OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 07:38:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catechumenate/catechism by long-distance - how can this be done?  (Read 373 times) Average Rating: 0
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« on: January 27, 2013, 12:20:36 AM »

Hello,

For someone who can attend church only occasionally (say once every two months at best), in what practical ways can a catechumenate and catechesis be carried out?

If you were or are in this situation as a catechumen, how did you and your priest work through this situation?

Thanks
Deborah

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:31:49 AM »

If the priest answers phone calls and e-mails, that could work. Or letters. It's like a long-distance relationship. It requires more effort.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:21:05 AM »

It depends on the priest and the bishop. It is irregular but it can be worked out and permission can be given.  My catechumenate was done by email and took a little over a year (my priest sent me tests on assigned readings) after 2 years as an inquirer. I could only afford to go to church once a year…the nearest was over 1600 miles away.  When the priest thought I was ready he told me and a friend we could come as soon as we could make arrangements.  Thereafter until I moved closer to a local parish (now my drive is only 2 hours) I could only afford to go once a year and sometimes once every two when times were tight.  It can be done, but you've got to work it out with your priest, and given the situation he may need permission/blessing from his bishop to do so…as was the case for me.

The Lord will work it out in His own time.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:22:28 AM by Seraphim98 » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:58:14 AM »

Well, if you don't have a really ancient, stone-age Priest from the old country who can't even use a cellphone, then you could try Skyping and hear lessons from your Priest via Skype.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:10:08 AM »

Thanks Shanghaiski, Seraphim98 and JamesR for your suggestions. Smiley

Shanghaiski - thanks for that.  My priest is readily contactable by email and phone.  However, he's very busy at present and doesn't really have time to answer questions that require detailed or lengthy answers, so that might not be the best way to conduct a catechism at this point in time.

Seraphim98 - I think I'm after something along the lines of what your priest took you through (for the theory side, anyway).  Can I ask what readings your priest assigned you?  Wow, 1600 miles away, that's exceptional...I imagine it would've required considerable effort, planning and flexibility on yours and the priest's part.  Two hours is still a considerable distance, but pales in comparison to 1600 miles. 

My parish is three hours away and I get there roughly every 2 months, so the situation is not so extreme.  However, I'm not going through any formal or structured form of catechesis.  Up to this point, most of my 'learning' has consisted of reading any books I can get my hands on, attending DL, OC.net, and asking the priest questions as I think of them.  The lack of structure and grounding in the basics (Orthodox theology, life and practice) is starting to tell, though...I haven't retained much of what I did read months ago (unfortunately I did not take notes as I read, and I no longer have the books to refer to), not sure how to answer questions about or defend Orthodoxy when questioned/grilled by local Protestant Christians, or how to live and deal with current life issues in an Orthodox way.  I'd like to start doing things a little differently, so will be in touch with my priest soon to see if we can work something out.

JamesR...my priest is definitely none of those things, but thanks for the (possibly unintended) humour - it gave me a laugh and a bit of light relief never goes astray! Cheesy  Skyping could work, we've had a few discussions that way...possibly if he sent me reading material by email, I work through it in my own time, return any assignments or set work by email, and conduct any follow up discussion by Skype.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, you've given me a few more ideas to run by the priest.  If anyone has other ideas, please throw them this way! Smiley

Thanks
Deborah

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: