OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 04:43:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: International Week Of Prayer For Christian Unity  (Read 388 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 23, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »

For more than 100 years, Christians around the world have taken part in an octave of prayer for visible Christian unity from January 18 - 25. By annually observing the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity (WPCU), Christians move toward the fulfillment of Jesus' prayer at the Last Supper "that they all may be one."

The Student Christian Movement of India prepared the 2013 WPCU theme and accompanying materials. In the context of casteism, they chose the theme "What does God require of us," from Micah 6:6-8. Injustice to the poorest of the poor in India and in the Church poses a grave challenge to unity and to the Church's unified witness in the world.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »

For more than 100 years, Christians around the world have taken part in an octave of prayer for visible Christian unity from January 18 - 25. By annually observing the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity (WPCU), Christians move toward the fulfillment of Jesus' prayer at the Last Supper "that they all may be one."

The Student Christian Movement of India prepared the 2013 WPCU theme and accompanying materials. In the context of casteism, they chose the theme "What does God require of us," from Micah 6:6-8. Injustice to the poorest of the poor in India and in the Church poses a grave challenge to unity and to the Church's unified witness in the world.

Okay then, we pray that all are eventually united to the Orthodox Church.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:21:47 PM »

I seem to recall the week was set up by the pope of Rome, as it's around the feast of the Chair of St. Peter at Rome.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »

I seem to recall the week was set up by the pope of Rome, as it's around the feast of the Chair of St. Peter at Rome.

Interesting.  It certainly is closer to the feast of the chair in Rome (Jan 18) than to that feast of the Chair of St. Peter in Antioch (Feb. 22). 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »

Christians move toward the fulfillment of Jesus' prayer at the Last Supper "that they all may be one."

That's already done...

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »

Interesting.  It certainly is closer to the feast of the chair in Rome (Jan 18) than to that feast of the Chair of St. Peter in Antioch (Feb. 22). 

Yes. IIRC, the Roman celebration of the Chair of St. Peter in Antioch was suppressed.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »

Yes. IIRC, the Roman celebration of the Chair of St. Peter in Antioch was suppressed.

I thought it was downgraded in rank but still on the books, i.e. was of same rank ("class") of feasts as that of Rome previously but now in lower class.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 08:57:24 PM »

In the Ordinary form it was actually the feast of Jan 18th that was supressed.  Feb 22 is the Feast of the Chair of St Peter, feast being the second in rank.  In the Extarordinary form both feasts remain as double majors.  Oddly enough Feb 22 is the more ancient feast and did no mention Antioch, that addition came later.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »

Okay then, we pray that all are eventually united to the Orthodox Church.

Amen
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 01:38:58 PM »

International Praying with the Heterodox Week.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »

International Praying with for the Heterodox Week.

Slight edit.  Grin

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »

Fun fact, I believe it's canon 13 of Penthekte that says that if you pray with someone who is excommunicated, you are yourself excommunicated.  I was just reading that one the other day & thought of this whole thread. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 07:25:39 PM »

Fun fact, I believe it's canon 13 of Penthekte that says that if you pray with someone who is excommunicated, you are yourself excommunicated.  I was just reading that one the other day & thought of this whole thread. 
Luckily, most Catholics are not excommunicated Orthodox. Wink

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »

Luckily, most Catholics are not excommunicated Orthodox. Wink

Man I hope there's a lot behind that wink... Tongue Shocked

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: