OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 03:03:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Apophis' censured homily about promiscious sex missing from The Philokalia  (Read 560 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: January 28, 2013, 10:42:01 PM »

Okay not really.

So orthonorm, when does having too much sex become an issue? Is there even such a thing? Or when it creates harm to a person (or persons)?

Having sex 3 times a day is on the low end? Well how does one find the time for more?

What if I obsess over having sex with a person and consumes a lot of my thought?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:52:36 PM »

Okay not really.

So orthonorm, when does having too much sex become an issue? Is there even such a thing? Or when it creates harm to a person (or persons)?

Having sex 3 times a day is on the low end? Well how does one find the time for more?

What if I obsess over having sex with a person and consumes a lot of my thought?

The last line says it all, Achronos. Pardon the frankness, but it's about time your brain came out from between your legs.  police
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »

Okay not really.

When I said elsewhere, I didn't mean here. And there are three things you have to think about here, what the Church would strictly teach, how the psychological medical profession would suggest what is disordered, and how you bring the two together.

Before I was just pointing out what I find to be normative behavior or potential behavior given my experience in life and reading around this subject, nothing that the Church would teach.

In short, the Church, well you know what they say.

In short, it is a clinical problem when any compulsive behavior begins to disorder your life. In the end, unless you go far off the deep end and the state gets involved, you will be the one who judges exactly what disordered is.

Again, that is all that I need to make clear. Some place else if you so desire.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »

The more we sin, the more we become conditioned by sin. We cease to function normally.

I really think this discussion, Achronos, is best held between you and your spiritual father--that is, if you want real advice from someone who has responsibility and care for your soul. These posts of late are sort of the equivalent of walking naked through a crowded room where everyone else is clothed.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »

Okay not really.

The last line says it all, Achronos. Pardon the frankness, but it's about time your brain came out from between your legs.  police

It actually says nothing at all. We have no idea what "a lot" is. What "obsess" is. I think we live in a sorta pathology seeking world and it might be a reason some people find Orthodoxy attractive it gives them ammo to pathologize their lives. (Contrarywise, a it can be a way to spiritualize their pathologies: social phobia, sexual overscrupulosity, homophobia, misogyny, etc.)

In short, many are pathologically attempting to be pathological.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »

The more we sin, the more we become conditioned by sin. We cease to function normally.

I really think this discussion, Achronos, is best held between you and your spiritual father--that is, if you want real advice from someone who has responsibility and care for your soul. These posts of late are sort of the equivalent of walking naked through a crowded room where everyone else is clothed.

I am so glad I can't picture things in my head.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 11:03:26 PM »

it might be a reason some people find Orthodoxy attractive it gives them ammo to pathologize their lives.
Hey religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure!!111

Like a lot of the celebs that go to sex rehab? So you consider having sex/thoughts a disease when it starts to seriously affect cognitive functions, people around them and creating disorder in one's life?

Don't have to answer since you want to talk about it elsewhere. For me it's not serious enough to talk about it elsewhere, I just wanted a discussion about it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:04:26 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:57 PM »

it might be a reason some people find Orthodoxy attractive it gives them ammo to pathologize their lives.
Hey religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure!!111

Like a lot of the celebs that go to sex rehab? So you consider having sex/thoughts a disease when it starts to seriously affect cognitive functions, people around them and creating disorder in one's life?

Don't have to answer since you want to talk about it elsewhere. For me it's not serious enough to talk about it elsewhere, I just wanted a discussion about it.

It's not about what I think, it is about the nature of a disorder.

Such things are attempted to be measured as far they can be. So unless something is having negative consequences in your life for you, de nada. Disorders are almost always typical human behavior engaged in either frequency or in such a quality as to DISORDER one's life.

The Church has one view of this. Clinical psychology another.

Everyone is obsessive. Everyone has compulsions. Not everyone has OCD. Heck a person with OCD in one environment might not have it in another.

Some people can drink alcohol and get along in life just fine. Others cannot.

Trying to quantify or measure qualitatively the subjective experience of another is nearly impossible, so folks look at consequences, behavior, which might be strongly correlated with the subjective aspect of the a disorder. Everyone gets depressed, not everyone has had depression. So frequency of crying and under what conditions one cries is a better way to gauge one's state, than talking about one's subjective opinion about one's affective state.

This is psych 101. Sorry for the bore, just wanted to make myself clear.

So yes, think about sex all you want, but don't tell me you have a serious addiction till your behavior resembles that of people being restrained so that they cannot drink or use drugs while they detox.

You have an obsession and perhaps a compulsion and maybe a disorder, but I doubt it.

For the Church, these notions are much less clear and become even more muddled when persons attempt to marry them with clinical psychology. (See Fr. Meletios Webber.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:20:29 PM by orthonorm » Logged

AustralianDiaspora

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:40:05 AM »

Perhaps this is a remnant from my investigations into Buddhism so excuse me if I'm wrong, but the way I see sin (and have been taught/understood) is that it is not so much a moral issue, but more it is the simple fact that sin takes you further from God. In the case of things like food, sex etc., the physical pleasure is a distraction from where our focus really should be. Personally I have found that when I'm focused on God, my desire for physical pleasures of all kinds tends to decrease. Like everything, I imagine the key here is moderation.

I can no longer cope with the misogynism, bigotry, homophobia and racism here and I have given up this forum. Lord have mercy.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »

How does one even reload that fast?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:03:35 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »

Perhaps this is a remnant from my investigations into Buddhism so excuse me if I'm wrong, but the way I see sin (and have been taught/understood) is that it is not so much a moral issue, but more it is the simple fact that sin takes you further from God. In the case of things like food, sex etc., the physical pleasure is a distraction from where our focus really should be. Personally I have found that when I'm focused on God, my desire for physical pleasures of all kinds tends to decrease. Like everything, I imagine the key here is moderation.

I have no clue about Buddhism except that it is a major religion. However, I think that your way of seeing sin is indeed the Orthodox way.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: