young men, they make great role models"....

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #309 on: February 03, 2013, 01:51:08 AM »

we are discussing homosexual boys, which has a lot more nuances and complexities than you and most of the people here will not give it credit for. Some of these boys may be confused about their sexuality and how they are to engage the world, if they are homosexual.

How is this different than any other kid going through puberty?

Do you honestly believe that kicking out your son, who you found out to be gay, is going to get him to change, let alone "repent"?

And really, repent for what exactly? For having a sexual attraction to other males?

No one has suggested this even happen.  You folks are the only ones talking about it.  You brought it up.  You…

Yes, actually, in the same way I should repent if I have a sexual attraction to someone other than my wife…and then I avoid her.  Same thing.

We already talked about this in another thread.  No need to beat a dead horse.

So, instead of warning of the dangers of this activity, you think somehow you will prevent it from telling them it’s ok to be homosexual, they were born this way (even though it has never been proven), and to accept themselves as they are?  You really think this is going to help them?  No, it will push them right into homosexual acts.

Someone who is a gay has the same behaviors and feelings as someone who is straight. And we are finding more and more research that shows genetic and hormonal factors linking to homosexuality during the fetal stage in child development. Although I do believe environmental factors should be in consideration as well, but children that are born are more dispositioned to be gay biologically.

And just as much to suggest its social environment in origin.

How is an eight year old sexual?  By announcing ones sexuality to the world, you by default, set yourself up to be treated differently.  The last time I checked, no one cared and no one wanted to know.  I don’t announce myself to the world.  “Hello!  My name is Kerdy and I am a heterosexual.”  Doesn’t happen.

Pondering on the thought is sin, period.  Not nonsense.  They need help, not approval.

I love this garbage!  I really do.  Who is judging?  No one.  And we all sin, but unfortunately for your argument, this has nothing to do with anything.

Probably about the same.  We have been saying this for a long time and ignored.  Funny how you are now saying this as well.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #310 on: February 03, 2013, 01:54:38 AM »

And your God's disgusting view on homosexuals might be cured if you had a gay son yourself so that child could suffer hardship to make me feel better by proving a point, but unfortunately that point would fail.

And this is a big problem.  Emotions getting in the way of reason.  My son/daughter is homosexual so I will now turn my back on the teachings of the Church to make them feel better about themself.

Not only do you need perspective, you need some decency as well.

What did you say in another post about judging?  Why do the rules never apply universally? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:03:18 AM by Kerdy » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #311 on: February 03, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »

Number of years please.

1?

5?

10?

15?

How about 28?
Okay. So why should the Boy Scouts be tasked with helping homosexual boys learn how to engage the world if such teaching requires tacit approval of homosexual relations? Why can other groups not be founded specifically for that purpose? Homosexual relations are not compatible with the mission of the Boy Scouts to make men who are physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight (no pun intended).

So you identify the Boy Scouts kicking a boy out of the Boy Scouts for engaging in homosexual relations as being the same thing as a father kicking his son out of the house for engaging in homosexual relations? The Boy Scouts is a volunteer organization that one can join or leave voluntarily at any time, but a son is born/adopted into a family unit that he can never truly leave for the rest of his life. The analogy you're trying to posit simply doesn't hold water. You're trying to squeeze orange juice out of an apple.

You do notice that I keep speaking of homosexual relations? I don't know that merely "being gay" has ever resulted in disqualification from membership in the Boy Scouts, either as a scout or as a leader, but I am aware that engagement in homosexual relations does result in disqualification.

Someone who is a gay has the same behaviors and feelings as someone who is straight. And we are finding more and more research that shows genetic and hormonal factors linking to homosexuality during the fetal stage in child development. Although I do believe environmental factors should be in consideration as well, but I do believe children that are born are more dispositioned to be gay biologically.

When have I ever voiced on this board my condemnation of anyone merely for being sexually attracted to members of the same sex? Have I not always condemned homosexual relations and only homosexual relations as sinful and immoral?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:03:38 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #312 on: February 03, 2013, 02:03:57 AM »

This is great; let's let the Boy Scouts succumb to the harassment of those who have evolved to the false impression that homosexuality is now politically correct, and let's destroy this fine and admirable organization, a remnant of a better era, having homos serve as examples to our youth so that they think homosexuality is just another "life style," and not the sick perverse disturbance that it is, scripturally condemned behavior.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:13:36 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #313 on: February 03, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »

For the record, as I have already stated my brother is homosexual, other than our father, I was the last one in the family he told.  He didn’t even tell me until I finally just asked him outright.  I asked him why he took so long (other family members knew years prior) and he said it was because I am a political conservative (formerly extremely active) and military disciplined.  I looked at him and asked, “Aren’t you conservative and military disciplined, too?”  I was also a youth minister and he felt, likely as a result of all of his friends, I would disown him.  I looked him in his eyes and said, “You know my views and they will not change, but you are family.  I am not going to disown you because of this.  Of course, there will be basic rules for when you are around my kids, but you are a big boy and must live with the choices you make.”

We never have had a problem because of him being homosexual.  In fact, he thinks most of the rhetoric being spewed from the propaganda machines is stupid.  You see, he thinks for himself.  He is not supportive of homosexual marriage, civil unions yes.  He sees what is going on and he is disgusted.  He ended a very long relationship because his partner couldn’t keep his zipper up and coincidentally, according to him, very few can.  He gets tired of being asked for a romp in the sack on a first meeting and the list goes on, so I know just how snug the stereotypes actually do fit.  In large, this community is extremely shallow.  I get most of my questions answered from him and other friends I have.  

Childish antics, circular argumentation and stupid accusations being tossed around only make the ones posting them look foolish, not the ones they hurl the insults at, them.  I don’t suggest you step back and look at the big picture.  I suggest you put the car in reverse and back up several miles before you look at the big picture.  Seeing what is directly in front of you and nothing more is a dangerous way to live.

Oh, and my brother was a Scout.  I got to attend with him, but I never joined.  We were poor and couldn’t afford it, so they let me hang with my big bro.  I remember the race cars well.  And green carpet.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:19:31 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #314 on: February 03, 2013, 02:46:26 AM »

The Church allowed Fr. Seraphim Rose to be a monk, and he struggled until his last breathe to fight homosexual sins. But that is who he was, a homosexual.

Incorrect.  He was Orthodox, a Christian, a monk, a child of God. 

Those who use sexuality to identify who they are have some serious problems. 
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: