OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 06:09:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Married Father Of Three To Become Catholic Priest  (Read 375 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »

For 20 years, Cornelius had been an Episcopal priest, but left the church two years ago...although he feels in a greater sense that the church left him.
Changing churches is nothing new to Cornelius, who before becoming an Episcopal priest had also practiced many other faiths.

"I started out as a fundamentalist Baptist. We were so conservative we thought the Southern Baptists would be going to hell," he laughed. "I've been a Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist...messed around with Bahá'í, [Hare Krishna]...I was almost an Anarchist in college...so it's been a search, and it's really been a search for order."

He is also confident that search will end with Catholicism.

When asked if someone like himself, who has practiced so many faiths, might not be expected to move on to yet another, he replied, "No, because I do not believe the Roman Catholic Church will change that much...and if it does, by then I'll be dead and gone to whatever reward I get. Let's face it, in the Roman Catholic Church it takes 200 years to change a light bulb."
Next step: Orthodoxy?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:46:34 AM »

One can hope.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:55:57 AM »

No, because I do not believe the Roman Catholic Church will change that much...and if it does, by then I'll be dead and gone to whatever reward I get
Im sure RC's around say, 1961 said the same thing.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:37:47 AM »

So, why is the Pope encouraging former married Episcopal priests to enter the RC priesthood...to the point of allowing them to skip the celibacy clause? 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »

So, why is the Pope encouraging former married Episcopal priests to enter the RC priesthood...to the point of allowing them to skip the celibacy clause? 
Something I asked when I learned about Eastern Catholics.....

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »

Interestingly, this particular priest and his wife both have agreed that they will be celibate.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 11:02:42 AM »

Yeah, I saw that....that's great for them....however, the Pope stated they don't have to be.

Is there a shortage of RC priests, that they are specifically targeting those who left the Episcopalian Church?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »

Interestingly, this particular priest and his wife both have agreed that they will be celibate.
Oh, what a set up for success  Roll Eyes

Gregory the Great

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »

Umm ... yes, there IS a shortage of RCC priests.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »

Is there a shortage of RC priests....?
In the U.S., Yep.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »

Is there a shortage of RC priests....?
In the U.S., Yep.
Yeah, four of the five Catholic priests where I live are imports from overseas.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »

For 20 years, Cornelius had been an Episcopal priest, but left the church two years ago...although he feels in a greater sense that the church left him.
Changing churches is nothing new to Cornelius, who before becoming an Episcopal priest had also practiced many other faiths.

"I started out as a fundamentalist Baptist. We were so conservative we thought the Southern Baptists would be going to hell," he laughed. "I've been a Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist...messed around with Bahá'í, [Hare Krishna]...I was almost an Anarchist in college...so it's been a search, and it's really been a search for order."

He is also confident that search will end with Catholicism.

When asked if someone like himself, who has practiced so many faiths, might not be expected to move on to yet another, he replied, "No, because I do not believe the Roman Catholic Church will change that much...and if it does, by then I'll be dead and gone to whatever reward I get. Let's face it, in the Roman Catholic Church it takes 200 years to change a light bulb."
It appears he's a part of the Anglican Ordinariate, so who knows?

But my experience with those folks is that they're more papist than the pope.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:02:59 PM »

Oh, what a set up for success  Roll Eyes

It's sometimes a case of easier done than said...
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 02:51:53 PM »

"This is Talk Of The Nation. I'm Neal Conan in Washington. It's now more than 10 years since the Boston Globe first broke the news that the archdiocese there covered up for priests who sexually abused children. Just this week, similar reports erupted in Los Angeles after lawyers for the church lost a long battle to keep tens of thousands of damning documents secret.

The long series of scandals has contributed to another problem for the Catholic Church: a shortage of priests. According to one survey, the number of priests in the United States has declined from 58,000 in 1965 to 39,000 in 2011. And amid this crisis, who might decide to enter the priesthood and why?"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:52:31 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: