OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 08:23:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boy Scouts reconsidering stance on gay members  (Read 10879 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »

The Boy Scout of America [BSA] is considering ending its longstanding national membership restrictions based on sexual orientation.

Under the change now being discussed, the different religious and civic groups that sponsor Scout units would be able to decide for themselves how to address the issue — either maintaining an exclusion of gays or opening up their membership.

One Catholic commentator predicted that if the BSA go through with this, then the BSA would be excluded from Catholic parishes, since to sponsor a BSA unit would be to cooperate with a group that supports what is considered an immoral position.

Do Orthodox parishes have BSA units, and would this potential change affect Orthodox-BSA relationships?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:23:59 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »

My GOA parish did, but that was nearly a half-century ago though. I'll check later to see if it is still active. It was a very large troop back in the early 60's.

No way to answer your second question from here.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »

The BSA currently allows Muslims, Protestants, Jews and Buddhists to join. Does that mean that Catholic churches that host BSA troops are endorsing those positions?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »

The BSA currently allows Muslims, Protestants, Jews and Buddhists to join. Does that mean that Catholic churches that host BSA troops are endorsing those positions?
True. I think the Catholic commentator is being a bit too dramatic.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »

Since when is "sexual orientation" comparable to a religion?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »

The Boy Scout of America [BSA] is considering ending its longstanding national membership restrictions based on sexual orientation.

Under the change now being discussed, the different religious and civic groups that sponsor Scout units would be able to decide for themselves how to address the issue — either maintaining an exclusion of gays or opening up their membership.

One Catholic commentator predicted that if the BSA go through with this, then the BSA would be excluded from Catholic parishes, since to sponsor a BSA unit would be to cooperate with a group that supports what is considered an immoral position.

Do Orthodox parishes have BSA units, and would this potential change affect Orthodox-BSA relationships?

The Girl Scouts did this years ago, neither the Orthodox or Catholic Churches disaffiliated with them.  Most seem unaware that the local Chartering Organization has complete control over the troop.  They approve leadership and can, although this very rare nowadays, have a closed troop for oly members of that faith.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »

For some people it seems they are identical, since this is the only thing their religion seems to care about. But never mind that...

The argument is, "If an organization allows someone who is x to be a member, then hosting that organization means endorsing x." You either take that logic to its ultimate, silly conclusion or you shouldn't employ it at all.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:28:22 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 11:50:18 AM »

When it becomes the all encompassing focus of your being and energies.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »

For some people it seems they are identical, since this is the only thing their religion seems to care about. But never mind that...

The argument is, "If an organization allows someone who is x to be a member, then hosting that organization means endorsing x." You either take that logic to its ultimate, silly conclusion or you shouldn't employ it at all.
To answer the original question, when it has an agenda.

And the gays in this case certainly have an agenda.

Now, if you let an openly gay scout in, you're going to either a) have to him sleep in the same tent as the other boy(s) or b) have him sleep by himself.  b somewhat contradicts the whole point of scouting. a raising the question of why they couldn't have a girl sleep in the same tent (they've already had the battle of girls being let into Boy Scouts.

Do I have to explain to the silly why a Church would have a problem with that?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:57:16 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »

Now, if you let an openly gay scout in, you're going to either a) have to him sleep in the same tent as the other boy(s) or b) have him sleep by himself.  b somewhat contradicts the whole point of scouting. a raising the question of why they couldn't have a girl sleep in the same tent (they've already had the battle of girls being let into Boy Scouts.

The Church has a problem with a gay person sleeping in the same tent as a straight person?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »

I think the Church's concern is that they assume all gay men are potentially pedophiles, who want to hang out with boys, and of course we just can't have that. (any more)

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »

The Church has a problem with a gay person sleeping in the same tent as a straight person?

laugh

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »

laugh
The lawsuits have reminded the Vatican of that.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »

Only when the straight boy is sexually attracted to gay boys.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »

Eastern Orthodox Committee on Scouting

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »

So it is fine if the straight boy is sexually attracted to straight girls?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 02:43:22 PM »

Since people started worshipping it.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »

I think the Church's concern is that they assume all gay men are potentially pedophiles, who want to hang out with boys, and of course we just can't have that. (any more)

Well, there are lawsuits against the BSA for pedophiles preying on boys, IIRC.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »

And since when is it considered sinful? I think David Gibson's opinion represents only a minute fraction of Catholics. (I guess I'm not telling you anything you haven't already figured out.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 02:49:36 PM »

Since people started worshipping it.

Cheesy

But, seriously, it would then follow that the sun is a religion, since there have been people who worshiped it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:50:48 PM by Peter J » Logged

Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »

the world is totes going to end.  Gayz!!

Peace.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 05:16:50 PM »

As long as you don't allow the straight boy and the straight girl to sleep in the same tent.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »

And what is on that agenda for August 14th 2014 at 14:00?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »

Really, what is more gay than the Boy Scouts other than parades?

Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 05:47:28 PM »

Orthonorm, your sig is great. Great juxtaposition.

Peace.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 05:52:24 PM »

I will never get this whole thing. I mean, I was in the Boy Scouts for six years- and left because of the all-Protestants troop's attitude towards Orthodox and Catholics, not their position towards gay scouts. I mean, I'm bisexual and there was never a problem- of course, none of them were ever exactly what I would call attractive anyway, so that bit never had a reason to come out.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »

Isn't one of them a boy scout? The Village People is sorta like combining the worst of both worlds.

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »

My gay agenda for the rest of day:
Finish laundry
Put dishes away
Feed dogs
Do an online course for job
Study Hebrew
Force everyone else to become gay married
Watch NOVA
Say prayers
Go to sleep

Proverbs 22:7
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 06:13:01 PM »

I will never get this whole thing. I mean, I was in the Boy Scouts for six years- and left because of the all-Protestants troop's attitude towards Orthodox and Catholics, not their position towards gay scouts. I mean, I'm bisexual and there was never a problem- of course, none of them were ever exactly what I would call attractive anyway, so that bit never had a reason to come out.

One day you too will be able to be officially within the Boy Scouts while being shunned for being bi.

Free at last!

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »

One day you too will be able to be officially within the Boy Scouts while being shunned for being bi.

Free at last!

Yes, because exhanging one shunning for another will be so tremendously fun.  Roll Eyes

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »

Free at last!

Yes, because exhanging one shunning for another will be so tremendously fun.  Roll Eyes

Irony.

Learn it soon.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 06:18:25 PM »

Quote from: orthonorm link=topic=49533.msg872273#msg872273 date=1359497750 [/quote

Irony.

Learn it soon.

Sarcasm.
Learned it over ten years ago.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:19:14 PM by brastaseptim » Logged

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »

Finish gay laundry
Put gay dishes away
Feed gay dogs
Do a gay online course for job
Study gay Hebrew
Watch gay NOVA
Say gay prayers
Go to gay sleep
Fixed that for you so that it properly demonstrates how being gay is the core of everything you do.

Because if that’s not the case, your gay day seems strikingly like my straight day (minus the Jew-y stuff), and that makes me as a Straight-American uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:35:11 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »

Quote from: orthonorm link=topic=49533.msg872273#msg872273 date=1359497750 [/quote

Irony.

Learn it soon.

Sarcasm.
Learned it over ten years ago.

Now work on that quote tag!

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »

Isn't one of them a boy scout? The Village People is sorta like combining the worst of both worlds.
No: a cop, a construction worker, an american indian, a leather guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »

Finish gay laundry
Put gay dishes away
Feed gay dogs
Do a gay online course for job
Study gay Hebrew
Watch gay NOVA
Say gay prayers
Go to gay sleep
Fixed that for you so that it properly demonstrates how being gay is the core of everything you do.

This thread gets more awesomer.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 06:37:15 PM »

This thread gets more awesomer.
[/quote]
Or just more stranger. And I STILL cannot work that quote tag!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:39:17 PM by brastaseptim » Logged

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »

deleted wrong thread
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:29:06 PM by Tallitot » Logged

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »

NOVA is pretty gay.  Cheesy

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 07:47:02 PM »

NOVA is pretty gay.  Cheesy
How's this...'watch Downton Abbey".
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:47:34 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 08:56:19 PM »

NOVA is pretty gay.  Cheesy
How's this...'watch Downton Abbey".
Though Downton Abbey seems like it would have some gay points attached to it, the gay guy in it is kind of a villain, thus undermining the gay television agenda. Gay.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »

As long as you don't allow the straight boy and the straight girl to sleep in the same tent.
If we let the gay boy sleep in the same tent with the straight boy (let alone with another gay boy), why not?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »

Finish laundry
Put dishes away
Feed dogs
Study Hebrew
Watch NOVA
Say prayers
Go to sleep
with whom?

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:45 PM »

Finish laundry
Put dishes away
Feed dogs
Study Hebrew
Watch NOVA
Say prayers
Go to sleep

- But we've also expanded into other important areas. Literacy programs, preserving our beloved covered bridges, world domination...

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: